Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:31 pm Haven't heard anything from TL.... he seems to have dropped off posting. I hope he is okay.
Thanks Maryland. I hope with you.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Was today a reality check for MD or just a very off day? It's been said on this site that if you contain a few key players, MD is no longer an exceptional team. I did not watch the second half but it appears that point was proven today. As far as JMU is concerned, much like Stony Brook they seem to get the most out of their talent each year.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Anyone have any idea why MD switched up the starting GK? I did not see the game, but just looked at the box.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:19 pm Was today a reality check for MD or just a very off day? It's been said on this site that if you contain a few key players, MD is no longer an exceptional team. I did not watch the second half but it appears that point was proven today. As far as JMU is concerned, much like Stony Brook they seem to get the most out of their talent each year.
Good thing too, because both need it now more than ever with no chance of grabbing an automatic bid
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:50 pm Anyone have any idea why MD switched up the starting GK? I did not see the game, but just looked at the box.
MD started their SR goalie as part of their Senior Day.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:19 pm Was today a reality check for MD or just a very off day? It's been said on this site that if you contain a few key players, MD is no longer an exceptional team. I did not watch the second half but it appears that point was proven today. As far as JMU is concerned, much like Stony Brook they seem to get the most out of their talent each year.
With teams like JMU and Stony Brook is that they have (a) great coaches that maximize the talent or (b) proof of how bad the recruiting rankings are?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

@inthe8m wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:51 pm
With teams like JMU and Stony Brook is that they have (a) great coaches that maximize the talent or (b) proof of how bad the recruiting rankings are?
1. JMU and Stony Brook get their fair share of top ranked players every year, hence why they are perennial top 20 teams.

2. UNC, BC, CUSE, NWSTERN and MD are where they are because they get the best ranked players every year and have the best classes.

There are clear talent tiers in womens lacrosse. its very easy to identify the best players in womens lacrosse. The cream of the crop, top 1%, about the top 25 of the best High School girls, most will committ to teams listed in 2.

then there are schools that get mostly mid tier or average players, with a sprinkling of 1 or 2 top 25 players. Schools like florida, virginia, notre dame, stony brook and JMU fall in this category.

then there are schools that get mostly low tier players with some mid-tier talents sprinkled in. this is your average D1 lacrosse school across all conferences.

clearly there is correlation between high recruiting rankings and success.

so i don't know what point you were trying to make. ofcourse there will always be some variation and situations where a highly ranked class doesn't pan out. but for the most part the rankings hold true.

Maryland is at a cross road. They are still getting tier 1 talent, however, not as much as they used to. Most of those girls are now going to BC and UNC. They are getting closer to NW instead of UNC and BC. Its just really hard to regain that momentum.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Agree that MD is at a crossroad. Some elite talent but in order to compete at a Final Four level you need depth of talent and limited weaknesses. I just don't think MD has the depth of talent like they did in their glory days. I say that because good teams will take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. When you slip from being a Top 4 team it is only natural that top in state talent will look elsewhere. Peaked at UNC roster and they are loaded with MD players. BC only has one impact player.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 pm BC only has one impact player.
How do you define “impact player”?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

This is not accurate. BC only has one super star. BC has a number of impact players and a team of competent, complementary players.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:26 am
This is not accurate. BC only has one super star. BC has a number of impact players and a team of competent, complementary players.
Medjid
Schleicher
Scales
Smith

Impact players.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:59 am
Medjid
Schleicher
Scales
Smith

Impact players.
^ +1 and probably a couple more. Many of whom combined to win the title last season. I'd say that is defined as "impact".
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:22 am
seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:59 am
Medjid
Schleicher
Scales
Smith

Impact players.
^ +1 and probably a couple more. Many of whom combined to win the title last season. I'd say that is defined as "impact".
Not every kid is Taylor Cummings, Kayla Treanor or Charlotte North. But if you score three goals in nearly every game (Medjid), or pick up six ground balls and win five or six draws a game (Schleicher), or lock down the other team's best scorer and help the defense clear effectively every game (Scales), or play two ways with good defense and score and assist a couple pretty much every game (Smith), I'd say you are having an impact. And I am not a BC fan-boy.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 pm Agree that MD is at a crossroad. Some elite talent but in order to compete at a Final Four level you need depth of talent and limited weaknesses. I just don't think MD has the depth of talent like they did in their glory days. I say that because good teams will take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. When you slip from being a Top 4 team it is only natural that top in state talent will look elsewhere. Peaked at UNC roster and they are loaded with MD players. BC only has one impact player.
Pretty sure they meant one "impact player"from Maryland while UNC is loaded with them.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:47 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 pm Agree that MD is at a crossroad. Some elite talent but in order to compete at a Final Four level you need depth of talent and limited weaknesses. I just don't think MD has the depth of talent like they did in their glory days. I say that because good teams will take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. When you slip from being a Top 4 team it is only natural that top in state talent will look elsewhere. Peaked at UNC roster and they are loaded with MD players. BC only has one impact player.
Pretty sure they meant one "impact player"from Maryland while UNC is loaded with them.
Of.. That could be.... Nevermind... (Said in Emily Litella voice)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:08 am
tothedraw wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:47 am
Of.. That could be.... Nevermind... (Said in Emily Litella voice)
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Yes - thought it was obvious I meant one impact player at BC from MD. BC is loaded with AA's so they obviously have their share of impact players, just not from MD. Sorry for the confusion.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:43 am Yes - thought it was obvious I meant one impact player at BC from MD. BC is loaded with AA's so they obviously have their share of impact players, just not from MD. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry, I missed the connection back to kids recruited from the state of Maryland. I just reacted to this sentence: "BC only has one impact player."
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

This is a bit to unpack, but let's get started :

Reality Check or Off Day??...maybe a little of both. Maryland is better than they have been the last couple of years, but maybe not as strong as before. However, Cathy, Lauri and Caitlyn have been together for a while so they will continue to strive to return to the top. If you know Cathy Reese, then you know that she is not satisfied with just being in the top ten.

JMU played well and deserved to win. Understand that from the point that the Terps led 6-5, JMU rolled off 5 unanswered goals. From 7:45 in the 2nd to 17 secs left in the 3rd quarter, Maryland did not score. That's some impressive Lacrosse, offensively and defensively, from the Dukes. Well done and Kudos to them.

The comparison between JMU and Stony Brook is hazy. JMU has one thing that SB does not yet have...A National Championship. Stony Brook has been a constant among the best programs in D1, since they hit the National scene in 2012 and they haven't looked back. The Seawolves getting to the Final Four is the next step towards their ultimate goal, the National Championship.
Shelley Klaes does a terrific job with her diverse talent(7 different states) and Joe Spallina does great with the treasure trove of talent that is Long Island, NY.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:45 am
This is a bit to unpack, but let's get started :

Reality Check or Off Day??...maybe a little of both. Maryland is better than they have been the last couple of years, but maybe not as strong as before. However, Cathy, Lauri and Caitlyn have been together for a while so they will continue to strive to return to the top. If you know Cathy Reese, then you know that she is not satisfied with just being in the top ten.

JMU played well and deserved to win. Understand that from the point that the Terps led 6-5, JMU rolled off 5 unanswered goals. From 7:45 in the 2nd to 17 secs left in the 3rd quarter, Maryland did not score. That's some impressive Lacrosse, offensively and defensively, from the Dukes. Well done and Kudos to them.

The comparison between JMU and Stony Brook is hazy. JMU has one thing that SB does not yet have...A National Championship. Stony Brook has been a constant among the best programs in D1, since they hit the National scene in 2012 and they haven't looked back. The Seawolves getting to the Final Four is the next step towards their ultimate goal, the National Championship.
Shelley Klaes does a terrific job with her diverse talent(7 different states) and Joe Spallina does great with the treasure trove of talent that is Long Island, NY.
I believe it is 8 states for JMU - PA, VA, NY, NJ, MD, MN, GA, MA. But, the point remains the same.

MD's biggest issue is that Reese is behind the times on recruiting (she is not the only coach behind the times) - there is talent to be had throughout the nation and she has stuck to the outdated model of recruiting kids from NY, MD, NJ, and PA. Nearly every girl who commits to MD gets put on the Top 100 list just because they commit to MD. I am not sure any other school has had as many supposedly Top 50 recruits who have not panned out. It is not an accident that MD's best player is a transfer.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”