SUNYAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNYAC 2022

Post by dp68 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:07 am
dp68 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:38 am Cortland put up their best team effort of the season against a strong Cabrini team, but fell again, this time by a score of 7-4. The Red Dragons defense and goaltender played much better than they had over the previous 3 games, keeping the game close. The clearing ride continues to be a strong point for Cortland.

But the offense . . . yikes.

This team used to run multiple ankle-breaking dodgers onto the field. Not anymore. I'm not sure what happened to recruiting.

But it's the shot quality which really stands out. Watch their games and you'll see a ton of a high-to-high shots with very little changes of plane. This shows up in the stats column, where Cortland is only scoring on 37% of their shots on goal. The NCAA average was something like 47% a few years ago, and I believe it has risen since. Easy pickings for the goalie. Also, a high-to-high save often sets up a fast break in the other direction. Not a winning combo.

If that isn't bad enough, the face off unit is winning 32% of the draws.
I think you have your stats wrong. 37% shooting is extremely high. That would make them a top 10 shooting team. The average has never been 47%, that might be an NCAA record
You're confusing shooting percentage with SOG scoring percentage. My fault. I should have been more clear.

NCAA shooting percentage falls somewhere around 24% most years, which is what you're referring to. However, roughly 50-60% of shots are on goal. SOG scoring percentage runs in the mid to upper 40s. Cortland scores on 37% of SOG. Their opponents score on 49% of shots on goal.

Put most simply, SOG scoring percentage = 100 - opponent's save percentage. In this case, opposing goalies have accumulated a 63% save percentage against Cortland.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

dp68 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:59 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:07 am
dp68 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:38 am Cortland put up their best team effort of the season against a strong Cabrini team, but fell again, this time by a score of 7-4. The Red Dragons defense and goaltender played much better than they had over the previous 3 games, keeping the game close. The clearing ride continues to be a strong point for Cortland.

But the offense . . . yikes.

This team used to run multiple ankle-breaking dodgers onto the field. Not anymore. I'm not sure what happened to recruiting.

But it's the shot quality which really stands out. Watch their games and you'll see a ton of a high-to-high shots with very little changes of plane. This shows up in the stats column, where Cortland is only scoring on 37% of their shots on goal. The NCAA average was something like 47% a few years ago, and I believe it has risen since. Easy pickings for the goalie. Also, a high-to-high save often sets up a fast break in the other direction. Not a winning combo.

If that isn't bad enough, the face off unit is winning 32% of the draws.
I think you have your stats wrong. 37% shooting is extremely high. That would make them a top 10 shooting team. The average has never been 47%, that might be an NCAA record
You're confusing shooting percentage with SOG scoring percentage. My fault. I should have been more clear.

NCAA shooting percentage falls somewhere around 24% most years, which is what you're referring to. However, roughly 50-60% of shots are on goal. SOG scoring percentage runs in the mid to upper 40s. Cortland scores on 37% of SOG. Their opponents score on 49% of shots on goal.

Put most simply, SOG scoring percentage = 100 - opponent's save percentage. In this case, opposing goalies have accumulated a 63% save percentage against Cortland.
gotcha that makes more sense
Collegelaxguy16

Post by Collegelaxguy16 »

Geneseo gets one on the board in the win column. Beat a Maritime team who gave them fits. #13 Cook looked great again and is going to be key for them to turn around their season. Tough stretch this week having to play Salisbury but sometimes you have to play good teams to make a name for yourself in the country despite the outcome.

SUNYAC is confusing me this year. Seems like Brockport has some senior leadership giving them the only winning record in the SUNYAC. Cortland played a tight game against Cabrini which is huge for them to gain some confidence. Oneonta is playing streaky right now. I feel like they can get hot and may make some noise. Geneseo was my favorite this year but have a long uphill battle. On a side note from the Geneseo game today, Oneonta beat Maritime a few weeks back by a couple so who knows what's going to happen going forward. Can't wait for conference play
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

HappyGilmore wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 am
Olaxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:21 pm Another huge 2nd half collapse by Oneonta against a mediocre Hartwick team. Oneonta up 8-3 at half loses 11-9. Poor play by oneonta's goalie including 2 more turnovers leading to goals and an inability by the coach to change the offense to generate scoring in the second half. Its a shame as Oneonta's defense played very well all game and they have a fair amount of offensive talent. But talent can't overcome a terrible coach and poor goaltending. Wonder how much longer he leaves his two senior goalies on the bench, hopefully for not too much longer. Saw the end of New Paltz vs. St. Mary's tough ot loss for New Paltz.
Why isn’t last years starter not in playing this year. Is he hurt?????
Not hurt. Oneonta's coach decided to go with a transfer over his two returning seniors goalies one being all-conference last year . My understanding is the team is not happy with his decision and a 1-4 start with the goalie playing poorly in the last 3 games is not helping team moral.
Last edited by Olaxfan on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:37 pm
SUNYAC is confusing me this year. Seems like Brockport has some senior leadership giving them the only winning record in the SUNYAC. Cortland played a tight game against Cabrini which is huge for them to gain some confidence. Oneonta is playing streaky right now. I feel like they can get hot and may make some noise. Geneseo was my favorite this year but have a long uphill battle. On a side note from the Geneseo game today, Oneonta beat Maritime a few weeks back by a couple so who knows what's going to happen going forward. Can't wait for conference play
Oneonta beat Maritime 13-6. Maritime is not as good as they have been the last few seasons and in the Oneonta game could not figure out how to clear against an off ride.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Olaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:25 pm
HappyGilmore wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 am
Olaxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:21 pm Another huge 2nd half collapse by Oneonta against a mediocre Hartwick team. Oneonta up 8-3 at half loses 11-9. Poor play by oneonta's goalie including 2 more turnovers leading to goals and an inability by the coach to change the offense to generate scoring in the second half. Its a shame as Oneonta's defense played very well all game and they have a fair amount of offensive talent. But talent can't overcome a terrible coach and poor goaltending. Wonder how much longer he leaves his two senior goalies on the bench, hopefully for not too much longer. Saw the end of New Paltz vs. St. Mary's tough ot loss for New Paltz.
Why isn’t last years starter not in playing this year. Is he hurt?????
Not hurt. Oneonta's coach decided to go with a transfer over his two returning seniors goalies one being all-conference last year . My understanding is the team is not happy with his decision and a 1-4 start with the goalie playing poorly in the last 3 games is not helping team moral.
That’s too bad. Jordy killed it last year.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Big win for Cortland on the road against Roanoke, 15-11. Much better ball movement and shooting today. The keeper stole the show with 17 saves, against only 7 for the Roanoke goalie. The Red Dragons have looked like a much different team over the last two games. This was by far the best offensive showing of the season.
Vermont25

Post by Vermont25 »

What happened to Esposito at Corland, did he transfer to a D1 school? He was talented enough.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Espo left school in October, after being accepted to the academy for NYPD. It was a shocker for everyone involved. Wagner is not as athletic as Espo, but he seems to be settling in after a rough start to the season. He stacked a bunch of saves in the middle of the Roanoke game which gave his team a big boost. The Dragons offense has lagged behind, but showed some positive signs yesterday. Shooting needs to improve, and they need to do a better job of cashing in transition opportunities.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Starting to get excited for SUNYACS this year… teams are all over the place and it’s going to be a very interesting year.

Cortland finally had a great team win, and I hope they can continue to build on some of their strengths… Number 4 Yacavone is the key element to the offense and he’s leadership role will help them succeed. Oneonta is up and down but could make some noise with their zone D… Geneseo has potential, but tough to judge with some of their games this year. #13 is the main character of their season. He needs to keep this pace, and should definitely see some SUNYAC recognition…

The other teams are all at different levels… New paltz is still a new team and needs multiple years before they start competing. Potsdam, Plattsburgh, and Oswego seem to be having weaker years, but have potential to turn things around to hopefully make the SUNYACS competitive… but wow, look at Brockport this year finally making some noise! They seem to have the talent every year but fall short. I realize they haven’t played the strongest competition yet, but they are still putting up a bunch of points which is a great sign… but man does their defense stand out to me… the have 2 STRONG D middies and a confident close defender who seem to control the pace of the team. #20 is a caused turnover machine for the eagles, while #27 and #13 have yet to be run by… all 3 are top tier defenders and teams should avoid them at all costs….

If Brockport’s offense can continue to score, look for them to be the #2, #3 seed this year… so excited to see all these teams compete against eachother…
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Brockport just went to OT with #14 John Carroll?!
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

They did! Without one of their starting attack guys #5.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

SunyLaxFan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:37 pm Brockport just went to OT with #14 John Carroll?!
Where do you see John Carroll at #14, they are not on any poll I see. Cant seem them as a top 20 team.
Collegelaxguy16

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 pm
SunyLaxFan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:37 pm Brockport just went to OT with #14 John Carroll?!
Where do you see John Carroll at #14, they are not on any poll I see. Cant seem them as a top 20 team.
I have been placed in 14th by one poll. If you look at Brockport's website, they have them at 14 so it must be published somewhere. I honestly was surprised to see JCU in the top 20 because IMO, they aren't loaded and play in the OAC which hasn't seen much growth in a while but somehow can beat anyone. I think this was a great test for Brockport to finally play a team we can call respectable. Good game from them, looking for them to make some noise during SUNYAC play.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 pm
Lacrosse Magazine #14 latest poll.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

First round of SUYNAC games this Saturday... What is everyone thinking for early conference rankings/predictions?
fanOlax

Post by fanOlax »

1) Cortland - down from the past but not out.
2) Geneseo - as long as the team weathers the difficulty of the early schedule.
3) Brockport - coach wineburgs experienced eagles have looked solid.
4) Oneonta - assuming the coach doesn’t screw up a team with some talent.
5-7) Oswego, Plattsburgh, Potsdam - in no specific order.
8) New Paltz - new program, ask again in 2-3 more years
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

1) Geneseo/Cortland
3) Brockport
4) Oneonta
5) Oswego
6) Plattsburgh
7) New Paltz
8) Potsdam

1 and 2 are clear favorites this year. Both have played tough OOC schedule but won zero games that matter. Brockport is clear third IMHO. New Paltz will win a SUNYAC game this year, my guess is against Potsdam or Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh losses to Norwich and Hartwick (by 7) is concerning. Oneonta could be 3, 4, or 5 depending on what team shows up.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

fanOlax wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:03 pm 1) Cortland - down from the past but not out.
2) Geneseo - as long as the team weathers the difficulty of the early schedule.
3) Brockport - coach wineburgs experienced eagles have looked solid.
4) Oneonta - assuming the coach doesn’t screw up a team with some talent.
5-7) Oswego, Plattsburgh, Potsdam - in no specific order.
8) New Paltz - new program, ask again in 2-3 more years
This looks probable as Plattsburgh and Potsdam have looked even worse than Oneonta. Plattsburgh getting lit up by Hartwick is concerning and Potsdam cant get past not having Huitt. Be interesting to see if Oneonta's offense ever reappears or if Owens' coaching has destroyed a talented team. 1-5 and only scored 10 goals in a game one time in that stretch. I think New Paltz may end up with an upset win over a Sunyac team this season.
Collegelaxguy16

CrazyPeople wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:44 am 1) Geneseo/Cortland
3) Brockport
4) Oneonta
5) Oswego
6) Plattsburgh
7) New Paltz
8) Potsdam

1 and 2 are clear favorites this year. Both have played tough OOC schedule but won zero games that matter. Brockport is clear third IMHO. New Paltz will win a SUNYAC game this year, my guess is against Potsdam or Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh losses to Norwich and Hartwick (by 7) is concerning. Oneonta could be 3, 4, or 5 depending on what team shows up.
I agree with this list. I think Cortland wins again this year just from pure domination in the history of the SUNYAC. I think Geneseo will give them a run for their money and Brockport might surprise Cortland/Geneseo if those two don't play their A game.

1: Cortland
2: Geneseo
3: Brockport
4: Oneonta
5: Oswego
6: Plattsburgh
7/8: New Paltz/Potsdam- Either team could beat each other

I would say the biggest upset will probably come from Brockport in the SUNYAC. I like them as a dark horse to make a run at the championship

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”