Schools Without DI Programs That Would Do The Best With Them?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Schools Without DI Programs That Would Do The Best With Them?

Post by gymman1031 »

I say Clemson and Colorado would be two.
lorin

Re: Schools Without DI Programs That Would Do The Best With Them?

Post by lorin »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:55 pm I say Clemson and Colorado would be two.
UGA
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Have you been around Clemson? Lacrosse would never catch on there. It’s not the old money south that gets attracted to the game like a Furman or Suwanee (formerly University of the south).

Culturally more likely at the Grove-Ole Miss if picking large southern state schools. Other than UF but if it didn’t happen under Hobart alum AD Jeremy foley at UF that should tell you a lot.

Ga Tech has had club success and there’s not even BOT level discussions to begin to discuss that.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wake Forest, Boston College
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Stanford
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:58 pmStanford
That’s been discussed and their dropping sports (or attempt to did they pull that back?) recently kills most discussions there. Unless the hotel air grandkid and baby daddy for Elizabeth Holmes wants to buy her a honorary degree and some NoCal street cred by endowing it.
See Martin, Malcolm
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm
That’s been discussed and their dropping sports (or attempt to did they pull that back?) recently kills most discussions there. Unless the hotel air grandkid and baby daddy for Elizabeth Holmes wants to buy her a honorary degree and some NoCal street cred by endowing it.
None of these schools are actually going to add men's lacrosse. The prompt was who would do best with the sport if it was hypothetically to be added. The answer is Stanford.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:35 pm
None of these schools are actually going to add men's lacrosse. The prompt was who would do best with the sport if it was hypothetically to be added. The answer is Stanford.
Ah well then I pick U Hawaii and Pepperdine.
See Martin, Malcolm
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Agree on Stanford. If the question was "Who is adding lax next?", that's harder to answer. Can you start a program without dedicated facilities? Natural rivals? A conference affiliation? Fan base? And then once you start it, can you sustain it?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:44 pm
Agree on Stanford. If the question was "Who is adding lax next?", that's harder to answer. Can you start a program without dedicated facilities? Natural rivals? A conference affiliation? Fan base? And then once you start it, can you sustain it?
I still wonder about William and Mary and possibly ODU. Problem is Butler. They went all in on BB and killed a fairly competent lacrosse program in 04 headed by Stan Ross. Bumped in and out of top 20 wasn’t dissimilar too what HPU and Richmond have built. Subsequently went to a couple of NCAA final fours and even finals. Gives administrations the blueprint that opposes the idea that strong mid major BB schools w/o football or FCS football are strong candidates to add lacrosse.
See Martin, Malcolm
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

2 schools I always wondered about were Seton Hall and U Buffalo. Both in hotbed areas- I get that Buffalo has football at a high level but seems like a natural. neither school has a women's team
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

backerzone wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 pm 2 schools I always wondered about were Seton Hall and U Buffalo. Both in hotbed areas- I get that Buffalo has football at a high level but seems like a natural. neither school has a women's team
SUNY system hurting bad financially. No guarantee Bing maintains their program.
See Martin, Malcolm
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Florida or Miami. Coeds and no confirmation there's a library on campus or need for one. They have a strong instate northeast ex pat communities, the schools are well regarded instate, and the south is loaded with athletes. Strong athletic traditions, although the Miami folks have been barking they're not giving the programs the resources they need. Problem is convincing a stud to give up a football or basketball full ride for a sport that doesn't register for hundreds of miles. Also coeds and no studying.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

USC.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

backerzone wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 pm 2 schools I always wondered about were Seton Hall and U Buffalo. Both in hotbed areas- I get that Buffalo has football at a high level but seems like a natural. neither school has a women's team
U of Buffalo recently dropped baseball, soccer & swimming. Those programs were actually decent teams. They’re putting all their resources into a very mediocre football program. Highly unlikely there’s much support for a start up program. Especially when Canisius is only 3 miles down the road & they aren’t drawing many locals
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Columbia. Ivy. NYC internships. Paging Mr. Kraft...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:41 pmUSC.
Could go w most PaC12 schools-Arizona, Arizona St (both have girls that surpass the Cali schools), USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Cal.

Texas, SMU & Baylor.

Rice, Vandy.

Tulane

South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville
See Martin, Malcolm
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Strongly disagree since there are no D1 schools on the west coast, and won't be anytime soon or later. While Stanford clearly has the funds, no way they spend/invest money to fly a team across country every week. Even if the current hypo Prez was all-in, the new hypo Prez would drop it later.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:36 pm Florida or Miami. Coeds and no confirmation there's a library on campus or need for one. They have a strong instate northeast ex pat communities, the schools are well regarded instate, and the south is loaded with athletes. Strong athletic traditions, although the Miami folks have been barking they're not giving the programs the resources they need. Problem is convincing a stud to give up a football or basketball full ride for a sport that doesn't register for hundreds of miles. Also coeds and no studying.
Isn't that already Jacksonville?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:22 pm Columbia. Ivy. NYC internships. Paging Mr. Kraft...
I seriously doubt it'd be any better than Columbia football.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”