Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by keno in reno »

AOD wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 am
backerzone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 pm
RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:45 am NJ high school ballers may start to stay at home.
Or see that BB brings in portal guys every year and go elsewhere.
NJ HS players go elsewhere anyway. It amazes me how poorly BB has fared in luring NJ recruits during his tenure. RU has much to offer at nearly half the price of its out of state competition. Of course, BB's conference record at RU could be the cause as well.
This is a phenomenon much bigger than 1 lacrosse coach. Much like Canadian Geese or the Swallows of Capistrano, Jersey kids graduate HS and get the hell out of the state for college. Out of state tuition is no problem. "Southern" schools from Delaware, Maryland, VA all the way down to Florida welcome their parents' money and the schools become Little Manhattans every year. Just the way it is.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am
RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:45 am NJ high school ballers may start to stay at home.
NJ HS players go elsewhere anyway. It amazes me how poorly BB has fared in luring NJ recruits during his tenure. RU has much to offer at nearly half the price of its out of state competition. Of course, BB's conference record at RU could be the cause as well.
This is a phenomenon much bigger than 1 lacrosse coach. Much like Canadian Geese or the Swallows of Capistrano, Jersey kids graduate HS and get the hell out of the state for college. Out of state tuition is no problem. "Southern" schools from Delaware, Maryland, VA all the way down to Florida welcome their parents' money and the schools become Little Manhattans every year. Just the way it is.
It’s a pretty affluent state, the best lacrosse is generally in north Jersey. A lot of, not all, the families from that area probably feel they are above Rutgers. It’s unfortunate but a part of reality.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:46 pm Get some Nova
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... skin/58109

Cats quietly had a nice summer in the portal, looks like four impact guys.
Basile and Keating will be join Justin Coppola at Villanova.Garden City alums together once more.NICE!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:59 pm
RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 pm Where is keegan kahn rumored to land?
MD, UNC, UVA
UVA?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:46 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:59 pm
RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 pm Where is keegan kahn rumored to land?
MD, UNC, UVA
UVA?
That's been the schools rumored on here
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

It's not BB's fault, lots of NJ kids (parents) scoff at Rutgers, it's never in the conversation, especially the privates. BB has no choice but to go out of state and to the portal, look at all the success he has had with the Utah boys, Georgia, Texas, the pacific NW, etc and now the transfers. The only way to change the minds of the parents of NJ's "elites" is to become a year in and year out National Championship contenter and I still don't know if that will be enough. Not a BB problem, a state and the way RU is viewed by all in state problem.

Oh also when was the last time you saw Rutgers players in the portal, not many... Especially those of impact caliber
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jerseyjames wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:18 pm
It's not BB's fault, lots of NJ kids (parents) scoff at Rutgers, it's never in the conversation, especially the privates. BB has no choice but to go out of state and to the portal, look at all the success he has had with the Utah boys, Georgia, Texas, the pacific NW, etc and now the transfers. The only way to change the minds of the parents of NJ's "elites" is to become a year in and year out National Championship contenter and I still don't know if that will be enough. Not a BB problem, a state and the way RU is viewed by all in state problem.

Oh also when was the last time you saw Rutgers players in the portal, not many... Especially those of impact caliber
The problem isn't unique to New Jersey. It's not all that different in New York. Yes, Albany's had a couple of runs, but NY kids don't stay home either. What's the best undergrad of the SUNY schools? Binghampton, I think. And how's that program been? I guess I'd say that given the amount of talent in NY (including LI), Rutgers does comparatively much better than the SUNY schools.
AOD

Post by AOD »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:35 am
It’s a pretty affluent state, the best lacrosse is generally in north Jersey. A lot of, not all, the families from that area probably feel they are above Rutgers. It’s unfortunate but a part of reality.
That's an overgeneralization that excuses BB without truly addressing the issue. Lacrosse is no longer the sport of the affluent in NJ. It's found it's way into most communities in the State - so much so that NJ sends more lacrosse players to college than every state but NY. An unfortunate fact of today's modern education system is that many families must borrow to send their student to college. This includes NJ lacrosse players. And this is where RU has a distinct advantage in terms of cost to attend.

Focusing on northern NJ and ignoring southern NJ is a mistake. Maryland's 2017 championship team had 4 players from southern NJ on its roster (including 2 starters) and none from northern NJ. UVa's 2019 championship team had three players from southern NJ on its roster and 1 from northern NJ. Fine lacrosse players can be found throughout the State.

An simple and obvious truth about RU lacrosse is the sub-par play of their FOGOs. Yet, year after year NJ produces some of the best FOGOs in the nation. BB needs to identify those players when they're in the local high schools. BB must do better with in-state recruiting.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

There’s also the simple explanation of - compared to much of the Big Ten and ACC, Rutgers really isn’t that nice. Most kids would much rather be on the following campuses for academic, social, and campus reasons.

Ann Arbor, MI
Chapel Hill, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Columbus, OH (Most similar to RU but with a lot more going on)
State College, PA

Of the big state schools with college lacrosse they have probably the least attractive campus, worst social life, don’t stand out academically, worst football gameday environment, and worst surrounding town.

I think Brecht does a great job of getting good jersey kids, but theres a logical pecking order of these schools. Very few kids will choose Rutgers over UNC or UVA. They can beat out Michigan and Ohio State based on proximity to east coast and other factors. They should get into the mix with Penn State more, but over the last 10 years Penn State has typically out recruited them. Look no further than the 2021 NJ OPOY and DPOY are headed to Happy Valley.

You have to keep in mind that if the NJ kids are very good then they will be getting good money from out of state schools too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:47 am There’s also the simple explanation of - compared to much of the Big Ten and ACC, Rutgers really isn’t that nice. Most kids would much rather be on the following campuses for academic, social, and campus reasons.

Ann Arbor, MI
Chapel Hill, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Columbus, OH (Most similar to RU but with a lot more going on)
State College, PA

Of the big state schools with college lacrosse they have probably the least attractive campus, worst social life, don’t stand out academically, worst football gameday environment, and worst surrounding town.

I think Brecht does a great job of getting good jersey kids, but theres a logical pecking order of these schools. Very few kids will choose Rutgers over UNC or UVA. They can beat out Michigan and Ohio State based on proximity to east coast and other factors. They should get into the mix with Penn State more, but over the last 10 years Penn State has typically out recruited them. Look no further than the 2021 NJ OPOY and DPOY are headed to Happy Valley.

You have to keep in mind that if the NJ kids are very good then they will be getting good money from out of state schools too.
Rutgers has an odd campus complex. My wife did her post doc there and we were in the area for 3 years. Really wasn’t that nice. The New Brunswick has seen some development / revitalization but not sure I would call the campus nice.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

AOD wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 am
That's an overgeneralization that excuses BB without truly addressing the issue. Lacrosse is no longer the sport of the affluent in NJ. It's found it's way into most communities in the State - so much so that NJ sends more lacrosse players to college than every state but NY. An unfortunate fact of today's modern education system is that many families must borrow to send their student to college. This includes NJ lacrosse players. And this is where RU has a distinct advantage in terms of cost to attend.

Focusing on northern NJ and ignoring southern NJ is a mistake. Maryland's 2017 championship team had 4 players from southern NJ on its roster (including 2 starters) and none from northern NJ. UVa's 2019 championship team had three players from southern NJ on its roster and 1 from northern NJ. Fine lacrosse players can be found throughout the State.

An simple and obvious truth about RU lacrosse is the sub-par play of their FOGOs. Yet, year after year NJ produces some of the best FOGOs in the nation. BB needs to identify those players when they're in the local high schools. BB must do better with in-state recruiting.
No doubt BB needs to do a better job with FOGO's and Goalies for that matter, those have been his bugaboo's since day 1. But as to your points about UVA and UMD especially paired with the affluent statement its pretty laughable, you must not be from NJ. From UVA 2 went to the Lawrenceville School, one from Princeton and the other from Rumson... (neither of those towns are SJ and neither would ever consider RU) and then the third is from Shawnee, a rich Philly suburb that has long been a lacrosse hot bed, again not really a RU demo and honestly those people ID with Philly more then NJ. UMD pretty much the same story you had a Shawnee, St. Augustine, Montgomery/Princeton and the only one I would give you is Allentown but the kid was a UMass Lowell transfer, everyone missed on the kid...

I really don't see the issue, he's getting Jersey kids where he can, if you look at the rosters its mostly Central Jersey kids, not North or South. Recruiting is a numbers game and a time game, BB and Co. can't be wasting time with kids from families who will never consider RU, to be honest I believe BB doesn't even waste much time with North Jersey as he knows they are looking out of state, BB knows there are plenty of elite out of state kids who would love the chance to play at RU. Hopefully if the success is sustained things may change but he has supplanted the lack of being able to attract elite NJ talent with elite out of state talent and transfers which seems to be working just fine.

Also who is an elite NJ player from a blue collar SJ town, the only one I can think of is Cole at St. Joes and again we addressed how bad he is at IDing FOGOs. Not trying to be down on SJ lacrosse its come along way as you said lots of "fine" players but fine players go to Stockton, not RU
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I feel like this is the same discussion you can have with UMBC...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rutgers is a much better school than UMBC. Top 20-25 public school in the US.

The problem is the program has no history of winning and New Brunswick stinks. It’s not Princeton academically, nor Penn State socially. Kind of in this mushy middle where it’s fine in a lot of areas but not particularly strong in any. There will always be a better school, a more fun school, a school with more tradition/history, a school in a livelier town. I don’t blame Brecht for recruiting issues. I grew up in NJ and Rutgers while a pretty popular destination was ultimately the last resort for a lot of kids. The wave of transfers could help winning and make the program more attractive in the short term but I do wonder how many homegrown recruits will be put off by it. Brecht is essentially plugging every single hole on the roster with transfers rather than using his own guys. Hell if he keeps this up he may not even need any recruits.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am Brecht is essentially plugging every single hole on the roster with transfers rather than using his own guys. Hell if he keeps this up he may not even need any recruits.
Exactly.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

backerzone wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am Brecht is essentially plugging every single hole on the roster with transfers rather than using his own guys. Hell if he keeps this up he may not even need any recruits.
Exactly.
So if Brecht doesn't bring transfers in, and his team is worse than what it could have been, is he doing his job?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:20 pm
backerzone wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm
Exactly.
So if Brecht doesn't bring transfers in, and his team is worse than what it could have been, is he doing his job?
A little confused by this. There is the equal possibility that he brings in all of these transfers and the team is worse. Only time will tell, each team and season is a different animal.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:05 pm
jerseyjames wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:18 pm

The problem isn't unique to New Jersey. It's not all that different in New York. Yes, Albany's had a couple of runs, but NY kids don't stay home either. What's the best undergrad of the SUNY schools? Binghamton, I think. And how's that program been? I guess I'd say that given the amount of talent in NY (including LI), Rutgers does comparatively much better than the SUNY schools.
Can’t compare the flagship in a state vs the NY system where the intentionally spread the resources across the four SUNY centers to more properly allow the subsidy to flow to in state residents as opposed to the non Cali extreme examples like PSU, UVA, Mich, UT, etc where resources historically were disproportionately skewed towards one (maybe two if you want to count VaTech, Mich St, UPitt but then it slides fast downhill in those states).

Fixed Binghamton for you as well (my hometown).
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AOD wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 am

There was a beefier kid at FOGO not too long ago who was pretty good, within the last decade I believe. We were pleased with a unknown Matt Pedicine at Hobart for sure. Think back in mid 2000s our guy John Soden was also a NJ kid.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am Rutgers is a much better school than UMBC. Top 20-25 public school in the US.

The problem is the program has no history of winning and New Brunswick stinks. It’s not Princeton academically, nor Penn State socially. Kind of in this mushy middle where it’s fine in a lot of areas but not particularly strong in any. There will always be a better school, a more fun school, a school with more tradition/history, a school in a livelier town. I don’t blame Brecht for recruiting issues. I grew up in NJ and Rutgers while a pretty popular destination was ultimately the last resort for a lot of kids. The wave of transfers could help winning and make the program more attractive in the short term but I do wonder how many homegrown recruits will be put off by it. Brecht is essentially plugging every single hole on the roster with transfers rather than using his own guys. Hell if he keeps this up he may not even need any recruits.
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... -brunswick

Look pretty similar on paper...size is obviously a difference. UMBC should be better if we are going by those academic standards...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:15 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am Rutgers is a much better school than UMBC. Top 20-25 public school in the US.

https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... -brunswick

Look pretty similar on paper...size is obviously a difference. UMBC should be better if we are going by those academic standards...
Huh? According to your own link, Rutgers has a much higher graduation rate, a higher starting salary and earnings after 10 years, and a better student: teacher ratio. Rutgers also has a lot more money to work with. Not sure they are that similar.

In any case, even if they were the exact same school, UMBC is recruiting against the America East. So it's not in a terrible position relative to its peers. Rutgers has to recruit against the rest of the Big Ten.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”