Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:28 am
I don’t think Dunn’s 36% necessarily tells the whole story. He turned a lot of faceoffs into 50/50s but didn’t get much help from the wings especially in the second half of the season after Mabbett went down. He also won way more than 36% of clamps. I think it’s reasonable to expect a bit of a jump in % for him next season.

Callahan could help next year, and it’s hard to argue with 86% as a senior for Victor but I wonder how good the competition up there really is. I don’t know enough about it personally but people in the area have been saying central and western NY high school lacrosse isn’t what it used to be.
Faceoffs could be lights out next year, especially with Fernandez on the wings.
The offense should flow better next year for multiple reasons but I still think they need to bring in an offensive transfer from the portal.
Perhaps Zinn could step up into an offensive middie role but he's been so good in transition I think that's a move you may want to avoid.
Not sure who else on the roster could step up into that role or if there's a incoming frosh who looks promising there.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:16 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:28 am
I don’t think Dunn’s 36% necessarily tells the whole story. He turned a lot of faceoffs into 50/50s but didn’t get much help from the wings especially in the second half of the season after Mabbett went down. He also won way more than 36% of clamps. I think it’s reasonable to expect a bit of a jump in % for him next season.

Callahan could help next year, and it’s hard to argue with 86% as a senior for Victor but I wonder how good the competition up there really is. I don’t know enough about it personally but people in the area have been saying central and western NY high school lacrosse isn’t what it used to be.
Faceoffs could be lights out next year, especially with Fernandez on the wings.
The offense should flow better next year for multiple reasons but I still think they need to bring in an offensive transfer from the portal.
Perhaps Zinn could step up into an offensive middie role but he's been so good in transition I think that's a move you may want to avoid.
Not sure who else on the roster could step up into that role or if there's a incoming frosh who looks promising there.
I would leave Zinn at SSDM and use him on the wings extensively. We need his athleticism there far more than on offense. Doesn’t mean we can’t leave him in on offense from time to time following face offs or after transition.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Zinn was just starting to get more comfortable in his new role toward the end of the year. The kid is a one man clear when he wants to be and a transition opportunity waiting to happen every time the ball is in his stick. I’d expect him to pick up where he left off there.

Brunner is also in the portal. Roster is slowly but surely thinning out a bit.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 pm Zinn was just starting to get more comfortable in his new role toward the end of the year. The kid is a one man clear when he wants to be and a transition opportunity waiting to happen every time the ball is in his stick. I’d expect him to pick up where he left off there.

this is looking like a brutal group
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/commits/jhu/2019

angelus the only regular, marcille shined late. Big hole in the roster.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 pm Zinn was just starting to get more comfortable in his new role toward the end of the year. The kid is a one man clear when he wants to be and a transition opportunity waiting to happen every time the ball is in his stick. I’d expect him to pick up where he left off there.

Jaronski isn't a regular?

Szuluk is also in that class.

The 2020 class will make up for it, not that they really need to. You've wanted to send all these kids packing for years and now that they're actually doing that you're worried the class isn't deep enough? Just searching for stuff to complain about.

Let's look at 2021 contributors by year:

Grad students: 2 (Williams, Kirson)
Seniors: 7 (DeSimone, Reinson, Keogh, Baskin, Delaney, Shure, Lyne)<---DeSo, Reinson, Keogh are back
Juniors: 7 (Epstein, Degnon, Narewski, Zinn, Mabbett, McManus, Lilly)<---fairly solid group
Sophomores: 4 (Angelus, Szuluk, Jaronski, Marcille)
Freshmen: 6 (Grimes, Peshko, McDermott, Martin, Dunn, Deans)<---potential to be a VERY strong group

It's not some massive hole. The distribution of production is not going to be perfectly even across every class. If there was *zero* contribution from an entire class then maybe that's worth discussing. But that's not the case. It's fine.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Owen Murphy looked pretty good... anyone know where he’s going? Assuming he cannot return to JHU
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Owen Murphy looked pretty good... anyone know where he’s going? Assuming he cannot return to JHU
[/quote]

Not substantiated yet, but I’ve heard from more than one source that the Terps is a probable landing spot. Probably depends on Bensons retention.

Syracuse would seem logical if Petro ends up there. His younger brother is also a Loyola commit.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

The 2020 class will make up for it, not that they really need to. You've wanted to send all these kids packing for years and now that they're actually doing that you're worried the class isn't deep enough? Just searching for stuff to complain about.

Seniors: 7 (DeSimone, Reinson, Keogh, Baskin, Delaney, Shure, Lyne)<---DeSo, Reinson, Keogh are back
Juniors: 7 (Epstein, Degnon, Narewski, Zinn, Mabbett, McManus, Lilly)<---fairly solid group
Freshmen: 6 (Grimes, Peshko, McDermott, Martin, Dunn, Deans)<---potential to be a VERY strong group

It's not some massive hole. The distribution of production is not going to be perfectly even across every class. If there was *zero* contribution from an entire class then maybe that's worth discussing. But that's not the case. It's fine.
I understand Keough was hurt, but to me he didn't offer much. szuluk was a transfer which is why I didn't count him earlier. You didn't mention smith who I think is the only top 50 defensive recruit on the roster.
Rather interesting to watch how cuse decided to just replace desko w/gait w/out any kind of public search and the approach hopkins took hiring an outside search firm and going through an interview process.
DocBarrister

Keegan Khan

Post by DocBarrister »

Any word on whether Keegan Khan has visited, or will visit, Johns Hopkins on his transfer interview tour?

@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:16 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

I understand Keough was hurt, but to me he didn't offer much. szuluk was a transfer which is why I didn't count him earlier. You didn't mention smith who I think is the only top 50 defensive recruit on the roster.
Rather interesting to watch how cuse decided to just replace desko w/gait w/out any kind of public search and the approach hopkins took hiring an outside search firm and going through an interview process.
For all we know (and I know nothing), GGait took the WLax job with the understanding that when the MLax position was available that he would get it. As an aside, I once accepted a position with a similar understanding, and shortly afterwards, the exec with whom I had the understanding was canned, leaving me with a whole lot of nothing. And I would be surprised if those kinds of understandings are written into ironclad contract clauses.

As far as JHU, I understand that that outside search firm conducted a national search, and ended with somebody with no direct ties to JHU, but with ties to many in his chain of command.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Re: Keegan Khan

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 am Any word on whether Keegan Khan has visited, or will visit, Johns Hopkins on his transfer interview tour?

No idea, he may have but if the rumor that he wants to play at X is true, I can’t really see why he’d pick us. We already have two guys that can play there. I also have no idea if we’re even interested—as others have mentioned it sure seems like the staff is mostly into guys with multiple years of eligiblity. Khan only has 1 more. Maybe he’s talented enough where you go for it anyway. Long story short I highly doubt we’re one of the favorites to land him. My first guess rhymes with Puke. I’m sure Brian Brecht is sending him a gift basket as well.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 am Any word on whether Keegan Khan has visited, or will visit, Johns Hopkins on his transfer interview tour?

He did not. As I understand it was between Maryland, UNC, UVA. I’d expect an announcement today or tomorrow.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins does not need a transfer attackman - especially for just a year. If Matt Moore wanted to go to a Hopkins graduate program then I suppose you would have to listen but other than that - attack is pretty set. An attack line of DeSimone/Epstein/Grimes would be fine - an uninterrupted fall and "spring" practice should help immeasurably. Your mid-fields are still sprinkled with a few converted attackmen - if you had a shot at a more true mid-fielder type maybe. Seems like there are more than a few bodies on the defensive side - roster needs to continue to shrink - not grow.

The stats on the Victor F/O young man notwithstanding, we also seem to be ignoring that there are 12 additions to the team next year. We all say those IL or Xander rankings don't matter but if the 12 incoming were laden with Top 50 4 and 5 stars, there would be multiple posts about how Schmidlap and McGillicuddy were going to help the team and do this and that and how we "know" they are laden with talent.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlax

Put another way choosing to consider a school as a potential choice involves factors that the institution controls. For example net cost to families; admission standards, support level of program, size, sports profile eg power conference, friends who attend, alumni relations, workload effort required to remain in school etc

It’s more than a coach identifying top 10 targets a defense without considering the filter of the institution.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 am Hopkins does not need a transfer attackman - especially for just a year. If Matt Moore wanted to go to a Hopkins graduate program then I suppose you would have to listen but other than that - attack is pretty set. An attack line of DeSimone/Epstein/Grimes would be fine - an uninterrupted fall and "spring" practice should help immeasurably. Your mid-fields are still sprinkled with a few converted attackmen - if you had a shot at a more true mid-fielder type maybe. Seems like there are more than a few bodies on the defensive side - roster needs to continue to shrink - not grow.

The stats on the Victor F/O young man notwithstanding, we also seem to be ignoring that there are 12 additions to the team next year. We all say those IL or Xander rankings don't matter but if the 12 incoming were laden with Top 50 4 and 5 stars, there would be multiple posts about how Schmidlap and McGillicuddy were going to help the team and do this and that and how we "know" they are laden with talent.
Agree on the roster size and on the one year rental, but I would certainly take an actual offensive middie or two with some eligibility remaining. Grant Mitchell from OSU?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 am

He did not. As I understand it was between Maryland, UNC, UVA. I’d expect an announcement today or tomorrow.
Maryland, UNC, UVa? That's just gross. Shocking Duke isn't on the list. Free agency in college lax isn't much different than it is in MLB, I guess. It's going to take some getting used to.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 am Hopkins does not need a transfer attackman - especially for just a year. If Matt Moore wanted to go to a Hopkins graduate program then I suppose you would have to listen but other than that - attack is pretty set. An attack line of DeSimone/Epstein/Grimes would be fine - an uninterrupted fall and "spring" practice should help immeasurably. Your mid-fields are still sprinkled with a few converted attackmen - if you had a shot at a more true mid-fielder type maybe. Seems like there are more than a few bodies on the defensive side - roster needs to continue to shrink - not grow.

I would agree with this but PM was pretty aggressive last year kirson, szulak, delaney, fernandez.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:15 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 am

Maryland, UNC, UVa? That's just gross. Shocking Duke isn't on the list. Free agency in college lax isn't much different than it is in MLB, I guess. It's going to take some getting used to.
That list of finalists would suggest that the intel that was posted here that he wants to play behind the cage was not entirely accurate.

Remember this when fans of certain teams act all sanctimonious because their teams didn't take in as many transfers as others. It's not for a lack of trying!

I'm not sure why UVA would even want him—they clearly do not need another ball-carrying attackman. It would also mean three righties on attack and another year of Cormier running midfield. And perhaps more young talent heading for the hills, a la Maher. Would do more harm than good for them, IMO.

If Maryland gets Donville, Khan, and Murphy, they are also going to have some unhappy campers waiting in the wings. And Tillman would supplant Corrigan/Dino as lax twitter's Enemy Numero Uno for the upcoming season.

I agree with you re: Mitchell, seems like he could be a decent fit but given the Calvert Hall connection my bet would be on UNC for him. Especially given how much they lose at the midfield. I'm not seeing a whole lot of other obvious transfer candidates who are middies with multiple years of eligibility. IF there's a good fit I'd expect Milliman to capitalize, but he's also not going to force it. We have 8 offensive contributors returning in DeSo, Epstein, Degnon, Grimes, McDermott, Peshko, Angelus, Keogh, and between getting Chauvette back from injury, maybe a guy like Raposo or Bauer emerging, and the incoming freshmen, there may not be a pressing need for another guy. I like the Bartolo kid from Penn but he'd only be a 1-year rental.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

On the defensive side,

there is a real solid short stick D,
good size, good speed, a cover middie,
originally a Cornell commit,
probably two years remaining.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 am On the defensive side,