2021 Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

2021 Tournament

Post by DeepPocket »

https://www.connectmeetings.com/sports/ ... ary-rounds

Still looking for locations?

I get that they want to minimize the number of people/teams at each location, but c’mon, this is kind of late in the game.

It would seem that, up until fairly recently, the NCAA had considerable doubt that the season would even have a Championship...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
2laxers

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by 2laxers »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am https://www.connectmeetings.com/sports/ ... ary-rounds

Still looking for locations?

I get that they want to minimize the number of people/teams at each location, but c’mon, this is kind of late in the game.

It would seem that, up until fairly recently, the NCAA had considerable doubt that the season would even have a Championship...
The sites are supposed to be announced this week. Pre-determined sites allow them to be ready sooner. They don’t have to wait to see who makes the tourney and then try to prep that site for COVID testing.
overandback

Post by overandback »

My guess is that the list of bidders is very short, and likely includes zero schools from North.
  • Salisbury
    Maybe an ODAC (Lynchbug?) or another C2C?

Administartaions cant manage allowing 100 home team parents to a game, how could they entertain bidding on bringing NCAA circus to campus?

Are there significant $$'s in this equation that I'm overlooking?
Last edited by overandback on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Cabrini, Stevenson, York, Centre, Baldwin Wallace, LYN ???
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC has declared no fans for remainder of *regular* season, and I cannot see them bidding to host if fans are allowed while currently not allowing fans (so I would say no York or Stevenson).
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Will there be at large bids for the tournament this year?

What NESCAC are in?
What ODAC are in?

Any predictions?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... mpionships

This appears to be up to date.

31 teams (down from 36).

I would imagine all 27 AQs will be on the table, leaving 4 for “at large” bids.

Could be some new names in the mix, as some traditionally strong “at large” contenders may not warrant the look based on their schedules.

It also mentions that the “at large” bids are not beholden to the regional constraints (not sure if they mean North/South like we’re used to, or that new regional setup they were toying with).
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... mpionships

This appears to be up to date.

31 teams (down from 36).

I would imagine all 27 AQs will be on the table, leaving 4 for “at large” bids.

Could be some new names in the mix, as some traditionally strong “at large” contenders may not warrant the look based on their schedules.

It also mentions that the “at large” bids are not beholden to the regional constraints (not sure if they mean North/South like we’re used to, or that new regional setup they were toying with).
Interesting in that the way I read this is that pool B trumps Pool C, Cabrini and Colorado College are legit Pool B, but after that it gets murky. If you use the NCAA criteron for Pool B, all 4 spots would go to pool B, and C would be left out? Meaning that runners up in the NCAC, C2C and ODAC Could be left out..will the NESAC even play enough games for an AQ?..lots of questions, as are they going to bracket according to the regional format they adopted in 19 with only 31 teams, which would make sense from a COVID management perspective. I have a feeling this is going to be real interesting and a challange
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Downhill Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm Interesting in that the way I read this is that pool B trumps Pool C, Cabrini and Colorado College are legit Pool B, but after that it gets murky. If you use the NCAA criteron for Pool B, all 4 spots would go to pool B, and C would be left out? Meaning that runners up in the NCAC, C2C and ODAC Could be left out..will the NESAC even play enough games for an AQ?..lots of questions, as are they going to bracket according to the regional format they adopted in 19 with only 31 teams, which would make sense from a COVID management perspective. I have a feeling this is going to be real interesting and a challange
Some of your questions are answered here. (COVID specific) Flip to page 27 questions 2, 3 &4.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compli ... AGuide.pdf

2. What are the requirements for a conference to maintain its automatic berth to the spring sport championships?

In order for a conference to maintain its automatic qualifier for the 2020-21 championships it must affirm its intent to conduct spring sports with at least four core members and demonstrate a schedule that allows the automatic qualifier to meet the minimum contest requirement. If the minimums are not met due to COVID-19 related issues no waiver will be necessary if either the conference falls below four core members or the designated AQ does not meet the minimum contest requirements.

3. Does an institution have to meet the minimum contest requirements to be considered for an at-large spring sport championship berth?

For an institution to be considered for an at-large berth it must meet the new minimum contest requirements. If an institution is unable to meet the new requirement for circumstances beyond its control, they would need to apply for a waiver in order to be considered for at-large selection.

4. What are the minimum contest requirements for spring championships consideration?

Contests minimums to be eligible for consideration to spring championships have been reduced by 50 percent and are as follows:
• Lacrosse: 5
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

In an already odd year, I guess we’re actually doing the new region alignment... because, why not.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings
Downhill Dodger

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 pm In an already odd year, I guess we’re actually doing the new region alignment... because, why not.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings
Any idea how the brackets will work with 5 regions in a 32 team bracket, assuming 1 bye for 31 teams selected?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I would think it will be 31 selected with 30 /31 doing a play in. Then start full round with 30 teams.

The NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship provides for a 31-team single-elimination tournament.

No idea on the break down regionally. Perhaps someone with better knowledge on the number of AQs in each region can provide insight. It’s already noted Pools B and C are not fixed regionally.
Downhill Dodger

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:20 am I would think it will be 31 selected with 30 /31 doing a play in. Then start full round with 30 teams.

The NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship provides for a 31-team single-elimination tournament.

No idea on the break down regionally. Perhaps someone with better knowledge on the number of AQs in each region can provide insight. It’s already noted Pools B and C are not fixed regionally.
Region AQ breakdown

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... gnment.pdf
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

27 AQ, plus Cabrini fills 28 of 31.

Leaving 3 spots for well ranked conference tourney losers, and perhaps independent Colorado College.

Not a lot of “meat left on the bone” for good teams in strong conferences, especially if there are any unforeseen upsets for AQs.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

The COVID insanity and hysteria will screw this senior class one final time when sadly a number of very good, deserving teams get left out of the tournament.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Shrinking the field by five teams and keeping all AQs will make the field even more of a joke than it already is. I don't know why the NCAA is okay with a D-III tournament that is full of noncompetitive teams, but here we are.
overandback

Post by overandback »

We are 10 days past the ncaa’s scheduled announcement date for prelim round host sites.
Anyone have rumors or actual info?
My guess is that they got very few bids and have reconsidered. Perhaps they are considering 4 or even 2 sites instead of the 8 that they planned.
This approach increases travel budget and requires hosts to have more hotels, testing capacity, crowd Mangement, seating, parking etc.

Mustang Classic makes Stevenson my top host selection in south.
Seems to me Salisbury could manage as well.

In north, Cortland State and ???.
Downhill Dodger

overandback wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:22 am We are 10 days past the ncaa’s scheduled announcement date for prelim round host sites.
My guess is that they got very few bids and have reconsidered. Perhaps they are considering 4 or even 2 sites instead of the 8 that they planned.
This approach increases travel budget and requires hosts to have more hotels, testing capacity, crowd Mangement, seating, parking etc.

It’s two sites for the first and second rounds, meaning all 15 or 16 teams will be playing at a site. My guess is one site will be on the east coast and one site might be in Ohio/ Indiana .

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... sion%20III
Downhill Dodger

Downhill Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 am
overandback wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:22 am We are 10 days past the ncaa’s scheduled announcement date for prelim round host sites.

Here is the bracket structure from the NCAA site

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... racket.pdf

It’s two sites for the first and second rounds, meaning all 15 or 16 teams will be playing at a site. My guess is one site will be on the east coast and one site might be in Ohio/ Indiana .

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... sion%20III
overandback

Post by overandback »

Covid makes hosting 15/16 teams a giant challenge.
Have to doubt Ohio/Indiana is a consideration given ncaa’s historical aversion to travel.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”