Storylines

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Lacrossehead17

Storylines

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

I made this because the regular season for most schools is almost over and this season has to be the most interesting one yet.

Will Colorado mesa make the NCAA tourney?

Can we see a possible upset in the SAC conference tournament?

Will Seton Hill bounce back against Mercyhurst in the conference tourney?

Can Lynn get their revenge against Tampa after a close affair?

Does the winner of the GLVC championship make the NCAA tourney?

Will we see a team that gets in NCAA Tourney but cannot participate due to COVID-19?

these are just a few please add more if you like :)
or if you have any corrections please tell me!
RedFromMI

Re: Storylines

Post by RedFromMI »

Lacrossehead17 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 am I made this because the regular season for most schools is almost over and this season has to be the most interesting one yet.

Will Colorado mesa make the NCAA tourney?

Can we see a possible upset in the SAC conference tournament?

Will Seton Hill bounce back against Mercyhurst in the conference tourney?

Can Lynn get their revenge against Tampa after a close affair?

Does the winner of the GLVC championship make the NCAA tourney?

Will we see a team that gets in NCAA Tourney but cannot participate due to COVID-19?

these are just a few please add more if you like :)
or if you have any corrections please tell me!
Mesa - I doubt they have a chance.
We could very well see an upset in the SAC tourney.
Don't know about SH/Hurst. I would have thought it not likely, but did not expect Mercy to upset Hurst.
Not sure that after that close game Tampa will lost in conference.
GLVC winner getting in depends on how badly they beat each other up...
I would hope no one that gets in drops out, but would not be surprised.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

I agree with Mesa probably not making the tourney due to a weak conference and not strong out-of-conference play. The Tampa game intrigues me because they have been in some tight games. I hope no team doesn't gets covid-19 during or before the NCAA tourney. I know I could've added more like

Will NGU make noise in the CC tourney?

Is Wingate's attack the best in d2 lacrosse?
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Limestone with a couple of good wins...SAC could be interesting!
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Their start was way later. But, when is the last time a non NE10 team besides Limestone won it all.

LeMoyne, Adelphi, and St A’s are every much the story
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 pm Their start was way later. But, when is the last time a non NE10 team besides Limestone won it all.

LeMoyne, Adelphi, and St A’s are every much the story
That would be Dowling in 2012.

But you're not going to see 3 NE10 teams make the playoffs. Adelphi will have to upset Le Moyne in the NE10 playoffs to have a shot at making the NCAAs. They will not get in with 3 losses.

St. Anslems should finish their cakewalk through New England undefeated. Will be interesting to see how they compare to Le Moyne, Pace, and Adelphi.

I still consider Le Moyne the top team in the country. They have too much depth but seem to be struggling in the net.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Given that NE10 schools are in their own pandemic pod (as are the southern conferences of GLVC and SSC), I would expect 1-2 out of the NE10 to make it into the five. Three could be a possibility, but you still have unbeaten Mercy in the ECC and once beaten Hurst and Seton Hill from the GMAC that at this point will also get consideration.

From my KRACH ratings through last night, this is the order for the North (even though my rankings are not considered in the process, they do a great job of laying out the likely candidates):

1. Mercy 6-0
2. Le Moyne 8-0
3. Mercyhurst 9-1
4. Seton Hill 6-1
8. Saint Anselm 8-0
10. Frostburg State 5-1 (will not be considered for NCAAs this year)
11. Adelphi 5-2
13. Georgian Court 6-1

Of course it is early, with northern teams not finished with conference play like much of the south and no conference tourneys yet, which can really scramble things.

In the South:

5. Lenoir-Rhyne 11-1
6. Tampa 6-0
7. Wingate 10-1
9. Mount Olive 10-1
12. Lindenwood 8-1
14. Limestone 9-3
15. Indianapolis 7-2
16. Queens (NC) 7-4
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:44 pm Given that NE10 schools are in their own pandemic pod (as are the southern conferences of GLVC and SSC), I would expect 1-2 out of the NE10 to make it into the five. Three could be a possibility, but you still have unbeaten Mercy in the ECC and once beaten Hurst and Seton Hill from the GMAC that at this point will also get consideration.

From my KRACH ratings through last night, this is the order for the North (even though my rankings are not considered in the process, they do a great job of laying out the likely candidates):

1. Mercy 6-0
2. Le Moyne 8-0
3. Mercyhurst 9-1
4. Seton Hill 6-1
8. Saint Anselm 8-0
10. Frostburg State 5-1 (will not be considered for NCAAs this year)
11. Adelphi 5-2
13. Georgian Court 6-1

Of course it is early, with northern teams not finished with conference play like much of the south and no conference tourneys yet, which can really scramble things.

In the South:

5. Lenoir-Rhyne 11-1
6. Tampa 6-0
7. Wingate 10-1
9. Mount Olive 10-1
12. Lindenwood 8-1
14. Limestone 9-3
15. Indianapolis 7-2
16. Queens (NC) 7-4
Does SSC have a conference tourney? just curious.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

No SSC conference tournament per the SSC website.

Red,
How bad did the newberry loss hurt limestone? would they be in the top 5 if they won that game?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Laxwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 am No SSC conference tournament per the SSC website.

Red,
How bad did the newberry loss hurt limestone? would they be in the top 5 if they won that game?
Definitely would be in the top five within the South region, at least according to my ratings.

It will be interesting to see how the first published regional rankings have the teams in both N and S regions - especially with three conferences limiting play to in conference games only.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 am
Laxwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 am No SSC conference tournament per the SSC website.

Red,
Definitely would be in the top five within the South region, at least according to my ratings.

It will be interesting to see how the first published regional rankings have the teams in both N and S regions - especially with three conferences limiting play to in conference games only.
If Lindenwood doesn’t win the conference for the GlVC Limestone 100% should be in that last spot. Also, Limestone has played harder competition
LunchBox

Post by LunchBox »

All the non conference play limits the comparison. I would think that we have not seen most teams at 100 % due to illness, injury etc.
The SAC and South Regional play downs is a benefit to LR and Wingate, who I expect to see in the South Regionals. A sixteen hour bus ride from Tampa area not great for those young legs, presuming flying is not available to these teams.
I add that if looking at strength of team, Lynn looks to be ahead of Limestone and I could see them being a South 5 consideration after losing to Tampa by 1 goal. I think they meet Tampa one more time in the SSC.
By the way, the LR starting attack is equal to that of Wingate, though each team plays a different style of offense. These two teams are a mirror image and should be a great battle if they can meet up this spring. Might be the goaler that decides the SAC!
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

LunchBox wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 pm I add that if looking at strength of team, Lynn looks to be ahead of Limestone and I could see them being a South 5 consideration after losing to Tampa by 1 goal. I think they meet Tampa one more time in the SSC.
The problem is Lynn has not beaten anyone of note. The same can be said for Adelphi. The committee has never valued "good losses", why would they start now?

Limestone needs to have a good showing in the SAC playoff. Honestly, the best thing for them would be for them to at least knock off Wingate or LR and make it to the Conference Championship game. It also would be a major boost to them if Belmont Abbey could get it together and win the Conference Carolinas Playoff. Would give their win a lot more credence especially with Mt. Olive's season loss to NGU.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”