Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Now for some good news:

Wlax beat #13 Penn State today, 13-11.

That makes them 5-5, third overall in the B1G, and projected to get an at large bid in the NC$$.

They have two games left, at Michigan next week/weekend, to make up for the prior COVID cancellations.

Plus, despite some a-holes here who like to keep bringing up D3, there are some other great Hopkins sports to follow right now, like baseball, track, and tennis.

GO JAYS!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Chitown wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 pm Actually, this team is much improved over last year. Not in W-L record, but in caliber of play. Defense is more solid than last year, face-offs are good, the attack is moving the ball better, etc

The biggest problem in the Rutgers game was "unforced errors". The loopy pass from the midfield to the attack, where the Rutgers goalie has "time" to run 5 steps out of the goal to intercept the pass. Shots "at" the Goalie. Other bad passes, etc. The ball is really "valuable". All that can be fixed. Players just need to be more careful and value the ball. Can't really "coach" that. The players just need to be careful.

My snarky younger son emailed my wife and I, stating that he saw that Maryland (my wife's alma mater) was ranked # 1, and Cleveland State, LIU, and Quinipac, etc were ranked ahead of JHU. He wondered if I needed an "emotional support animal" :lol: :lol: . No I don't. Everyone knew it would be challenging year. I think the players are doing fine under the circumstances. No need to apologize for anything, especially to the strange people who get some kind of perverse pleasure for spewing vitriol about our school.

JHU is playing Lacrosse, the Creator's Game, with the support of the Administration, the Alumni, and former Players. God is in Heaven and all is right with the World. Go Blue! ;)
I very much agree with this. The Blue Jays are playing better now than they ever did last season. Especially on defense, it’s like night and day ... at least I can make sense of what they’re trying to do on D this season.

This Hopkins team has some terrific young talent. Right now, the coaches are trying to squeeze some skilled and talented square pegs into some round holes ... part of the reason the team occasionally looks out of sync. But one can see the team is putting the effort in to make that work.

There’s no doubt the coaches and players are putting all that work in to win now. They are steadily improving, but the B1G may just be better this season than it has ever been. Has to be frustrating.

Still, I think the future is bright for the program. If the administration didn’t care at all about lacrosse, they wouldn’t have changed a thing and Coach Pietramala and his crew would still be leading the team. Petro had a great run, which will long be remembered. But it was time for a change (for everyone involved).

This is a tough season, but I think the pieces are starting to come together to return the program to championship form. It’s going to take a lot of patience and hard work, but they have the leadership in place to get them there.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:10 pm hopfan16 you are wrong and your sources are wrong. Nads was never offered the job FACT. Delusional to think Hopkins would beat any of the top 3 teams in any of the mentioned conferences here... Big East, Patriot, AE, CAA. Those top 2-3 teams in each division would beat PSU, Hop, Michigan by 5 goals each. Coaching matters. Look at the way they played teams in their second round.... adjustments or no?
Would love to know why you're so certain about that, because I know without a shadow of a doubt he was in negotiations with the school over a contract. There 100% was an exchange between the two parties that could have resulted in him becoming the coach. It didn't materialize. Happy to discuss further in PM.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 pm This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
Stopped reading your post right there. You know literally nothing about the incoming class apart from their IL rankings. Need I remind you we've had stacked IL recruiting classes full of five-stars and they have resulted in the team you now won't stop complaining about. So maybe it won't be such a terrible thing they recruit some late bloomers/guys off the beaten path? One of the most promising freshmen on the current team—Peshko—was not ranked in the IL top 100 (though he should have been). Rutgers just beat us twice with a bunch of guys who were not anywhere on IL's radar.

I won't even get into the '22s—I'd wager a lot of money you have never seen a single one of them play a game of lacrosse. Ask 10stone5 about Collison.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

BTW, transferring, even within conferences, is about to get a lot easier:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... egislation
old salt

Post by old salt »

Despite a winning record & beating Loyola, Navy won't get into a downsized divisional PL Tourney.
If the Jay's don't make the Big 10 Tourney, they should come down to Annapolis on May 8 & renew the Navy rivalry.
Given the shortened season, maybe the Big 10 would allow it.
Plenty of room to social distance in NMCMS. The Mids have all had their shots.
Give the departing seniors on both teams a make up game before a big throwback crowd.
Just for the fun of it & for development of next year's returnees.
Last edited by old salt on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Everyone makes big10 tourney but a good idea in general agree.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Navy-Hop game was on the schedule before the Big 10 decision to go conference-only. It should be back next year.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 pm Despite a winning record & beating Loyola, Navy won't get into a downsized divisional PL Tourney.
If the Jay's don't make the Big 10 Tourney, they should come down to Annapolis on May 8 & renew the Navy rivalry.
Given the shortened season, maybe the Big 10 would allow it.
Plenty of room to social distance in NMCMS. The Mids have all had their shots.
Give the departing seniors on both teams a make up game before a big throwback crowd.
Just for the fun of it & for development of next year's returnees.
Agreed. This could be done the week after the B1G tourney.
old salt

Post by old salt »

:oops:...oh, I forgot that. The PL downsized their tourney from 6 to 4 to reduce the travel risk.

:cry:...I sure miss those good weather, large crowd, late season Sat games between Navy-JHU-MD, when the games mattered for all 3 teams.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 pm
Stopped reading your post right there. You know literally nothing about the incoming class apart from their IL rankings. Need I remind you we've had stacked IL recruiting classes full of five-stars and they have resulted in the team you now won't stop complaining about. So maybe it won't be such a terrible thing they recruit some late bloomers/guys off the beaten path? One of the most promising freshmen on the current team—Peshko—was not ranked in the IL top 100 (though he should have been). Rutgers just beat us twice with a bunch of guys who were not anywhere on IL's radar.

I won't even get into the '22s—I'd wager a lot of money you have never seen a single one of them play a game of lacrosse. Ask 10stone5 about Collison.
Rutgers has guys that have been playing for 7-8 years.
If this staff can't win with top ranked players, what chance to they have with unranked players?
Saturday's game is going to be a blood bath. UMD just blew OSU off the field.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 pm If this staff can't win with top ranked players, what chance to they have with unranked players?
As ludicrous a statement as can be - THIS STAFF????? It's possible this staff never saw one of these players in person until January!!! Not to mention these players were not picked by this staff and the prior staff was 2-4 and almost/should have lost to MSM. This staff inherited a MESS - got zero time to deal with it and while I don't know at all whether they will pull the program out of its current abyss it's way too soon to start bringing up 1971 or calling for heads. Wake me up in 23 or 24. It would be a great idea to schedule a post season game against Navy - makes too much sense - so it would never happen.
blankedunwillingly

Post by blankedunwillingly »

Circled back to this board after a multi-year hiatus (with a 180* handle, wink wink).
Happy to see some familiar faces, disappointed to see the program's continued struggles. Guess it was time for a change, but woulda liked it to have been any one of the numerous, qualified alum. Think that was a miss.
Going forward, I think it is going to be a huge challenge to restore the program's luster & relevancy. Hope I'm wrong.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:56 am Hopkins lacrosse has been pedestrian for a while...........and keep on loving the Trump loving Bill Bellicheat. Did trump still send him his medal... only green Big Cares about is getting to ACK island to party with Trump lovers.......
RRR, Let's keep Politics in the Politics Forum.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:56 am Hopkins lacrosse has been pedestrian for a while...........and keep on loving the Trump loving Bill Bellicheat. Did trump still send him his medal... only green Big Cares about is getting to ACK island to party with Trump lovers.......
RRR, Let's keep Politics in the Politics Forum.
Excuse me, what......"poliics"

yeah, sherlock, do a search, type in TRUMP .....for just the Johns Hopkins thread.

You know what you find?

"your search has TOO MANY hits....you need to add more information "

YOu know what that means?

The word "TRUMP" appears so many times, you need to provide further filters.

yet.......the "warning".....only goes to me. .....just wow..
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 pm
courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:10 pm hopfan16 you are wrong and your sources are wrong. Nads was never offered the job FACT. Delusional to think Hopkins would beat any of the top 3 teams in any of the mentioned conferences here... Big East, Patriot, AE, CAA. Those top 2-3 teams in each division would beat PSU, Hop, Michigan by 5 goals each. Coaching matters. Look at the way they played teams in their second round.... adjustments or no?
Would love to know why you're so certain about that, because I know without a shadow of a doubt he was in negotiations with the school over a contract. There 100% was an exchange between the two parties that could have resulted in him becoming the coach. It didn't materialize. Happy to discuss further in PM.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 pm This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.

Unfortunately, we have to wait 2 classes.

If you like Peshko, you’ll like Collison.
From the Edge lacrosse factory.

A couple of comparables would be from Cornell’s class
who again unfortunately we didn’t get to see this year,
Rory Graham would be the closest, he’s got an unreal
shot, but I’d rate Collison higher because of size and
manueverability.

One other guy who is playing now from Edge and has done
ok, shown definite skills, Carter Begley, originally a
four star, but rated lower than Peshko.

Maybe what you’re getting is a Mark Matthews, but if he’s
Josh Bryne, that would be all right.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 pm ...yeah, sherlock, do a search...
Tweet. Unsportsman-like conduct. RRR's Last Penalty was an 8 minute (16 day) penalty. That makes this penalty a 16 minute (32 day) penalty. It'll release on May 20th at 9:43 PM EST.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:45 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 pm ...yeah, sherlock, do a search...
Tweet. Unsportsman-like conduct. RRR's Last Penalty was an 8 minute (16 day) penalty. That makes this penalty a 16 minute (32 day) penalty. It'll release on May 20th at 9:43 PM EST.
Does this penalty extend to "ABV 8.3%"?
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 pm A couple of comparables would be from Cornell’s class
who again unfortunately we didn’t get to see this year,
Rory Graham would be the closest, he’s got an unreal
shot, but I’d rate Collison higher because of size and
manueverability.

One other guy who is playing now from Edge and has done
ok, shown definite skills, Carter Begley, originally a
four star, but rated lower than Peshko.

Maybe what you’re getting is a Mark Matthews, but if he’s
Josh Bryne, that would be all right.
So the range of outcomes is between Josh Byrne and Mark Matthews? Sounds good to me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 pm If this staff can't win with top ranked players, what chance to they have with unranked players?
As ludicrous a statement as can be - THIS STAFF????? It's possible this staff never saw one of these players in person until January!!! Not to mention these players were not picked by this staff and the prior staff was 2-4 and almost/should have lost to MSM. This staff inherited a MESS - got zero time to deal with it and while I don't know at all whether they will pull the program out of its current abyss it's way too soon to start bringing up 1971 or calling for heads. Wake me up in 23 or 24. It would be a great idea to schedule a post season game against Navy - makes too much sense - so it would never happen.
All seriousness and know this has been discussed a little here and there but there’s a bit of a risk or unknown in the Millikan hire. He has the first good season inheriting a great team but didn’t transcend their talent and then a bit of a letdown since and not established strong defenses. He could be perfect but arguably it’s a higher upside/downside hire than many others. Probably need two more years to get a feeling but he’s never had his “own” players really in his head coaching career so it’ll be interesting to see what a more “blue collar” D3 guy can do here. If he succeeds it’ll be so brilliant. If it doesn’t work out you really probably lose close to a decade of being truly competitive past QF at best.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm
All seriousness and know this has been discussed a little here and there but there’s a bit of a risk or unknown in the Millikan hire. He has the first good season inheriting a great team but didn’t transcend their talent and then a bit of a letdown since and not established strong defenses. He could be perfect but arguably it’s a higher upside/downside hire than many others. Probably need two more years to get a feeling but he’s never had his “own” players really in his head coaching career so it’ll be interesting to see what a more “blue collar” D3 guy can do here. If he succeeds it’ll be so brilliant. If it doesn’t work out you really probably lose close to a decade of being truly competitive past QF at best.
In 2 weeks the narrative moves from "he inherited a broken roster in a pandemic, didn't get a chance to prep a season with it and got shredded by veteran opponents w/more prep"
to
"He has an extended offseason w/a knowledge of the current roster, an ability to offer transfers and recruits the chance to play immediately, refreshed scholarships to dangle from graduations/transfers/decommits, the job security of a long term contract etc "
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm
In 2 weeks the narrative moves from "he inherited a broken roster in a pandemic, didn't get a chance to prep a season with it and got shredded by veteran opponents w/more prep"
to
"He has an extended offseason w/a knowledge of the current roster, an ability to offer transfers and recruits the chance to play immediately, refreshed scholarships to dangle from graduations/transfers/decommits, the job security of a long term contract etc "
well, yeah.
death, taxes and acc lax.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”