University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Turtles Lax

Another One in the...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...L column and TL is perplexed.

The lengthy scoring droughts continue. That is quite unusual for Terrapin teams. Very unusual. This time the big one was for twenty-three (23!!!) minutes.

Goodness, TL’s bestie, the fabulous Sarah Mollison, scored two in six (6!) seconds all by herself once upon a time. (Still the all-time NCAA record...you can look it up.)

But there is hope...always. Ball movement was okay, but lotsa cutters were missed. Laxchix shooters are taught not to play catch with the opposing keeper, but they missed the net entirely too many times.

Draws were uneven; give credit to the NU player.

The last second score at the end of the first half was not to blame, but Laxchix were flat in second half.

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: Play resumes on April 8 with fans allowed for the first time this season. Attendance will be VERY limited, but TL will definitely be there.

tl
Cletus

Re: Another One in the...

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:47 pm ...L column and TL is perplexed.

The lengthy scoring droughts continue. That is quite unusual for Terrapin teams. Very unusual. This time the big one was for twenty-three (23!!!) minutes.

Goodness, TL’s bestie, the fabulous Sarah Mollison, scored two in six (6!) seconds all by herself once upon a time. (Still the all-time NCAA record...you can look it up.)

But there is hope...always. Ball movement was okay, but lotsa cutters were missed. Laxchix shooters are taught not to play catch with the opposing keeper, but they missed the net entirely too many times.

The last second score at the end of the first half was not to blame, but Laxchix were flat in second half.

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: Play resumes on April 8 with fans allowed for the first time this season. Attendance will be VERY limited, but TL will definitely be there.

tl
Maybe they're just a young team going through growing pains. Maybe all the misses and mistakes and scoring droughts are normal for a young team. And let's face it, Colson can't do it all by herself on the defense. Scane went by her without much effort for her first goal in the 2nd game and I'm sure there were other times during the 2 games. I remember reading somewhere that the big matchup was going to be Colson on Scane. Scane dropped 14 goals in 2 games on Colson and the Terps D. Not much of a matchup. Every team has a rebuilding year here and there. They have some great young players with Leubecker at the head of the class. They'll be imposing their will again on the grand stage soon enough. But for this season, they're going to have some rough times while the kids mature.
Itsallgood

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by Itsallgood »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:43 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse .
Is this tongue in cheek? There is absolutely such a thing as a moving pick in women's lacrosse...
Ok so I just had breakfast with an NCAA women’s lacrosse referee and she confirmed ,the only illegal pick in Women’s lacrosse is a blind pick.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 am
Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse .
Is this tongue in cheek? There is absolutely such a thing as a moving pick in women's lacrosse...
Ok so I just had breakfast with an NCAA women’s lacrosse referee and she confirmed ,the only illegal pick in Women’s lacrosse is a blind pick.
I’m curious, what is a blind pick? And what is the distinction between a moving pick and a blind pick?
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:54 am
I’m curious, what is a blind pick? And what is the distinction between a moving pick and a blind pick?
A blind pick is one the defender never sees and customarily creates a yard sale on the defender as they have no idea what they just ran into it is obviously set off ball with the attacker running the defender blindly into another offensive player
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:53 pm 2020-2021 Rule Book, Rule 6 - Fouls and Penalty Administration
SECTION 1. The following are fouls:
a. Blocking/Illegal Pick:
1. Moving into the path of an opponent without giving the opponent a chance to stop or change direction, and causing contact.
2. Setting a moving pick that causes contact and delays an opponent from reaching a desired position. For legal picking tactics see the definition for “pick” in Rule 7.
3. When an opponent is running to receive the ball and the “blind-side” defensive player does not give the opponent a chance to stop or change direction.

From Rule 7 - Definition of Terms
Pick
This is a technique in which a player without the ball, by her positioning, forces the opponent to take another route. To be legal, the picker shall stay within their vertical plane with a stance no wider than shoulder width apart, and shall not lean into the path of an opponent or extend hips into that path, even though feet are stationary. The picker is not required to face any particular direction at any time. The picker must give their opponent a chance to stop or change direction.

So yes, there is such a thing as a moving pick, but it's basically stepping right into the defender and it's true that most people don't understand that.
Sorry I didn’t see your response, it seems they do spell it out fairly plainly, following the rules you provided what NU was running on the elbow sure falls under rule 2 and should have been called but let’s be honest having a rule and getting the officials to call it is an argument for another day ( horizontal cross checks for example lol ) thanks for the heads up !
njbill

Post by njbill »

With all due respect to your ref friend, this isn’t accurate.

A blind pick is almost always illegal. (I give an example below of what I think is an exception to this). However, a “non-blind” pick can also be illegal. For example, if the pick-or steps directly into the path of the pick-ee who is running at full speed, that pick is illegal as well even though the pick-ee could see the pick before contact because the pick-or did not give the pick-ee a reasonable chance to avoid the pick.

The touchstone of a legal pick is that the pick-ee must have a reasonable opportunity to avoid contacting the player setting the pick. This requires two elements. First, the pick-ee has to reasonably be able to see the pick coming. Second, she must have a reasonable opportunity to avoid the pick.

A question I have always had is whether the pick-ee must actually see the pick coming or whether it is enough that a reasonable player in that position would have seen the pick. Normally players are looking in the direction in which they are running, but not always. Sometimes a defender could be running sideways but looking straight ahead (in terms of her body axis) at the player she is covering. Notwithstanding that such a defender could have seen the pick coming had she been looking in the direction she was running (sideways), I think that pick is still illegal because, in looking at the attacker she is covering, the player is acting reasonably within the normal play of the game.

If, on the other hand, a defender who is running straight ahead turns her head and looks behind her, I don’t think a pick that she runs into becomes illegal simply because she didn’t actually see it coming. She had a reasonable opportunity to see the pick but chose to look elsewhere.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. I’m not a ref. I just criticize them from the stands and on forums.

The above does not include such actions as throwing hips or shoulders which are also illegal.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I watched the Maryland Northwestern game in which the Maryland faithful are saying Northwestern set illegal moving picks. I didn’t notice anything I thought was untoward, but wasn’t looking for this particular type of infraction. Not saying it didn’t happen.

My question is whether the Maryland players or coaches complained about it during the course of the game. One would think they would have if they thought Northwestern was doing something illegal.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:11 pm I watched the Maryland Northwestern game in which the Maryland faithful are saying Northwestern set illegal moving picks. I didn’t notice anything I thought was untoward, but wasn’t looking for this particular type of infraction. Not saying it didn’t happen.

My question is whether the Maryland players or coaches complained about it during the course of the game. One would think they would have if they thought Northwestern was doing something illegal.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Cletus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:09 pm
Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:47 pm ...L column and TL is perplexed.

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

tl
Maybe they're just a young team going through growing pains. Maybe all the misses and mistakes and scoring droughts are normal for a young team. And let's face it, Colson can't do it all by herself on the defense. Scane went by her without much effort for her first goal in the 2nd game and I'm sure there were other times during the 2 games. I remember reading somewhere that the big matchup was going to be Colson on Scane. Scane dropped 14 goals in 2 games on Colson and the Terps D. Not much of a matchup. Every team has a rebuilding year here and there. They have some great young players with Leubecker at the head of the class. They'll be imposing their will again on the grand stage soon enough. But for this season, they're going to have some rough times while the kids mature.
With all due respect I would not classify the Terps as a young team. From my count in Monday's game the Terps started six seniors. To me that would classify them as more of a veteran team. Warther, Brindi Griffin, Grace Graffin, Catie May, Colson, Barretta all were starters on Monday are seniors. Bracey also a senior played a lot. Granted Leubecker is a special young talent. She is fun to watch. Some of their other young players that start I would say are not living up to their lofty IL rankings.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

suffolk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 pm With all due respect I would not classify the Terps as a young team. From my count in Monday's game the Terps started six seniors. To me that would classify them as more of a veteran team. Warther, Brindi Griffin, Grace Graffin, Catie May, Colson, Barretta all were starters on Monday are seniors. Bracey also a senior played a lot. Granted Leubecker is a special young talent. She is fun to watch. Some of their other young players that start I would say are not living up to their lofty IL rankings.
I could say it another way--they're playing like a young team. They lost a lot of offensive leadership in Jen Giles. I haven't seen anyone step into her shoes yet--last year or this. Through 8 games the Terps have 8 players who have scored goals. On the whole team--8. Leubecker is far and away the most dynamic offensive threat they have at this point, and she's an early sophomore, if you will, due to covid. She's only played 14 games and she far and away leads the team goal output. Maybe she will assume the leadership on offense. But where are the seniors? They've been marginal so far. And obviously the defense isn't what they were in the past either as evidenced by the dual thrashings they received in Evanston. As well as Colson is playing, she's still coming off an ACL.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

In the words of Elston Gunnn (with a slight amendation)

"Ain't gonna rag on Hannah's team no more."

After listening to this podcast yesterday, and hearing future Maryland great Hannah Leubecker talk with Sheehan Stanwick Burch about her life and experiences and how she came to be a Terrapin--I can't rank on the Terps anymore because I've become a huge fan of Ms. Leubecker.

https://twitter.com/USLacrosseMag/statu ... 12929?s=20

Now, I'm not saying I won't be glad for teams I'm rooting for if they beat the Terps, but I can't enjoy sports schadenfreude with Maryland anymore.

That is all, literally.

BUT--if Leubecker transfers or when she is no longer on the team, then all bets are off.

laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:22 pm I could say it another way--they're playing like a young team. They lost a lot of offensive leadership in Jen Giles. I haven't seen anyone step into her shoes yet--last year or this.
MD has had a long string of middies who were not only dominant players but great leaders as well. Giles came after Stukenberg, Cummings, Schwarzmann, and McFadden. Not to discount the talent and leadership MD had on the field alongside these women, but I think this is a huge piece of what allowed them to reload year after year. Colson is on a mission, but when she doesn't have the ball, the team often looks a bit lost.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

...And I don't think that Giles gets enough credit for what she brought to that program. Maybe the best Terp midfielder who never won a Tewaaraton.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Coach Cathy Reese confirmed that senior captain Grace Griffin and senior Tori Barretta will be returning to play for Maryland women’s lacrosse next season. Both players taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cool...soon we'll have married gals with children playin'.
In the name of equality, same with the mlaxers.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:06 am Cool...soon we'll have married gals with children playin'.
In the name of equality, same with the mlaxers.
“But in talking to dozens of college coaches for this story, you discover that this is a more common situation than you might think. All coaches who were asked estimated that more than half the teams in Division I men's basketball currently have at least one player who is father, or a father-to-be, on their roster. Most guessed higher than 75 percent.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... thers/amp/
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, it's all good. Bit of a different story when it's a woman though.
I was married and had one son when I was playing...had done some
time in the service before that though (like eight years).
Turtles Lax

Terps v. Scarlet Knights

Post by Turtles Lax »

Another W but another terrible shooting performance compounded by several large scoring droughts.

e.g. Rutgers goalies had ZERO saves in first half yet Terps scored just eight (8!) goals. :shock:

There is such a thing as shooting for corners and such, but it’s kinda hard to do. Surely not advocating ‘playing catch’ with keepers but most of the shots that don’t go near the net don’t count as goals. :lol:

To Rutgers’ credit, they played hard and took advantage of Turtles’ errors. Game was in doubt ‘til the last few minutes.

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

GAME DAY EXPERIENCE! Terps v. Scarlet Knights

Post by Turtles Lax »

Pluses: First game in more than a year when other than ‘rents/family members were allowed to attend Maryland home games.

Attendance was very limited; official count was 150.

Very, very quiet. Rutgers bench players were by far the loudest. They were in the game! One could clearly hear players and coaches. Kinda neat.

Concession stand was open. No programs were printed or otherwise available.

Best vantage point for a Terp home game is standing at the fence where one can literally reach out and touch players...though that is discouraged. 😉 Saw on the broadcast that a few fans ignored the request to be seated in the stands and did stand at the fence. TL will join those patriots next Wednesday. 👍

Minuses: No pre-game festivities. Anyone who has attended a Laxchix game knows the ‘game’ starts about two hours before first draw. ‘Terprisers’ are a staple as are donuts, bagels, and erster shooters. :D Tasty! None yesterday. 😞

No post-game spread for players and fans. Sole rule is NO ONE is allowed to partake in post-game spread before players. Rule is strictly enforced! TL learned that a long time ago. 🤦‍♂️

Players miss that element terribly. Fact. 😢

In fact, tailgating in any form was strictly forbidden. TL had to sneak intake of just one (1!) beer. (Where there’s a will there’s a way. 😉)

All in all ‘twas grand to be there...particularly on Senior Day! Saw some old friends and made a couple new ones.

Beer the Turtle!

TL

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”