D1 Men Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: D1 Men Rankings

Post by 10stone5 »

Denver14 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:41 pm
It does make you wonder how much the media is really paying attention. Maybe they meant to say Penn State and typed it wrong? Or they are still in Ivy league denial?
I believe Penn is planning to play.
Yes.
Penn opened up Spring sports on the 27th.
They could very well get in games against Villanova,
Drexel, St. Joe’s - and these games would have zero
risk of negative standing for them, a game against Penn
wouldn’t negatively impact any of those teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 pm
B. I don’t think I’m ready to die on the hill on this but really starting to feel like Bryant and Boston U should be in there at the bottom and it seems like they aren’t even at the top of the next cohort receiving consideration still.
Doing the FanLax Forum poll, I had to stop at 18 because I really couldn't differentiate much beyond that. I did put Bryant in there. LIU wasn't an option (wasn't in the drop down menu), but I would have put them in my Top 20.
The Loyola loss to Towson flips a lot of perspectives all of the sudden, and rightfully so even if Nadalen might be turning this season around a little (their offense hasn't been very good in a couple of years, Sunday was a beast in 2019 and they had some depth but I wonder even then if Woodall was the difference at 70%+ as 2018 was sub 9gaa and 25% team shooting. Has me wondering if Lehigh is legit at all as they hang around the top 10. Honestly after Del, whom I'd have above Lehigh, totally would write the MSM loss off as half their team didn't dress including their entire starting offense and others, it's a word scramble. I don't think that means default to BigTen teams because "we think their conference is good this year" and especially for the last couple where there's zero evidence to support some teams being around there I don't see why a BU, Bryant, etc shouldn't be considered for winning regardless of competition at that point. But when you have Lehigh, Richmond, UVM, Loyola hanging or floating inside the top 15 then I can't support further elevation. From 16-20 in this season? What's the point of keeping PSU/OSU/JHU in there/so high when they're resumes look like a sports version of a elephant walk.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm
The Loyola loss to Towson flips a lot of perspectives all of the sudden, and rightfully so even if Nadalen might be turning this season around a little (their offense hasn't been very good in a couple of years, Sunday was a beast in 2019 and they had some depth but I wonder even then if Woodall was the difference at 70%+ as 2018 was sub 9gaa and 25% team shooting. Has me wondering if Lehigh is legit at all as they hang around the top 10. Honestly after Del, whom I'd have above Lehigh, totally would write the MSM loss off as half their team didn't dress including their entire starting offense and others, it's a word scramble. I don't think that means default to BigTen teams because "we think their conference is good this year" and especially for the last couple where there's zero evidence to support some teams being around there I don't see why a BU, Bryant, etc shouldn't be considered for winning regardless of competition at that point. But when you have Lehigh, Richmond, UVM, Loyola hanging or floating inside the top 15 then I can't support further elevation. From 16-20 in this season? What's the point of keeping PSU/OSU/JHU in there/so high when they're resumes look like a sports version of a elephant walk.
I probably have Lehigh and Delaware higher than most, and you're right about Loyola's loss to Towson. Everything below 15 is just a jumble. Personally, I think LIU is a great story. Could they beat OSU/PSU/JHU? I have no idea, but it's cool to see them doing well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not sure about LIU but this year I think any of them would a struggle with Bryant or BU. There’s no value in elevating an entrenched institution when one can’t make the case either way. That’s when going with actual wins starts to make some sense.
See Martin, Malcolm
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Now Duke is #1...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Also happy to see LIU win some decent games but... LIU hasn't shown so much thus far this season.
Caddy Day
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Results so far-

division I Media Poll
Rank Team Points Prev
1 Duke (9 - 0) 422 (9) 2 Beat #2 UNC by 1 in OT
2 North Carolina (8 - 0) 417 (7) 1 Lost to #1 Duke by 1 in OT
3 Maryland (6 - 0) 415 (6) 3 Beat NR PSU by a lot
4 Syracuse (4 - 2) 357 4 Lost to #9 Notre Dame by a lot
5 Denver (7 - 2) 324 7 Beat NR Marquette by a lot.
6 Virginia (7 - 2) 323 9 Beating #17 UR (in Progress)
7 Army (4 - 1) 311 8 Lost to #10 Lehigh by 1
8 Rutgers (4 - 2) 287 5 Beating #16 OSU (in progress)
9 Notre Dame (4 - 1) 281 6 Beat #4 Syracuse by a lot.
10 Georgetown (6 - 1) 245 11 Beat NR St John’s by a lot.
10 Lehigh (4 - 0) 245 10 Beat #7 Army by 1
12 Delaware (6 - 1) 159 14 Beat NR Fairfield by 5
13 Vermont (4 - 2) 124 15 Lost to NR UMBC by 2
14 Navy (3 - 0) 114 16 Lost to #18 Loyola by a lot
15 Hofstra (4 - 1) 113 19 Beat NR Towson by 1
16 Ohio State (3 - 3) 108 17 Losing to # 8 Rutgers (in progress)
17 Richmond (4 - 3) 104 20 Losing to #6 UVA (in progress)
18 Loyola (4 - 3) 79 12 Beat #14 Navy by a lot.
19 UMass (2 - 1) 54 13 Lost to NR Drexel by 1
20 UAlbany (4 - 2) 40 21 Beat UMass Lowell by a lot.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I’m liking Denver as the weeks go on over SU.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

thatsmell wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:10 pm Results so far-

division I Media Poll
Rank Team Points Prev
1 Duke (9 - 0) 422 (9) 2 Beat #2 UNC by 1 in OT
2 North Carolina (8 - 0) 417 (7) 1 Lost to #1 Duke by 1 in OT
3 Maryland (6 - 0) 415 (6) 3 Beat NR PSU by a lot
4 Syracuse (4 - 2) 357 4 Lost to #9 Notre Dame by a lot
5 Denver (7 - 2) 324 7 Beat NR Marquette by a lot.
6 Virginia (7 - 2) 323 9 Beating #17 UR (in Progress)
7 Army (4 - 1) 311 8 Lost to #10 Lehigh by 1
8 Rutgers (4 - 2) 287 5 Beating #16 OSU (in progress)
9 Notre Dame (4 - 1) 281 6 Beat #4 Syracuse by a lot.
10 Georgetown (6 - 1) 245 11 Beat NR St John’s by a lot.
10 Lehigh (4 - 0) 245 10 Beat #7 Army by 1
12 Delaware (6 - 1) 159 14 Beat NR Fairfield by 5
13 Vermont (4 - 2) 124 15 Lost to NR UMBC by 2
14 Navy (3 - 0) 114 16 Lost to #18 Loyola by a lot
15 Hofstra (4 - 1) 113 19 Beat NR Towson by 1
16 Ohio State (3 - 3) 108 17 Losing to # 8 Rutgers (in progress)
17 Richmond (4 - 3) 104 20 Losing to #6 UVA (in progress)
18 Loyola (4 - 3) 79 12 Beat #14 Navy by a lot.
19 UMass (2 - 1) 54 13 Lost to NR Drexel by 1
20 UAlbany (4 - 2) 40 21 Beat UMass Lowell by a lot.
My media poll prediction. Not actually the same as my personal ranking.

Rank
1 Duke (10 - 0) Beat UNC
2 Maryland (7 - 0) Beat PSU
3 North Carolina (8 - 1) Lost to Duke
4 Denver (8 - 2) Beat Marq
5 Notre Dame (5 - 1) Beat SU
6 Rutgers (5 - 2) Beat OSU
7 Syracuse (4 - 3) Lost to ND
8 Virginia (8 - 2) Beat Richmond
9 Georgetown (7 - 1) Beat St. Johns
10 Lehigh (5 - 0) Beat Army
11 Army (4 - 2) Lost to Lehigh
12 Delaware (7 - 1) Beat Fairfield
13 Villanova (4-2) Beat Providence
14 Loyola (5 - 3) Beat Navy
15 Ohio State (3 - 4) Lost to Rutgers
16 Stony Brook (5-3) Beat UAlbany
17 Hofstra (5 - 2) Lost to Umass, Beat Towson
18 Navy (3 - 1) Lost to Loyola
19 UMBC (5-1) Beat Vermont
20 UMass (3 - 2) Beat Hofstra, Lost to Drexel
21 Vermont (4 - 3) Lost to UMBC
22 Hobart (3-1) Beat Bryant
23 Bryant (5-2) Lost to Hobart
24 Richmond (4 - 4) Lost to Virginia
25 UAlbany (5 - 2) Beat UMass Lowell
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe the 5th years are really showing up in this disjointed season because it really gets shaky after Delaware. IVYs couldn’t fill 9 slots alone so it would appear this is where the movement in the top 6-8 has just separated from everyone else.
See Martin, Malcolm
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Syracuse will drop to 10. That was a bad loss. Not that ND is bad but that final score, at home nonetheless, is unsightly.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:59 pm Syracuse will drop to 10. That was a bad loss. Not that ND is bad but that final score, at home nonetheless, is unsightly.
That's twice so far this year they've been just absolutely embarrassed at home.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

PulpExposure wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:29 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:59 pm Syracuse will drop to 10. That was a bad loss. Not that ND is bad but that final score, at home nonetheless, is unsightly.
That's twice so far this year they've been just absolutely embarrassed at home.
Probably right that SU drops more. Would you put Virginia above Syracuse? Virginia lost to SU by 10 in the dome. UVA beating ND last week in South Bend makes it even more complex. Army beating SU in the dome, and then losing to Lehigh does not help SU.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 pm Probably right that SU drops more. Would you put Virginia above Syracuse? Virginia lost to SU by 10 in the dome. UVA beating ND last week in South Bend makes it even more complex. Army beating SU in the dome, and then losing to Lehigh does not help SU.
It probably depends on the voter. Some probably rank based upon common Ws/Ls or head-to-head. Some probably rank based on how teams are playing. I think UVA is playing better than Cuse right now.

One of the things that probably separates teams 1-5 from teams 6-10 is player leadership. When you get a team like Cuse yo-yoing, you have to wonder what their seniors are doing. Teams in the Top 5 just seem to have more "Steady the ship" kind of leadership at this point. To me, a guy like Ryan Conrad was the exemplar of senior leadership. The dude just set the tone every week for UVA in 2019. Chris Gray seems to have that edge to him. On Duke, I don't know who that player is, but they seem to have someone in that locker room who is holding teammates accountable (JTGH? Montgomery?). Maryland has Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (and probably Puglise). I'm a huge fan of Connor Kirst at RU. That team seems to go as he goes. For Denver...I don't know who it is. Morrill? Cotler? Hard to imagine a one-year grad transfer having that clout, but they're coming in with rings, so that might get auto-respect.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 am
DU-fan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 pm Probably right that SU drops more. Would you put Virginia above Syracuse? Virginia lost to SU by 10 in the dome. UVA beating ND last week in South Bend makes it even more complex. Army beating SU in the dome, and then losing to Lehigh does not help SU.
It probably depends on the voter. Some probably rank based upon common Ws/Ls or head-to-head. Some probably rank based on how teams are playing. I think UVA is playing better than Cuse right now.

One of the things that probably separates teams 1-5 from teams 6-10 is player leadership. When you get a team like Cuse yo-yoing, you have to wonder what their seniors are doing. Teams in the Top 5 just seem to have more "Steady the ship" kind of leadership at this point. To me, a guy like Ryan Conrad was the exemplar of senior leadership. The dude just set the tone every week for UVA in 2019. Chris Gray seems to have that edge to him. On Duke, I don't know who that player is, but they seem to have someone in that locker room who is holding teammates accountable (JTGH? Montgomery?). Maryland has Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (and probably Puglise). I'm a huge fan of Connor Kirst at RU. That team seems to go as he goes. For Denver...I don't know who it is. Morrill? Cotler? Hard to imagine a one-year grad transfer having that clout, but they're coming in with rings, so that might get auto-respect.
Totally agree you need a leader you can count on to set the tone, particularly when the going gets tough. I think it ends up being more of an on the field sort of thing than a locker room presence however. You also need the horses who can fall in line behind that leader,with the ability to also up their games once that tone is set. Right now I see Syracuse underplaying their talent, Rutgers perhaps overplaying. I think Ierlan is going to make a huge difference for DU down the stretch even though he will only be there for half a season but I also agree it would behoove one of the players with a more generalized presence (it looks like Hannah to me) who has been with the program for a number of years to really bring the rest of the team along. Last month of the season and the race for NCAA seeding should get more and more interesting.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 am

For Maryland I would add Makar to your list. In the video output from Maryland they have shown it’s Makar voice you hear in the huddle.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D1 MEN: Notre Dame Won One (Big) Game
This weekend, numerous lower-ranked teams beat higher-ranked teams. St. Bonaventure #63 beat #53 Manhattan. Utah #45 beat #37 Boston University. And… Notre Dame #11 beat #7 Syracuse. And, in most every case...

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/05/d1-men-no ... -big-game/
Caddy Day
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I posted this on the Denver forum too, but thought I would post it here too since I looked up the ND/DU stats instead of working on a Monday :lol:

The fact that the Media Poll has Notre Dame ranked in front of Denver is good. It makes Denver feel disrespected and will make them work even harder.
  • Denver's #1 rival is Notre Dame.
  • Last year, Denver beat ND 14-11 in South Bend in the last game of the season.
  • DU Graduation High Impact Losses:
    • None
  • DU Transfer Portal High Impact Adds:
    • Jackson Morrill from Yale ((21G, 24A,m 45 points, 11 GB)
    • TD Irelan from Yale (2 games - 25/26 .962 Face Offs, 15 GB)
    • Lucas Cotler from Yale (9G, 4A, 13 points, 7 GB)
  • ND Graduation High Impact Losses:
    • Bryan Costabile (10G, 5A, 15 points, 6 GB), Drafted 2nd in PLL
    • Brian Willetts (7G, 3A, 10 points, 4 GB)
  • ND Transfer Portal High Impact Adds:
    • Will York from Bucknell (14G, no assists, 14 points, 8 GB)
    • Kyle Gallagher from Penn (65/90 .722 Face Offs, 44 GB)
    • Kyle Thorton from Penn (starting D, 11 GB)
  • ND clearly lost significantly more due to graduation.
  • DU gained more in the Transfer Portal
  • The media has a bias to the ACC. Most of the games are televised nationally.
  • Denver is only streaming the games on a pay web service. Altitude can not resolve TV rights with most providers so very people watch the games compared to ACC games.
  • A very high percentage of media went to Syracuse.
  • When a team beats Syracuse 18-11, they over react. Both in criticizing Syracuse and giving too much credit to the team that beat SU.
Those are the facts. Being ranked #4 or #5 on April 5th doesn't matter. But, it will give Denver more motivation to get better and prove people wrong.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 pm
  • The media has a bias to the ACC. Most of the games are televised nationally.
  • Denver is only streaming the games on a pay web service. Altitude can not resolve TV rights with most providers so very people watch the games compared to ACC games.
  • A very high percentage of media went to Syracuse.
  • When a team beats Syracuse 18-11, they over react. Both in criticizing Syracuse and giving too much credit to the team that beat SU.
Those are the facts. Being ranked #4 or #5 on April 5th doesn't matter. But, it will give Denver more motivation to get better and prove people wrong.
Anchoring:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring ... tive_bias)

Because of the preseason hype, there's going to be little movement of ACC teams (unless the bottom totally falls out at Syracuse). If all of the ACC teams beat the tar out of each other and ended up all like 2-3 or 3-2, it would be evidence of how great the conference is. The reality is that no one really knows.

Anchoring also explains why PSU and JHU were even receiving votes last week (or even ranked, as I think PSU was in one poll). If you watch any of their games, they don't look like a Top 20 team.

Anchoring is powerful. It's going to play a huge role in NCAA selections because their supplemental data is meaningless this year, so it's all going to be "eye test."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 pm
The media has a bias to the ACC
Well, yeah.

The ACCs have a combined 25 national titles.
4 of the 5 ACC teams have multiple national titles.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”