Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by admin »

All the posts between Jan. 22-24 were lost. I won't torture you with the details but losing these posts was a good trade. Anyway... Too bad about Staats and Oladunmoye. Not SU but still ACC, Will Bowen at UNC out for the season.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

sholokov2 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:10 pm thought I might drag some of the SU old-timers onto this forum to start from where we left off at Laxpower. I would like to see fan lax create an up to date recruiting, in season scores, media coverage data base like the ones on Laxpower. I have not yet explored fanlax thoroughly enough to know the available resources. Let's continue our year's long muck raking here.
Speaking of old timers,I ran into Jack Salerno in a COSTCO.I assume he was not a LaxPower poster.He had on a Syracuse cap and still had his usual iron-grip.Had a lot of laughs discussing our LI lacrosse Club days.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Hearing rumors that another 2019 attack has recently committed, he is listed as a 4 star by inside lacrosse. He is a flip from an IVY, rumored that he was deferred admission in the Early Decision pool. He is still listed as a commit to that school on inside lacrosse, but he did post a story on his Instagram of him from a photo shoot at Syracuse similar to Russ Maher's tweet before he committed to UVA. This kid was rocking the 22. Not sure if that means anything or if they just gave him a number that wasn’t in circulation at the time. I think he would be the top 2019 attack commit.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

These are the 4 star 2019 attack committed to IVY's
Skyler Wilson - Yale
Griffin Wilson - Yale
Devin McLane-Brown
Jack Wood-Brown
Graham Blake- Harvard
Robert Schain- Penn
MacGregor Peterson- Penn
Christian Ronda- Princeton
DMac

Post by DMac »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Well, the Wilsons already had decommitted from Denver.
So I’d say probably not.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Sorry for the confusion I didn’t want to name anyone until I saw some evidence

http://hotsta.net/willmoriartydesigns

This will help.
bjred

Post by bjred »

https://cuse.com/news/2019/2/2/mens-lac ... mmage.aspx

Rough one, Yale twitter reported that the halftime score was 12-4 before SU came back to make the final 18-14. Some highlights from the article:
Varello 12-21 with a majority against Ierlan.
Voigt with a hat trick. Cook, Solomon, and Lipka 1-2 each. Trimboli was 2-1. Quinn and Kennedy with a pair each.
Porter had 6 saves in the first half, with Strang and Klan getting a quarter each in the second half.
Dordevic, Rehfuss, and others not mentioned sat out but Desko says they should be ready for the opener.
They played a 5th quarter but no additional details.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I saw Brad Voigt play in the fall in Philly. I have a feeling this guy is going to go OFF this year. He is an assassin from inside and out.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, Varello 12-21 v Ierlan is impressive, gotta like the sound of that. Came out of the gate slow but then outscored the Bulldogs 10-6 down the stretch. Not all bad news there to me. Couple of starters not in there, 1st scrimmage...can live with that. Let the season begin.
bjred

Post by bjred »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:57 pmCame out of the gate slow but then outscored the Bulldogs 10-6 down the stretch. Not all bad news there to me. Couple of starters not in there, 1st scrimmage...can live with that. Let the season begin.
If only that were the case, the PS article gives more depth than the Cuse write up. Slow start, offense rushing shots, defense outmatched by Yales speed and physicality. Bright spot does seem to be the play of Varello. Sounds as though the boys just didn't care about this scrimmage while Yale treated it like a regular season game. Scoring by quarter 6-1 Yale, 6-3 Yale, 5-2 Yale, 8-1 SU, 3-2 Yale. Could be another .500 year and early exit if they even make the tournament unless they step into another gear starting Friday.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... -yale.html

Post Game Presser
https://youtu.be/f06Uaz1L9v0
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Heard the opposite, that Syracuse was actually the faster and more physical team but needless slides by close d kept leaving Yale open on doorstep. Closed suppose to be experienced veteran group, has played together for years but clearly not in sync for whatever reason. Had breakdowns at times last year as well.

Despite that, Cuse has some real talents, if Varello has improved then team should be good. Colgate is improved so opener likely a competitive game.
sulaxaholic

Post by sulaxaholic »

Its February you can analyze and arm chair quarterback the team all you want but you will know nothing until next Friday. Desko never shows everything until the season actually begins. The scrimmages are for the players to be evaluated by the staff the actual scores of the game have little to no meaning. Its pretty hard to evaluate a team performance with 2 major starters sidelined with injuries 3 different goalies playing and players rotating and subing like a revolving door. You will get your first glimpse at the 2019 Orange next Friday and even then we wont have a real clue until there is tape on every team. Coaches having the ability to scout and game plan for a specific opponent makes a huge difference. Colgate will be a dangerous test last year they came out of the gates red hot before tanking later in the season
sulaxaholic

Post by sulaxaholic »

bjred wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:37 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:57 pmCame out of the gate slow but then outscored the Bulldogs 10-6 down the stretch. Not all bad news there to me. Couple of starters not in there, 1st scrimmage...can live with that. Let the season begin.
If only that were the case, the PS article gives more depth than the Cuse write up. Slow start, offense rushing shots, defense outmatched by Yales speed and physicality. Bright spot does seem to be the play of Varello. Sounds as though the boys just didn't care about this scrimmage while Yale treated it like a regular season game. Scoring by quarter 6-1 Yale, 6-3 Yale, 5-2 Yale, 8-1 SU, 3-2 Yale. Could be another .500 year and early exit if they even make the tournament unless they step into another gear starting Friday.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... -yale.html

Post Game Presser
https://youtu.be/f06Uaz1L9v0
No offense but the sub standard is about the least credible source for lacrosse info on the planet
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Were it not for the Albany and Johns Hopkins games last year, I might buy the pollyannish optimism of some of these posts. SU was completely outclassed and dominated in those games. Same players this year. Desko was holding nothing back. Sorry guys but for many years performance in scrimmages does predict to a significant extent regular season results. Yale was two days from its first practice. Dismal results disturbed Desko. Watch his face during the presser. Maybe next year.
a fan

Post by a fan »

A Syracuse fan throwing in the towel because of the results of a scrimmage held on the first day of February.

Well, that tops any Eeyore posts I've ever seen over ten years at the Hopkins page, well done. ;)

---If you tell me that you didn't even see the scrimmage, and are basing your comment on the Post Standard's report, coupled with "the look on Desko's face in the presser", you are my hero. (fingers crossed)
bjred

Post by bjred »

sulaxaholic wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 pm No offense but the sub standard is about the least credible source for lacrosse info on the planet
While I agree the quality of lacrosse content has dwindled ever since Rahme left, Kramer has been the best covering it out of the few guys they've tried. But what's so inaccurate about the article? Most of what was in the article you hear straight from Desko in his presser. Varello did well winning draws but they coughed some of the possessions up. Offense was sloppy, maybe some of this you can say is because Rehfuss wasn't out there. Shot selection and placement still an issue, and has been for a couple years. The biggest concern for me is on the defensive side. Pretty much the entire defense is back, with some of those guys being in the system for 3 years, and yet communication is still lacking especially on slides. Again something that has been for a few years now. Almost seems like there hasn't been a vocal defensive leader since Megill.

I think the talent is there again on offense, if they settle down, to put up the points. It's the defense that has me wondering what type of season this will be. I would love to be wrong but giving up 12 goals in one half to a team looking to repeat doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Like you said though, the season doesn't begin until Friday night. See you all there.

Here's the full presser, not sure why SU's channel only posted half of it.
https://youtu.be/-y96z6kUy8Q
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

bjred wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:16 pm
sulaxaholic wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 pm No offense but the sub standard is about the least credible source for lacrosse info on the planet
While I agree the quality of lacrosse content has dwindled ever since Rahme left, Kramer has been the best covering it out of the few guys they've tried. But what's so inaccurate about the article? Most of what was in the article you hear straight from Desko in his presser. Varello did well winning draws but they coughed some of the possessions up. Offense was sloppy, maybe some of this you can say is because Rehfuss wasn't out there. Shot selection and placement still an issue, and has been for a couple years. The biggest concern for me is on the defensive side. Pretty much the entire defense is back, with some of those guys being in the system for 3 years, and yet communication is still lacking especially on slides. Again something that has been for a few years now. Almost seems like there hasn't been a vocal defensive leader since Megill.

I think the talent is there again on offense, if they settle down, to put up the points. It's the defense that has me wondering what type of season this will be. I would love to be wrong but giving up 12 goals in one half to a team looking to repeat doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Like you said though, the season doesn't begin until Friday night. See you all there.

Here's the full presser, not sure why SU's channel only posted half of it.
https://youtu.be/-y96z6kUy8Q
I think the short sticks were the most to blame last season. I wonder if they've improved. Hutchings and Oladunmoye got a lot of playing time last season and they aren't playing this season. If the short sticks are getting beat, the defense will have a hard time improving.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

5dimes has Syracuse opening at -2.5, (-180) against Colgate for tomorrow. -395 on the money line.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”