NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dave

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by Dave »

Conn starting practice on Sat. Seem to have tentative non-conference games scheduled starting by 3/1. Tentative to play Trinity and Wesleyan later in March if they are both playing....way, way better than nothing at this point.
NESLAX

Post by NESLAX »

Have heard that Trinity is tentatively scheduled to play Conn twice and Coast Guard twice.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Source told me Tufts has a tentative March 1st start date
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

Spineless Ivy League Admin have cancelled league play for the spring but they may allow limited, local non conference competition if conditions improve. Working with the NCAA for a blanket waiver for those who might participate in a contest this spring.
Will NESCAC follow?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

dawn patrol wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:01 pm Spineless Ivy League Admin have cancelled league play for the spring but they may allow limited, local non conference competition if conditions improve. Working with the NCAA for a blanket waiver for those who might participate in a contest this spring.
Will NESCAC follow?
I would be shocked if they get any waiver or extra year of eligibility for Ivy players. The schools are making the idiotic decision themselves not to play, it is not at the NCAA behest like last year. When 90% of D1 schools are playing, why on earth should the players at the 10% who aren’t get extra eligibility? Why would, say, ACC schools be OK with a waiver for Jeff Teat? I certainly expect same for NESCAC. Whether they play or not, this year counts as a season for the players if they are enrolled.
ergit

Post by ergit »

This year will not count toward eligibility, regardless of whether they play or not. This applies to all D3 athletes.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... t-athletes
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 pm
dawn patrol wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:01 pm Spineless Ivy League Admin have cancelled league play for the spring but they may allow limited, local non conference competition if conditions improve. Working with the NCAA for a blanket waiver for those who might participate in a contest this spring.
Will NESCAC follow?
I would be shocked if they get any waiver or extra year of eligibility for Ivy players. The schools are making the idiotic decision themselves not to play, it is not at the NCAA behest like last year. When 90% of D1 schools are playing, why on earth should the players at the 10% who aren’t get extra eligibility? Why would, say, ACC schools be OK with a waiver for Jeff Teat? I certainly expect same for NESCAC. Whether they play or not, this year counts as a season for the players if they are enrolled.
The ACC schools should be OK with a waiver for JT, because Duke got an NCAA waiver despite the school making the idiotic decision itself not to play, not at the NCAA behest. Now whether the Ivies would be OK with it is a different question.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 am
Will NESCAC follow?
The ACC schools should be OK with a waiver for JT, because Duke got an NCAA waiver despite the school making the idiotic decision itself not to play, not at the NCAA behest. Now whether the Ivies would be OK with it is a different question.
I don’t follow. NCAA cancelled spring championships last spring, not the schools and the NCAA gave a waiver of an extra year of eligibility, not the schools. They would not have granted a waiver to some schools but not others. Spring sports are being held this year with NCAA sponsored championships. If a school is choosing not to participate, that is on them. I certainly would have liked to see Duke playing last spring but they did not have the option to, just as they could not have unilaterally decided to play hoops in a March madness tourney that was cancelled.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ergit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 pm This year will not count toward eligibility, regardless of whether they play or not. This applies to all D3 athletes.

I stand corrected, thank you. I forgot that D3 did that again this year. I doubt a large number of NESCAC players will take advantage of that but I guess we will have to see what rosters look like next year.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:57 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 am
Will NESCAC follow?
I don’t follow. NCAA cancelled spring championships last spring, not the schools and the NCAA gave a waiver of an extra year of eligibility, not the schools. They would not have granted a waiver to some schools but not others. Spring sports are being held this year with NCAA sponsored championships. If a school is choosing not to participate, that is on them. I certainly would have liked to see Duke playing last spring but they did not have the option to, just as they could not have unilaterally decided to play hoops in a March madness tourney that was cancelled.
I am sorry, I should have been more clear. After Duke cancelled their season in response the Nifong / Gang of 88 hoax, the NCAA granted Duke a waiver. So, they, and their fellow ACC schools, should not have a problem next year if the NCAA grants the Ivies a waiver. Not that I think the Ivies will ask for one, but I suppose I am getting off-topic here.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

*MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WILL ALLOW FANS FOR KNICKS GAME FEB. 23

But you keep those young men safe from running around on a field outside NESCAC... well done!

:roll:
smoova

Post by smoova »

Williams started practices last night.
Dave

Post by Dave »

When was the date that the NESCAC set to revisit the decision? Covid rates down 70% in the last 6 weeks...just sayin...
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 am When was the date that the NESCAC set to revisit the decision? Covid rates down 70% in the last 6 weeks...just sayin...
Last i saw was "late-February to early-March"... really nailing it down - or giving themselves lots of time to say nothing at all.
Dave

Post by Dave »

so something in the next 3 weeks....hope they do the right thing, but I'm pessimistic at best...
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

My guess is no formal season, leaving it up to schools to organize local competition
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

isaacwright22 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:58 pm My guess is no formal season, leaving it up to schools to organize local competition
I'm not as well informed as some of the folks who have been tracking each new development with regard to the 2021 season, but if the season is left up to the schools to decide, then is it possible/likely for teams to travel out of state to find opponents? Asking because if I'm Tufts, Williams, Middlebury, etc., then why not create a tough out of conference schedule with some of the better teams in D3 to keep the strength of schedule up?
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

JumboFan4 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm
isaacwright22 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:58 pm My guess is no formal season, leaving it up to schools to organize local competition
I'm not as well informed as some of the folks who have been tracking each new development with regard to the 2021 season, but if the season is left up to the schools to decide, then is it possible/likely for teams to travel out of state to find opponents? Asking because if I'm Tufts, Williams, Middlebury, etc., then why not create a tough out of conference schedule with some of the better teams in D3 to keep the strength of schedule up?
Your logic makes sense as long as teams can stay relatively safe as I can’t see anyone doing overnight travel. I think we will see some of the powerhouse teams play based upon recent comment. It looks like Tufts, Wesleyan, Williams and up and coming Trinity will be playing as well as Conn College and Bates but does appear Amherst and Williams are out along with Bowdoin. Not really sure on the others but could see that potentially adding teams like Union, Cabrini, and a few others within driving distance that they might not normally play. BTW from what I have heard watch out for Trinity they may surprise a lot of people this year.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm
More pressure on the schools to deal with travel restrictions. Specifically Maine and Vt. I highly doubt the Nescac presidents would allow teams to do overnight excursions. Overnight trips would definitely be out of the question unless it could be a day trip. As a lot of d3 schools are doing it too. Players show up at the field with their equipment with no access to locker rooms. Western MA has local competition with WNE, Springfield, Williams and close to CT as well. All this procrastination till a March 1st decision is unacceptable though, create a plan and execute it
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

ergit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 pm This year will not count toward eligibility, regardless of whether they play or not. This applies to all D3 athletes.

So in theory Freshman and Sophomores on the 2021 roster have eligibility through the Spring of 2025? If true, could they use that extra year(s) at the Division ! level?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”