Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Cletus »

MAN! These boards are addictive when the season looms and begins. I might need an intervention at some point. 🙃
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm As long as I'm on the subject of tall trees on the Michigan Wolverines, seems like coach is recruiting big. Check out the heights of her underclass:

Fr - 5'6", 5'10", 5'5", 5'7", 5'10", 5'7", 5'8", 5'9", 5'9"
So - 5'7", 5'5", 5'4", 5'10", 5'5", 5'6", 5'9", 5'8", 5'4"

Good strategy? Thoughts?
Size is great, if you have everything else, but as a leading metric, nah.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Anyone heard from FanLax Computer? That lovable collection of transistors and ram sticks someone spilled lemonade on before the sugar was added? I think a little sour milk might have been spilled on it too. I miss that old curmudgeon, spitting out its cacophony of cockamamie claptrap. That misanthropic sheep-shouter. I wonder if it will be coming along for the ride this season? If not, I hope its cpu rots away. Up yours, FanLax Computer!
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:31 am Anyone heard from FanLax Computer? That lovable collection of transistors and ram sticks someone spilled lemonade on before the sugar was added? I think a little sour milk might have been spilled on it too. I miss that old curmudgeon, spitting out its cacophony of cockamamie claptrap. That misanthropic sheep-shouter. I wonder if it will be coming along for the ride this season? If not, I hope its cpu rots away. Up yours, FanLax Computer!
What about LaxBytes is that still up and running ?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 am
Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:31 am Anyone heard from FanLax Computer? That lovable collection of transistors and ram sticks someone spilled lemonade on before the sugar was added? I think a little sour milk might have been spilled on it too. I miss that old curmudgeon, spitting out its cacophony of cockamamie claptrap. That misanthropic sheep-shouter. I wonder if it will be coming along for the ride this season? If not, I hope its cpu rots away. Up yours, FanLax Computer!
What about LaxBytes is that still up and running ?
FanLax Computer is a member on this forum. He’s hilarious. Search his posts and you’ll see what I mean. But sssssshhhhhhhh... Don’t let him know. His head is already as big as a main frame.
Cletus

Much Success and Good Luck

Post by Cletus »

I just want to wish all you parents of daughters and sons who are playing lacrosse this season a very healthy and successful season. May your children excel at their positions on the field and in the classrooms. May they enjoy their teammates and friends. May they score goals, dish assists, scoop ground balls, cause turnovers, control draws, defend mightily and accomplish great things this season as never before. May it be a season you and they can look back on with pride and accomplishment.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Cletus.
TNLAX

Re: Much Success and Good Luck

Post by TNLAX »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:45 am I just want to wish all you parents of daughters and sons who are playing lacrosse this season a very healthy and successful season. May your children excel at their positions on the field and in the classrooms. May they enjoy their teammates and friends. May they score goals, dish assists, scoop ground balls, cause turnovers, control draws, defend mightily and accomplish great things this season as never before. May it be a season you and they can look back on with pride and accomplishment.
Wonderful post and thoughts.
wlaxphan20

Re: UNC—Already crowned?

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm I wonder what UNC's starting lineup will be; there is almost too much talent to manage. And UNC is pretty darn complete on attack, between the 30s, and in goal. Hard to find a soft spot. If they can find playing time for enough kids, and chemistry, I just don't see anyone beating them -- competing with them, sure. But I think UNC is going to score a lot of goals.

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?
Hard to find any cracks in your case, sea. It will indeed be interesting to see what the lineup looks like once the season gets up and running.

I would venture to include Florida, Maryland and Duke. If Stony Brook and NU are there, I think these 3 other teams belong as well. Unless I'm not clear on what separates NU and SB from these other teams. I just have a hunch about Duke. Having watched them play last year a couple times I was impressed with their young talent complimenting the jr's and sr's. I think they will take the next step this season and be right around the top 10 by seasons end. Maryland has Cathy Reese. I would be surprised if her team doesn't look better next year. I don't know if anyone was more relieved when last season ended prematurely. And Florida--they are hard to figure sometimes. They look like a powerhouse some games and other games they look like any other lacrosse program in the lesser antilles. But one can say that about NU and SB at times as well. Just some thoughts.

UNC is so deep that I can't see it making much of a difference but, I'm interested to see what Julia Dorsey does this spring. She seemed to just be hitting her stride and making the transition from soccer to lacrosse season when she earned the start in what would be UNC's last game of the season against Northwestern. Expected to just compete for a travel roster spot on the women's soccer team, she started the last 18 games of her freshman season on a team that went all the way to PK's in the College Cup Final eventually losing to Stanford. She also started all 12 games in UNC's abbreviated soccer season this past fall. 3 of UNC's best players (and starters) elected to turn pro instead of coming back for the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship taking place this spring, making Dorsey's role as an experienced starter even more integral. I believe the championship tournament is supposed to start sometime in April. Just like the lacrosse program, the women's soccer program is loaded with talent and depth year in and year out, so Dorsey's presence or absence for either program this season may not necessarily make or break the success of that team, but I just thought it would be interesting to see how she, Levy, and Dorrance navigate this unique spring. I think she likely sticks with the lacrosse program this spring; both coaches are class acts so I'm sure it will be handled graciously.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:45 am I just want to wish all you parents of daughters and sons who are playing lacrosse this season a very healthy and successful season. May your children excel at their positions on the field and in the classrooms. May they enjoy their teammates and friends. May they score goals, dish assists, scoop ground balls, cause turnovers, control draws, defend mightily and accomplish great things this season as never before. May it be a season you and they can look back on with pride and accomplishment.
Cletus - very classy and thank you. It's been a long time since we had wlax. Not sure if everyone has an appreciation of the mental impact and sacrifice that these kids have gone through. They are subject to multiple weekly testings, bubbles, pods, quarantines, isolation and have little to no social life. Most of these athletes have great friends who are athletes in other sports and kids who they've gotten to know through their classes - they can't spend 1 minute with them in order to "stay within the bubble". Imagine being back at school but not allowed to spend time with anyone outside of your team. They were all sent home last year in mid March - having played a game on Wednesday and by the end of the week, the season was cancelled and they were sent home without any real closure to the season or saying proper goodbyes. They are willing to give up a lot to get back on the field, but it takes a real toll.

Because we are all fans of the game, we mostly tend to focus on the top 4 or 10 teams while I would wager that most of the parents on this board have kids that are in those 15 - 50 programs. Some may be surprised that a lot of these programs had no fall practices, no winter practices, no conditioning, no team lifts, no stickwork and certainly no scrimmages. It's been months of virtual classes and ZOOM team meetings. A lot of these teams set foot back on the field as a team for the first time only a few weeks ago.

I have my fingers crossed for the first week and share your sentiments for a healthy and successful season.
Last edited by 8meterPA on Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Their determination is commendable. I imagine it’s very difficult for the parents as well.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

We’re all going to have to be patient. This just in:

“COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland women's lacrosse season opener at Johns Hopkins scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 14, has been postponed as mutually agreed upon out of an abundance of caution surrounding the health and safety of the participants due to positive COVID-19 testing results in the Blue Jays' program.”

8meterPA, thanks for that post. Those of us without kids in the mix might not have that perspective, but for posts like yours. Much appreciated. Good luck this season.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:22 pm
Because we are all fans of the game, we mostly tend to focus on the top 4 or 10 teams while I would wager that most of the parents on this board have kids that are in those 15 - 50 programs. Some may be surprised that a lot of these programs had no fall practices, no winter practices, no conditioning, no team lifts, no stickwork and certainly no scrimmages. It's been months of virtual classes and ZOOM team meetings. A lot of these teams set foot back on the field as a team for the first time only a few weeks ago.

I have my fingers crossed for the first week and share your sentiments for a healthy and successful season.
Good post, as always.....I can confirm that some top 4 or 10 teams had no winter practices, no conditioning, no team lifts, no stickwork and certainly no scrimmages.It's been months of virtual classes and ZOOM team meetings. A lot of these teams set foot back on the field as a team for the first time only a few weeks ago.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 am

Good post, as always.....I can confirm that some top 4 or 10 teams had no winter practices, no conditioning, no team lifts, no stickwork and certainly no scrimmages.It's been months of virtual classes and ZOOM team meetings. A lot of these teams set foot back on the field as a team for the first time only a few weeks ago.
Doc, good luck to your daughter and I hope fans are allowed to attend - I'm rooting for them (no jinx)!
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 am

I think the lack of full practices and reps will be really important factors in early results this year. Rookies will likely feel this the most coming out of the gate. Combine that with likely COVId absences and this is likely to be a bumpy ride. Just look at how some of the top men’s teams struggled the past two weeks for evidence. This is where I believe the impact of the best coaches will be felt. Can’t wait to see what the first two weeks has in store for us!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 am
Doc, good luck to your daughter and I hope fans are allowed to attend - I'm rooting for them (no jinx)!
Thanks....it looks like no fans for now. I did notice that UVA has allowed fans to their home games. I guess in the ACC or maybe the Commonwealth, that the institution can decide. I think for the State of MD, that is defined by the Gov....or maybe its PL or institution based, not really sure...
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 am
8meterPA wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 am
Thanks....it looks like no fans for now. I did notice that UVA has allowed fans to their home games. I guess in the ACC or maybe the Commonwealth, that the institution can decide. I think for the State of MD, that is defined by the Gov....or maybe its PL or institution based, not really sure...
Very few schools permitting fans even at outdoor venues for now, including large stadiums. Likely will be <250 total, Parents only and limited to 2 attendees per athlete for a while. That is apparently what UVA is able to do now. Some of the boys games also had limited fans this pst weekend. Most schools promising upgraded streaming but we shall see with other seasonal sports now competing as well.
Bart

Post by Bart »

This is pretty cool, was posted on the men's side.

If you are interested in where wLax is played in any division it can be seen here:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/re ... er-schools
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 am Most schools promising upgraded streaming but we shall see with other seasonal sports now competing as well.
"Upgraded streaming" eh? I like the sound of that.
Cletus

Thanks for the well oiled machine, gents

Post by Cletus »

I don't know the names or the faces, but to whomever the folks are who keep the Back-Up Stick the first choice out of the gym bag--Thank you!

It's great to have a place to talk shop with other wlax fans. FL is also the only place I know where I can read insightful, knowledgeable and sometimes very amusing posts. None of us would be able to do that if it wasn't for you guys doing a bang up job. Always there, always reliable. I say that because I have never encountered a glitch using this forum. And lastly, you let the members express themselves freely but know when to step in and whistle someone off the ice.

Hip Hip!!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”