Matnum PI

Stony Brook

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
spartanslynx

Re: Stony Brook

Post by spartanslynx »

A intrasquad game with 60 second shot clock will be stream on Twitter 5 pm tonight.

Find the rosters in the Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/StonyBrookWLAX
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

To listen to coach Spallina tell it, this team will wipe everyone else off the face of the map this season. I remain skeptical. SB will get a stiff test right out of the gate when they clash with Syracuse for their season opener. (Think the ladies in Syracuse might have a little revenge on their minds from last year?) After that, there is NO competition for the rest of the season, including the AE conference finals, until they get to The Tournament. NONE! Can't sharpen your teeth on the weak lambs of the America East. They'll win a round or two, or maybe three--but they won't be bringing home any national hardware.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... rook-women
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

Understand coaches promoting their teams but in that regard no coach is more delusional than Spallina.

Peace, out.

TL
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am Understand coaches promoting their teams but in that regard no coach is more delusional than Spallina.

Peace, out.

TL
Uh-oh, TL. You may have just blown the high frequency whistle and summoned Larrygamlax (if I'm remembering his name correctly). Which isn't a bad thing. I'm sure there are some of us (raising my hand) who miss Larry. He certainly stirred the swill, which is good for conversations and discussions on these here boards. "That is all." 😉
Turtles Lax

There is a method to...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...TL’s madness on occasion. :lol:

It is ‘LarryGamLax,’ and Larry typically calls TL with his defenses (rants!) of all things Stony Brook related. TL is not lying.

Larry does know a little bit about lax, but he is so in love with SBU and the Evil Empire that his opinions are typically flawed when discussing those programs.

Peace, out.

TL

Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:17 am
Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am Understand coaches promoting their teams but in that regard no coach is more delusional than Spallina.

Peace, out.

TL
Uh-oh, TL. You may have just blown the high frequency whistle and summoned Larrygamlax (if I'm remembering his name correctly). Which isn't a bad thing. I'm sure there are some of us (raising my hand) who miss Larry. He certainly stirred the swill, which is good for conversations and discussions on these here boards. "That is all." 😉
Cletus

Re: There is a method to...

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am Larry does know a little bit about lax, but he is so in love with SBU and the Evil Empire that his opinions are typically flawed when discussing those programs.
Who is this "Evil Empire" you reference, pray tell?
Turtles Lax

The ‘Evil Empire’ is...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...Evanston State...sometimes known as Northwestern U. :D

Term was coined by unknown person in the Laxpower days.

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL
Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 am
Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am Larry does know a little bit about lax, but he is so in love with SBU and the Evil Empire that his opinions are typically flawed when discussing those programs.
Who is this "Evil Empire" you reference, pray tell?
Cletus

Re: There is a method to...

Post by Cletus »

Optional reading 😉

TL does know a little bit about lax, but he is so in love with Maryland that his opinions are typically flawed when discussing that program.

:lol:

OH! I slay me sometimes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

spartanslynx wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am A intrasquad game with 60 second shot clock will be stream on Twitter 5 pm tonight.

Find the rosters in the Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/StonyBrookWLAX
Nice, thanks for posting.
Guess I'll have to miss Dr. Phil but it's all good.
;)
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:16 pm To listen to coach Spallina tell it, this team will wipe everyone else off the face of the map this season. I remain skeptical. SB will get a stiff test right out of the gate when they clash with Syracuse for their season opener. (Think the ladies in Syracuse might have a little revenge on their minds from last year?) After that, there is NO competition for the rest of the season, including the AE conference finals, until they get to The Tournament. NONE! Can't sharpen your teeth on the weak lambs of the America East. They'll win a round or two, or maybe three--but they won't be bringing home any national hardware.

SB is an interesting case this year I think. If Spallina thinks they’re that good, then they probably are pretty good. Agree the issue with SB this year is they won’t be battled tested come tourney time. You could say that any year, but this year especially.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:01 pm SB is an interesting case this year I think. If Spallina thinks they’re that good, then they probably are pretty good. Agree the issue with SB this year is they won’t be battled tested come tourney time. You could say that any year, but this year especially.
I hear what you're saying LaxGuy, but Spallina has proved himself to talk big but not produce results before. He stepped in it big time back in 2018 when he predicted SB would go into BC and win in the NCAA quarters.

Absolutely. I have to think that sisters of the poor schedule they'll be playing will hurt them. They can scrimmage each other all they want--it's not the same thing as running into a buzzsaw like UNC, Loyola, ND, etc. We shall see, SB might surprise everyone like JMU in '18, but I seriously doubt it.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:01 pm SB is an interesting case this year I think. If Spallina thinks they’re that good, then they probably are pretty good. Agree the issue with SB this year is they won’t be battled tested come tourney time. You could say that any year, but this year especially.
I hear what you're saying LaxGuy, but Spallina has proved himself to talk big but not produce results before. He stepped in it big time back in 2018 when he predicted SB would go into BC and win in the NCAA quarters.

Absolutely. I have to think that sisters of the poor schedule they'll be playing will hurt them. They can scrimmage each other all they want--it's not the same thing as running into a buzzsaw like UNC, Loyola, ND, etc. We shall see, SB might surprise everyone like JMU in '18, but I seriously doubt it.
Joe has a mouth, but he is also one of the best coaches in the game. His kids are tough, dedicated and play with the chip of public school kids overlooked by others. Kennedy may in fact be the best player in the country now. He's taken a program at a school in a hotbed, but which gets the second echelon of recruits, and made them winners. That they beat Syracuse and Florida and compete with BC with the Big Three and Maryland in the tournament, is something to be respected. If Joe says he has something special, no one would want the competition more than him. But you have to play the games you can schedule -- and win them.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Joe has a mouth, but he is also one of the best coaches in the game. His kids are tough, dedicated and play with the chip of public school kids overlooked by others. Kennedy may in fact be the best player in the country now. He's taken a program at a school in a hotbed, but which gets the second echelon of recruits, and made them winners. That they beat Syracuse and Florida and compete with BC with the Big Three and Maryland in the tournament, is something to be respected. If Joe says he has something special, no one would want the competition more than him. But you have to play the games you can schedule -- and win them.
Bottom line his team has not been in a final 4 ever. And every year he tells everyone he has best “insert here” middies, attack unit, freshmen, player (always) .....his schedule this year will hurt him and I think a lot of teams don’t want to play him. AK is a very good player but not the best IMO. Just very over hyped as is Joe’s way. And he won’t beat Syracuse this time.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:14 pm AK is a very good player but not the best IMO. Just very over hyped as is Joe’s way. And he won’t beat Syracuse this time.
I put Hawryschuk over Kennedy every time for the best player conversation. I also have to take into account that most of the gaudy numbers AK puts up are versus the Weak AE conference. Kennedy should make the final 5 in the Tewaaraton this year but won’t win it unless SB wins it all. But that’s all obvious.

As far as the battle tested theory espoused by LaxGuy, one need look no further than Cuse’s schedule before they play SB: at Loyola; at Georgetown. SB plays Syracuse right out of the gate.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:14 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Bottom line his team has not been in a final 4 ever. And every year he tells everyone he has best “insert here” middies, attack unit, freshmen, player (always) .....his schedule this year will hurt him and I think a lot of teams don’t want to play him. AK is a very good player but not the best IMO. Just very over hyped as is Joe’s way. And he won’t beat Syracuse this time.
Agreed; that is the bottom line. Why don't teams want to play SBU?

For the record, I am a Syracuse fan. SBU is not my team. I just think Spallina has done a good job with the talent he has and, not parenthetically, I think his players like playing for him and at SBU. It's still college, and that means something to me.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:14 pm AK is a very good player but not the best IMO. Just very over hyped as is Joe’s way. And he won’t beat Syracuse this time.
I put Hawryschuk over Kennedy every time for the best player conversation. I also have to take into account that most of the gaudy numbers AK puts up are versus the Weak AE conference. Kennedy should make the final 5 in the Tewaaraton this year but won’t win it unless SB wins it all. But that’s all obvious.

As far as the battle tested theory espoused by LaxGuy, one need look no further than Cuse’s schedule before they play SB: at Loyola; at Georgetown. SB plays Syracuse right out of the gate.
I also think Hawrychuk is a great player, and maybe the best this year (although that is just tough to say; there are so many great players). I used to think this about AK too, until I saw her with the USWNT.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 am
Agreed; that is the bottom line. Why don't teams want to play SBU?

For the record, I am a Syracuse fan. SBU is not my team. I just think Spallina has done a good job with the talent he has and, not parenthetically, I think his players like playing for him and at SBU. It's still college, and that means something to me.
I think there is something to the scheduling. if SBU played a top schedule, I guess one of two things would happen
  • they are exposed for being an average top 20 team that plays LSOTP
  • They prove that they belong in the best teams legitimately.
I tend to lean towards the former case with SBU. Look at how Florida and USC schedule. One plays much tougher opponents and one doesn't. One is always ranked high, one isnt.... You need that tough schedule to prove your worth, otherwise its just talk.....

Another example of self aggrandizing is a certain school in Virginia that touted that they had the highest scoring middie line in the country...well, they played 10 games and most of them against the LSOTP. Yes they had the highest totals, but some teams had only played 5 games....Its all in the spin....
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

My only beef with Stony Brook is the arrogance projected. Especially for a team that never won anything but the AE title.

AK’s numbers stack up against EH’s numbers. I think I give the nod to Emily because she plays tougher teams.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”