Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Navy 2021

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Thanks for reply.

On which recruits start/do not go to NAPS, as you said, time will tell. I am not a fan of NAPS for recruits. I believe we drive away more talent then we improve talent with the extra year. I am quite familiar with the NAPS/Red Shirt approach, I just disagree.

On issue three I was asking a rhetorical question basically wondering if the upper three classes and the incoming recruits "fit" his system. I lived in Milwaukee (shiver) for his first two years so I saw first hand his system in the (granted few) home games.

Simply, the last paragraph deals with as a grad I am wishing coaches admitted winning is a driving force behind what they do.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

https://www.usna.edu/NewsCenter/2021/01 ... JEjoO_GtMQ

RIP Bill 33. Fair winds and greener pastures.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm On which recruits start/do not go to NAPS, as you said, time will tell. I am not a fan of NAPS for recruits. I believe we drive away more talent then we improve talent with the extra year. I am quite familiar with the NAPS/Red Shirt approach, I just disagree.
I tend to agree with you, but the flip side is look down the senior roster this year, most of them are in the top 1-3 on depth chart and 4 year starters from NAPs. I suppose we'll never know what that looks like had they not gone there. Lynch also did a great job as the past NAPS coach, JL and RW were good recruiters.
Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm On issue three I was asking a rhetorical question basically wondering if the upper three classes and the incoming recruits "fit" his system. I lived in Milwaukee (shiver) for his first two years so I saw first hand his system in the (granted few) home games.
Curious how you define his system? To me, it seems to be in its infancy..... 'play fast and play with a chip on your shoulder'...step on the mfin neck. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

What I saw was a methodical, assist based offense when in a non-transition set. His best seasons and signature wins (like 8-7 over OSU) were his fewer shots per game seasons/games. (granted his first seasons were pre-shot clock) His last seasons at Marq shots per game and shots allowed per game are very similar to Navy's over the same time period. So I am not expecting a UVA like offense based on a one on one break down setting the offense in motion. (As mush as I would like Navy to have that talent to do so)

I am tempted to say his "system" lives and dies with the quality of the players. I believe he will have a fundamentals-based approach and when in the shot clock they shoot will be determined by a player being open or not. i.e. the better the player(s) the better the system
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

The following is from Navy Sports website about Patriot League lacrosse...

MEN'S LACROSSE
The Patriot League's nine men's lacrosse programs will be split into two divisions for the 2021 season. Army West Point, Boston University, Colgate and Holy Cross will play in the North Division, and Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola Maryland and Navy will play in the South Division. Teams will play each divisional opponent at least once with limited games against non-divisional opponents. A minimum of seven League games will be played by each team.

The League schedule is set to begin on Saturday, March 6, concluding on Saturday, April 24, with a built-in makeup date planned for Saturday, May 1. The 2021 Patriot League Men's Lacrosse Championship is scheduled to begin with the semifinal round on Friday, May 7, followed by the championship game on Sunday, May 9.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Patriot League announces scheduling formats for fall, spring and winter sports

Navy men’s lacrosse will not play two traditional opponents — Maryland and Johns Hopkins — due to scheduling conflicts. The Big Ten Conference is expected to announce a double round-robin scheduling format among members only.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

senior Colin Meehan sat down with PhilBergmanTV to talk about life as a D-Mid, growing up overseas and the rivalry he has with his dad and brother during Army-Navy games.

https://twitter.com/navyathletics/statu ... 93889?s=21
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

I received word the other day from Navy Sports Information that the Patriot League lacrosse schedule can't be posted before 5 February. They have no firm information on other conference's schedules so cannot arrange a non-conference schedule if any.....
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

A subject to change non-conference schedule has been posted on Navy Sports website.....first game 20 February vs Mt St Mary's...
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... edule/2021

Great non-conf sched ! Great job Coaches !
I hope they'll be webcast. ? ESPN+ w/ VONL &/or Joe M ?
Long shot on vaccinations for spectators by then.
I hope Gov Larry allows spectators.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Black Lacrosse Stories: Syd “The Squid” Abernethy
https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/02/02/b ... abernethy/
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:19 am Black Lacrosse Stories: Syd “The Squid” Abernethy
Classmate, company mate, lived across the hall, served with him. Amazing mid, lacrosse player, officer, friend and person. Our whole company for our year would go to his games just to watch him. This is why I watched my first lacrosse game, ended up playing battalion and club lacrosse (poorly) and two of my kids then played also.

Not sure where "the squid" came from other than what all West Pointers call midshipmen. I was under the impression his signature move was the inside roll, not that he had just one move though. Amazingly quick especially for his size, his "game" would be just as effective today.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:19 am Black Lacrosse Stories: Syd “The Squid” Abernethy
Very cool story, thanks for sharing
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:17 am
Classmate, company mate, lived across the hall, served with him. Amazing mid, lacrosse player, officer, friend and person. Our whole company for our year would go to his games just to watch him. This is why I watched my first lacrosse game, ended up playing battalion and club lacrosse (poorly) and two of my kids then played also.

Not sure where "the squid" came from other than what all West Pointers call midshipmen. I was under the impression his signature move was the inside roll, not that he had just one move though. Amazingly quick especially for his size, his "game" would be just as effective today.
'Those were 4 really good seasons ('78 - '81). Syd got his chance after plebe year when Brendan Schneck transferred to Hopkins.

78 was my first year back on the E coast (Pax River MD). I was able to see most of Navy's games. For the '81 rematch against Army in the NCAA first rd at WP, I took leave, fired up my trusty Cessna 150, flew up to Stewart AFB & hitched a ride to Michie with the MP's.
Navy was out for revenge that day, It was one of the most intense Navy efforts I can remember. At halftime I was standing above the tunnel leading to the locker room as the team filed off the field, looking intense myself. Asst Coach Carl Schultheis caught my eye, saw my expression, gave me a confidant smile & winked. The Mids dominated the 2nd half & won 16-10, going away. Enjoyable flight home.

...was 4th Batt still the Batt Lax powerhouse & still wearing blue ?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:30 pm ...was 4th Batt still the Batt Lax powerhouse & still wearing blue ?
I just remember it was NOT second Batt mostly thanks to my inept goal tending.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:36 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:30 pm ...was 4th Batt still the Batt Lax powerhouse & still wearing blue ?
I just remember it was NOT second Batt mostly thanks to my inept goal tending.
Was 2nd Batt still wearing green ?

11 years before you, I was 2nd Batt goalie for 2 years , & 4th Batt goalie for 2 years before that,
My 2 years in 4th Batt we were undefeated Brigade champs, then my 2 years in 2nd Batt we were runner up losing only to 4th Batt.
Except for Napster JV footballers (who were my poles), most of us never played lax before plebe summer.

Do you know when Batt lax was discontinued ?
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

Navy schedule at last:

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule

Now we just need to get us fans in the stadiums....
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

!
Some good news. Fans allowed at home games...
https://navysports.com/news/2021/2/5/na ... 214d60435d

Now we're talkin'.....

:)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

NoLeft wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:15 am !
Some good news. Fans allowed at home games...
https://navysports.com/news/2021/2/5/na ... 214d60435d

Now we're talkin'.....

:)
Yesssssss
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”