AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by AreaLax »

3-star safety Dante Trader Jr. signs with Maryland football

He gets a football scholarship but will also play lacrosse
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

pardon my take had your terp social media manager on today.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0502533521
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland newsletter
The Big Ten continues to work towards producing a men's lacrosse schedule for 2021, but we likely will not see a finalized schedule until late January/early February.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tillman, Maryland lacrosse readying for "unpredictable" season

For as much as lacrosse requires hand-eye coordination and athletic ability, a player’s voice matters just as much when it comes to team performance. Coordinating offensive and defensive schemes, calling for a pass when open, working with a teammate to win a ground ball, sending a player defensive help to stop an offensive threat, or identifying a mismatch all happen within the flow of a game. Building up a teammate’s confidence, helping a teammate to learn from a mistake and holding teammates accountable all happen off of the field.

For Maryland coach John Tillman, empowering his players to use their voices was an emphasis during the fall season.

“Sometimes when you have a quiet, humble, good kids, when you go on the field, it’s hard to get them to get that on the field mindset of we need to be loud,” Tillman explained. “We need to be vocal. We need to be demanding. It’s really hard to switch that on-the-field personality with that off-the-field personality."

Vocal leaders have defined Maryland lacrosse for decades - from legendary goalies Brian Dougherty and Niko Amato to defenseman like Michael Ehrhardt and Matt Dunn to midfielders like Jake Bernhardt and Isaiah Davis-Allen to attackmen like Matt Rambo and Colin Heacock. The question for the Terps heading into an uncertain 2021 season, Tillman believes that developing strong voices – on the field and in the locker room – will be the key to the season.

“I think that for our group to be successful, we have to continue to be moving toward a collection of our older players needing to be more vocal more consistently,” Tillman said. “They need to be a group that’s willing to say what they need to say when it needs to be said and not be worried about, you know, ruffling feathers.”

The cancellation of the 2020 season and the atypical COVID fall season have forced programs to adapt. Tillman’s program is built on a strong culture of player commitment and accountability, and it is the socially distant nature of this fall season that has limited opportunities for Tillman and his players to nurture that culture like they normally would. Gone are the team-building social interactions. Gone are most of the opportunities for seniors to spend one-on-one time with incoming transfers or freshman to get to know the newcomers and guide their transition into the program. Gone are the volunteer and charity events that the players are renowned for leading and supporting. So far, Tillman’s challenge to empower more voices is a work-in-progress.

“Sometimes when you have relationships, you create deep-rooted relationships that can overcome guys challenging each other. Maybe demanding more from each other. It’s not a personal attack on you character. It’s not impacting your friendship, but on the field as a teammate, the demands of being a teammate are different than the demands of being a friend." he said. "A good friend tells you the truth. A good teammate won’t let you settle. I think with our guys, we need to continue to get some of our guys to a little more outgoing in their personality.”

Tillman has experimented with new team structures and a leadership council to kick start the development of more vocal players. He knows that this will be vital for a spring season that will be unpredictable due to the pandemic but also because of return of dozens of seniors across the country that opted to return for the bonus year granted to players in response to last season’s cancellation.

“I think it’s going to be unpredictable,” Tillman said of the upcoming season with regards to COVID and the extra year of eligibility for last season’s seniors across the nation.

“With all of the kids getting extra years and adding more, if the COVID thing was past us and we felt like we were out of it, I do think there are some teams that you look at like Duke that have so many guys that they returned. Now they add some guys. You kind of look and say they’re built to have a really good year. What you don’t know is what happens if, kind of like football, someone in your attack group gets it [COVID], and all of your attackmen are pulled for 3 weeks. Like, what does that mean? What if all of your face-off guys get it? You literally don’t have a face-off guy against another team. You’ll literally get crushed or potentially put yourself in a hole.”

The Terps benefitted from senior transfers Eric Holden and Griffin Brown but also benefited from the return of last year’s graduate transfer, defenseman Nick Grill. “Nick Grill has now been here a year. He’s doing a really good job,” Tillman noted.

Tillman predicts that many programs will rely upon the concentration of experience that the canceled season and bonus year provided. While the Terps brought in a freshman recruiting class that included three, five-star recruits in Eric Malever, Daniel Kelly, and Jack Koras, the experience and depth of the returning roster, the atypical fall season, and the fact that many of the freshman also missed all or large portions of their high school senior seasons and limited summer club circuit will make it more difficult than usual for freshmneto make an impact.

“We tried to manage their expectations on the way in,” Tillman explained. “[Telling the freshman] We know you all lost a lot of development. You’re not going to get that back.” “Those guys have done a really good job. It’s a focused group that’s a hard-working group. I’ve been really impressed with how those guys have handled things. We’re not going to write them off, but we wanted to manage their expectations. We knew the speed of play, what we do, picking up schemes, and all of that would be happening fast.”

With Maryland sending its students home early to finish the fall semester, more uncertainty awaits the program for the winter. Tillman can only hope that the work done in the fall and the emerging voices on the team will translate to the to-be-determined date of the start of the 2021 season. He expects to know in early January when players will be allowed back on campus, which will tie into when the B1G will start its season - rumors from other B1G schools swirl on the internet about late February games. The Terps will also know of Jared Bernhardt’s decision to return or not when the team’s start date is set.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just moved a bunch of posts. Let's keep the politics in the politics forum and the lacrosse in the lacrosse forums. and, in both forums, discuss politics, discuss lacrosse, don't discuss post-ers.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland twitter

Jared Bernhardt is 𝘽𝘼𝘾𝙆 for 1⃣ last ride at Maryland.

Jared Bernhardt to Return to Maryland
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Nice article Wheels

Who better to get Jared ready then his brothers

It also helps to have two brothers – both named to the Premier Lacrosse League’s Top 50 Players – return to Florida for the holiday season. Jake, an elite defensive midfielder for the two-time champion Whipsnakes Lacrosse Club, and Jesse, an elite cover defenseman for the Chrome Lacrosse Club and Maryland’s defensive coordinator, both worked with Jared to reacclimate him to the physical rigors of the type of one-on-one dodging in which he has excelled. He also briefly returned to Maryland during the fall – “Just a change of scenery” – to visit one his brothers and sister-in-law, but Maryland’s COVID protocols and Bernhardt’s desire to help keep his teammates safe mean that he has not seen his teammates in person since the end of the spring season.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Pour one out for the dudes who were hoping to jockey for that last attack spot.

Glad to have JB back. Gonna be one heckuva offense next year if hopefully everything can go down.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 am Nice article Wheels

Who better to get Jared ready then his brothers

It also helps to have two brothers – both named to the Premier Lacrosse League’s Top 50 Players – return to Florida for the holiday season. Jake, an elite defensive midfielder for the two-time champion Whipsnakes Lacrosse Club, and Jesse, an elite cover defenseman for the Chrome Lacrosse Club and Maryland’s defensive coordinator, both worked with Jared to reacclimate him to the physical rigors of the type of one-on-one dodging in which he has excelled. He also briefly returned to Maryland during the fall – “Just a change of scenery” – to visit one his brothers and sister-in-law, but Maryland’s COVID protocols and Bernhardt’s desire to help keep his teammates safe mean that he has not seen his teammates in person since the end of the spring season.
When he brought it up, he was pretty nonchalant about it. Like, my brothers helped me get used to the contact again and doing one-on-ones and things like that. Safe to assume Jake and Jesse will be the best covers Jared faces this year, right?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 am Pour one out for the dudes who were hoping to jockey for that last attack spot.

Glad to have JB back. Gonna be one heckuva offense next year if hopefully everything can go down.
Still think Holden runs midfield. He is so good up top and on the low wing, and he can sling it.

On that first midfield line, who gets the pole? If Bubba does, Holden or DeMaio can invert and abuse short sticks. If Maltz is the 3rd attackman in the crease, he'll probably get a short stick and teams will double pole the midfield. If Brown plays attack and feels comfortable inside, you can't put a shorty on him.

The extra man offense will be elite. With the way Brown can shoot, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him on that.

Coach Reppert is going to be a mad scientist trying to figure out the combinations. The second line of midfield will be really good. They'll probably even run a 3rd line on a regular basis.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:03 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 am Pour one out for the dudes who were hoping to jockey for that last attack spot.

Still think Holden runs midfield. He is so good up top and on the low wing, and he can sling it.

On that first midfield line, who gets the pole? If Bubba does, Holden or DeMaio can invert and abuse short sticks. If Maltz is the 3rd attackman in the crease, he'll probably get a short stick and teams will double pole the midfield. If Brown plays attack and feels comfortable inside, you can't put a shorty on him.

The extra man offense will be elite. With the way Brown can shoot, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him on that.

Coach Reppert is going to be a mad scientist trying to figure out the combinations. The second line of midfield will be really good. They'll probably even run a 3rd line on a regular basis.
They’ll probably wind up being pretty positionless once they’re in the 6-on-6 I imagine; as they have been for the last few years. But if JB was leaving there was still one spot available for a Maltz or Brennan or Long to try and snag and now the big dog is back in the picture. They’ll still get plenty of playing time; but gonna be hard for anyone to usurp that Top 6, which honestly might be the best in America.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:06 pm They’ll probably wind up being pretty positionless once they’re in the 6-on-6 I imagine; as they have been for the last few years. But if JB was leaving there was still one spot available for a Maltz or Brennan or Long to try and snag and now the big dog is back in the picture. They’ll still get plenty of playing time; but gonna be hard for anyone to usurp that Top 6, which honestly might be the best in America.
Agreed.

That offense can play at any pace. Shooters all over the place. Elite dodgers. High IQ guys. Duke has more question marks; it's just that Sowers can cover up a lot of them (like Ament did for PSU).

With Burlace joining the LSM group, you also have 3 or 4 LSMs that can push pace and 4 SSDMs that can play in transition. It reminds me of 2017.

Gotta get to 50% at the FOGO in each game. If that happens, there might not be enough possessions in a game for an opponent to outscore the Terps.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:06 pm

They’ll probably wind up being pretty positionless once they’re in the 6-on-6 I imagine; as they have been for the last few years. But if JB was leaving there was still one spot available for a Maltz or Brennan or Long to try and snag and now the big dog is back in the picture. They’ll still get plenty of playing time; but gonna be hard for anyone to usurp that Top 6, which honestly might be the best in America.
I think Duke + Sowers (best offensive player in the country last year) plus O'Neill (supposed to be a generational talent) is the clear #1 attack preseason. I wouldn't put too much expectation on Jared either, at least early in the season; it's not easy to step away for 8 months and then return to all-american form at that position. But he is a supreme athlete.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 pm

I think Duke + Sowers (best offensive player in the country last year) plus O'Neill (supposed to be a generational talent) is the clear #1 attack preseason. I wouldn't put too much expectation on Jared either, at least early in the season; it's not easy to step away for 8 months and then return to all-american form at that position. But he is a supreme athlete.
O’Neill is probably gonna run out of the box his first year.

I was also talking about the top 6, not just the attack, but even still: Sowers/Williams/J. Robertson vs Bernhardt/Wisnauskas/Holden (imo). Sowers is obviously the best player in the country but I don’t think that’s clearly better than Maryland’s group; Wisnauskas is better than Williams and Robertson vs Holden might be a push. Then add in the midfields: Montgomery/Caputo/O’Neill vs Brown/DeMaio/Fairman. I....also would probably go with Maryland’s from that if Fairman is back to his best.

And everyone has stepped away from 8 months. Yes Bernhardt didn’t participate in fall ball but he wouldn’t be the first player to not do that and have a great year. Rob Pannell tore his ACL iirc in 2012 and was Tewaaraton winner. Bernhardt will resume practicing with the team as soon as they start up again and will have a good month or so under him before the season. I don’t really see how that will be much of a problem
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:08 am

I was also talking about the top 6, not just the attack, but even still: Sowers/Williams/J. Robertson vs Bernhardt/Wisnauskas/Holden (imo). Sowers is obviously the best player in the country but I don’t think that’s clearly better than Maryland’s group; Wisnauskas is better than Williams and Robertson vs Holden might be a push. Then add in the midfields: Montgomery/Caputo/O’Neill vs Brown/DeMaio/Fairman. I....also would probably go with Maryland’s from that if Fairman is back to his best.

And everyone has stepped away from 8 months. Yes Bernhardt didn’t participate in fall ball but he wouldn’t be the first player to not do that and have a great year. Rob Pannell tore his ACL iirc in 2012 and was Tewaaraton winner. Bernhardt will resume practicing with the team as soon as they start up again and will have a good month or so under him before the season. I don’t really see how that will be much of a problem
Jared has spent the last 9 months exclusively focusing on working out. He's coming into the season in peak shape. That should scare anyone who has to cover him. He's also spent the last 3 months getting his stick skills back. His timing and all of that will come back pretty quickly. Getting him on the same page as Holden and Brown will be the area that will take time.

He's really focused on winning. He wants to go out with a title. He might defer a bit to start out, but I won't be surprised to see him take over come tournament time.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 am

Jared has spent the last 9 months exclusively focusing on working out. He's coming into the season in peak shape. That should scare anyone who has to cover him. He's also spent the last 3 months getting his stick skills back. His timing and all of that will come back pretty quickly. Getting him on the same page as Holden and Brown will be the area that will take time.

He's really focused on winning. He wants to go out with a title. He might defer a bit to start out, but I won't be surprised to see him take over come tournament time.
I’ve always said that I’m not sure he quite realizes how good he is or could be. When he turns it up to top speed and dodges, there’s no one who can keep up with him. I hope this is the year where he truly decides to grab the bull by the horns the way Rambo did the last 1.5 years or so of his career and takes it to another level. Because as tremendous a player as he is; he can be even better.
bananas

Post by bananas »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 pm

When talking top six offensive starters- 3 att and 3 mids - it's either Duke or Maryland not even factoring in their ridiculous depth. UNC and Cornell not that far behind of best starting 6 and Rutgers can now be legitimately discussed n top ten of that list with Kirst addition.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 am Maryland twitter

Jared Bernhardt is 𝘽𝘼𝘾𝙆 for 1⃣ last ride at Maryland.

Jared Bernhardt to Return to Maryland
Good news.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

They have officially added Jared to the 2021 roster

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”