Bourbon

General Chatter
holmes435

Re: Bourbon

Post by holmes435 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm Glad someone won that auction for Pappy!
The one out of the UK? I entered it too. No luck though.
On a budget, I can dig some Evan WIlliams Single Barrel or slum it with their black label. It always sits right with me.
:P
Do they still make Old Forester Birthday Bourbon? Got a bottle of that 10 years ago (as a birthday gift) and it was a treat.
Not sure about the UK one, but the Virginia ABC system does a few lotteries each year when they get various distributions in, and you can enter for free to to buy a bottle at MSRP if you're a resident. I think they had ~350 bottles in the state last year and about 35,000 entries.

They're definitely still doing the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon! but I'm not sure how much is left from this year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any Birthday Bourbon in any of my haunts or travels between Balty and VA Beach.

Yup, I entered a similar auction for Pappy:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgekout ... 86065a6dc1

No luck...

:cry:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Jim Malone wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm For special occasions I have an Old Fitzgerald 13 year 100 proof and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof.

Strictly one or two finger pour neat to enjoy with a cigar. Some like to add a few drops of water but that is all I allow in my presence.

Woodford Reserve or Blanton's is my go to when hanging out.

But for some reason I prefer Wild Turkey in my Manhattan's to the chagrin of all around me.
Tell them to buzz off. Wild Turkey makes some fine whiskey.... ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Care to educate the less educated here?
You mean you'd like a list of easier to find, but delicious whiskey?
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Absolutely!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Bart wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

Absolutely!
+100!!!
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

Absolutely!
+100!!!
Okay. But I can't help folks in VA----there's no telling what the heck they have in stock. Head to DC, and you'll find all of these, no problem.

-Evan Williams BIB
-Russell's Reserver 10 yo
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Wild Turkey 101 as underrated as it gets
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Smaller Distilleries (a relative term). Anything from New Riff Distilling. Or Bardstown Bourbon.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pmOkay. But I can't help folks in VA----there's no telling what the heck they have in stock. Head to DC, and you'll find all of these, no problem.

-Evan Williams BIB
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Smaller Distilleries (a relative term). Anything from New Riff Distilling. Or Bardstown Bourbon.
Everything on the list is easy to find in Virginia except the Early Times Bonded, which I don't think we have in state. Just the lower proof stuff. Unfortunately no New Riff or Bardstown in state either.

I dated a girl from Kentucky back in the early 2000's who got me into bourbon. She took me on a few tours around the distilleries and later on I lived there for a few years. Wish I knew then what I know now :lol:

I will say the craziest thing was going to a Kentucky Derby party at a neighbor's house (most of the locals go to the Oaks the day before). When "My Old Kentucky Home" started playing before the race, the whole place went quiet, everyone stood up and started singing. Was so strange to see but a fun tradition. I nearly drowned in Mint Juleps.
a fan

Post by a fan »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I will say the craziest thing was going to a Kentucky Derby party at a neighbor's house (most of the locals go to the Oaks the day before). When "My Old Kentucky Home" started playing before the race, the whole place went quiet, everyone stood up and started singing. Was so strange to see but a fun tradition. I nearly drowned in Mint Juleps.
It's a wonderful part of our country. Great people. Great food. I look forward to trips to Louisville with relish!
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

Absolutely!
+100!!!
Okay. But I can't help folks in VA----there's no telling what the heck they have in stock. Head to DC, and you'll find all of these, no problem.

-Evan Williams BIB
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Thanks much. We'll see what turns up here in Upstate
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bart wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:29 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

Absolutely!
+100!!!

-Evan Williams BIB
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Thanks much. We'll see what turns up here in Upstate
Thanks afan!

I keep the EW BIB and WT101 in rotation. OGD 114 is a staple, not listed...works well if you wanna make GW4G (Grandpa Weller Four Grain) I would add I just purchased a bottle of Henry McKenna Sour Mash for $9.99, just to give it try.....its the same mashbill as Elijah Craig and EW out of Heavenly Hill....its a 4 year (I believe)....great for a daily sipper or if friends want to mix it with coke.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Just watched the Van Winkle bit. While everything Julian said is true, they left out a lot. Julian did buy an old distillery, but never distilled anything, He did install a small bottling line though where he bottled what ever barrels he could find. He sourced barrels from old stocks including from the old Stitzel Weller distillery. These Stitzel Weller VW bottles go for between $1,000 and up on the secondary market. They are long gone from stores.

When Sazerac (Buffalo Trace) purchased Weller from Diageo in 99, Julian's supply of wheated bourbon dried up. BT had stopped selling bulk bourbon to other bottlers. BT offered Julian a joint venture so the VW line continues. BT does all distilling, warehousing, bottling and distribution.

20 or so years ago there were only a few wheated bourbons. (wheat is used instead of rye in the mashbill) Weller, Van Winkle, Old Fitz, Rebel Yell and of course Makers Mark.

The Kentucky bourbon business is fascinating. There were over 200 bourbon distilleries in KY at one time. Most were forced to close for prohibition, some were destroyed by fire. Lots of craft distilleries popping up now. It will be interesting to see how can many make it work.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm

It's a wonderful part of our country. Great people. Great food. I look forward to trips to Louisville with relish!
Sneaky underrated town. The fourth street area can be fun, slugger museum by river is cool and that highlands neighborhood near Bellarmine is cool (Jack Frys is a great restaurant).

Funny odd tidbit, I did business with a Louisville based ba k called Stockyards B&T and some of the bank scenes in Spike Lees Inside Man were filmed in their vaults.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:33 am
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Sneaky underrated town. The fourth street area can be fun, slugger museum by river is cool and that highlands neighborhood near Bellarmine is cool (Jack Frys is a great restaurant).
My fellow distillers ALWAYS head to Jack Fry every single time we're in town. It's the one thing we HAVE to do.

So good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Me too. Been there around 5-6 times. There’s a great family style weekend brunch Buffett just down the street in a White House structure but can’t recall the name.

Frys has this app, goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. I could eat those like pac man every time.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm Me too. Been there around 5-6 times. There’s a great family style weekend brunch Buffett just down the street in a White House structure but can’t recall the name.

Frys has this app, goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. I could eat those like pac man every time.
That does sound good, love the pac man reference.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Bart

Post by Bart »

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

Absolutely!
+100!!!

-Evan Williams BIB
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Went with Old Grandad Bonded and Wild Turkey as a start to the list. Looking forward to trying it all out.
Thanks
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm Frys has this app, goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. I could eat those like pac man every time.
Yeah, that's the one. And a big, rare-as-hell steak.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just cracked my first bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. Some tasty nectar. After perusing their website it seems they have about 10 variations of the small batch based on yeast variations. Must be a tough time on the distillery floor keeping track of all those variation; surely they have MOP’s for keeping it in check.

The nice thing....it’s not allocated and is regularly stocked and marked up.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting read here...not unique to bourbon, but whiskey in general: https://daily.sevenfifty.com/all-japane ... ted-equal/

~ “With Japanese whisky there is no legal definition except as regulated by tax law,”
~ “We continue to see new brands from Japan and when you look up their address, it’s a WeWork office in Osaka rather than a distillery,” says Eliot. “There’s a geeky community that gets it but for the most part, most average consumers don’t. ”
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”