Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sholokov2

Syracuse 2019

Post by sholokov2 »

thought I might drag some of the SU old-timers onto this forum to start from where we left off at Laxpower. I would like to see fan lax create an up to date recruiting, in season scores, media coverage data base like the ones on Laxpower. I have not yet explored fanlax thoroughly enough to know the available resources. Let's continue our year's long muck raking here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by admin »

What do you mean by "media coverage data base"?
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

I mean an up to date detailed schedule of spring games on TV or streaming live. ESPNU, 1,2, or 3; CBSsports, Fox or F! sports. Often, schedules change at the last minute or on the last day before a game. Thanks for your interest. You may already do this. I haven't explored as much as I should.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Haven't done it yet (because it's September) but very doable (including in September). :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PS Gotta bring this back to SU. I'm very curious how SU will look this Spring (or Fall). Every season i feel like their on the cusp of imploding... and then some kid from FL carries the team, etc. Curious.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:PS Gotta bring this back to SU. I'm very curious how SU will look this Spring (or Fall). Every season i feel like their on the cusp of imploding... and then some kid from FL carries the team, etc. Curious.
I think a lot of goes back to recruiting failures. The class that started at SU fall 2013/spring 2014 came in with big hype and really failed to deliver. Only part of it is on Evans. Forkin couldn't stay on the roster, Dylan Maltz transferred, Nick Weston was hyped in recruiting for some reason I could never figure out, Parker Ferrigan didn't stay at SU. Firman was solid all four years. The class after this one didn't have a lot of talent. Those guys are now redshirt seniors. The following classes had more talent, but have they found a guy who can quarterback the offense? We'll see.
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

I feel like this recruiting class has a lot of talent to continue to make a push from last year's class. I think Cook is someone to keep an eye on. The Kim twins have the size and a good pedigree (they remind me personally of Steve Brooks). Berkman has the Dordevic/Salcido next level athleticism. Magnan is mostly a ystery to me beyond the UA game, but obviously can potentially play a part as well.

I'm very excited to see how they can contribute early for the Orange!
dense

Post by dense »

ohmilax34 wrote:
admin wrote:PS Gotta bring this back to SU. I'm very curious how SU will look this Spring (or Fall). Every season i feel like their on the cusp of imploding... and then some kid from FL carries the team, etc. Curious.
I think a lot of goes back to recruiting failures. The class that started at SU fall 2013/spring 2014 came in with big hype and really failed to deliver. Only part of it is on Evans. Forkin couldn't stay on the roster, Dylan Maltz transferred, Nick Weston was hyped in recruiting for some reason I could never figure out, Parker Ferrigan didn't stay at SU. Firman was solid all four years. The class after this one didn't have a lot of talent. Those guys are now redshirt seniors. The following classes had more talent, but have they found a guy who can quarterback the offense? We'll see.
Their roster is bloated but when whittled down they now have good talent at most positions with decent depth. Their staff responded to those poor classes by undertaking a transition and playing many youngsters with some emerging to the forefront. Given that playing experience, one can reasonably expect that young core to progress.Refhuss is closest thing to a qb but their offense is mostly about the collective talent than any one individual. They could be a very competitive team if their fogo and goalie ever push near 55%. Tough to envision 18 class factoring as much last year . Probably see touted 17's Seebold and Quinn having roles in rotation after a year of development while frosh such as Cook and Magnan are slowly introduced as season progresses.
DanteAmore

Post by DanteAmore »

https://cuse.com/news/2018/9/5/mens-lac ... omers.aspx

Anyone know what happened to Jacob Walthour?

Does he still have work to do in the classroom, or did he flip?
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Guys officially started fall ball today with their annual run test. Looks like they're having morning practices instead of in the afternoon, which they've done for the past handful of years. That'll be a change that might need some adjustment but it might be good considering school work the guys might have.

Also, I'm not totally sure about Walthour. He lists SU in his LinkedIn bio as a current student, but there's no record of him in SU's online directory.
118:24 #HHH
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Alumni game set for early next month (October 6). Doing an alumni vs. alumni game first, which is what they did last year with the mumps outbreak, followed by an intra-squad scrimmage.

https://cuse.com/news/2018/9/11/mens-la ... oct-6.aspx

Have heard the team's participating in the HEADStrong Philly event at Penn again. Have heard Delaware as one opponent, don't know the other. Robert Morris, Penn, and Lafayette are also there. Would like to see them against Bobby Mo to be honest.
118:24 #HHH
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

Anyone hear any updates on Fall Ball? Any of the freshman looking good?
DMac

Post by DMac »

GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

That's never great to see, hopefully all is well!

I would hate to see another Mellen situation :?
DMac

Post by DMac »

GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

Cook and at least one of the Kim bros are going to make an impact this spring. You can take my word for it! The Kim bros built like Rabil out there as Freshman... :shock:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Buttermore is another one with potential, think that kid is better than most people have recognized to date.
Will take your word for those guys' potential, hope you're right. D1 lax is a whole new world, playing against some pretty stiff competition, all HS superstars. Time will tell.
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

I think the better twin has the upside of Steven Brooks if he models his game after him, but cook I think will be the next Kevin Rice. I had the opportunity to recruit the kid and after seeing him multiple time, he passes the next level eye test.

We will see how it all plays out! At the least we have a stacked squad coming back, and you have to love that first midfield line of Trimboli, Curry, and Dordevic
DMac

Post by DMac »

Checked those Kim boys out a little bit. Nice sized boys, a couple of stout looking fellows. Think they've got a bit too much of a wind up and taking a bit too long on their shot from out front, gonna have to tighten that up and get it off a little quicker, I think. Nit picking, I know, but those things make a difference at the next level. Really gotta like the potential there though.

A little tip for my fellow Cuse lax fans planning on heading to the Dome and doing a little tailgating this Spring, leave your cigars (all tobacco) at home. Got a third hand story the other day, thought I'd check it out for myself to see if it could be true. Guy was tailgating and smoking a cigar before a football game when a security guy came up to him and told him he had to put it out. Tobacco free environment at Cuse, ya know. Called the Dome myself, spoke with a nice and helpful young fellow. He checked with a couple of the big shots there and let me know that, yes, that is indeed the policy. Not much room for a situation like that to escalate into an ugly little affair, eh? Few beers and some jerk (he's just doing his job) telling you you can't smoke your cigar outside in a parking lot??? What the heck????? There's a lot of bitching about attendance in the Dome (minus hoops), but really, should it come as any surprise that people don't want to go? Think that's the final straw for me. Really don't like being treated like a parolee/criminal/suspect when I go there to begin with, I've done nothing that warrants that kind of treatment. Go buy your clear $3 suspect bag (which you can put your THC oil vape pen in and get through), don't bring a little mini purse, can't get in with that (spoke with a girl who was absolutely furious about that...took one to a game and was turned away...had her make up and girly stuff in it, she'll never go back), no stepping out at half time...well, if you want to get back in, anyway. You can probably count the number of home games I've missed over the past 3+ decades on one hand and I've never seen as much as a scuffle in the Dome or caused any kind of problem in there. If everyone else is willing to put up with this kind of treatment, so be it, but I'm not. My favorite little watering hole has become more appealing than ever...little sweetie hottie in a sun dress (no one wears one better than Nikki), much cheaper beer, can step out and come back in, smoke a cigar on the deck, etc. There's nothing enticing about that Dome...not to me anyway. Big screen TV in the bar wins hands down. Is there really any wonder why the attendance is down??
dense

Post by dense »

DMac wrote:Checked those Kim boys out a little bit. Nice sized boys, a couple of stout looking fellows. Think they've got a bit too much of a wind up and taking a bit too long on their shot from out front, gonna have to tighten that up and get it off a little quicker, I think. Nit picking, I know, but those things make a difference at the next level. Really gotta like the potential there though.

A little tip for my fellow Cuse lax fans planning on heading to the Dome and doing a little tailgating this Spring, leave your cigars (all tobacco) at home. Got a third hand story the other day, thought I'd check it out for myself to see if it could be true. Guy was tailgating and smoking a cigar before a football game when a security guy came up to him and told him he had to put it out. Tobacco free environment at Cuse, ya know. Called the Dome myself, spoke with a nice and helpful young fellow. He checked with a couple of the big shots there and let me know that, yes, that is indeed the policy. Not much room for a situation like that to escalate into an ugly little affair, eh? Few beers and some jerk (he's just doing his job) telling you you can't smoke your cigar outside in a parking lot??? What the heck????? There's a lot of bitching about attendance in the Dome (minus hoops), but really, should it come as any surprise that people don't want to go? Think that's the final straw for me. Really don't like being treated like a parolee/criminal/suspect when I go there to begin with, I've done nothing that warrants that kind of treatment. Go buy your clear $3 suspect bag (which you can put your THC oil vape pen in and get through), don't bring a little mini purse, can't get in with that (spoke with a girl who was absolutely furious about that...took one to a game and was turned away...had her make up and girly stuff in it, she'll never go back), no stepping out at half time...well, if you want to get back in, anyway. You can probably count the number of home games I've missed over the past 3+ decades on one hand and I've never seen as much as a scuffle in the Dome or caused any kind of problem in there. If everyone else is willing to put up with this kind of treatment, so be it, but I'm not. My favorite little watering hole has become more appealing than ever...little sweetie hottie in a sun dress (no one wears one better than Nikki), much cheaper beer, can step out and come back in, smoke a cigar on the deck, etc. There's nothing enticing about that Dome...not to me anyway. Big screen TV in the bar wins hands down. Is there really any wonder why the attendance is down??
Dmac Cigar ban outside is moronic but watching lax is more enjoyable in person so my belief is you'll return with clear bag in hand if they return to winning ways which I believe is doable. Roster is strengthening as several good young talents from 16-17 recruiting classes are still ascending . The few seasoned srs on the roster are all productive .
Outside fresh att Cook likely being in 4 man rotation upfront, difficult to see where 18' class factors immediately given the good young core in pace and readiness of some other sophs . My guess is a few would be gradually introduced as season progresses as in most years. Last year was an anomaly in many ways, greater employment that usual with a few emerging to forefront.

Key to season will be fogo and goalie play. If both are improved then a return to double digit wins is likely and my sense is you will be watching up close with a overpriced beer in hand

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”