Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by DocBarrister »

suffolk wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 pm @AlbertBreer

Objectively now, we have data from nearly 3 weeks of padded practices in the NFL, a month of camp at some colleges, and games starting in HS and college ... is there any evidence the sport is the super-spreader of COVID-19 some are positioning it to be?

Doesn't seem that way.
Well, possibly. Notre Dame brags about its 1% Covid-19 positivity rate. Sounds low, but then you note that 11 players, probably about 10% of the entire squad, has already tested positive and gone into quarantine. It’s still two weeks until kickoff of the season. How will things go after the season starts if 10% of the team has already been infected with Covid-19?

Notre Dame and other colleges are playing with matches around a gasoline can.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ten new COVID-19 cases since last Friday at Kansas State.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 90885.html

What would ten new COVID-19 cases in three days do to a college lacrosse team?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Doc,

I get it. I am skeptical myself, although I really feel this has gotten political. People (including many in the media) hate Trump so much they want everything to fail. Residential life is the difficult part. I feel if schools send their students home and are virtual, yet keep their athletic team on campus there is a better shot. My son plays at a D1 school that is currently in session and he told me he and his teammates feel it is a matter of time before they are sent home. The B10 is already coming up with slogans for a bubble.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

suffolk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:11 am Doc,

I get it. I am skeptical myself, although I really feel this has gotten political. People (including many in the media) hate Trump so much they want everything to fail. Residential life is the difficult part. I feel if schools send their students home and are virtual, yet keep their athletic team on campus there is a better shot. My son plays at a D1 school that is currently in session and he told me he and his teammates feel it is a matter of time before they are sent home. The B10 is already coming up with slogans for a bubble.
I hardly want college football to fail. I follow Notre Dame in college football, have done so for over 30 years. Was very optimistic about this season for the Fighting Irish ... thought they were top ten and could have made the CFP with their new ACC schedule.

But ND, the ACC, Big 12, and SEC blew it when they stood their ground instead of retreating to the Spring.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Notre Dame messes up when they bounced George O’Leary and haven’t been the same since. Best coach they’ve had since Lou Holtz and Brian Kelley is simply a weak derivative of O’Leary.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:19 am Notre Dame messes up when they bounced George O’Leary and haven’t been the same since. Best coach they’ve had since Lou Holtz and Brian Kelley is simply a weak derivative of O’Leary.
Yep. Notre Dame messed up the vetting. O’Leary lied on his resume.

Notre Dame AD should have been fired immediately, too.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OLeary lied, but also had proven his football coaching acumen enough that a probation could’ve easily been merited given the nature of the lie and the reality of major college football. I struggle to see where having a masters degree is so necessary to coach football. Ultmately OLeary built the UCF program to a a** whooping of Auburn with a one handed kid as a star defensive player and got Scott Frost a mega contract that Nebraska already regrets.

Was the AD Joe Alleva, same guy who did wonders at Duke?
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:26 am Was the AD Joe Alleva, same guy who did wonders at Duke?
The ND AD was Kevin White- who left ND for Duke when Alleva left Duke for LSU after the debacle
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

If the past week or two are any indication then I am not optimistic. Colleges in Pa have gone back with limited success keeping things in control and some of them have reversed course. At the local level high school they tried to proceed with a season only to recently cancel the season. I have read or heard that kids were testing positive across different teams.

The Vaccine maybe the only answer
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:24 am

I hardly want college football to fail. I follow Notre Dame in college football, have done so for over 30 years. Was very optimistic about this season for the Fighting Irish ... thought they were top ten and could have made the CFP with their new ACC schedule.

But ND, the ACC, Big 12, and SEC blew it when they stood their ground instead of retreating to the Spring.

DocBarrister
B10 Head feels it is too dangerous to play football in the Fall yet his son plays for Miss State and will be competing this Fall. So his league is more important than his son's health? Sources close to the situation that there was clearly not a vote, but a discussion where Warren convinced others and railroaded his decision to postpone the season. Science based or politically based...you decide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

backerzone wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:39 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:26 am Was the AD Joe Alleva, same guy who did wonders at Duke?
The ND AD was Kevin White- who left ND for Duke when Alleva left Duke for LSU after the debacle
Got it thanks. Had read the Pressler ghost written book a long time ago and recalled a ND-Duke AD connection
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thor1 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:24 am

DocBarrister
B10 Head feels it is too dangerous to play football in the Fall yet his son plays for Miss State and will be competing this Fall. So his league is more important than his son's health? Sources close to the situation that there was clearly not a vote, but a discussion where Warren convinced others and railroaded his decision to postpone the season. Science based or politically based...you decide
Son can make his own decisions at that point. The two don’t have to be tied the way you are suggesting with the false conclusion above about the league being more important than his sons health.

Is that your source, or a Twitter “sources say” which is the equivalent of “I heard that girl let Bobby feel her up in the jungle gym...”
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

palaxoff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:43 am If the past week or two are any indication then I am not optimistic. Colleges in Pa have gone back with limited success keeping things in control and some of them have reversed course. At the local level high school they tried to proceed with a season only to recently cancel the season. I have read or heard that kids were testing positive across different teams.

Don't get your hopes up. 40% of the people say they will not take any vaccine, including a Covid vaccine. And we have had a flu vaccine for years, and it certainly hasn't put much of a dent in the number of cases.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Plead Socratic Ignorance

Local fields have numerous sporting events such as youth baseball games being played and several summer lacrosse tournaments have been held . Not seeing or hearing any major concerns about health and legal liabilities . Many parents signing off wanting their kids to get back to elementary and secondary school. People riding buses and trains and reopening of indoor eating albeit all with spacing restrictions.

Meanwhile colleges sports are taking measures and will be doing extensive testing unlike those sport gatherings for youngsters. If well executed ,should be able to limit and contain spread especially if the college athlete is disciplined off field .

Also expect athletes to be tested more extensively than usual for any underlying health issues ( see Henisburg) beyond covid since that along with getting virus is riskiest to this age group .

Was doubtful about 21' season but becoming more optimistic that it can be played though likely without spectators. Fall will tell
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

stupefied wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:14 am Plead Socratic Ignorance

Local fields have numerous sporting events such as youth baseball games being played and several summer lacrosse tournaments have been held . Not seeing or hearing any major concerns about health and legal liabilities . Many parents signing off wanting their kids to get back to elementary and secondary school. People riding buses and trains and reopening of indoor eating albeit all with spacing restrictions.

Meanwhile colleges sports are taking measures and will be doing extensive testing unlike those sport gatherings for youngsters. If well executed ,should be able to limit and contain spread especially if the college athlete is disciplined off field .

Also expect athletes to be tested more extensively than usual for any underlying health issues ( see Henisburg) beyond covid since that along with getting virus is riskiest to this age group .

Was doubtful about 21' season but becoming more optimistic that it can be played though likely without spectators. Fall will tell
fingers crossed 🤞
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

ProudPapa wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 am
palaxoff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:43 am If the past week or two are any indication then I am not optimistic. Colleges in Pa have gone back with limited success keeping things in control and some of them have reversed course. At the local level high school they tried to proceed with a season only to recently cancel the season. I have read or heard that kids were testing positive across different teams.

Don't get your hopes up. 40% of the people say they will not take any vaccine, including a Covid vaccine. And we have had a flu vaccine for years, and it certainly hasn't put much of a dent in the number of cases.
https://www.contagionlive.com/news/how- ... 0-flu-shot

A decent dent!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
richlax5

Post by richlax5 »

While I know this is indoors and most summer lax events are outdoors but this was interesting to read about a few weeks back. https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-ho ... story.html
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 pm As an anecdotal, and I am not a scientist, Dr., etc. In 1998, I was a USMCR with Weapons Company 25th Marines after 5.5 yrs in the tip of the spear with 1st Bn., 6th Marines 2MARDIV. Back then as a general rule, I never went to the doctor (my old sawbones dad was good enough). In the summer between my IL and 2L years at law school, I had the most ridiculous case of something (maybe narcolepsy (if that is a thing)). No energy, just wanted to nap, which I did all the time. It was brutal. I worried that I had Lyme, AIDs (had been to Olongapo City in 88), Cancer, Malaria, I literally just wanted to lay in bed and sleep forever. It lasted for a month or two. No f'n clue what was the cause (29 Palms water maybe), but I had something. Was really worried about my prospects for 2L. But I got over that just as fall semester started and I was good to go. Who the f' knows. All these Covid novel theories about permanent impacts on health, like Doc B sprouts, he has no clue.
Unknown,

This is a great post, thanks for the personal insight. These theories about permanent impacts on health, are just theories for now. It's the hyperfocus on this virus from the MSM that has unfortunately changed the way certain people accept the information that is disseminated.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 pm As an anecdotal, and I am not a scientist, Dr., etc. In 1998, I was a USMCR with Weapons Company 25th Marines after 5.5 yrs in the tip of the spear with 1st Bn., 6th Marines 2MARDIV. Back then as a general rule, I never went to the doctor (my old sawbones dad was good enough). In the summer between my IL and 2L years at law school, I had the most ridiculous case of something (maybe narcolepsy (if that is a thing)). No energy, just wanted to nap, which I did all the time. It was brutal. I worried that I had Lyme, AIDs (had been to Olongapo City in 88), Cancer, Malaria, I literally just wanted to lay in bed and sleep forever. It lasted for a month or two. No f'n clue what was the cause (29 Palms water maybe), but I had something. Was really worried about my prospects for 2L. But I got over that just as fall semester started and I was good to go. Who the f' knows. All these Covid novel theories about permanent impacts on health, like Doc B sprouts, he has no clue.
Unknown,

This is a great post, thanks for the personal insight. These theories about permanent impacts on health, are just theories for now. It's the hyperfocus on this virus from the MSM that has unfortunately changed the way certain people accept the information that is disseminated.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
The dangerous, ignorant misinformation here really needs to stop.

COVID-19 can permanently injure the lungs in some patients.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... -the-lungs

Other COVID-19 patients have experienced cardiovascular complications like stroke.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... 1599044905

Of course, there is nothing more permanent than death, and nearly 190,000 have died from COVID-19.

You two should be banned for your dangerously ignorant and misinformed posts. I know the Administrator is reluctant to do that, but a warning should at least be in order here.

There is nothing more dangerous than misinformation in a pandemic.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”