Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
6ftstick

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by 6ftstick »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 am Well spoken and accusatory from the guy who convicted all those "white Kids" on the Duke lacrosse team. That reflected so well on the lacrosse community
That's a lie. I remember that time very well. Doc didn't accuse the players. While most screamed "Not guilty", he consistently said, Let the judicial system play out. Which frustrated some people.
Since the Duke Lax reference was completely deleted I think we can assume you owe me an apology.

But folks labeling me a racist are still up.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm I am looking outside my window now. It’s nice.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/blac ... to-go/amp/

Stop watching TV and go meet some people.

“Progress is the largely suppressed story of race and race relations over the past half-century. And thus it’s news that more than 40 percent of African Americans now consider themselves members of the middle class. Forty-two percent own their own homes, a figure that rises to 75 percent if we look just at black married couples. Black two-parent families earn only 13 percent less than those who are white. Almost a third of the black population lives in suburbia.”
Love reading articles form Brookings, Cato, and Carnegie....thanks for that. This part of the article is what really gets the heart of the issue.

The Widening Skills Gap

Why is there such a glaring racial gap in levels of educational attainment? It is not easy to say. The gap, in itself, is very bad news, but even more alarming is the fact that it has been widening in recent years. In 1971, the average African-American 17-year-old could read no better than the typical white child who was six years younger. The racial gap in math in 1973 was 4.3 years; in science it was 4.7 years in 1970. By the late 1980s, however, the picture was notably brighter. Black students in their final year of high school were only 2.5 years behind whites in both reading and math and 2.1 years behind on tests of writing skills.

Had the trends of those years continued, by today black pupils would be performing about as well as their white classmates. Instead, black progress came to a halt, and serious backsliding began. Between 1988 and 1994, the racial gap in reading grew from 2.5 to 3.9 years; between 1990 and 1994, the racial gap in math increased from 2.5 to 3.4 years. In both science and writing, the racial gap has widened by a full year.

There is no obvious explanation for this alarming turnaround.

He then goes on to dissuade us from believing family life matters with a short argument....

The huge rise in out-of-wedlock births and the steep and steady decline in the proportion of black children growing up with two parents do not explain the fluctuating educational performance of African-American children. It is well established that children raised in single-parent families do less well in school than others, even when all other variables, including income, are controlled. But the disintegration of the black nuclear family—presciently noted by Daniel Patrick Moynihan as early as 1965—was occurring rapidly in the period in which black scores were rising, so it cannot be invoked as the main explanation as to why scores began to fall many years later

So what is the fix? Or is it the way stats are being measured? Maybe we really do not have an issue, per say, but we need the issue for God knows what reason. As noted earlier. In Howard County, it has shown the Black enrollment in AP courses has shown no decline test scores, rather an increase above state standards.
… maybe we should ask C&S. He did such a great job answering the last current events question he was asked. Really knocked it out of the park. :lol:
The biggest impediment to black Americans moving forward 72 is they have obstacles like you to overcome. They have to deal with life on lifes terms and overcome the love and compassion of all you berkley burnouts from the 60s. I believe that black Americans should be scared to death of every pasty faced cranky old liberal white dude that just wants to help them. Maybe you should just put a lawn chair in your back yard and watch your trees grow. :lol:
Sadly, trying to move the needle forward is a futile process....it seems to be nothing but rhetoric. Neither side seems to understand what heeling truly means. Oh, they each know what they need to do, but won't.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 am Well spoken and accusatory from the guy who convicted all those "white Kids" on the Duke lacrosse team. That reflected so well on the lacrosse community
That's a lie. I remember that time very well. Doc didn't accuse the players. While most screamed "Not guilty", he consistently said, Let the judicial system play out. Which frustrated some people.
Since the Duke Lax reference was completely deleted I think we can assume you owe me an apology.

But folks labeling me a racist are still up.
You're not a racist, not at all. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… all the Minions are here this morning. Good morning guys!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 am … all the Minions are here this morning. Good morning guys!
You bring the baby back ribs? :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 am … all the Minions are here this morning. Good morning guys!
… sorry. Decided to stop by the police station this morning instead, got some donuts.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Present!

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Whoopsie

https://www.newsweek.com/81-black-ameri ... mJNd1l5eVY

A majority of Black Americans have said they want police presence in their area to either remain the same or increase, despite recent protests over police brutality, according to new polls.

A Gallup poll conducted from June 23 to July 6 surveying more than 36,000 U.S. adults found that 61 percent of Black Americans said they'd like police to spend the same amount of time in their community, while 20 percent answered they'd like to see more police, totaling 81 percent. Just 19 percent of those polled said they wanted police to spend less time in their area.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:07 am Whoopsie

A majority of Black Americans have said they want police presence in their area to either remain the same or increase, despite recent protests over police brutality, according to new polls.

A Gallup poll conducted from June 23 to July 6 surveying more than 36,000 U.S. adults found that 61 percent of Black Americans said they'd like police to spend the same amount of time in their community, while 20 percent answered they'd like to see more police, totaling 81 percent. Just 19 percent of those polled said they wanted police to spend less time in their area.
Have you polled your black friends yet?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 am

Why would 6 need to do that; only the libs here claim to speak for blacks. I'd ask you if you have polled your black friends, but generally libs have no black friends to begin with and further don't care what they say anyway, so there's no point asking.

Next.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:25 am

Why would 6 need to do that; only the libs here claim to speak for blacks. I'd ask you if you have polled your black friends, but generally libs have no black friends to begin with and further don't care what they say anyway, so there's no point asking.

Next.
Because the libs are wrong? Have you polled all of yours?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:33 am

Next.

I have so many questions. Let the board know how many black employees you've mentored in your life, TLD. We'd be fascinated to hear. How many black people do you count as actual friends? How many have you had to your house? How many work with you? Please, waiting with bated breath!
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 am

Next.

I have so many questions. Let the board know how many black employees you've mentored in your life, TLD. We'd be fascinated to hear. How many black people do you count as actual friends? How many have you had to your house? How many work with you? Please, waiting with bated breath!
Well one just went to Booz Allen in DC.....I found out last month. He will do IT Consulting...he has TS clearance....another mentee was recently part of a team lift to PE lending shop. He was promoted to MD. I am on his reference list. He worked for me years ago. He’s done well....I have a long list. One, female, ran digital marketing for Miller Coors and went to a start up to get some upside in Chicago...

What have you done personally?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Welcome to the party pal.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:39 am
… sorry. Decided to stop by the police station this morning instead, got some donuts.
I'm sure 72 picked up some 2 day old frycakes he snagged from the dumpster in back of the donut shop. :mrgreen:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 am

Next.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are a hoot! You really have no idea how dumb this question is. :lol: :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am
I'm sure 72 picked up some 2 day old frycakes he snagged from the dumpster in back of the donut shop. :mrgreen:
… been meaning to ask you, did you ever get called back to work?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am
Nope, I took the severance package. I am now taking care of my wife while she recovers from her hip replacement.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am
Nope, I took the severance package. I am now taking care of my wife while she recovers from her hip replacement.
… sorry to here it. How is the wife doing?

Return to “POLITICS”