salisbury question

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Surfs_Up

salisbury question

Post by Surfs_Up »

ANyone have the good - bad of going to Salisbury to play lacrosse?

Am told they bring a lot of guys in and cut quite a bit. true?
Switzerland

Re: salisbury question

Post by Switzerland »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 pm ANyone have the good - bad of going to Salisbury to play lacrosse?

Oh, honey...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Salisbury, like any premier lacrosse school is more competitive than the weaker programs. But this seems pretty self evident...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
midwestlaxdad

Post by midwestlaxdad »

Wait till this guy finds out about Tampa
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

midwestlaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm Wait till this guy finds out about Tampa
:lol: Shout out to the JV, keep grinding boys.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 pm ANyone have the good - bad of going to Salisbury to play lacrosse?

You really don’t have to worry about “going to Salisbury to play lacrosse“ unless/until they ask you to come there and play lacrosse for them, in which case Coach Berkman will have a very frank conversation with the athlete and his parents. They do not give out any participation trophies ...
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Switzerland wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:21 am

Oh, honey...
+1
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A lot of guys returning for their NCAA granted fifth years and they seemed to do well with the Furman fallout, but it’s Salisbury and everyone who goes there knows they’ll have to fight like hell for their spot. It’s what has made them THE dominant DIII program of the last 25 years. The iron sharpens the iron and the strong survive.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

that's pretty much what I heard. It's a meat grinder is what a former player told me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm
midwestlaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm Wait till this guy finds out about Tampa
Yes but with all due respect to Salisbury, it ain’t Tampa in terms of location.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm
Yes but with all due respect to Salisbury, it ain’t Tampa in terms of location.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Surfs_Up wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 am that's pretty much what I heard. It's a meat grinder is what a former player told me.
Not sure I'd call it a meat grinder - players are treated extremely well (and "appropriately") by Coach Berkman and the staff, and they are able to challenge themselves by competing amongst the very best lacrosse competition in D3 day-in, day-out. Quite rewarding for those who see it through. And every class Coach Berkman has recruited for 29 years has walked away with at least one NCAA Championship ring - helluva recruiting pitch.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm And every class Coach Berkman has recruited for 29 years has walked away with at least one NCAA Championship ring - helluva recruiting pitch.
That's pretty amazing.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Had to chime in here. It was by far the most competitive environment I have ever been a part of. Some of the practices were more challenging and competitive than some of the games we played. I remember the first day of fall ball and we had drills and scrimmages taking up the entire turf field and the grass football practice fields behind the stadium. Those "try-outs" included incoming freshman, transfers, and all returning players. If I had to guess... I would feel confident saying there were more than 100 guys there. As mentioned previously, Coach has no problem with telling you that you are expected to come ready to play, and that is not just for the freshman and newcomers.

During my time there, I saw a kid with 2 rings get cut because he didn't put in his time over the summer and after fall ball. It also became somewhat comical to see some of the D1 transfers wearing their helmets/gear (Ohio State, Butler, etc.) during tryouts and us knowing they weren't going to be on that spring roster. Meaning, he didn't care where you came from or who you played for, you are here now. As a public school kid from a historically weak lacrosse program, I enjoyed that because I knew I was on a level playing field. If I wasn't getting the time, that was on me and I spent more time outside of those 3-5pm practice hours (EDGE). To this day I can distinctly recall the sounds of 50+ guys hitting the wall on the 2nd floor of Maggs gym either before or after practice. The older guys knew when to do it because Coach would get his am workout in the room across for that auxiliary gym :lol:

So to answer your question, there are cuts. However, I'm not sure I would want to be part of a program that keeps everyone. I've been around other programs and have helped in a variety of ways and even at the collegiate level in D3, there are some guys there that are happy to just wear a jersey. That is not at Salisbury. If you are there to "wear a jersey" you won't be wearing one next year.... As a reward for your hard work... you have a really good chance to leave the shore with some jewelry.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Thanks ShoreThingMD

Great post.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”