Coach Carousel 2020

D2 Mens Lacrosse
StuckinD2

Coach Carousel 2020

Post by StuckinD2 »

Just out of curiosity has anyone heard anything about the three open position?

Huntsville
Young Harris
D’Youville

Most other jobs in D1 and D3 have been filled. With early start dates for most colleges I haven’t heard much on the three D2 openings... Have they started interviews? Are offers out waiting on acceptance? Curious to hear if anyone’s heard from people around the programs!
LacrosseFan33

Re: Coach Carousel 2020

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Hearing that D'Youville has concluded their search.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I heard the same thing. It’ll be interesting to see who they hired, any ideas? I’ve hears Young Harris has begun to reach out to applicants as well. Looks like they’re looking to get someone in place quickly. Has anyone heard anything about Huntsville? Doesn’t seem like they’ve made any moves or announcements yet.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

heard Huntsville is conducting interviews, but not sure how many or where they are at in the process.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

The D'Youville job is interesting, I would guess a lot depends on the part time/full time status. If it's a longer term part time to full time I would have to think local coaches would be in the running:

Carbery @ Hilbert (D3) - Been in the Buffalo area for a long time, played at Canisius, coached at Medaille, now at Hilbert. Also coaches with Buffalo Lacrosse Academy

Dave or Derek Hoover (JUCO) - Dave has been head coach at GCC since June 2006 and has clearly done a great job, if i'm not mistaken he commutes from North of Buffalo so D'Youville could be an attractive option. Derek has coached at GCC for 13 years.

Patrone @ Medaille (D3) - Originally from Buffalo, took over a sorry Medaille team in late 2017. Based on social media he's recruited a big class. Also coaches with Bison Lacrosse

Schunke - Started the Hilbert program and was recently assistant at St Bonaventure. Also coaches with Always Sunny Buffalo.

If they go the high school route Scott More from East Aurora has done a great job building that program, a couple D1 commits over the last few years.

If the job is planning on going Full Time quickly then:

Mitch Shafer @ Maryville (D2) - Originally from Buffalo, played at Lake Erie, had to be the youngest head coach in NCAA D2 lacrosse when he took over Maryville. Brings in talent every year, a lot from the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse regions (and Canada).

I would assume that you could look at nearly any D2 assistant, especially with the talented local (ish) programs like Mercyhurst, LeMoyne, Lake Erie (On the rise again, great job recruiting the last two classes).

I'm sure i'm missing some but this is just off the top of my head
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Looks like D’Youville has their Man...

https://dyouville.prestosports.com/gene ... osse_Coach

Interesting hire IMO
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

Not sure who else interviewed but on paper this looks like a bad hire. Another example of administrators hiring the young cheap guy w no real experience. Time will tell
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Warrior62 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am Not sure who else interviewed but on paper this looks like a bad hire. Another example of administrators hiring the young cheap guy w no real experience. Time will tell
Couldn't agree more.

14 man roster in 2020
15 man roster in 2019

0 - 4 in 2020
4 - 12 in 2019

With so much coaching talent in the Buffalo region alone i'm shocked that they went with this guy.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Have to remember that we don't know what the salary/benefits for this job are, unless I missed those being published. It's very likely that all those coaches listed passed on this position due to all that was involved. Also, can't blame him for a roster size for a coaching staff he joined in late August of 2019. He wouldn't have been there for the 2019 season and the 2020 roster was already on campus when he got there. He was only there for 1 season as the bio on the page has been updated to say his 2nd year would be this upcoming (2020-2021).
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

It's definitely a full year at part time which absolutely made an impact on the local Buffalo guys.

I think that's a bigger issue though isn't it? He hasn't recruited NCAA at all, only two years at NAIA (granted similar to D2 i'll concede), but all in all not much recruiting experience, especially to start a program from scratch.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I've been told from a friend in the conference that several names listed above were interviewed for the position as well as few others that were strong candidates. Position was PT to FT after year one with a competitive salary in comparison to the Conference standard. I'm not sure why this was the move when D2 HC, other HC's and D2 Associate HC / First assistants applied for the position.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

SpiritInTheStick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am Have to remember that we don't know what the salary/benefits for this job are, unless I missed those being published. It's very likely that all those coaches listed passed on this position due to all that was involved. Also, can't blame him for a roster size for a coaching staff he joined in late August of 2019. He wouldn't have been there for the 2019 season and the 2020 roster was already on campus when he got there. He was only there for 1 season as the bio on the page has been updated to say his 2nd year would be this upcoming (2020-2021).
From my understanding he coached NAIA as a GA and helped out at several hs while there, before making the move to Earlham where he spent two seasons. BUT if this is truly the case that makes it much worse... IMO knowing that he’s only had three total years of college coaching experience while passing on these other candidates that were committed to the opportunity.

Buffalo NY and D’Youvilles city campus is far from rural Indian
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

StuckinD2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:49 am
SpiritInTheStick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am Have to remember that we don't know what the salary/benefits for this job are, unless I missed those being published. It's very likely that all those coaches listed passed on this position due to all that was involved. Also, can't blame him for a roster size for a coaching staff he joined in late August of 2019. He wouldn't have been there for the 2019 season and the 2020 roster was already on campus when he got there. He was only there for 1 season as the bio on the page has been updated to say his 2nd year would be this upcoming (2020-2021).
From my understanding he coached NAIA as a GA and helped out at several hs while there, before making the move to Earlham where he spent two seasons. BUT if this is truly the case that makes it much worse... IMO knowing that he’s only had three total years of college coaching experience while passing on these other candidates that were committed to the opportunity.

Completely Agree
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Here is his bio from the Earlham website: https://www.goearlham.com/sports/mlax/c ... n?view=bio
"Kameron Prince is in his second season with the Earlham College men's lacrosse staff in 2020-21, after joining the staff on August 29, 2019, and assisting Head Coach Blake Keenan throughout the 2019-20 season." I think the lack of recruiting experience is definitely something to be concerned with when you have a brand new program.
StuckinD2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 am I've been told from a friend in the conference that several names listed above were interviewed for the position as well as few others that were strong candidates. Position was PT to FT after year one with a competitive salary in comparison to the Conference standard. I'm not sure why this was the move when D2 HC, other HC's and D2 Associate HC / First assistants applied for the position.
I know from other coaching searches that many will apply or even interview when a new position is out in order to see what the compensation is like. Many times coaches will hear what they are being asked to do/getting paid and decide to turn down the job offer. It can also be used as a negotiation tactic for their current job. Not saying that your friend isn't correct about this specific position and I'm not saying this was an ideal hire, just bringing this up because in general I always see people saying "why did they hire him when they had these people apply/interview?" and sometimes the person that gets the job isn't the one that was 1st, 2nd, etc on the search committee's list
Laxbro98

Post by Laxbro98 »

I have been told other Coaches have applied that didnt get an interview. Coached at some D3 schools the last three years. Was a first time Head Coach last year and once again wasnt even interview for the postion. He has 5 years of coaching experance at some big time schools.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Nothing has been officially posted by the University, so I don’t want say The school, but per Instagram and talking to a friend, I’ve heard that a GLVC HC has stepped down to pursue corporate opportunities. Wouldn’t Be surprised to see more of this moving forward.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I heard rumors that this might have happened this morning. Lincoln Memorial has let go Carroll Kennedy. Carroll was going into his third year, not really sure what transpired to cause this. But he was removed from the roster and the job has been posted.

https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/det ... 20Lacrosse
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

This is super peculiar not only how it seemed to go down, but to have it posted same day.

Anyone know what happened?
jakester

Post by jakester »

StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:22 pm I heard rumors that this might have happened this morning. Lincoln Memorial has let go Carroll Kennedy. Carroll was going into his third year, not really sure what transpired to cause this. But he was removed from the roster and the job has been posted.

According to @DIILacrose on Twitter, Carroll Kennedy was fired for unknown reasons. Apparently players were left in the dark as they were not informed by the AD or school on the decision. Does anyone have more insight on the validity of this information?
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

jakester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 am
StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:22 pm I heard rumors that this might have happened this morning. Lincoln Memorial has let go Carroll Kennedy. Carroll was going into his third year, not really sure what transpired to cause this. But he was removed from the roster and the job has been posted.

According to @DIILacrose on Twitter, Carroll Kennedy was fired for unknown reasons. Apparently players were left in the dark as they were not informed by the AD or school on the decision. Does anyone have more insight on the validity of this information?
There’s speculation that it has to do with Members of the team not following the university’s COVID policies and ultimately leading to athletes on the team testing positive. I’m believe that the AD was supposed to have a meeting with the Team Last night to discuss the current situation.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”