September 1st Contact date

HS Girls Lacrosse
boyo

September 1st Contact date

Post by boyo »

I am starting to hear some rumblings that the traditional contact date of September 1st for rising Juniors ( (2022 class) will be pushed back almost a full year to July 1 2021. Apparently the IWLCA has voted in favor of this move, although the NCAA has to approve it, it seems like a done deal
smoova

Re: September 1st Contact date

Post by smoova »

boyo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 pm I am starting to hear some rumblings that the traditional contact date of September 1st for rising Juniors ( (2022 class) will be pushed back almost a full year to July 1 2021. Apparently the IWLCA has voted in favor of this move, although the NCAA has to approve it, it seems like a done deal
I heard the same thing from an assistant coach in a DI men's program. One interesting wrinkle is that Service Academies were eligible to contact 2022 recruits earlier this month.
Last edited by smoova on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
boyo

Post by boyo »

Yes, thats true.. I have seen a 2022 verbal commit to the Naval Academy from our club already
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

This is pretty crazy. On the one hand, the recruiting summer season has obviously not happened, nor have summer camps and clinics. On the other hand, why is every other sport able to figure this out?

And why July? This gives the 22s two months before they turn to the 23s class? Are they signaling the 22 class will be smaller?
smoova

Post by smoova »

Whatever the intent, this proposal heavily favors the 2021 class at the expense of the 2022s. It is interesting to watch these administrative bodies struggle with the effects of the COVID crisis - every knee-jerk attempt to cure a problem for one group of athletes just creates larger problems for other (and always younger) athletes. "Lacrosse: We Eat Our Young!"
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Lucky13 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am This is pretty crazy. On the one hand, the recruiting summer season has obviously not happened, nor have summer camps and clinics. On the other hand, why is every other sport able to figure this out?

And why July? This gives the 22s two months before they turn to the 23s class? Are they signaling the 22 class will be smaller?
Rather, are they signaling the 22 class will be non-existent?
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Ugh. I hope not. Their statement says otherwise but who knows...
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I’m particularly confused by the tight time table. My kid is looking at schools outside the top 30. Schools that don’t commit on 9/1. Does that mean they’ll be recruiting two classes at once?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

It means your kid won't get recruited, tbh. I'd contact your club director, the NCAA, anyone you can think of - this will be the final nail in the coffin for a LOT of 22's, for no reason whatsoever. Every other sport is continuing to recruit - we have basketball/football commits, baseball recruits, field hockey recruits and even commits to the Naval Academy. For some reason, the women's lacrosse coaches are the only ones that can't adapt. Is it perfect? Of course not. But this is absurd and will place undue and unnecessary burdens on most all girls who aren't going to hear on July 1- in fact, if the time frame holds up, a lot of D1's would be offering through the December of a kid's senior year - by then applications are in, admissions are making decisions, etc. It's not feasible to dump this on these kids.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I have a 2023 on my team who already has two D1 basketball offers. Lax struggles to compete with basketball enough already without doing more things to tie coaches hands.

The D1 offers this girl has are full ride but to mid-major schools literally hundreds of miles from home. I suspect that if a major D1 lax program closer to home offered a partial that would be more enticing to her.
JustWatching

Post by JustWatching »

Has anyone heard anything more about this? Would this affect only women's lacrosse, or would the men's coaches be subject to this also? Other sports? Only D1 or all divisions? Not that I have any control over this, just trying to set some expectations at home.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

This will be only women's lacrosse. For some reason, ONLY women's lacrosse needs this, no other sport has requested such a drastic change. I would encourage you to contact the NCAA, your club director, etc. It's an absolute disaster for the 22 class, no way around it. Either the IWLCA didn't think it through or they don't care.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Four day-old news at this point, but the IMLCA voted (by simple majority) to preserve the 9/1/20 contact date for the class of 2022: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tact/56699
Bart

Post by Bart »

IWLCA is having a town hall tonight at 8 to discuss the proposal. Says it is open to all, just need to register at the IWLCA site.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Anyone attend the zoom?
boyo

Post by boyo »

Lucky13 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 pm Anyone attend the zoom?

late I know but.. the link to view meeting is here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
JustWatching

Post by JustWatching »

Has anyone heard anything about the affect of the dead period through September on the upcoming September 1 contact day for girls lacrosse? Or if there has been any additional discussion of moving the contact date to July?

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”