COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
watcherinthewoods

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I think the next 12-18 months will be a good time to be in school. The 2020-2021 season will no doubt be far from normal, but the job market is scary and for those who had a job lined up, you are starting in what is at best a highly unpredictable and topsy-turvy environment. If you can afford it ($), at least school feels somewhat "normal" even if online. You are playing the sport you love and you have the support and camaraderie of your teammates to help take the sting out of losing your senior season. If you are fortunate enough to have some athletic and/or merit scholarship money, even better: an advanced degree at a discount.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:04 pm More food for thought - what if the spring season can't be played? is there another red shirt given? Can a player take 6 years to use 4 year's of eligibility?

Or, what if a kid decides to take a "gap" year this year given the college experience will be less than ideal - if they received a red shirt last year and took a gap year this year - can they take 6 years to use their 4?

This is one of the downside's to working from home 100% of the time now - pay way too much attention to this board!
date of matriculation doesnt change AFAIK. So, taking a gap year or a mission doesn't bank you a year. (I walked on to a NCAA program in my 5th year...didnt get another one.) 5 years traditionally allowed for 4 with redshirt/injury. Severe/repetitive medical issues allowed for 4 in 6 but had to be approved by the NCAA as a medical hardship and those are few and far between. So, I think based on my football-centric knowledge, that no, you couldnt generically take 6 to do 4, unless....wait for it....NCAA made a new rule (Bill Maher)
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 pm
8meterPA wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:04 pm More food for thought - what if the spring season can't be played? is there another red shirt given? Can a player take 6 years to use 4 year's of eligibility?

Or, what if a kid decides to take a "gap" year this year given the college experience will be less than ideal - if they received a red shirt last year and took a gap year this year - can they take 6 years to use their 4?

This is one of the downside's to working from home 100% of the time now - pay way too much attention to this board!
date of matriculation doesnt change AFAIK. So, taking a gap year or a mission doesn't bank you a year. (I walked on to a NCAA program in my 5th year...didnt get another one.) 5 years traditionally allowed for 4 with redshirt/injury. Severe/repetitive medical issues allowed for 4 in 6 but had to be approved by the NCAA as a medical hardship and those are few and far between. So, I think based on my football-centric knowledge, that no, you couldnt generically take 6 to do 4, unless....wait for it....NCAA made a new rule (Bill Maher)
But why wouldn’t you be allowed to stay a 6th year to play your 4th year ?
You never got to play your 4th year ??
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

If there are no spring 2021 sports and if the NCAA offers an extension to the COVID redshirt to allow it to be applied in spring of 2022... After going an entire year without playing lacrosse, I imagine the vast majority of 2020 and 2021 seniors would be ready to walk away. The first year away from the game is the hardest—then you start to get used to it and enjoy all the perks of no longer being a student-athlete. Unless they're in a multi-year grad program that lends itself to using the redshirt, I would expect that most of these kids would be eager to enter the real world at that point. If this scenario happens, I wouldn't be surprised if we see far fewer 2021 graduates attending grad schools to use their fifth year.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Atlantic 10 just canceled all fall sports...i'm willing to bet that fall semester at most schools will most likely be 100% online unless there is a significant turnaround in the Covid spike in the next 2 weeks.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:45 pm Atlantic 10 just canceled all fall sports...i'm willing to bet that fall semester at most schools will most likely be 100% online unless there is a significant turnaround in the Covid spike in the next 2 weeks.
NE10 (D2) did so yesterday: https://www.northeast10.org/general/202 ... 0716lpyq48
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Hearing Lafayette going completely online for the fall. I would have to think there will be some sort of refund coming back to the parents. 70k a year to go online ain’t gunna fly with a lot of people
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

IWLCA voted to push recruiting to 7/2021 for the 2022 class. Still pending approval from the NCAA.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ncaa/56663
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

7/1 seems like it will put girls in a tough spot to first start looking at schools and getting to know coaches well into senior year in many cases. Every other sport seems to be able to recuit too
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ink-/56705

Great essay by a 2022 at CBA. You have to feel bad for these kids. Lots going through their mind, and no playbook to follow for them or the adults who want to help. Seems like we should be able to find compromise that better serves the athletes.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 am Hearing Lafayette going completely online for the fall. I would have to think there will be some sort of refund coming back to the parents. 70k a year to go online ain’t gunna fly with a lot of people
Loyola has gone to completely online for fall.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

What a bummer! I really feel for all college kids. Hopefully this subsides by the Spring and we can resume some form of normalcy.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

momentum has seemingly gone in the wrong direction - i hate to say it but at this point I think the odds of a spring lacrosse season is at 50/50
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

For this pandemic there’s a greater chance of survival for those
getting infected 3 months later, like June 2020, than those who got
infected 3 months earlier, say February 2020. The reason for this is
that Doctors and scientists know more about COVID-19 now than 3 months ago, and hence are able to treat patients better. I will list *5
important things* that we know now that we didn’t know in February
2020 for your understanding.

1. COVID-19 was initially thought to cause deaths due to *pneumonia- a lung infection*- and so Ventilators were thought to be the best way to
treat sick patients who couldn’t breathe. *Now we are realizing that
the virus causes blood clots in the blood vessels of the lungs* and
other parts of the body; and this causes the reduced oxygenation. Now
we know that just providing oxygen by ventilators will not help, but we
have to prevent and dissolve the micro clots in the lungs. This is why
we are using drugs like *Aspirin and Heparin (blood thinners that
prevent clotting) as protocol in treatment regimens in June 2020.*

2. Previously patients used to drop dead on the road, or even before
reaching a hospital, due to reduced oxygen in their blood - OXYGEN
SATURATION. This was because of *HAPPY HYPOXIA*- where even though the oxygen saturation was gradually reducing the COVID-19, patients did not have symptoms until it became critically less, like sometimes even 70%. **Normally we become breathless if oxygen saturation reduces below 90%. **This breathlessness is not triggered in Covid patients, and so we were getting the sick patients very late to the hospitals, in February 2020. Now, since knowing about happy hypoxia, we are monitoring oxygen saturation of all covid patients *with a simple home use pulse oximeter and getting them to hospital if their oxygen saturation drops to 93% or less*. This gives more time for doctors to correct the oxygen deficiency in the blood and a better survival chance in June

3. We did not have drugs to fight the corona virus in February 2020.
We were only treating the complications caused by it... hypoxia. Hence
most patients became severely infected.
```**Now we have 2 important medicines:

FAVIPIRAVIR & REMDESIVIR**```

These are ANTIVIRALS that can kill the corona virus. By using these
two medicines we can prevent patients from becoming severely infected and therefore cure them BEFORE THEY GO TO HYPOXIA. This knowledge we have in JUNE 2020... not in February 2020.

4. Many Covid-19 patients die not just because of the virus, but also
due the patient’s own immune system responding In an exaggerated
manner called *CYTOKINE STORM*. This stormy strong immune response not only kills the virus but also kills the patients. In February 2020, we didn’t know how to prevent it from happening. Now in June 2020, we know that *easily available medicines called Steroids,* that doctors around the world have been using for almost 80 years, *can be used to
prevent the cytokine storm in some patients*.

5. Now we also know that people with hypoxia became better just by
making them lie down on their belly - known as prone position. Apart
from this, a few days ago, Israeli scientists have discovered that a
chemical known as Alpha Defensin, produced by the patients White blood cells, can cause the micro clots in blood vessels of the lungs; and this could possibly be prevented by a drug called Colchicine, used over many decades in the treatment of Gout.

So now we know for sure that patients have a better chance at
surviving the COVID-19 infection, in June 2020, than in February 2020,
for sure.

Going forward, there’s nothing to panic about Covid-19 - if we remember that a person who gets infected later, has a better chance at survival, than one who got infected early.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

6. We know that younger people are as susceptible, but do not have the same fatality that older people do.
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

7. The death rate is infinitesimally small.

8. The once great state of Maryland has a population of more than 6,000,000 (6 MILLION) humans. As of yesterday, August 6, there are a grand total of five hundred, thirty-five (535) humans currently hospitalized with the beervirus.

9. TL has personal friends in five (5) countries and more than thirty (30) states. Still only know one (1!) person who has been tested positive for the Shanghai Shivers. That friend is a nurse. Tested positive; ZERO symptoms. Back to work after fourteen (14) day quarantine.

Peace, out.

TL
Carroll81 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm 6. We know that younger people are as susceptible, but do not have the same fatality that older people do.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 am 7. The death rate is infinitesimally small.

8. The once great state of Maryland has a population of more than 6,000,000 (6 MILLION) humans. As of yesterday, August 6, there are a grand total of five hundred, thirty-five (535) humans currently hospitalized with the beervirus.

9. TL has personal friends in five (5) countries and more than thirty (30) states. Still only know one (1!) person who has been tested positive for the Shanghai Shivers. That friend is a nurse. Tested positive; ZERO symptoms. Back to work after fourteen (14) day quarantine.

Peace, out.

TL
Carroll81 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm 6. We know that younger people are as susceptible, but do not have the same fatality that older people do.
agree 100% with points 1-9, unfortunately we seem to have lost all sense of critical thinking. You have to let it run it course to build herd immunity until vaccine - protect the vulnerable at all costs during that time. Mortality rate of ages 0 - 18 is 1 in a million and no cases of student passing along to teachers. We have been playing club lacrosse all summer here in PA, attending tournaments in NJ, PA, MD and have not had 1 single issue.

Yesterday PA governor came out and and blindsided everyone and effectively wiped out all HS sports & potentially club sports until January 2021. Our governing HS sports body, PIAA, is meeting today to decide what to do. Sad.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

NY times? :roll: :roll:

Johns Hopkins just went online - Univ of MD still on schedule for in person
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am We have been playing club lacrosse all summer here in PA, attending tournaments in NJ, PA, MD and have not had 1 single issue.
I’m glad your experience has been good.

I am aware, however, of quite a number of issues. Kids, even coaches, getting the virus, teams (not entire clubs) having to pull out of tournaments or play days due to the virus. Teams (again, not entire clubs) having to quarantine.

Lots of tournaments were canceled. Lots of clubs pulled out of tourneys. Reschedulings across the board.

I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems that New York clubs’ travel has been restricted.

The tryouts for the Underclass LI and Upstate UA teams have been postponed, apparently indefinitely. The underclass tournament itself, has been broken into four regional events, one of which has yet to be scheduled.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”