COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:15 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 pm Just noticed this thread and read some of the early posts.

Boy, they haven't aged well now that we're already approaching 100k (not 1k) about 2 months later.

Interesting issue re how many programs will be cut.
Hope most figure out how to go on hiatus, not actually cut permanently.
troll much?
really?
Maybe you think they did age well?
Were you one of those early posters dismissing the impact as a 'nothing burger''?

First time I'd been through the thread (I'm usually on the men's side, except for dropping in from time to time on a couple of specific topics/programs) and it struck me as quite amazing how much our perspectives have changed in 2 months.

But that's also past tense...the current conversation about programs being cut is the current topic.

However our rapidly changing perspective does seems to me to be relevant to how we think about the next 2 months, and the next 2 years...
Nope, really not interested in trolling. I am very interested in how women's lacrosse moves forward and any content that adds to that discussion.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:15 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 pm Just noticed this thread and read some of the early posts.

Boy, they haven't aged well now that we're already approaching 100k (not 1k) about 2 months later.

Interesting issue re how many programs will be cut.
Hope most figure out how to go on hiatus, not actually cut permanently.
troll much?
really?
Maybe you think they did age well?
Were you one of those early posters dismissing the impact as a 'nothing burger''?

First time I'd been through the thread (I'm usually on the men's side, except for dropping in from time to time on a couple of specific topics/programs) and it struck me as quite amazing how much our perspectives have changed in 2 months.

But that's also past tense...the current conversation about programs being cut is the current topic.

However our rapidly changing perspective does seems to me to be relevant to how we think about the next 2 months, and the next 2 years...
Nope, really not interested in trolling. I am very interested in how women's lacrosse moves forward and any content that adds to that discussion.
Agreed, though my perspective is broadly lacrosse, men's and women's. My connections to the women's side, in addition to lots of family members, mom, sister, nieces, cousins, who have played and coached, is also as a longtime Friends Board member at my alma mater, a board which has the responsibility for both women's and men's programs.

The reason I mentioned these changing perspectives is that we're very likely to have been underestimating the knock-on impacts of the pandemic, just as we were prone to do early on in estimating the severity.

That doesn't mean that we should be depressed and resigned to the situation, it's more to suggest that the challenge of maintaining these programs, indeed all sports, especially non-revenue, going forward is a large one. It will require, more than ever, to be able to make the case for these sports as educational endeavors worthy of the support. That's not going to be a slam dunk in the context of other educational challenges.

I think that recognizing the challenge is the first step in meeting it successfully.
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Things are not looking good for the Ivy League.

Harvard letting 40% back on campus in the fall including freshmen who will live in singles

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-decisio ... demic-year

After careful deliberation and informed by extensive input from our community, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences announced plans to bring up to 40% of our undergraduates to campus, including all first-year students, for the fall semester. Assuming that we maintain 40% density in the spring semester, we would again bring back one class, and our priority at this time is to bring seniors to campus. Under this plan, first years would return home and learn remotely in the spring. We also will invite back to campus those students who may not be able to learn successfully in their current home learning environment.
Enrolled undergraduate students who will be learning from campus will live in single bedrooms with a shared bathroom. Students will be distributed across the first-year dorms and a number of upper-class Houses in order to achieve a maximum residential density of 40%.

Princeton will have freshman and juniors back in the fall.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/07/ ... demic-year

With regard to athletics programs this fall, the Council of Ivy League Presidents intends to announce a decision regarding intercollegiate athletic activity for fall 2020 on July 8. The Department of Athletics will have more information for varsity athletes at that time.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Zero chance that there is Women's Fall lacrosse. Some form of modified Spring (no flights, conference-only, etc) is 50/50. In my humble opinion, of course.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Delco Transplant wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 pm Things are not looking good for the Ivy League.

Harvard letting 40% back on campus in the fall including freshmen who will live in singles

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-decisio ... demic-year

After careful deliberation and informed by extensive input from our community, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences announced plans to bring up to 40% of our undergraduates to campus, including all first-year students, for the fall semester. Assuming that we maintain 40% density in the spring semester, we would again bring back one class, and our priority at this time is to bring seniors to campus. Under this plan, first years would return home and learn remotely in the spring. We also will invite back to campus those students who may not be able to learn successfully in their current home learning environment.
Enrolled undergraduate students who will be learning from campus will live in single bedrooms with a shared bathroom. Students will be distributed across the first-year dorms and a number of upper-class Houses in order to achieve a maximum residential density of 40%.

Princeton will have freshman and juniors back in the fall.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/07/ ... demic-year

With regard to athletics programs this fall, the Council of Ivy League Presidents intends to announce a decision regarding intercollegiate athletic activity for fall 2020 on July 8. The Department of Athletics will have more information for varsity athletes at that time.
All classes online at Harvard:

"Harvard announced today that it would invite only 40% of its undergraduates to live on campus this fall. All 1,650 first-year students will have the option to reside on the Cambridge grounds when the term begins on September 2. But students will not attend live classes. Instead they will isolate in their single dormitory bedrooms and take all of their courses online."
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

cltlax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 pm

"Harvard announced today that it would invite only 40% of its undergraduates to live on campus this fall. All 1,650 first-year students will have the option to reside on the Cambridge grounds when the term begins on September 2. But students will not attend live classes. Instead they will isolate in their single dormitory bedrooms and take all of their courses online."
Well that is a great college experience....If I pay for that Haavaad edumacation, I am telling little Susie or Sam to stay home and save thousands of $$$. I know, they wont get to go to socially distanced Fraternity parties, but...
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

ProudPapa wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm Zero chance that there is Women's Fall lacrosse. Some form of modified Spring (no flights, conference-only, etc) is 50/50. In my humble opinion, of course.
agreed, unfortunately what I predicted in another thread about 2 weeks ago is starting to fall in place at an accelerating pace. No fall ball or any fall sports, in my opinion, including football.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm
cltlax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Well that is a great college experience....If I pay for that Haavaad edumacation, I am telling little Susie or Sam to stay home and save thousands of $$$. I know, they wont get to go to socially distanced Fraternity parties, but...
at least Princeton cut their tuition by 10%!!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Additional fallout from Ivy cancelling in person classes and most likely at least fall sports - gap years. Already know of 2 kids who are incoming freshman wlax who have decided to take a gap year. As more and more schools cancel in person classes, fall ball, conditioning, fall sports, etc - more and more kids will take a gap year this year.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:52 pm Additional fallout from Ivy cancelling in person classes and most likely at least fall sports - gap years. Already know of 2 kids who are incoming freshman wlax who have decided to take a gap year. As more and more schools cancel in person classes, fall ball, conditioning, fall sports, etc - more and more kids will take a gap year this year.
If my kid was matriculating as a freshmen this fall, I would urge her -- athlete or not -- to defer for a year. Get a job, make some money, work on a campaign, stay in top shape, and watch things shake out.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That sounds like pretty good advice to me, sc, I think I'd be thinking along the same lines. Sure doesn't sound as if there's much of a "college experience" going on out there and if they want to get some courses out of the way before they jump in fully they sure can take some on line courses during their "gap year". For the athlete, a year of training and strenghtening could pay big dividends. I don't know if it's the same for women as they mature physically faster/earlier than men, but I know I put on 5-7 lbs of muscle and matured quite a bit physically (mentally, probably not so much) between the ages of 18-20 so I sure don't see it as a bad thing for a young gal to do given the times (none of that is to say I'd like to sit down with an 18 year old girl and try to convince them that that's the wiser thing to do...good luck wif dat, fellas).
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I'm wondering how the new student visa policy will affect athletics—not sure if you all have heard, but essentially the US is not offering student visas for the fall semester to international students whose coursework will all be online. (Let's save any discussion of this policy for the politics thread.) This will obviously have a much larger impact on sports like field hockey, soccer, ice hockey, even mlax than wlax. Certain teams who have Canadian players in their lineup will be affected, assuming there is no exemption for athletes.

If schools want to keep residence density below a certain threshold (a la Harvard), this immigration policy could potentially help athletes by opening up space on campus. Will be interesting to see how things play out, but this is something to keep in mind.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am I'm wondering how the new student visa policy will affect athletics—not sure if you all have heard, but essentially the US is not offering student visas for the fall semester to international students whose coursework will all be online. (Let's save any discussion of this policy for the politics thread.) This will obviously have a much larger impact on sports like field hockey, soccer, ice hockey, even mlax than wlax. Certain teams who have Canadian players in their lineup will be affected, assuming there is no exemption for athletes.

If schools want to keep residence density below a certain threshold (a la Harvard), this immigration policy could potentially help athletes by opening up space on campus. Will be interesting to see how things play out, but this is something to keep in mind.
shouldn't impact it all - requirements would require that the school goes 100% online and the student's entire course load would be online. I haven't heard any school announce that they are going 100% online for this fall, except for Harvard...so it's in the college's control.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 pm https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/08/ ... ty-sports/

Not lacrosse.
That's a shame - feel for the impacted kids and families. You would think that Stanford could dip into it's endowment to get those sports through a year or two...wouldn't even move the needle on the endowment balance.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 pm https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/08/ ... ty-sports/

Not lacrosse.
That's a shame - feel for the impacted kids and families. You would think that Stanford could dip into it's endowment to get those sports through a year or two...wouldn't even move the needle on the endowment balance.
Yes, you are not alone. The Twitterverse is fuming at Stanford.
njbill

Post by njbill »

As anticipated, the Ivy League has canceled fall sports.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

unfortunately I believe it will spill over to the Patriot league next and then over to Power 5 conferences. As I said a few weeks ago, the fall sports will be moved to Spring, schools cannot afford to lose the football & basketball revenue. Going to be pretty hard to study spring semester with literally 25 sports being played at one time!
Turtles Lax

Stanford just canceled eleven programs.

Post by Turtles Lax »

Yes, THAT Stanford and, yes, eleven (11!) sports with attendant loss of jobs and scholarship opportunities.

You think your school is immune? Get ready...

I truly hope common sense somehow prevails... So far it has not!
Lax247

Re: Stanford just canceled eleven programs.

Post by Lax247 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 pm Yes, THAT Stanford and, yes, eleven (11!) sports with attendant loss of jobs and scholarship opportunities.

You think your school is immune? Get ready...

I truly hope common sense somehow prevails... So far it has not!
Give me a break Stanford...27 Billion Dollar endowment.
So many millionaire and billionaire alumni. Make a phone call and cut a check for Pete’s sake

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”