Summer 2020 Recruiting

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GoBirds28

Re: Summer 2020 Recruiting

Post by GoBirds28 »

Couple of my close college friends are lacrosse and soccer coaches at both the d1 and d3 level. Within our conversations I've gathered this. Summer recruiting will happen for one simple reason. Money. Many college coaches run these events, and many college coaches rely upon those events as a way to supplement their very low salaries. As one of them put it "I am a bit nervous but the alternative is not paying my rent".

As for having college sports all of them are very skeptical, with one going as far to say "will be shocked if we make it to Labor Day before the kids are sent home". I unfortunately agree with them. We do know more about the virus but not enough to afford to make any binding decisions. College administrators are either naive or just plain dumb to think that they can control a group of people who already think they are "invincible". "I talk to my guys all the time and many of them are going out every weekend, having fun, we are doomed if we think these kids are going to sit in their dorms" another coach said. There are just to many variables and opinions on this virus to keep a college campus from having problems. Administrators will blame the student body for the outbreaks saying they didn't practice "safe protocols" and will justify taking the full fall tuition and kick the issue down the road until the spring semester hoping for a miracle that might never come. Just like how we shut everything down in March, nobody will want to have a worst case scenario; panic will occur, and all colleges will follow suit(justified or not). "Im preparing to not have a job, im applying for sales positions" one said. In my assessment, I don't agree completly with the dire outlook of these guys but I think their viewpoint is they are at the mercy of college administrators who maybe are not living in the same world as the rest of the student and staff that they are making decisions over.Cuts and cancelations (sports) will continue to be made until a group of schools decide to accept the risks and deal with the dire consequences (if they happen)I think we are seeing this in the world around as businesses are reopening.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 am Xanders says he headed out to this event this coming week

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 92928?s=21

https://twitter.com/laxsportsnet/status ... 24864?s=21
Saw Ty up in the Manchester airport this morning....he was in New Hampshire for an event. **

Asked him why he looked kind of in a trance, "were you shocked at the talent at this event, like watching your first ISL game a few months back"

"NO" Ty responded. " I had no idea so many lakes could exist. There isn't a lake in all of Maryland "

**There actually was an event in New Hampshire yesterday.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 am Xanders says he headed out to this event this coming week

Saw Ty up in the Manchester airport this morning....he was in New Hampshire for an event. **

Asked him why he looked kind of in a trance, "were you shocked at the talent at this event, like watching your first ISL game a few months back"

"NO" Ty responded. " I had no idea so many lakes could exist. There isn't a lake in all of Maryland "

do you get more clients from Uber, or Lyft ?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

GoBirds28 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm Couple of my close college friends are lacrosse and soccer coaches at both the d1 and d3 level. Within our conversations I've gathered this. Summer recruiting will happen for one simple reason. Money. Many college coaches run these events, and many college coaches rely upon those events as a way to supplement their very low salaries. As one of them put it "I am a bit nervous but the alternative is not paying my rent".

As for having college sports all of them are very skeptical, with one going as far to say "will be shocked if we make it to Labor Day before the kids are sent home". I unfortunately agree with them. We do know more about the virus but not enough to afford to make any binding decisions. College administrators are either naive or just plain dumb to think that they can control a group of people who already think they are "invincible". "I talk to my guys all the time and many of them are going out every weekend, having fun, we are doomed if we think these kids are going to sit in their dorms" another coach said. There are just to many variables and opinions on this virus to keep a college campus from having problems. Administrators will blame the student body for the outbreaks saying they didn't practice "safe protocols" and will justify taking the full fall tuition and kick the issue down the road until the spring semester hoping for a miracle that might never come. Just like how we shut everything down in March, nobody will want to have a worst case scenario; panic will occur, and all colleges will follow suit(justified or not). "Im preparing to not have a job, im applying for sales positions" one said. In my assessment, I don't agree completly with the dire outlook of these guys but I think their viewpoint is they are at the mercy of college administrators who maybe are not living in the same world as the rest of the student and staff that they are making decisions over.Cuts and cancelations (sports) will continue to be made until a group of schools decide to accept the risks and deal with the dire consequences (if they happen)I think we are seeing this in the world around as businesses are reopening.
Administrators are not off in la-la land on this. They all know exactly what's happening. Their choice is open or close. Close means the end of many universities. Not just a few. But many. Most universities in states that were initially hard hit are putting into place a ton of mitigation protocols, including dorm space to quarantine positive students and contact tracing in ways that even few states are doing. Universities in states that haven't been hit as hard (until now) have been less rigorous until now, but even those university administrators know exactly what's going on. In the south, football is really driving a lot of political pressure...like "the board or governor will remove you if you don't allow football to be played."

And BTW, parents are driving a lot of the pressure to open. Some of it is "why pay for online?" Some of it is "you all are over-reacting." Some of it is "there's a low chance of death among kids and if they don't come home, they won't spread it to us and grandma/grandpa." Parents want their kids out of their houses.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

PulpExposure wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
UH....fake lake. Deep Creek is man made. UH.....
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
I thought he was in Howard County yesterday... https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 13765?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
I thought he was in Howard County yesterday... https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 13765?s=20
Tennessee event is today.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 pm
GoBirds28 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm Couple of my close college friends are lacrosse and soccer coaches at both the d1 and d3 level. Within our conversations I've gathered this. Summer recruiting will happen for one simple reason. Money. Many college coaches run these events, and many college coaches rely upon those events as a way to supplement their very low salaries. As one of them put it "I am a bit nervous but the alternative is not paying my rent".

Administrators are not off in la-la land on this. They all know exactly what's happening. Their choice is open or close. Close means the end of many universities. Not just a few. But many. Most universities in states that were initially hard hit are putting into place a ton of mitigation protocols, including dorm space to quarantine positive students and contact tracing in ways that even few states are doing. Universities in states that haven't been hit as hard (until now) have been less rigorous until now, but even those university administrators know exactly what's going on. In the south, football is really driving a lot of political pressure...like "the board or governor will remove you if you don't allow football to be played."

And BTW, parents are driving a lot of the pressure to open. Some of it is "why pay for online?" Some of it is "you all are over-reacting." Some of it is "there's a low chance of death among kids and if they don't come home, they won't spread it to us and grandma/grandpa." Parents want their kids out of their houses.
the rationale of the coaches and the college presidents each other.

"I'm a bit nervous, but the alternative is not paying my rent" - covers a LOT of people.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Little different in that if you are building something sustainable beyond a lifetime the consideration should be a little different and while it will accelerate the demise of some institutions, if you have to make the decision to risk 1,500 - 20,000+ kids to stay afloat even in the year of a pandemic (along with whatever else craziness one sees going on this year) I'd submit your long term viability isn't looking too hot either.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm Little different in that if you are building something sustainable beyond a lifetime the consideration should be a little different and while it will accelerate the demise of some institutions, if you have to make the decision to risk 1,500 - 20,000+ kids to stay afloat even in the year of a pandemic (along with whatever else craziness one sees going on this year) I'd submit your long term viability isn't looking too hot either.
This is bigger than that, isn't it? Tuition only?

Tough to justify billions in research dollars to empty universities, isn't it? Or grovelling for donations for that "new" dorm or athletic facility. With no one there to fill them. I would venture it's fraud, because the grant said nothing about online robots or vaccines. The military wants hard goods. not a zoom video chat about the latest f-35 repairs needed....
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:39 am

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
Lots of big name coaches(current and former) in Tenn today...guess they had to find a state they allowed lacrosse action! Just saw the LP Summit event was cxl'd :(
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Re ABV question

Yes though as a liberal arts grad who backfilled some technical skills w grad school it makes me nauseous to think these institutions care more about research grants than educating kids but yes still. And the facility arms race is a joke I think we generally all agree.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Thought D1 coaches could not attend recruiting events. High Point made a video about it.
https://twitter.com/hpumenslax/status/1 ... 24643?s=21
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

How can Div 1 coaches work these events during the NCAA dead period? Is there an exemption for working an event as opposed to attending it?
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:39 am

Uh Deep Creek Lake?
Lots of big name coaches(current and former) in Tenn today...guess they had to find a state they allowed lacrosse action! Just saw the LP Summit event was cxl'd :(
I thought the NCAA dead period was still in effect?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe its not the dead period for soccer
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm Thought D1 coaches could not attend recruiting events. High Point made a video about it.
https://twitter.com/hpumenslax/status/1 ... 24643?s=21
I think it is a video having some fun.. At end they were watching video putting on sunscreen, only players were on screen.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am

"I'm a bit nervous, but the alternative is not paying my rent" - covers a LOT of people.
what i haven't seen... anywhere as of yet, is a grandiose plan on testing. and certainly not any plan on what they're going to do when they start seeing cases. i've seen tons on options, dorm spacing, online vs face to face, dining.

that's great.

there are going to be cases sweeping thru campus no matter what you do. how are you going to identify them? what are you going to do next?

are you testing the local establishments on and just off campus? all workers? are you having ta's run in person classes for professors who don't want to be in person? maybe even have prof "zoom"ed up on the screen?

nothing on what is actually going to happen. don't know if all these plans are coming or if these administrators are just out to lunch. the fact is the case fatality is numbingly low for young people. i would guess even more so for kids in good health. if schools start sending everyone home after a few cases crop up, and didn't iterate a plan ahead of time, that's pure idiocy.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am

what i haven't seen... anywhere as of yet, is a grandiose plan on testing. and certainly not any plan on what they're going to do when they start seeing cases. i've seen tons on options, dorm spacing, online vs face to face, dining.

that's great.

there are going to be cases sweeping thru campus no matter what you do. how are you going to identify them? what are you going to do next?

are you testing the local establishments on and just off campus? all workers? are you having ta's run in person classes for professors who don't want to be in person? maybe even have prof "zoom"ed up on the screen?

nothing on what is actually going to happen. don't know if all these plans are coming or if these administrators are just out to lunch. the fact is the case fatality is numbingly low for young people. i would guess even more so for kids in good health. if schools start sending everyone home after a few cases crop up, and didn't iterate a plan ahead of time, that's pure idiocy.
Bank on it. That’s exactly what they’ll do. Few have the courage to admit publicly that this virus is widespread enough (and has been for months) that it will rum it’s course. The only question is how long that takes and how much pain we decide to put ourselves through on the way. You can ride a bike from here to there, or you can walk (“slow the spread”)...but you’ll still end up in the same place.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”