D’Youville College Adding Lacrosse

D2 Mens Lacrosse
D2fan

D’Youville College Adding Lacrosse

Post by D2fan »

D’Youville College in Buffalo, NY is transitioning from Division III to Division II and looks to be adding men's lacrosse. Looks like they will be joining the ECC

https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/136186 ... osse-coach
midwestlaxdad

Re: D’Youville College Adding Lacrosse

Post by midwestlaxdad »

Interesting they want the coach to start off part-time. Hard to recruit a team from scratch when you have to work another job on the side.....
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

midwestlaxdad wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 pm Interesting they want the coach to start off part-time. Hard to recruit a team from scratch when you have to work another job on the side.....
Maybe they know someone local (hs, club) who wants to transition and they have their selection with the search a formality.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm
midwestlaxdad wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 pm Interesting they want the coach to start off part-time. Hard to recruit a team from scratch when you have to work another job on the side.....
Maybe they know someone local (hs, club) who wants to transition and they have their selection with the search a formality.
That's what I was thinking too. I hope this is the case and they know someone who wants the position regardless of it being part-time. Is it possible that the position would be part time for the year or two before they start actually playing and at that point it will be switched to full-time? I don't know if that has happened in the past with other schools but I could understand that a little more.

Interesting time to add a sport with many schools considering dropping sports. I wonder if the administration wants to use lax to help fill admissions numbers. If this is the case, I hope they give whoever is hired a realistic budget to run a lacrosse program that obviously won't have alumni donations to help out instead of just using the team for admissions and being as cheap as possible. Regardless of the intentions of the school, I'm hoping for the best and love to see new programs.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

SpiritInTheStick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:11 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm
That's what I was thinking too. I hope this is the case and they know someone who wants the position regardless of it being part-time. Is it possible that the position would be part time for the year or two before they start actually playing and at that point it will be switched to full-time? I don't know if that has happened in the past with other schools but I could understand that a little more.

Interesting time to add a sport with many schools considering dropping sports. I wonder if the administration wants to use lax to help fill admissions numbers. If this is the case, I hope they give whoever is hired a realistic budget to run a lacrosse program that obviously won't have alumni donations to help out instead of just using the team for admissions and being as cheap as possible. Regardless of the intentions of the school, I'm hoping for the best and love to see new programs.
D'Youville going D2 has been talked about for the last year or 2. My guess is that the school planned on a full time coach from the start, but the Pandemic has made it very hard to hire new full time employees.

I am sure they will get some decent resumes from the WNY and Buffalo area. It could be a struggle to find talent with all of the low DI and good D2/D3 teams recruiting that area like Canisius, Bonaventure, Le Moyne, Mercyhurst, Roberts Wesleyan, Nazareth, St. John Fisher and RIT
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

D'Youville recently released their new branding and mascot, moving from the Spartans to the Saints. Has any one heard anything about where they are in the hiring process? I was told by someone in the lacrosse community that prior to them posting the position they had placed several feelers out to local college coaches and a few notable HS coaches to gauge their interest in the position.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

A lot of ECC programs posting that they’re back and practicing. Has anyone heard anything about D’Youville or where they’re at? Their social media has been pretty quiet and has only promoted 3 kids signed. They also had a GA posting on the NCAA Market. Looking at other programs they all seem to be posting a lot more of their commits. Late Jan. And only three signed would seem to be a bit behind for a competitive fall ‘21 start.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm A lot of ECC programs posting that they’re back and practicing. Has anyone heard anything about D’Youville or where they’re at? Their social media has been pretty quiet and has only promoted 3 kids signed. They also had a GA posting on the NCAA Market. Looking at other programs they all seem to be posting a lot more of their commits. Late Jan. And only three signed would seem to be a bit behind for a competitive fall ‘21 start.
That is because schools are only allowed to post recruits who have either signed an NLI or deposited to enroll.

With only a part-time coach to start the program, I'd think resources and scholarships are scarce. So the team makeup will rely heavily upon bringing in financial aid players.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

That’s a good point and since they’re in their probationary period they can’t give actual NLI’s they can give grant and aid forms. So they’re not allowed to post until the SA deposits even if they’ve signed their Grant and Aid. But looking at DYC’s other programs social media they posted a lot of their ‘21s. I was more so curious to see if anyone knew how things were going up there and how many guys they might actually have? I heard from a friend who Coaches in the ECC that the HC is only PT this year and goes full time at the start of fiscal year. It sounds like they have good support and funding as well so the lack of social media presence is just surprising to me....

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”