Young Harris lacrosse

D2 Mens Lacrosse
McLax

Re: Young Harris lacrosse

Post by McLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am For what it's worth, that list was a scrap paper list used to make a list of grievances before creating the actual list that they submitted to the AD. Also, this is an ongoing legal case so it's entirely possible that the grievances were more real than many in this thread are recognizing. Bottomline, we don't have all the information.
Sorry Matt, it's the Boomer in me... :D
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Sounds like the players are really confused. Parents are also confused. If my child presented that list to me I would laugh at them and tell them to shut their mouth and get to work. Wears hats??!! When he try’s to compliment us it does sound sincere?? Wow these kids are doomed in life.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Wears Hats!

dberglax

Post by dberglax »

shaadb-man wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:55 pm I was surprised to see this as their reasoning for wanting a new coach and kind of goes to show how delusional they are. Best D in D2?!?! What are they talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: Unless there is further more I think the school did the right thing, I'm actually at a lost and am embarrassed for the parents who raised these men. From what I understand and correct me if I am wrong but not only did they all sign a petition, which should alone end the season as there is no coming back from that, they also stopped practicing... Wow. What did they think would be the end result?

One of the big problems today is parents doing everything for their kids, they don't let them fail and learn how to deal with adversity through failure. It's ok to fail that is how you learn to be stronger and I don't know if these guys know how to deal with adversity very well.

simple note from the goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NEQdqA48Y
Don't be embarrassed for the parents. It's my understanding that the entire team went to the AD looking for assistance to address the various issues with the coach once it was realized this coach would not listen to them. Read the entire "draft" list of complaints--Doesn't fight for his players, zero care to form any relationships, excessive punishments...There is context behind every one of them that you are not aware of. What coach doesn't go out and check on injured players laying on the field? What coach tells the players to take chances, but if they do and fail they are yanked from game, screamed at on sidelines, and not allowed to go back in? What coach doesn't stop one time on a 13 hour bus ride to eat. What coach, doesn't let the players (after a win mind you) go across the field and address family members who came to watch? Then scream at them in the locker room and give them an ultimatum that if they don't start listening they are gone? (again this was after a win) Every one of the players chose to play at YH (most had many offers). A new coach needs to come in and EARN respect, not demand it. I won't even get into all of the coaching blunders he made in the first games. Just because you played the game, doesn't always mean you can coach as well. Some of the bonehead moves this coach made were head scratchers to say the least. At the end of the day, this AD and admin failed the students. A simple sit down with coach, AD, and players most likely resolves any issues. Cancelling a season was not the answer. So for all of you on this board, that want to bash the players, and focus on the "hat wearing" issue only--there's a LOT more to this story than you are aware of. Go ahead if that makes you feel better. Every one of these players will be just fine. And...hopefully this 27 year old coach learned a lesson about how to interact with his players.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Well thanks for proving the point most are trying to make. Can it be said that any Coach make's mistakes or errors in judgements, of course, who among us if flawless ? This Coach is an explayer at the college level, who then went on the serve as an Asst. at a ranked team, so there is more than a few years of experience in his backround. Vs players with no proven leadership skills or experience, telling the Coach, and Admin. that they know what is best. :roll: I can't image the arrogance of someone that would put legs to these ill conceived ideas telling these professional educators and Coaches that they know more.
I know YHC Men's Lacrosse team will recover and once again take the field filled with goals to fulfill and hopes of proving themselves on the field. My best wishes will go out the team and Coaching staff, on the positive side the Coach can get a jump on the recruiting trail and find players that are more about their education both on and off the field than they opinions being heard.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

laxmarmot wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:29 am Well thanks for proving the point most are trying to make. Can it be said that any Coach make's mistakes or errors in judgements, of course, who among us if flawless ? This Coach is an explayer at the college level, who then went on the serve as an Asst. at a ranked team, so there is more than a few years of experience in his backround. Vs players with no proven leadership skills or experience, telling the Coach, and Admin. that they know what is best. :roll: I can't image the arrogance of someone that would put legs to these ill conceived ideas telling these professional educators and Coaches that they know more.
I know YHC Men's Lacrosse team will recover and once again take the field filled with goals to fulfill and hopes of proving themselves on the field. My best wishes will go out the team and Coaching staff, on the positive side the Coach can get a jump on the recruiting trail and find players that are more about their education both on and off the field than they opinions being heard.
Not sure what point you feel was being made, but from your statement and rolling eyes emoji it sounds like you are siding with the coach and AD on this. Remember that every single player on that team went to the AD for direction. Not just a few underclassmen who were complaining about playing time. Seems like human nature for a coach to come in, get to know his players and earn their respect. He did not recruit any of them. He was not the reason they were there. He had a young, but talented group of players. This should be a young lacrosse coaches dream, but when you feel mistreated as a team, and the coach threatens to bench you, throw you off the team and could care less if you leave---A team turns to the AD for help in addressing the issues. Again, a simple sit down with coach, AD and team would have resolved this whole situation. The impression of the mens lacrosse culture was toxic. Some one tell me how 24 of the 32 players who are underclassmen were all of a sudden toxic. 27-32 players received academic achievement awards the prior semester. More than any team on that campus. Where is this a toxic team culture? It is my opinion that the AD and admin let these players down.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I’ll stand by what I said earlier. The right or wrong of it all is yet to be seen. There are great coaches and there are abusive, worthless asses, and so far this could fall anywhere between the two. Either way, the public statement from the school was PATHETIC!!

Casting blame nowhere but on the players, and then promising a fair assessment of complaints is ridiculous. It sounds like minds are already made up. If the decision needs to be made, them make it and move on. No school should denigrate their students who tried to work through the channels.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Just for some back round, could you provide so insight on the the 1 st and 2 nd head Coaches, why are they no longer at the school. Could there be a pattern here. Not sure just curious ?
No sides being taken here. Just human natural that when people get backed into corners sometimes things do not go as planned. No one could have seen this coming, sad but it is behind us now. Good luck moving forward.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Guess this story has lost some steam...
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

Jay Goldsmith, Head Coach just quit! Anyone have any details? Maybe the team knew what they were talking about...
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Where did you hear this? Any other details? Nothing official has been posted on YHC athletics site.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Holy crow...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Has this been confirmed? Not trying to stir things up, but I want to know what AD's are thinking when they hire a guy with only 3 years of Asst experience, not much older then his players and then don't give him support or help. Really a lot of the complaints could have handled and a lot of them on the surface look very petty but that is also the generation you are dealing with they are used to having their way, trophies for everyone and bulldozer parents who don't think their kid does anything wrong. Good AD's don't jump to conclusions and listen and use common sense, AD's that are worrying about politics jump to keep the kids and parents happy and don't support or help their coaches.
jakester

Post by jakester »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm Has this been confirmed? Not trying to stir things up, but I want to know what AD's are thinking when they hire a guy with only 3 years of Asst experience, not much older then his players and then don't give him support or help. Really a lot of the complaints could have handled and a lot of them on the surface look very petty but that is also the generation you are dealing with they are used to having their way, trophies for everyone and bulldozer parents who don't think their kid does anything wrong. Good AD's don't jump to conclusions and listen and use common sense, AD's that are worrying about politics jump to keep the kids and parents happy and don't support or help their coaches.

Although nothing official has been put out there by the school, I can say that I know a family with a player on the team and they confirmed that the HC did in fact quit. Also, that the YHC lax 20-21 season will be canceled. :shock:
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Here’s the official statement by the school:

https://yhcathletics.com/news/2020/6/17 ... eason.aspx

Tough situation for the current players and incoming first years. Hopefully they can recover and the institution will do a full search to find the right next HC.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Why ? is the question. One would think that a forward thinking program would allow the newly hired HC a chance to go recruit himself a team even if it would sit out next season. At first look, it seems the school took the easy out and tossed everything out the window, I am so tired of this "tough decision"statement. This isn't even July, could they have made the same decision in early September ? Thus providing the HC and staff more of an opportunity to pull together a team. Yes the the staff have an uphill fight in selling the school and the program to some fresh faces, but that's what HC's are hired, in part, to do. But maybe the foul taste the last team left in the mouth of the Staff and Administration was so bad that just didn't have the stomach for it. Well I really hope they all get it together and find someone that can pull the program back together and that it happens sooner rather than later. Good school, good facilities, nice location, yes out in the country but come you can't have it all.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

laxmarmot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:40 pm Why ? is the question. One would think that a forward thinking program would allow the newly hired HC a chance to go recruit himself a team even if it would sit out next season. At first look, it seems the school took the easy out and tossed everything out the window, I am so tired of this "tough decision"statement. This isn't even July, could they have made the same decision in early September ? Thus providing the HC and staff more of an opportunity to pull together a team. Yes the the staff have an uphill fight in selling the school and the program to some fresh faces, but that's what HC's are hired, in part, to do. But maybe the foul taste the last team left in the mouth of the Staff and Administration was so bad that just didn't have the stomach for it. Well I really hope they all get it together and find someone that can pull the program back together and that it happens sooner rather than later. Good school, good facilities, nice location, yes out in the country but come you can't have it all.
I feel the AD was in a tough spot and afraid she could not find the right person, it really is going to take the right person to turn this around but I agree there is time and the right person is out there but they need to really care about the program and the kids and not just go through the motions/
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

So the HC that left, wasn't any of the above ? When why was he hired ? and if you content he is a builder of progams, or rebuilder of programs, despite no HC experience, why was he let go ?
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

He was 3 years old of college and had three asst coach jobs, why was he hired good question. Not sure the financials at YHC but guessing they didn’t want to pay a more experienced coach and got what they paid for. When someone doesn’t know what they are doing they get defensive and it goes down hill. Rather see them bring in a experience mature coach who can bring the team together and make the season work. The old coach was in a tough spot we all now these guys are going to test a coach and really test a young coach.
CarolinaLax Dad

Post by CarolinaLax Dad »

He graduated in 2015, so he has been out of school five years. He coached HS lacrosse out of college. His dad coached at Guilford in the '90's and coached him in HS. His brother was on the Tewarton watch list this year - he plays at Mercer.
He grew up around lacrosse. Yes I know him - he coached my older son at LR. He knows the game and what it takes to win.

Greg Paradine would not give you a recommendation if he didn't believe you were ready for a head coaching job.

I havent talked to him, so I dont know all the facts on why he left - unless the season was going to be canceled anyway. He is young, but a lot of the D2 head coaches were assistants when they were hired as HC.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”