Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm
houndace1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 pm
laxfan#44 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm I'm sure the 2020 class will have some guys that could make an impact and contribute early...why not right?

You gotta believe that 3-4 guys every year can break in and get true field time...this past year it was Kamish, Poitras, and to a lesser extent James that broke through and played significant time and contributed. I'm sure the 2020 class will have someone break through...maybe multiples...you just never know until they get there and compete with upper classmen....

With that said, with the roster returning, earning spots will be tough...but competition is good...it drives everyone to get better...and if the older guys are not putting in the time...watch out, a young guy can steal time...and if it makes us better...then that is great...

Go Hounds!
I re-watched some of the games from the 2020 shortened season. The freshmen who got playing time in front of the sophomores-juniors include: Kamish, Poitras, James, Heuston, Sherwood. Taylor, Griffin, Teitelbaum in GK. That 8 of the 12 first years they brought into the program. I was noticing that while they did make some mistakes as first-years usually would, they made plays that either resulted in goals or an extra possession for the team. It's the little things that matter and these guys got those done/

This shows me that the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in these guys to build another foundation for the next couple years. The 2020 class has a lot of strong midfielders which was really needed for this year. I believe that with the longer offseason these freshmen and these incoming recruits have to develop their game, will ultimately improve the team for next year.

For all we know, next year could have the younger guys get a lot more playing time and contribute more. I'm excited about this prospective
I agree with everything that you say, but, IMO i think we will see a dramatically change in the offensive philosophy. It did not work this year. I think the coaching staff will review and see what worked and what did not. Our strength is our Attack but they are not Pat Spencer type of players. As i have said, they need help from the Middies to draw and dump to Olmstead and Lindley, they will be open. The goal is to find the Middies that can do that.
Is it better to have Olmstead start from behind the goal like what Spencer did? I remember in the rutgers game that he had more success doing wing dodges to get assists, then dodging from behind or up top.

Perhaps they run a middie like Poitras from behind since he did that a lot at Hill Academy in HS
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Based off what I know and have seen, the ‘20 class is largely made up of “hidden gems” which is of course the usual case with our classes nowadays. Aside from Staudt and maybe Higgins, the other guys haven’t gotten a ton of attention. Based off what I’ve seen and heard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Higgins, Daubert and Lindsey make an impact in year 1, with the first 2 being middies that seem to have a knack for drawing a slide. I could see them and then Staudt making a serious push for playing time come game 1. From what I’ve heard, the D guys are very impressive too but I imagine that it’ll be tough for them to see any serious time (McMulty, Campbell, Wyers, ect). The main thing that seems to stand out with this group is that they seem to address the athleticism concerns, especially on offense. Excited to see what changes Van makes over the next months, if any.
laxfan#44

Post by laxfan#44 »

Offensively speaking...

It will be interesting to see how the midfield shakes out...lots of pieces to work with. Assuming Swindell comes back, he is the anchor at midfield... Poitras is gonna be special IMO and is essentially a 4th attack on the field...then you get a more experienced James and Hueston...You have Wigley, Seay, and then Taylor could potentially make his mark as a sophomore...I would also agree, someone from the 2020 class will emerge in some role...big or small...

I have a feeling James is gonna have a breakout sophomore year...gut feeling

Olmstead, Lindley, and Kamish will have another year of practice together. Lindley knows his role...just finish and score...he does that well and in bunches...Olmstead is a team leader and will be counted on heavily again. The interesting development to watch will be what steps Kamish takes. He's the best athlete of the three, he's big, fast and has great feet...Olmstead was asked to be the primary ball carrier out of the gate this past year, but MVA was not afraid to put the ball in the hands of Kamish...he was able to dodge, create space and protect the ball. For a freshman on the big stage, he just seemed comfortable with the ball...

And again, you never know, the 2020 class could prove to have a young star...you just never know. The Hounds staff is one of the best, and they find talent in some non traditional places...look at James, Ohio Player of the Year, and Kamish, the Michigan player of the year...I am sure some of these incoming freshmen will stake a claim at playing time

Should be fun...I want lacrosse back...Go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 pm Based off what I know and have seen, the ‘20 class is largely made up of “hidden gems” which is of course the usual case with our classes nowadays. Aside from Staudt and maybe Higgins, the other guys haven’t gotten a ton of attention. Based off what I’ve seen and heard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Higgins, Daubert and Lindsey make an impact in year 1, with the first 2 being middies that seem to have a knack for drawing a slide. I could see them and then Staudt making a serious push for playing time come game 1. From what I’ve heard, the D guys are very impressive too but I imagine that it’ll be tough for them to see any serious time (McMulty, Campbell, Wyers, ect). The main thing that seems to stand out with this group is that they seem to address the athleticism concerns, especially on offense. Excited to see what changes Van makes over the next months, if any.
wait who's Campbell?

Daubert had reports saying that he plays really aggressive defense as a midfielder.
Lindsey reportedly has a great change of direction.
Higgins has an extremely hard shot when feet are set and on the run.

Did Staudt really get alot of hype? IL ranks him as a 4 star goalie with no write ups of how he did at any recruiting events
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxfan#44 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:11 pm Offensively speaking...

It will be interesting to see how the midfield shakes out...lots of pieces to work with. Assuming Swindell comes back, he is the anchor at midfield... Poitras is gonna be special IMO and is essentially a 4th attack on the field...then you get a more experienced James and Hueston...You have Wigley, Seay, and then Taylor could potentially make his mark as a sophomore...I would also agree, someone from the 2020 class will emerge in some role...big or small...

Olmstead, Lindley, and Kamish will have another year of practice together. Lindley knows his role...just finish and score...he does that well and in bunches...Olmstead is a team leader and will be counted on heavily again. The interesting development to watch will be what steps Kamish takes. He's the best athlete of the three, he's big, fast and has great feet...Olmstead was asked to be the primary ball carrier out of the gate this past year, but MVA was not afraid to put the ball in the hands of Kamish...he was able to dodge, create space and protect the ball. For a freshman on the big stage, he just seemed comfortable with the ball...

And again, you never know, the 2020 class could prove to have a young star...you just never know. The Hounds staff is one of the best, and they find talent in some non traditional places...look at James, Ohio Player of the Year, and Kamish, the Michigan player of the year...I am sure some of these incoming freshmen will stake a claim at playing time

What if Kamish is the ball carrier instead? To me, he looked a lot more comfortable carrying it than Olmstead. Olmstead may have high IQ but he turned the ball over too many times in this season
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:24 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 pm Based off what I know and have seen, the ‘20 class is largely made up of “hidden gems” which is of course the usual case with our classes nowadays. Aside from Staudt and maybe Higgins, the other guys haven’t gotten a ton of attention. Based off what I’ve seen and heard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Higgins, Daubert and Lindsey make an impact in year 1, with the first 2 being middies that seem to have a knack for drawing a slide. I could see them and then Staudt making a serious push for playing time come game 1. From what I’ve heard, the D guys are very impressive too but I imagine that it’ll be tough for them to see any serious time (McMulty, Campbell, Wyers, ect). The main thing that seems to stand out with this group is that they seem to address the athleticism concerns, especially on offense. Excited to see what changes Van makes over the next months, if any.
wait who's Campbell?

Daubert had reports saying that he plays really aggressive defense as a midfielder.

Did Staudt really get alot of hype? IL ranks him as a 4 star goalie with no write ups of how he did at any recruiting events
Don't sleep on Lindsey...tough kid who can finish with either hand especially when working from behind and also has excellent vision...he will emerge quickly, IMHO..
laxfan#44

Post by laxfan#44 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am

What if Kamish is the ball carrier instead? To me, he looked a lot more comfortable carrying it than Olmstead. Olmstead may have high IQ but he turned the ball over too many times in this season
Maybe...he did look comfortable and seemed to be getting even more settled. Bottom line is Kamish showed he can dodge from multiple locations (top, wing, x)...he showed he's smart with the ball, not careless which is big...and he's quick (good COD) and fast...and has size at 6'1 +. I personally think Olmstead will remain the captain of this offense, kid is tough, he's a leader, and he can produce...but the ceiling on Kamish might be very high...if he continues to work and progress

IMO, there will be a lot of pieces to work with...none are Pat Spencer, but it's unfair to keep using him as a comparison...you hear the NBA and college hoops people use the term positionless players...I think if you have versatility as a kid, that's gonna get you on the field...we now know what we have with Kamish and Poitras...two young guys with IMO high ceilings. Those two frankly are attackmen that would have no issues playing out of the box at middie...Poitras already proved that giving us essentially 4 attackers on the field. What if Lindsey (incoming attack) is good enough to play right away...he might be. Can he run out of the box? Wow...think of the versatility we could have. Positionless offensive guys....that's the ticket...if your a young attackman...you better be able to play both middie and attack...that's your fast track to playing time...

Everyone looks great on their high school film...the key is what will happen in the fall...we've got lots of young talent (including James, Taylor, Hueston to mention a few)...and I don't doubt the 2020 kids will challenge for PT as well...but time will tell

Lots of options, and the nice thing is competition is good...it will drive on field performance up :)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxfan#44 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:30 am
houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am

Maybe...he did look comfortable and seemed to be getting even more settled. Bottom line is Kamish showed he can dodge from multiple locations (top, wing, x)...he showed he's smart with the ball, not careless which is big...and he's quick (good COD) and fast...and has size at 6'1 +. I personally think Olmstead will remain the captain of this offense, kid is tough, he's a leader, and he can produce...but the ceiling on Kamish might be very high...if he continues to work and progress

IMO, there will be a lot of pieces to work with...none are Pat Spencer, but it's unfair to keep using him as a comparison...you hear the NBA and college hoops people use the term positionless players...I think if you have versatility as a kid, that's gonna get you on the field...we now know what we have with Kamish and Poitras...two young guys with IMO high ceilings. Those two frankly are attackmen that would have no issues playing out of the box at middie...Poitras already proved that giving us essentially 4 attackers on the field. What if Lindsey (incoming attack) is good enough to play right away...he might be. Can he run out of the box? Wow...think of the versatility we could have. Positionless offensive guys....that's the ticket...if your a young attackman...you better be able to play both middie and attack...that's your fast track to playing time...

Everyone looks great on their high school film...the key is what will happen in the fall...we've got lots of young talent (including James, Taylor, Hueston to mention a few)...and I don't doubt the 2020 kids will challenge for PT as well...but time will tell

Lots of options, and the nice thing is competition is good...it will drive on field performance up :)
Positionless guys sound great in theory, and it will be very good if these incoming guys can crack the offensive lineup since theres a big youth movement. Wigley, and Swindell are the only upperclassmen with experience (Cox and Swindell might come back which adds leadership) but alot of the others are unknown. Seay should be able to produce.

A bunch of the playmakers are freshmen/sophomores. Next year will be the same thing. I will also add that what if these guys develop their off hand? for example- Poitras would shake defenders frequently but would never shoot with his right hand. What if he does develop a strong right hand to shoot and pass with? Scary thought indeed
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

wait who's Campbell?

I’m sorry, *Hughes* not Campbell :lol: it was a long day yesterday. He should be really good, as long as he stays healthy. The D should be scary next yr. As far as Staudt goes, I have some friends who are from Upstate, and they are all pretty excited about him. I believe he was about to break John Galloway’s all time save record at WG this year. Out of the 3 O guys, the only one I’ve seen in person is Higgins-who I bet could also sees time next spring as long as he stays healthy. Also really excited to see Lindsey; we’ll have at least 2 athletic and crafty X attackmen w him and Kamish. Lastly, I look forward to watching the development of Najee from the midfield-he has the speed to draw a slide, might just need to put on a couple pounds
laxfan#44

Post by laxfan#44 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:08 pm
wait who's Campbell?

I’m sorry, *Hughes* not Campbell :lol: it was a long day yesterday. He should be really good, as long as he stays healthy. The D should be scary next yr. As far as Staudt goes, I have some friends who are from Upstate, and they are all pretty excited about him. I believe he was about to break John Galloway’s all time save record at WG this year. Out of the 3 O guys, the only one I’ve seen in person is Higgins-who I bet could also sees time next spring as long as he stays healthy. Also really excited to see Lindsey; we’ll have at least 2 athletic and crafty X attackmen w him and Kamish. Lastly, I look forward to watching the development of Najee from the midfield-he has the speed to draw a slide, might just need to put on a couple pounds
Agree...the defense should be VERY strong next year...and we are rock solid at the specialist group in the middle of the field with Savio and McNulty...really good.

Najee is an interesting one to keep an eye on...he does need a few pounds
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxfan#44 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:31 pm
wait who's Campbell?

Agree...the defense should be VERY strong next year...and we are rock solid at the specialist group in the middle of the field with Savio and McNulty...really good.

will these new FO rules help Bailey/Pacheco/Cottone though
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxfan#44

Post by laxfan#44 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:33 pm
laxfan#44 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:31 pm
wait who's Campbell?

will these new FO rules help Bailey/Pacheco/Cottone though
I have no idea...that's a wildcard...but my guess is that is a question every team should be asking right...
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Well my glass is half full today so I will opine that the new face off rules will be advantageous for the Hounds. Why? We have McNulty on the wing and if several of the seniors return ( Higgs, Boland, Benus and Swindell) that bodes well. I believe Savio puts a leg on the ground but I’m sure he can adapt. And if they double pole the face off watch out.

At any rate it might be more entertaining.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Vaikness is one of the best faceoff teachers in the game. We’ll be in better shape than most.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Where does everyone think we fit in regards to the rest of the patriot league (mostly army). Anything below the top 2 is a disappointment, but does Army lose a lot? Lehigh?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We’ll be in the hunt for the PL title next year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am Where does everyone think we fit in regards to the rest of the patriot league (mostly army). Anything below the top 2 is a disappointment, but does Army lose a lot? Lehigh?
Army loses their entire senior class because service academies do not coincide with the extra 5th year the NCAA gave to spring athletes.

That being said for this year's army team- they are losing: Manown, Silva, Dewitt, O'Brien which I believe are their top offensive threats sans Nichtern.
Never count Army out though, they might not get the best recruits but they know how to be a consistent top team with a great defense every single year.

Lehigh's seniors who got playing time i believe this year were: Pettit, Kirst, Klose, Pierce, Gaffney.

Pettit is not returning and neither is Kirst I think. Gaffney i'm not too sure - but Lehigh loses a couple of good contributors but will remain their core for next year.

Loyola will be in the hunt like what Kramerica said with what we have coming back and basing it off of how we did in this shortened season.

DO not sleep on Holy Cross. They have been making great strides in the PL with their new coach
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am Where does everyone think we fit in regards to the rest of the patriot league (mostly army). Anything below the top 2 is a disappointment, but does Army lose a lot? Lehigh?
Army loses their entire senior class because service academies do not coincide with the extra 5th year the NCAA gave to spring athletes.

That being said for this year's army team- they are losing: Manown, Silva, Dewitt, O'Brien which I believe are their top offensive threats sans Nichtern.
Never count Army out though, they might not get the best recruits but they know how to be a consistent top team with a great defense every single year.

Lehigh's seniors who got playing time i believe this year were: Pettit, Kirst, Klose, Pierce, Gaffney.

Pettit is not returning and neither is Kirst I think. Gaffney i'm not too sure - but Lehigh loses a couple of good contributors but will remain their core for next year.

Loyola will be in the hunt like what Kramerica said with what we have coming back and basing it off of how we did in this shortened season.

DO not sleep on Holy Cross. They have been making great strides in the PL with their new coach
Preseason Rankings IMO 2021
Loyola
Lehigh
Navy
Bucknell
Army
BC
HC
Colgate
Laf
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Lenwood117 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am

Preseason Rankings IMO 2021
Loyola
Lehigh
Navy
Bucknell
Army
BC
HC
Colgate
Laf
I'd put Navy at #2 solely on how strong their recruiting class is for 2020. They brought in two 5 stars and leapfrogged the top spot ahead of UMD, Duke, Hopkins and the big names. With Amplo as their new coach, i say they can be a preseason favorite to win it as well. I would move army to the 3/4 spot as well. Bucknell lost a lot due to graduation, and their 5th year impact guys transferred to another program for grad school.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:22 am
wait who's Campbell?

Don't sleep on Lindsey...tough kid who can finish with either hand especially when working from behind and also has excellent vision...he will emerge quickly, IMHO..
Thanks for the note Bart. I just watched several highlight tapes of him. He's versatile not only from the wing but he can dodge from behind the goal and throws nifty through passes when doing so. I saw a couple of off ball flashes that he made that resulted in goals and nice riding to get ground balls.

The 3 things that stands out to me the most is :

1.his creativity to use his frame when dodging to create separation from his defender. A lot of these are not speed dodges, they're mainly split dodges and then rocker steps, with question mark dodges thrown in but he really gets a lot of separation

2. He's adept with both hands which is great. When he shoots left handed its mainly around the crease or well placed shots from a couple feet out. My god though his right hand when his feet are set just blisters the corners of the goal.

3. This kid throws some very nifty on the money star passes when he moves from behind the cage to the wings to survey the field. They're not even overhand star passes, he's chucking these frozen ropes underhand with his back to this teammate who is on the other side of the field. He's very good at getting assists from different spots on the field and his vision to see cracks in the defense is impressive.

Make this kid a starter for the first 6 guys on the field. maybe run him first out of the box. Bottom line- this kid will be good and can very well be a good X attackmen/ or midfielder that can flow with Olmstead, Lindley and Kamish
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”