NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by Can Opener »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:45 am Inside Lacrosse posted this piece about Jon Thompson over the weekend:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56398

Interesting read. Obviously, it's an opinion piece but certainly thought provoking. Have to assume Amherst will be making an announcement of a new HC sometime soon. Haven't heard much in the rumor mill about the search. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
To be clear, what the guys did in that common room was really stupid and offensive, even if the worst version of the story wasn't correct. I have yet to see even a "worst version of the story" that explains why JT should have been fired. The quotes in the IL story from a lacrosse alum of color were very powerful. By all accounts he was an exemplary coach and leader of men in a politically sensitive environment. My very naive hope is that coaches band together and agree not to apply for his job. It would be nice to see some peer pressure not to become a scab and cross the picket line. Thoughtful coaching prospects would be wise to take a "there but for the grace of God goes I" approach. He may not want to ever return to Amherst, but I hope that becomes an option. I am reminded of the case of the UVA President a few years ago who was fired by a kooky board and then re-instated shortly thereafter. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/maga ... uster.html

Short of reinstatement, I hope JT lands on his feet with a head coaching position again soon.

Naive but hopeful.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Jack Donohue is returning to Tufts next year as a grad student. Very interesting. I know Middlebury has Bread Loaf for writing and language schools for masters, but those are either summer programs or done abroad. Do any other NESCAC school offer grad programs? If nobody else can do this I feel like the other schools would look to close this loophole pretty darn fast.

Since I posted it looks like Treiber is returning as well. Heck, maybe they'll land Minicus and Hoffman as well. :lol:

https://twitter.com/TuftsLacrosse/statu ... 6526755842
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

gbj_bcr wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm Tufts just announced at least one of its graduating seniors will return next season while pursuing a maters degree (see Tufts Lacrosse instagram) - Slap in the face to the other institutions that do not have the same ability. If other players follow suit, the Jumbos could be having themselves a 60 man roster, factoring in the recent Amherst deco's. Glad they are continuing to put the "small college" in NESCAC!

I'm all for more opportunities for these seniors who have lost their year to return, but it makes you wonder if the floodgates have opened and perhaps some of the mid-tier D1 transfer players will choose Tufts over a patriot league school as their Master's destination.

Is this fair?
Hey numbnuts. do your research first and understand that tufts cant take fifth year transfers for sports. If we're talking about fitting into the nescac too then maybe hamilton shouldnt be in the conference since theyre way up in Clinton, ny. of course, nobody would really miss them would they. Also, hilarious that you also think there are an abundance of masters programs in the Patriot League that guys would like to pursue. nothing like an old man/woman getting mad that kids get to do another year of schooling at one of the top institutions in the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
smoova

Post by smoova »

pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am
gbj_bcr wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm Tufts just announced at least one of its graduating seniors will return next season while pursuing a maters degree (see Tufts Lacrosse instagram) - Slap in the face to the other institutions that do not have the same ability. If other players follow suit, the Jumbos could be having themselves a 60 man roster, factoring in the recent Amherst deco's. Glad they are continuing to put the "small college" in NESCAC!

I'm all for more opportunities for these seniors who have lost their year to return, but it makes you wonder if the floodgates have opened and perhaps some of the mid-tier D1 transfer players will choose Tufts over a patriot league school as their Master's destination.

Is this fair?
Hey numbnuts. do your research first and understand that tufts cant take fifth year transfers for sports. If we're talking about fitting into the nescac too then maybe hamilton shouldnt be in the conference since theyre way up in Clinton, ny. of course, nobody would really miss them would they. Also, hilarious that you also think there are an abundance of masters programs in the Patriot League that guys would like to pursue. nothing like an old man/woman getting mad that kids get to do another year of schooling at one of the top institutions in the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leaving the unnecessary personal snide aside, what do you mean when you write that Tufts can't take 5th year transfers for sports? The kids he is talking about are kids who were seniors at a D1 school this year. They are graduating but are getting an extra year of sport/lax eligibility. They would therefore enroll at Tufts for a graduate program and play lax for a year. If Tufts is not allowing that it would certainly be news to me and probably to everyone else on here as well.
gbj_bcr

Post by gbj_bcr »

baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am

Is this fair?
Numbnuts! Didn't know a question posed from a 23 year old could tick you off like that. Maybe you should find a hobby or two, because this clearly is aggravating you way more than it should have (perhaps take an aspirin as well, or even one of those new CBD gummies!).

All joking aside, even if outside players do not transfer in, this means that for the next four years tufts will have the ability to retain players for periods that the other schools do not. If some of them did not play as freshmen, the current sophomores (about to become juniors) may have the ability to play 4 more years there if they choose to pursue a 2 year masters degree. No one is saying these kids shouldn't be able to pursue another year at a great institution, but should they be able to play when other conference members do not offer this opportunity. I wanted to know if others think its fair to tilt the NESCAC athletic power dynamic in Tufts favor? Seems to me like they are getting an advantage; we don't let one school have fall ball while the others do not. Is this similar?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:45 am Inside Lacrosse posted this piece about Jon Thompson over the weekend:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56398

Interesting read. Obviously, it's an opinion piece but certainly thought provoking. Have to assume Amherst will be making an announcement of a new HC sometime soon. Haven't heard much in the rumor mill about the search. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
Interesting read indeed. Knowing the environment at Amherst and reading several more credulous accounts of this incident, it is a lot easier to believe Thompson was thrown out on a rail than that there was some culture of intolerance that he was abetting (at Amherst of all places!). I believe that the additional info that has come out has made it much more likely that he will ultimately land on his feet. However, the taint cannot be so easily removed and I think it will take some time before he is hired for anything close to a prominent position. He will have to start with whatever is available and work his way back up. This accent may well be fairly quick but for his initial foray back into coaching he will not have the luxury of being picky.
This is a good read too:

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-34048451

It wouldn't surprise me if Biddy is looking to trim athletics at Amherst, with the goal of making it an easier decision to ax all sports there.

No experienced coach in their right mind would want that job with the way Thompson was railroaded.

Expect a younger, less-experienced person to get the nod. Gotta be young, dumb and hungry to jump into that frying pan.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

That article makes some good points but is also bizarre as hell in parts. I mean...

"The 68-year-old educator was born and raised near Lynchburg, Va., and was the third in the family to be named Carolyn. Grandmother Carolyn was nicknamed Buck, mother Carolyn was nicknamed Boolie, and daughter Carolyn was nicknamed Biddy."

That literally made me laugh out loud, but I'm not sure the intent. The NESCAC is loaded with old-money WASPs. Is it surprising that the president of Amherst is one as well?
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 pm That article makes some good points but is also bizarre as hell in parts. I mean...

"The 68-year-old educator was born and raised near Lynchburg, Va., and was the third in the family to be named Carolyn. Grandmother Carolyn was nicknamed Buck, mother Carolyn was nicknamed Boolie, and daughter Carolyn was nicknamed Biddy."

That literally made me laugh out loud, but I'm not sure the intent. The NESCAC is loaded with old-money WASPs. Is it surprising that the president of Amherst is one as well?
Clearly, you don’t know Virginia. Whatever criticisms one has of Biddy Martin - being an old-money WASP is not one of them. The area around Lynchburg is known for born-again Christians (thanks to the Falwell connection) and lower end chain store and restaurants. Hardly, old-money material. If you want to find old money WASPs in the Old Dominion, you’ll need to look in the well-to-do areas around Richmond and the DC suburbs.

And for what it’s worth, I am sure Biddy Martin does not care a whit about what trolls like us post on fanlax.com.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Either way, the author was trying to get at something with that paragraph. That's why I found it bizarre.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

No one really knows the whole story, but I would imagine there are plenty of candidates...great school and a great job. JT will land on his feet, but he isn't the first(see Mike Pressler) and won't be the last coach fired for poor decisions made by some players....in today's PC world, nothing surprises me anymore.
RhinoEph

Post by RhinoEph »

Re: the Tufts returners it does seem like an advantage Tufts has over the rest of the NESCAC. Some other schools have small grad programs. I.e. Williams has art history and Midd has language programs. But with the Ivy League taking a hard line on this issue it seems odd the NESCAC isn’t also. The NESCAC is like the DIII Ivy equivalent. Especially since many, if not most, other schools can’t do what Tufts is doing. I wonder if other teams will grumble? They definitely might if Hoffman or other transfers end up there too.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Current NESCAC player. I might be wrong but I think the rule states that grad students can only use their final year of eligibility to play at their undergrad institutions, so anyone who wants to play a fifth year at Tufts would’ve had to gone there for at least some part of undergrad. Also, from what I’ve seen there really isn’t a “if you can’t beat em, join em” attitude in the conference so even if kids could go there they probably would rather go D1.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

bighoss74 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am Current NESCAC player. I might be wrong but I think the rule states that grad students can only use their final year of eligibility to play at their undergrad institutions, so anyone who wants to play a fifth year at Tufts would’ve had to gone there for at least some part of undergrad. Also, from what I’ve seen there really isn’t a “if you can’t beat em, join em” attitude in the conference so even if kids could go there they probably would rather go D1.
Welcome bighoss, nice to see current players on here. Unless there is some specific NESCAC rule you are referencing, players who are using their extra year by enrolling in grad school are free to go anywhere. This is why there has been a feeding frenzy around Ivy players as those schools are, in the main, not allowing players a 5th year. As I understand it this will be an issue for the next 3 years after this. A freshman this year at, say, Brown will get a 5th year of sports eligibility in 3 years when he graduates and will be able to go anywhere for it. One of several reasons I think the NCAA’s well intended response to the spring sports cancellation was misguided. As for the second part, I absolutely agree with that. I would be very surprised to see CAC players enrolling at Tufts and playing against their own schools and teammates. Not impossible but for someone like Hoffman or Minicus who, coming from Williams and Amherst could go anywhere academically and who have the games to play virtually anywhere, I would be shocked to see them not go D1. It is a buyers market however and they are competing with dozens and dozens of transferring existing D1 players so they may not have the degree of luxury of choice they may otherwise have had.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Sorry, forgot to be more specific. It’s a rule specific to NESCAC, or I guess just Tufts and Wesleyan. Can’t think of any grad players off the top of my head, but I’m sure it’s happened before
nehslaxfan

Re: NESCAC 2

Post by nehslaxfan »

It seems like it has the potential to be a bigger issue because of the current scenario but that is temporary as once the current classes work there way through the system it should become a non issue. But for the short term it appears the few Nescac schools that offer a grad studies program could be at an advantage. Will be interesting if you see others especially the freshman/sophomores decide to do dual degree or space out there studies to take advantage of the opportunity to play a 5th year. In the Ivy League Ierland was able to play because he had transferred. Will others take gap years or skip semesters? What if classes are online this coming fall? Will some chose to skip the semester and then go back allowing them to play an additional season to graduate? I know as a parent the thought of paying over $25,000 in tuition for an online semester isn’t the most appealing? Plus with the current job market I think pushing out entry into that job market may be a prudent decision for some if not most kids. Definitely lots of things to consider with far reaching implications.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

The most non-surprising news of the hiring cycle is now official: https://www.camelathletics.com/sports/m ... 0514lr5grj
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

Just got word Jack Raba is transferring from Loyola to Wesleyan. This is a great pick up for Wesleyan and he will be a big time factor in the conference. I would think getting the extra year probably made the decision an easy one.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Besides Wesleyan with Raba whatever schools have helped themselves the most with transfers and new recruits?
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

From Terry Foy (CEO at Inside Lacrosse)'s twitter last night:

"@TerenceFoy:
Progress in the @AmherstLacrosse coaching search: an offer has been made that multiple sources expect to be accepted, potentially finalized by Friday."

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”