Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Drcthru »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:06 pm
Drcthru wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:17 pm Boy, if you want to see a whole new clusterf@ck developing, look at what’s going on at UVa and Charlottesville now:

https://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2 ... tine-walls

First they came for the statues... now they are going after TJ’s walls.

Trivia Question: Why did I bring the serpentine walls up here on this Hopkins thread?
I can't answer that question, but can you answer the question, why are they serpentine?
it says it in the article, but tj did it to conserve bricks. one brick thick serpentined uses fewer bricks than 2 brick thick walls straight. still standing, too, maybe stronger?

as far as why serpentine belongs on a hop thread... that's easy, hopkins is tijata.
:D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Maybe already discussed a dozen pages ago...but Paul Rabil's latest podcast (with Matt Rambo) had some serious vinegar in it about the Hop coaching situation. Don't know how representative he is of the lacrosse alumni, but it seemed like he wasn't just speaking for himself about it. Loyalty is a layered concept....to the coach, to your teammates, to the program, and to the university. Do you all have a sense about how the lacrosse alumni feel about the hire?
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm Then you have no idea how university presidents function.
Of course you're right, Professor. We all know that there's no such thing as a little man in a big job. (I think I learned that in college, but I must have forgot it.)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 am Maybe already discussed a dozen pages ago...but Paul Rabil's latest podcast (with Matt Rambo) had some serious vinegar in it about the Hop coaching situation. Don't know how representative he is of the lacrosse alumni, but it seemed like he wasn't just speaking for himself about it. Loyalty is a layered concept....to the coach, to your teammates, to the program, and to the university. Do you all have a sense about how the lacrosse alumni feel about the hire?
you could say the group largely reflects that attitude. a large % played with or for him, are tight and have been his most loyal allies.

players who came before him and others that are fans and supporters of the program have been made up those waiting and working for a change.

it's not black and white of course, but suffice that PM doesn't have the former group in his pocket like petro did. that could spell trouble down the line but it's early. will he give them a win with an asst hire? will he win them over? players coming or going from portal ? fast pace?

have heard cornell players were fans of PM, maybe the team can be his first win.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 am Maybe already discussed a dozen pages ago...but Paul Rabil's latest podcast (with Matt Rambo) had some serious vinegar in it about the Hop coaching situation. Don't know how representative he is of the lacrosse alumni, but it seemed like he wasn't just speaking for himself about it. Loyalty is a layered concept....to the coach, to your teammates, to the program, and to the university. Do you all have a sense about how the lacrosse alumni feel about the hire?
Rambo (drunk) is quite a character. Rabil alleges Petro's downfall was due to the ad micromanaging the program the last 4 years. Rambo's theory is that petro put the program on the map. It starts w/8 left.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 0473012399
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 am
Rambo (drunk) is quite a character. Rabil alleges Petro's downfall was due to the ad micromanaging the program the last 4 years. Rambo's theory is that petro put the program on the map. It starts w/8 left.

It is obvious that Rabil doesn't approve getting rid of Petro. Not sure what he meant by administration giving Petro more space to do his thing.

Rambo is for sure colorful and says you gotta be who you are.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

caught last 8 min. are either or both these guys hammered?
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 am caught last 8 min. are either or both these guys hammered?
First minute you can hear their glasses clicking with ice cubes/stirring and both saying they were drinking "makers" . This was an hour later, so they were probably feeling no pain by then.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Is Rambo ever not hammered?

For what it's worth, I know a few of these "Petro loyalists" (they played for him), and while they are definitely disappointed to see him go, they don't seem to be quite as upset as Rabil. The wound is still fresh and will take some time to heal, though I think many of these guys will eventually come around and support Milliman and what he's trying to do here. They'd be selfish not to. But ultimately we all know it comes down to winning. If PM wins, none of this is going to matter. I just hope people give him a few years to institute his plan. It seems to have paid off for Virginia. Unfortunately I think there will be a contingent that starts whining again the second he loses a game, because that's just what they do no matter who is in charge or what the circumstances are.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Some of the “greats” represent the program with class. Some do not. I would argue using social media while intoxicated to run down the program is a terrible look and as a business “executive” PR should know better
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chuckman wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:25 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 am caught last 8 min. are either or both these guys hammered?
First minute you can hear their glasses clicking with ice cubes/stirring and both saying they were drinking "makers" . This was an hour later, so they were probably feeling no pain by then.
huh. that's all cool and all and they're marketing, laxbro, adults, you be you.
maybe not the best image given everything but i'll leave that for someone else elsewhere.

the part @ the end about being professional to take the sport higher after f-bombing and makers, yada, sounded just a bit... i guess there's a lot of words we could use.

but hey, have it all!!!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"I feel sorry for you (that Hopkins is not a part of final four weekend anymore)" "when was your last title". Rambo savagely plucking blue jay feathers to the delight of 71 other d1 fan bases.

Thought it was great. Would've listened to more of the terp/hop rival stories/libation enhanced sh-t talking.
DMac

Post by DMac »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am Some of the “greats” represent the program with class. Some do not. I would argue using social media while intoxicated to run down the program is a terrible look and as a business “executive” PR should know better
Bravo!!! Wiser men would turn the mic off while sipping alcohol and smack talking, a couple of minutes was plenty enough for me (never been a Rabil fan to begin with, not any moreso after that broadcast).
Petro put Hop on the map? Sounds like idiotic drunk talk to me. Yes, a great player, but hardly the person who put Hop on the map. Seems to me as if they were "on the map" long before Petro ever stepped on campus.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DMac wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:38 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am Some of the “greats” represent the program with class. Some do not. I would argue using social media while intoxicated to run down the program is a terrible look and as a business “executive” PR should know better
Bravo!!! Wiser men would turn the mic off while sipping alcohol and smack talking, a couple of minutes was plenty enough for me (never been a Rabil fan to begin with, not any moreso after that broadcast).
Petro put Hop on the map? Sounds like idiotic drunk talk to me. Yes, a great player, but hardly the person who put Hop on the map. Seems to me as if they were "on the map" long before Petro ever stepped on campus.
And Petro said as much in one of his recent interviews, specifically crediting Chic and Fred Smith.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 am

A lot of UVA folks were very disappointed with Starsia getting pushed out, but the National Championship salved those wounds. If Milliman can turn the ship around, the alumni will re-embark. Division I college coaching is a very tough profession, though -- takes a lot of moral fortitude to absorb the slings and arrows and keep on keeping on. Here's hoping Petro has a great second act.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:27 am Is Rambo ever not hammered?

For what it's worth, I know a few of these "Petro loyalists" (they played for him), and while they are definitely disappointed to see him go, they don't seem to be quite as upset as Rabil. The wound is still fresh and will take some time to heal, though I think many of these guys will eventually come around and support Milliman and what he's trying to do here. They'd be selfish not to. But ultimately we all know it comes down to winning. If PM wins, none of this is going to matter. I just hope people give him a few years to institute his plan. It seems to have paid off for Virginia. Unfortunately I think there will be a contingent that starts whining again the second he loses a game, because that's just what they do no matter who is in charge or what the circumstances are.
I think if Coach Milliman can put a competitive team on the field next spring, the fans and alumni will be happy. The team we saw this year was not competitive. They couldn't clear, they couldn't get groundballs, and they didn't seem to care. I don't think anyone can legitimately complain about a change after a 2-4 season when the Jays got blown off the field in the four losses. It was painful to watch to be honest.

I think by 2022, Coach probably needs to start winning. The last two non-Hopkins coaches we had, Seaman and Haus, did not turn out so well. Although it's not fair, he's got that legacy to overcome. It would help if he hires at least one assistant with a Hopkins background. The AD does not want to suffer complaining alumni who refuse to support the program. I'm sure that PM knew when he took the job that it was going to be a demanding one. He seems like someone who has been an underdog all his life, and has had to work for everything he's ever gotten. Nothing's been given to him. He should just put his head down and do his thing and put the best team on the field he possibly can. Focus on that and alumni support will be on his side. Hopkins fans know this sport and if you put a bad product on the field the Coach will be called out on it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 pmHe should just put his head down and do his thing and put the best team on the field he possibly can.
That is exactly what I expect him to do.

And by the way, Happy Birthday! to PM. He turns 42 today.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:53 am
DMac wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:38 am
And Petro said as much in one of his recent interviews, specifically crediting Chic and Fred Smith.
Hop has been on the lacrosse map since the 1890s.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm when do you guys think you'll be discussing asst candidates from the other 70+ schools?
viewtopic.php?p=142393#p142393
thanks. i knew there was a post on one of these threads somewhere, but i couldn't remember where.
Adding to this list of non-alum assistant ideas. On the defensive side:
Travis Crane (Ohio State)
Mike Horowitz (St. Joe's)

As of 22 hours ago Jamison Koesterer was still tweeting passionately about UMBC lacrosse so unless he's playing his cards very close to the vest I'm not sure he's gonna be the guy.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:27 am Unfortunately I think there will be a contingent that starts whining again the second he loses a game, because that's just what they do no matter who is in charge or what the circumstances are.
I think if Coach Milliman can put a competitive team on the field next spring, the fans and alumni will be happy. The team we saw this year was not competitive.

I think by 2022, Coach probably needs to start winning. The last two non-Hopkins coaches we had, Seaman and Haus, did not turn out so well. Although it's not fair, he's got that legacy to overcome. It would help if he hires at least one assistant with a Hopkins background.
The timing may be right for Milliman.
Penn State, they’ve taken some hits, tough to see where they don’t level off from their high point of 2019.
So that opens up a slot within the B1G for Milliman and the team to fill, they have the talent.
Rutgers ?
They’ve fallen back.
Ohio State ?
Good talent, but ...

Definitely, it seems to me, an opportunity, an opening for Milliman.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”