All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

RedFromMI

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm Results from coronavirus antibody tests have started to trickle in, and they bolster the consensus among disease experts that the virus is significantly more lethal than seasonal flu and has seeded the most disruptive pandemic in the last century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/a ... story.html

DocBarrister
Lethality rate is still at or above a half percent, which is about five times that of the flu. And you get behind on cases, and then don't know completely how to treat - lots of people get killed.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm Results from coronavirus antibody tests have started to trickle in, and they bolster the consensus among disease experts that the virus is significantly more lethal than seasonal flu and has seeded the most disruptive pandemic in the last century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/a ... story.html

DocBarrister
Lethality rate is still at or above a half percent, which is about five times that of the flu. And you get behind on cases, and then don't know completely how to treat - lots of people get killed.
But as infectious disease experts point out, even a seemingly low rate can translate into a shockingly large death toll if the virus spreads through a major portion of the population.

Yes.... not everyone will get the flue and it is not as lethal..... more people can catch this and it is more lethal..... assume it is no more lethal than the flu but if 50,000,000 people contract the flu but 150,000,000 catches COVID 19, which will result in more deaths? It is basic common sense. What we are hoping for is that this is far less lethal than the flu...... 50,000 deaths in one month is nothing to sneeze at.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
RedFromMI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm Easy, NY was hit early and hard and didn't have enough PPE for medical staff in hospitals, much less for anyone else, given the enormous increase in usage.

Florida came much later and received PPE on time. Helped to be a Trumpist on the latter, former was just luck.

That's why those 'missing 6 weeks' of not cranking up PPE production, testing, etc are so important and to have a national distribution system instead of states bidding against one another. We needed far more than we had. Still do.
There does seem to be some definite favoritism at work with Trump and his administration (especially Kushner) on sending out any help. In my opinion it rises to a criminal level, but it would be difficult to prosecute given the bent of Barr's DOJ and the propensity of Trump to cover anything unfavorable up.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump has to check to see if he warned in January.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm Easy, NY was hit early and hard and didn't have enough PPE for medical staff in hospitals, much less for anyone else, given the enormous increase in usage.

Florida came much later and received PPE on time. Helped to be a Trumpist on the latter, former was just luck.

That's why those 'missing 6 weeks' of not cranking up PPE production, testing, etc are so important and to have a national distribution system instead of states bidding against one another. We needed far more than we had. Still do.
The fact that the gubmint was caught with their pants around their ankles seems to surprise you. I know enough about how slow the procurement channels work in DC that it would not have mattered who the POTUS was. The POTUS could demand anything become top priority. You think the underlings, especially if they dislike a POTUS are honestly going to work any faster? POTUS screwed this up but there was no bright shining light anywhere around here in the world of Washington DC. It took people like a Fan to grab the bull by the horns and make up for the short comings of the federal government. The people of the USA are the ones who have bailed out their incompetent leadership. Our leaders screwed the pooch on many levels. The monday morning quarterbacking should wait until somebody, somewhere, somehow get this entire sh***y mess under control.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:26 pm

The fact that the gubmint was caught with their pants around their ankles seems to surprise you. I know enough about how slow the procurement channels work in DC that it would not have mattered who the POTUS was. The POTUS could demand anything become top priority. You think the underlings, especially if they dislike a POTUS are honestly going to work any faster? POTUS screwed this up but there was no bright shining light anywhere around here in the world of Washington DC. It took people like a Fan to grab the bull by the horns and make up for the short comings of the federal government. The people of the USA are the ones who have bailed out their incompetent leadership. Our leaders screwed the pooch on many levels. The monday morning quarterbacking should wait until somebody, somewhere, somehow get this entire sh***y mess under control.
NO - failure to hold this administration's feet to the fire just allows it to get worse. Trump could have been a true leader, but was so damned afraid of messing up the stock market that he refused to things in his power that needed to be done as time was of the essence (and still is).
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

No. This is only the third inning. Republican Senators need to tell Trump to resign or be reimpeached and then put a grownup in charge of this response and reopening. What’s General Petraeus doing? Or Admiral Stavrides?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:20 pm

There does seem to be some definite favoritism at work with Trump and his administration (especially Kushner) on sending out any help. In my opinion it rises to a criminal level, but it would be difficult to prosecute given the bent of Barr's DOJ and the propensity of Trump to cover anything unfavorable up.
do you guys have a link for either of these pov? that is... florida got favored help, new york didn't and that directly led to x bad outcome.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

It was in all the papers down here in Florida. We had 100% of our request and more was on the way. What? It wasn’t like that everywhere?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hypocrisy, much?

Well, no real surprise.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:31 pm

NO - failure to hold this administration's feet to the fire just allows it to get worse. Trump could have been a true leader, but was so damned afraid of messing up the stock market that he refused to things in his power that needed to be done as time was of the essence (and still is).
I understand your point and I don't disagree with it. I am not an expert on how government works but I do know one thing. The government responds to emergencies the same way the Titanic responded to that iceberg. They are too big and too slow to ever be able to make the turn in time. The BHO people were given months of warning about the dangers in Benghazi and they did nothing. The Trump people were given ample warning about what COVID might do to the country. Nobody in government no matter the party ever wants to deal with the worst case scenario. They will always dick f**k around looking for an easier way around the problem. That is how our government works. They are scared s***less about being the boy who cried wolf and getting it wrong from the start.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:49 pm

I understand your point and I don't disagree with it. I am not an expert on how government works but I do know one thing. The government responds to emergencies the same way the Titanic responded to that iceberg. They are too big and too slow to ever be able to make the turn in time. The BHO people were given months of warning about the dangers in Benghazi and they did nothing. The Trump people were given ample warning about what COVID might do to the country. Nobody in government no matter the party ever wants to deal with the worst case scenario. They will always dick f**k around looking for an easier way around the problem. That is how our government works. They are scared s***less about being the boy who cried wolf and getting it wrong from the start.
Here we go with Benghazi :lol: :lol:

When are we going to see Trump sit down and answer some questions? She has balls...
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 pm

do you guys have a link for either of these pov? that is... florida got favored help, new york didn't and that directly led to x bad outcome.
Trump and Cuomo may be 2 of the biggest jackwagons in politics. When it comes to the response to COVID from the federal government Trump gave King Andy everything he asked him for. They did not see eye to eye all the time, but trump gave Andy what he asked for as fast as possible. They are both from Queens but they are regardless of how much they dislike each other New Yorkers. I don't like either person but I am grateful they to some degree were able to work together.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

:D
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm Clear as mud:

Funny! :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for those links, wgdsr... :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:44 pm It was in all the papers down here in Florida. We had 100% of our request and more was on the way. What? It wasn’t like that everywhere?

'all the papers'... Seems like some Heaven's Gate Hale-Bopp kids escaped and lived to see another day!

:lol: :lol:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/m ... ncna895471
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I gather Trump was supposed to be the Governor of NY as well, until he isn't needed of course. Here for the narrative anyway! :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:55 pm

That was not my point TLD. I knew one of the usual jackwagons here would not understand. I hope I can splain it for you in simple enough terms for you to comprehend. I was comparing the intelligence failure where BHOs folks IGNORED the threats being made in Benghazi. I was comparing that to the intelligence failure Trump made in the COVID screwup. It was not about what happened in Benghazi. It was about what happens when any POTUS ignores the critical information being given to them by people that understand the situation. I hope you understand now? I tried to make it clear enough for you and your self portrait. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm

That was not my point TLD. I knew one of the usual jackwagons here would not understand. I hope I can splain it for you in simple enough terms for you to comprehend. I was comparing the intelligence failure where BHOs folks IGNORED the threats being made in Benghazi. I was comparing that to the intelligence failure Trump made in the COVID screwup. It was not about what happened in Benghazi. It was about what happens when any POTUS ignores the critical information being given to them by people that understand the situation. I hope you understand now? I tried to make it clear enough for you and your self portrait. ;)
More false equivalency.... Find a better comp....we have 50,000 people dead in a month and have lost trillions in economic value......looking for WMD’s is a more fitting analogy....chuck wagon is a better descriptor
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:25 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm

More false equivalency.... Find a better comp....we have 50,000 people dead in a month and have lost trillions in economic value......looking for WMD’s is a more fitting analogy....chuck wagon is a better descriptor
You think if Trump had gone all in all this would have been avoided? It is not about a false anything. It is about what happens when you ignore what your smart people are telling you. GWB screw up is a valid comparison also. Why was his screwup even possible... 9/11/2001 is why. America was all pissed off. It is alot easier to motivate people to do what you want when they are angry. The point is not about body count, the point is what happens when you either ignore or delay the information given you. Sometimes 4 people die, sometimes 50 thousand people die. COVID blindsided the entire world. Woulda, shoulda, coulda is easy to say now. We are all Monday morning quarterbacks. Every monday morning I always know what my Buffalo Bills did to lose the game. It is so much easier to understand what went wrong after the game has been played.

Return to “POLITICS”