Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by FMUBart »

Wow! Really interesting, given his brief time as a HC. Best of luck Pete! Maybe JHU needs an upstater to get back on the map! Just happy Raymond(another upstater, btw) is staying at Hobart. Petro back to Cornell -- doubtful, but nothing is surprising anymore!
NOLAXBRO

Post by NOLAXBRO »

Hello Coach Milliman!
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

Congrats to Coach Milliman if true. A tremendous honor.

The question now becomes the rest of the staff.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:09 pm Underwhelming.

Nads is a better coach. Surprised they couldn't or wouldn't get him outta Towson.
Agreed. HC at Pfeiffer, volunteer coach, to HC at THE Johns Hopkins in 7 years... God Bless America

Best of luck
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:16 pm Wow! Really interesting, given his brief time as a HC. Best of luck Pete! Maybe JHU needs an upstater to get back on the map! Just happy Raymond(another upstater, btw) is staying at Hobart. Petro back to Cornell -- doubtful, but nothing is surprising anymore!
because of his background raymond had no shot at this job in a new woke era. Millman, a non alum and former employee of the ad is a pure power move from ad/president asserting control over the program and shot at the jhu lax alumni fraternity. Total break from the past. The days of nostalgia/the old boys club, videos of Rabil throwing up his feet and reliving 2005-2008 are over.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:09 pm Underwhelming.

Nads is a better coach. Surprised they couldn't or wouldn't get him outta Towson.
Nads is great, but how do we know if he's "better" than Milliman? Milliman went 13-5 and made the NCAA quarterfinals in his first year as head coach and in his third year, was 5-0 and ranked in the top 3. And that was coming off a very underwhelming period for Cornell lacrosse prior to his promotion to head coach.

Still digesting this news...initial reaction is I think it's pretty exciting.
Pretty simple for me. Who would I have rather seen my team play against, a Nads coached team or a Milliman one? Having seen both up close, I'd rather my team play against a Milliman-coached team. Milliman will recruit well like he did at Cornell. Will he win big games at Hop? He didn't at Cornell even with a generational talent in Teat. His lack of in-game adjustments was noticeable. Maybe he would have broken through this year. Had Cornell playing with real toughness. Still, as a Terp fan, seeing Nads on the sideline at Homewood would not have been good.
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:23 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:16 pm Wow! Really interesting, given his brief time as a HC. Best of luck Pete! Maybe JHU needs an upstater to get back on the map! Just happy Raymond(another upstater, btw) is staying at Hobart. Petro back to Cornell -- doubtful, but nothing is surprising anymore!
because of his background raymond had no shot at this job in a new woke era. Millman, a non alum and former employee of the ad is a pure power move from ad/president asserting control over the program and shot at the jhu lax alumni fraternity. Total break from the past. The days of nostalgia/the old boys club, videos of Rabil throwing up his feet and reliving 2005-2008 are over.
Out of curiosity, would you consider this to be a good or bad move for the future of the program?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:23 pmTotal break from the past.
As an alumnus and someone who has been going to games since Seaman was the coach (which is longer than some but not as long as many others), let me be the first one to say won't no one care if he wins.

Good Luck Coach M
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:23 pm Total break from the past. The days of nostalgia/the old boys club are over.
Maybe that's what we need.
Catbird wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm As an alumnus and someone who has been going to games since Seaman was the coach (which is longer than some but not as long as many others), let me be the first one to say won't no one care if he wins.

Good Luck Coach M
Yikes—imagine being so self-involved that you stop rooting for you alma mater and refuse to support the players because the coach isn't an alum himself.

Milliman has a reputation for being an excellent recruiter, knows what it takes to navigate a tricky academic setting, and from what I've heard guys like playing for him. He's young, but not too young. The fact that Cornell fans are upset about this tells you a lot of what you need to know. They looked like arguably the best team in the country this year. Not much to complain about apart from him not being an alum or part of the "family." It'd be nice if he puts someone like Stanwick, Durkin, Crawley, Koesterer, Boyle, etc. on his staff but he may not.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:26 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:23 pm
Out of curiosity, would you consider this to be a good or bad move for the future of the program?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cjVhUrmII
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Assistant coaches will be very important; although Pete has 2 newbies(Buczek & Stevens) at Cornell and they had it going this year..
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Congratulations, JHU! You have a good lacrosse coach, recruiter, fund raiser, and alumni relations man coming your way. If you don't eat him alive with perfectionism, I think you'll like the medium to long term results. I was hoping he'd stay at Cornell for a few decades.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:35 pm Assistant coaches will be very important; although Pete has 2 newbies(Buczek & Stevens) at Cornell and they had it going this year..
Buczek is highly underrated in my view. He's done a great job with both offense and goalies.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Well Milliman's certainly had a meteoric rise from HC at D2 Pfeiffer to HC at Johns Hopkins in 8 years. It will be very interesting how this plays out. Looking at the '20 and '21 classes that Petro had lined up, the demise of early recruiting might have been saving him from himself going forward. Physical size and depth that were missing from his ER classes. And one of his sons in the '22 class is the kind of player who would've attracted other top recruits.

On paper, Koesterer makes eminent sense for 1 assistant spot. JHU grad, upstate NY native like Milliman, relatively under the radar success at UMBC, B1G experience at OSU, wouldn't have to move during the pandemic. Rewkowski another relatively local JHU grad with experience under some top coaches. Also wouldn't be a surprise to see him bring some of his Cornell staff or Brad Ross, MD native at Navy, who also has B1G experience at OSU. Would also be nice to add someone with MIAA connections, at least in the Director of Ops role.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:30 pm Milliman has a reputation for being an excellent recruiter,
Seeing as how that's the only thing that matters in D1 lacrosse.....congratulations are in order!

Best of luck to you and your fellow Hop Fans!

Hopefully we have a lax season this year....
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

At the end of the day, it ends up being the coach that made the most sense all along (when considering why Petro was let go). There is a "new vision" in town. And those folks were calling the shots. They got "their guy".

I am rooting for Peter!

We will never know the inner workings, but one must also wonder if the state of the Cornell program this year vs the state of the Towson program played a part in the decision. Cornell was on the fast track to Memorial Day and Towson was 0-6. Food for thought.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If any Hop fans want to get a closer look at their new coach, Cornell lax was featured in ESPN's "The Season" in 2019:

https://theseason2019.com
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I'm fine with breaking from tradition. Hiring an Orangeman or a Terp would have been a bridge too far though. :lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:36 pm Congratulations, JHU! You have a good lacrosse coach, recruiter, fund raiser, and alumni relations man coming your way. If you don't eat him alive with perfectionism, I think you'll like the medium to long term results. I was hoping he'd stay at Cornell for a few decades.
Thank you, fc. And thank you, Cornell. I have no doubt that Cornell will recruit yet another terrific coach.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If I am Andy Noel, my first phone call is Dan Chemotti.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”