Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by wlaxphan20 »

From what I've seen on social media and in the news, it seems most seniors who had their seasons cut short are choosing to forego their 5th year and continue on to the next chapter, whether it be graduate school, a gap year, or a job that has already been lined up (this could also be due to the fact that the women are not covered nearly as much as the men). There has been a lot of talk about how it will effect roster sizes next season and current HS players that are entering the big recruiting summers, but I think the effects of granting a 5th year are going to be felt much longer.

I'm not sure if it was brought up earlier - but since all athletes (not just seniors) were granted an extra year of eligibility, I wonder if the effects of this will be felt more strongly in the next several years, instead of the 2021 season. Juniors, sophs, & freshman can now plan for their 5th year both academically (whether it is lightening their course load or adding on a minor/major) and financially. Possibly, we could see more players in the class of 2021, 2022, and 2023 choosing to play their 5th year than we are seeing in the class of 2020. That could also mean a lot more roster shuffling these next few years (not just this year) as players seek a 5th year at an institution that has a graduate program they desire.

Not saying any of this is a fact or that there's any evidence to prove it. I know there are a lot more moving parts than the ones I mentioned..just wanting to add my 2 cents on a possible outcome of all this
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I can only speak for my D, who it looks like will use her redshirt for graduate school. Who knows, a lot changes for kids over a couple of years but previously she would have been 4 and done and probably not pursued a graduate degree and now she is leaning that way...at least this week.

So all in all, a pretty good outcome for her.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:37 pm From what I've seen on social media and in the news, it seems most seniors who had their seasons cut short are choosing to forego their 5th year and continue on to the next chapter, whether it be graduate school, a gap year, or a job that has already been lined up (this could also be due to the fact that the women are not covered nearly as much as the men).
Just a counterpoint...the seniors that I know are all looking to come back for an additional year. Small sample size though (less than 10).
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

https://twitter.com/USLacrosseMag/statu ... 3253134338

Kali Hartshorn is not returning for extra year
njbill

Post by njbill »

This post has nothing to do with Hartshorn. Just a thought that popped into my head.

There has been talk that the cost of a 5th year will impact players’ decisions. I suspect that at least some of that thinking has been from the perspective of what the cost would be in a “normal” world. Many families, however, are going to be suffering financially due to the pandemic which very possibly will negatively impact any decision about a 5th year.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:06 pm This post has nothing to do with Hartshorn. Just a thought that popped into my head.

There has been talk that the cost of a 5th year will impact players’ decisions. I suspect that at least some of that thinking has been from the perspective of what the cost would be in a “normal” world. Many families, however, are going to be suffering financially due to the pandemic which very possibly will negatively impact any decision about a 5th year.
Particularly if some time after that tuition payment is sent the lax season is cancelled.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

As I have said more than once, this was a hurried and emotional decision by the NCAA that will prove to be foolish.

What is their (NCAA) plan in the event the football season is cancelled? Winter sports? How are schools budgeting for extra scholarships with almost all of their revenues (football related) in doubt? What happens to spring athletes that decide to enroll and play an extra year only to see the 2021 season cancelled?
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

ProudPapa wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:52 am As I have said more than once, this was a hurried and emotional decision by the NCAA that will prove to be foolish.

What is their (NCAA) plan in the event the football season is cancelled? Winter sports? How are schools budgeting for extra scholarships with almost all of their revenues (football related) in doubt? What happens to spring athletes that decide to enroll and play an extra year only to see the 2021 season cancelled?
That would be a horrific development. Who knows what the world would be like.

Logic would dictate that every college spring sport player gets another year for missing the 2021 season. So for the 2022 spring season, teams would be composed of:
1. 6th year seniors with 0 year of additional eligibility.
2. 5th year seniors with 1 year of additional eligibility
3. Seniors with 2 years of additional eligibility
4. Juniors with 3 years of additional eligibility
5. Sophomores with 3 years of additional eligibility
6. Freshmen with 3 years of additional eligibility.

At some point if this keeps up, there would be too many college players in the pipeline; coaches would need to stop recruiting HS players to let the glut of college players pass through.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 am What stops UNC from grabbing both? UNC grabbing most all of the potential available talent and doing in lacrosse what they did (a while ago) in soccer?
Nothing at all. Mueller was a senior, so I assume she is going to graduate. That (UNC getting them) would be the end for all other teams in 2021. [edit: Both are 2020 Seniors]

Mueller is (IMO) the better of the two, although Miller seems to get more press. 48 G in 2019 versus 22. She is a force.

Both are New Yorkers....'Cuse???
Stony Brook?
rumor I heard is that one may be looking at Northwestern
Mueller to Northwestern, per a source
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 pm
Mueller to Northwestern, per a source
Same source has another USC player headed to SBU....anyone want to confirm?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

And Hawryschuk is staying at Cuse
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Asa Goldstock is coming back to Cuse
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:10 pm And Hawryschuk is staying at Cuse
Neither Emily or Asa is a shock to hear they are staying at Syracuse
Orange through and through
Memyself

Post by Memyself »

UVA won't add funds for spring senior scholarships; may halt football facility construction

BY MIKE BARBER Richmond Times-Dispatch 4 hrs ago
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:10 pm And Hawryschuk is staying at Cuse
Neither Emily or Asa is a shock to hear they are staying at Syracuse
Orange through and through
Anyone else catch the Lax Magazine article that EH lives at home and commutes over an hour to Syracuse? Really interesting.
Cletus

Gabby Rosenzweig!

Post by Cletus »

Gabby Rosenzweig entered the transfer portal.
Dr. Tact

Kerrigan Miller to UNC

Post by Dr. Tact »

per Instagram
8meterPA

Re: Kerrigan Miller to UNC

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:32 pm per Instagram
wow, the rich get richer
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:40 pm
wow, the rich get richer
exactly my thoughts...wonder if the Maryland's/ Loyola's/etc. are getting transfer nibbles?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:40 pm
wow, the rich get richer
Yep – but at least she didn’t end up in Maryland.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”