Utah 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Utah 2021

Post by gymman1031 »

I am so excited to see the amount of improvement the Utes will likely show in 2021. By looking at their schedule, while it is impossible to say exactly what would have happened, I believe that, after finishing 5-10 in their inaugural season, the Utes would have ended 2020 with a 7-7 mark. Let's see if the Utes and Coach Holman can end with a winning record in 2021. By the way, what a view from their stadium!
McGriff

Re: Utah 2021

Post by McGriff »

I've been following this program closely since they announced the move from MCLA to NCAA.

I am beyond curious to see if a couple of things happen between now and fall:

1. Will any of the seniors being recognized today on the Utes social media as seniors return for another year? Sexton, Perkins, Stout,Neeleman and especially the GK Donnelly?
2. If Donnelly doesn't return in net, is this team able to win with the incredibly talented, enigmatic and often maligned Zion DeChesere (YouTube and Google this kid. Absolute freak athlete) in cage?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I think Perkins is already maxed out.
Burke might be safe.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:57 pm I think Perkins is already maxed out.
Burke might be safe.
My thoughts re: Donnelly too, he's maxed out both athletic & academically is my guess after his D1 transfer to Utah.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

McGriff wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Burke might be safe.
My thoughts re: Donnelly too, he's maxed out both athletic & academically is my guess after his D1 transfer to Utah.
BREAKING: 2-time Utah Captain and Starting Goalie for the last two seasons Liam Donnelly will be transferring to play at @UAlbanyMLax with two years of eligibilty remaining.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 pm
McGriff wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Burke might be safe.
BREAKING: 2-time Utah Captain and Starting Goalie for the last two seasons Liam Donnelly will be transferring to play at @UAlbanyMLax with two years of eligibilty remaining.
Well ok. Hahaha. Answers that!
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

My friend's son is still on the roster with the Utes and this team will be in a rebuild mode in 2021.

To my understanding, offensively, the team has lost all it's top scorers (Burke, Perkins, Sexton, Feldjstead etc.) A few Jr's are not returning for their Sr year, including Josh Stout who is very good. Donnelly has decided to leave the, program and won't play his Sr year there. They also lost Costin who entered the portal, a freshman and excellent player who could be special.

Defensively, besides Donnelly, Neeleman did have another year of eligibility and doesn't look to be returning. Dan Tracey, a Sr and transfer from UMass is not returning.

Not sure what will happen with coaching staff, but after watching most of their games, they weren't on the same page in my opinion. The losses to both Air Force and St Mary's should have never happened, and for an offensive that had all the tools, they started to play tentative, they didn't jell.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Sounds like Donnelly is transferring to Albany.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Sounds like this relatively new program is already having some issues.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Burke was a Copelan guy at Fairfield, no different than the one who transferred to Marquette. Perkins was a 5th yr from RoMo. Sexton from Onondaga. Holman threw the team together without much regard to chemistry and in attempt to build fast, is it shocking that guys aren’t feeling it?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I am not close to this program so I could be way off. But I wonder what is the impact of having three young assistant coaches (Holman, Manny and Ghitelman) so involved in the PLL each summer. Are they freed up to recruit and attend summer tourneys during this time?

I think It could be a positive as well. Young players look up to these guys and they do a ton in social media. Good pub for Utah.

Maybe someone closer to the program as a point of view?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I can say, the Holmans are committed to Utah,
can’t speak to the other guys,
even initially when the Hopkins gig opened,
the word I got was, Holman is committed to Utah.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 pm I can say, the Holmans are committed to Utah,
Probably because in his wildest dreams would he be considered for the Hop job
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 pm I can say, the Holmans are committed to Utah,
Probably because in his wildest dreams would he be considered for the Hop job.
No.
That’s not it.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 pm Burke was a Copelan guy at Fairfield, no different than the one who transferred to Marquette. Perkins was a 5th yr from RoMo. Sexton from Onondaga. Holman threw the team together without much regard to chemistry and in attempt to build fast, is it shocking that guys aren’t feeling it?
Yes, chemistry was a problem this year. Not only amongst some of the players, but also amongst players and coaches. I'm sure this is not a rare occurrence and happens at any sports program, but a few of the guys who were Jr's and left the program is a fallout from this. Especially when you lose your starting goalie, who decides to play somewhere else. Stout who was a Jr and changed from attack to Middie (why I don't know), just wanted to focus on his studies next year. Not sure about Costin, that kid could play at any program, and maybe he wanted to come back East nearer to home? Again these things happen, but sometimes this is not a positive reflection.

Their first D1 season in 2019, this was not the case. Overall cohesive situation. One of the Sr's who graduated in 2019 was apparently a great individual and outstanding leader and teammate, helped a lot of the young guys (including my friends son) in their transition to D1 life and to stick it out. Same was said about Perkins this season, it was challenging, but he was another solid leader and person. They've lost all their captains but I'm sure some of the younger guys will fill the void and follow these guys footsteps.

Beautiful and growing campus, first class PAC 12 facilities, new lacrosse stadium, and good academic programs. Very different from most campuses I've ever visited. All they need is a conference to join. I guess it can be chalked up to typical growing pains of any new business and program. A lot of great young men on that team and I wish only good things for them. Look forward to rooting them on in 2021, Go Utes!
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

fastgame wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 pm Burke was a Copelan guy at Fairfield, no different than the one who transferred to Marquette. Perkins was a 5th yr from RoMo. Sexton from Onondaga. Holman threw the team together without much regard to chemistry and in attempt to build fast, is it shocking that guys aren’t feeling it?
Yes, chemistry was a problem this year. Not only amongst some of the players, but also amongst players and coaches. I'm sure this is not a rare occurrence and happens at any sports program, but a few of the guys who were Jr's and left the program is a fallout from this. Especially when you lose your starting goalie, who decides to play somewhere else. Stout who was a Jr and changed from attack to Middie (why I don't know), just wanted to focus on his studies next year. Not sure about Costin, that kid could play at any program, and maybe he wanted to come back East nearer to home? Again these things happen, but sometimes this is not a positive reflection.

Their first D1 season in 2019, this was not the case. Overall cohesive situation. One of the Sr's who graduated in 2019 was apparently a great individual and outstanding leader and teammate, helped a lot of the young guys (including my friends son) in their transition to D1 life and to stick it out. Same was said about Perkins this season, it was challenging, but he was another solid leader and person. They've lost all their captains but I'm sure some of the younger guys will fill the void and follow these guys footsteps.

Beautiful and growing campus, first class PAC 12 facilities, new lacrosse stadium, and good academic programs. Very different from most campuses I've ever visited. All they need is a conference to join. I guess it can be chalked up to typical growing pains of any new business and program. A lot of great young men on that team and I wish only good things for them. Look forward to rooting them on in 2021, Go Utes!
So all of this insightful feedback would lend itself to the belief that Coach Holman and staff will be busy in the portal trying to locate some upper-class leadership possibly that can also contribute on the field would be my guess or does he roll with the youngsters already on roster from this point forward to tighten up the group?
Meatpuppet

Post by Meatpuppet »

Every player in division 1 that will graduate academically has at least one more year so nobody is maxed out. Every one of Utah’s players in this situation chose to leave. There are more transfers coming. Direct quote from Holman “I’ve never had a team hate me like this”

Oh and he tried to get the Navy job so he’s not as committed as you think.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

The rumor is that he over-recruits and then cuts kids before their first semester ends. If true, I imagine that would be a huge frustration for kids and parents. You have a 4 year plan, show up, and find out that you may or may not be welcome there.

IF that is indeed the case, I would imagine it creates an environment where you don't feel you can trust the coach, and you carry that with you the whole time you are there.

Again, this is second hand information but comes from some transfers.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The danger in hiring a head coach whose only experience coaching collegiately was as a volunteer assistant coach for his son’s team. And then letting him hire a couple 25 year olds as assistant coaches.

I would fully expect the growing pains to continue. I have no inside info on Holman. Perhaps he will be great there in the long term. But in what other sport would a PAC 12 BCS school hire a head coach with such little experience?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I take that back. Forgot he was an assistant at Hopkins for for a few seasons 33 years ago.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”