Michigan 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Michigan 2021

Post by gymman1031 »

As the leader of the College Lacrosse Discussion Page on Facebook, I have posted many times that Michigan has been, for a long time, my top "sleeping-giant". And, with all they have to offer in recruiting, I still brand them as that. While Coach Kevin Conry and staff, according to some, haven't lived up to high standards, we have to give them some more time. At least to the point where pretty much all of the talent is theirs. When it comes to programs that I believe have the capability of getting better and better, I look at their improvement as "steps". Michigan has already had winning seasons. However, they have not yet made the four-team Big Ten Tournament. That, to be honest, is the next fair step for them. And winning a game in it, winning the tournament, and making the postseason(tournament title or not) are the next larger steps.
Cooter

Re: Michigan 2021

Post by Cooter »

I think this extra year of eligibility for seniors probably hurts Michigan some with respect to making the Big Ten tmt in 2021, as Michigan did not have any major seniors. Meanwhile, some of PSU's seniors might return, LeClaire and/or Terefenko could return at OSU, Mullins at Rutgers, and Williams at JHU. Had the slate been cleared by graduation of these seniors, Michigan's chances would have been good for making the Big Ten tmt.in 2021. We will have to see which seniors return but the road could be tougher for Michigan in 2021.

Michigan returns a lot. They were playing a lot of freshmen, but they only got half a season of experience instead of the full season. Michigan also brings in some talented freshmen next fall, but they have missed their senior high school season, which might hold them back some.
Live Free or Die!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Heard that UPenn's Kyle Gallagher, AA FOGO for the Quakers, is taking his anticipated extra season of eligibility to Michigan for 2021 while attending grad school.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 pm Heard that UPenn's Kyle Gallagher, AA FOGO for the Quakers, is taking his anticipated extra season of eligibility to Michigan for 2021 while attending grad school.
That would be quite the gamechanger for the Wolverines if true
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Be moving on up If fogo Gallagher does go there for grad school.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Gallagher is the second player I’ve seen play on three different teams (Hofstra, Penn and Michigan). That’s tough to do. I think I remember a fogo who went from Bellarmine to Towson to Rutgers. Can’t remember his name. Didn’t really get much time in his last two stops.

Maybe Ierlan will follow suit? Virginia, ND or UNC? Good grad programs.

Edit: Connor Harryman was the guy I was talking about. Was unfortunate to transfer to Towson the same year Woodall transferred there from High Point.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Any updates on transfers?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Michigan loses out on Gallagher as he is apparently going to Notre Dame.
Live Free or Die!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Gallagher was a last minute change I'm told.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Michigan has two incoming freshmen named to the UA AA team
Attackman Michael Boehm
Midfielder Kyle Stephenson
Live Free or Die!
KPRSLacrosse

Post by KPRSLacrosse »

UMich fielding a competitive team was always going to be an uphill battle, but per discussion on some of the other boards, they could see an uptick in grad transfers depending on how the entire medical situation shakes out.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Cooter wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm Michigan has two incoming freshmen named to the UA AA team
Attackman Michael Boehm
great....so a kid from, a freshman none the less, a nowhere public HS and club team, can tool and school some underwear AA's at the fogo position.....again. yup. talking about Merrimack. UA AA went 8-20 in FO's. sorry, but it's true. Michigan lost to a Div 2 school.

why you guys get all lathered up by these "lists" by volleyball boy and company is beyond us.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

KPRSLacrosse wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 pm UMich fielding a competitive team was always going to be an uphill battle, but per discussion on some of the other boards, they could see an uptick in grad transfers depending on how the entire medical situation shakes out.
pft
Last edited by runrussellrun on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm Michigan has two incoming freshmen named to the UA AA team
Attackman Michael Boehm
great....so a kid from, a freshman none the less, a nowhere public HS and club team, can tool and school some underwear AA's at the fogo position.....again. yup. talking about Merrimack. UA AA went 8-20 in FO's. sorry, but it's true. Michigan lost to a Div 2 school.

why you guys get all lathered up by these "lists" by volleyball boy and company is beyond us.
I don't believe Rowlett was an UA AA, although he was highly ranked. He was playing his first season this past Spring after being injured as a freshman.

I don't get all lathered about UA AA, but they do look like 2 good offensive recruits for Michigan.

Michigan has one of the top player out of Michigan in Bryce Clay. Clay had 20 goals with 2 assists in 7 games this Spring.
Live Free or Die!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Cooter wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:56 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Attackman Michael Boehm

I don't believe Rowlett was an UA AA, although he was highly ranked. He was playing his first season this past Spring after being injured as a freshman.

I don't get all lathered about UA AA, but they do look like 2 good offensive recruits for Michigan.

Michigan has one of the top player out of Michigan in Bryce Clay. Clay had 20 goals with 2 assists in 7 games this Spring.
Solid player, with lots to learn and develop. btw, how many goals against Merrimack? ;)

It bugs me that Michigan, and other colleges, post CLUB teams in bios. It's literally an advertisement. or, more telling just how, possibly, lazy the coaching staff is when it comes to recruiting players. And it's mostly only the "name" club teams too. Yawn. It's why Michigan is where it is. Or isn't.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I watched a little bit of the game, and while I was watching Merrimack managed to take advantage of Michigan's inexperienced defense for some open shots well within time and distance. A nice upset for Merrimack, their only win on the season.
Michigan rebounded the next weekend and beat St.John's, and finished the season 4-3.

Rowlett was a UMd recruit before he switched over to Michigan.
Live Free or Die!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 pm As the leader of the College Lacrosse Discussion Page on Facebook, I have posted many times that Michigan has been, for a long time, my top "sleeping-giant". And, with all they have to offer in recruiting, I still brand them as that. While Coach Kevin Conry and staff, according to some, haven't lived up to high standards, we have to give them some more time. At least to the point where pretty much all of the talent is theirs. When it comes to programs that I believe have the capability of getting better and better, I look at their improvement as "steps". Michigan has already had winning seasons. However, they have not yet made the four-team Big Ten Tournament. That, to be honest, is the next fair step for them. And winning a game in it, winning the tournament, and making the postseason(tournament title or not) are the next larger steps.
Comments like this are interesting. The, give them more time....talent theirs rhetoric. Was not Coach Conry recruiting pretty much the very same kids in his previous job? It IS not as if Tillman erased his recruiting memory. (or did he :D )

Is Anne Arbor sexier a place than College Park, say, for a Fairfield county or metroDC kid? Would not coach Conry be selling that very thing, just reversing the names? The thrust of the interest, IS in how the previous coaching staff approached "recruiting". Did they Take their chances on the "name" club circuit kids. " Heck, everyone else is doing it", mentality. So, in essence , isn't a player like Rocco Sutherland already a talent of the current coaching staff. Unless the current coaches already didn't know about him, 6 or 7 years ago? Were not Maryland and Michigan recruiting from the very same talent pool? I find it doubtful that Coach Conroy didn't try to sell how awesome College Park IS to Rocco, all these many many moons ago. Compared to Ann Arbor, an impossible sell. ;)

For some reason, the previous coaching staff, just didn't recruit Eastern Massachusetts players. Kudos to Conry, for continuing , for Michigan, what he already knew: that Eastern Mass. kids can play. Unless, you think Coach Conry dropped out of the sky, nah, pushed from the JT mind eraser blimp, and just happened to magically recruit a starting Freshman close D. Because, he, as defensive guy, for the Terps wouldn't already be recruiting this young man :D Luckily, I heard that while on the recruiting trip Maryland, he had his eyes glued to the phone, so he didn't really understand Coach Conry's apology. When coach called him up and said, "I have to be honest, I truly lied about how much nicer, more fun, more BARS, College Park is and has.", Coach pauses, than continues, " I mean, what does the Michigan football team beat Maryland by, every year. Also, year after year, they keep pumping TONS of funds into the losing Football, program, while cutting other programs.....but I digress....in short, Son, you are going to LOVE Ann Arbor, when can you come out ? "

Guessing the former coaching staff didn't think about and conclude that these young men didn't know anything but winning, championships and Tom Brady as QB in Gillette. For their entire lives.

Did they, the coaching staff, never utter to a recruit, "don't you wanna play where the GOAT played?"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Cooter wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:26 pm I watched a little bit of the game, and while I was watching Merrimack managed to take advantage of Michigan's inexperienced defense for some open shots well within time and distance. A nice upset for Merrimack, their only win on the season.
Michigan rebounded the next weekend and beat St.John's, and finished the season 4-3.

Rowlett was a UMd recruit before he switched over to Michigan.
Merrimacks defense is even younger, or "inexperienced:" as you put it.

Only win, you say. Guessing Hopkins thanks the heavans for that OT win over MSM, less they be a lowly, lousy, one win team. Or, you could ask a couple of Terp former players, now blowing the whistle in Burlington, VT, just how good this Div 2 team is. ALL close losses. As you know.

Interesting that you go rah rah over a Hopkins guy, and Michigans "friendship" with each other. but ignore , completely what a couple of former Terp players are doing and supporting them. Or , did you only become a fan of Michigan when a former Terp coach got hired? Or, have you posted on the Vermont thread ;)
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 am Or , did you only become a fan of Michigan when a former Terp coach got hired?
I have been following Michigan since they moved up to D1. I'm a Maryland fan.
Live Free or Die!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Conry Announces Michigan Men's Lacrosse Newcomers

University of Michigan men's lacrosse head coach Kevin Conry announced the program's addition of 15 student-athletes for the 2020-21 academic year on Tuesday (Sept. 8).

The class ranks as the No. 3 overall class in the country per Inside Lacrosse and features a five-star recruit in attackman Michael Boehm (Rocky River, Ohio/St. Ignatius), who is the No. 21 recruit in the country, as well as a nation-leading nine four-star recruits. Graduate student Tyler Papa (Limestone College), a Division II All-American and all-conference performer, also joins the team with one season of eligibility.

In addition to Boehm and Papa, Isaac Aronson (Potomac, Md./Bullis School), Justin Brown (Huntington Station, NY/Half Hollow Hills), Shane Carr (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park), Caden Hawkinson (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor), Ben Hull (Marietta, Ga./Kennesaw Mountain), Doane Kiechel (Friendship Heights, D.C./Gonzaga College),Trevor Kessel (Shoreham Wading River), Brendan McCabe (Rockville Centre, NY/Chaminade), Grant McCurry (Solon, Ohio/Solon), Hank Serr (Kirkland, Wash./Lake Washington), Kyle Stephenson (Tewksbury, NJ./Seton Hall Prep), Ryan Sullivan (Novi, Mich./Catholic Central), Jack Whitney (Fairfield, Conn./Berkshire School [Mass.]), and Justin Wietfeldt (Greenwich, Conn./New Canaan).

"As a program, we are happy to have such a dynamic group join our Michigan lacrosse family," said Conry of the class. "We look forward to having them in Ann Arbor, and to develop them as quality young men on and off the field."

Isaac Aronson | 6-3 | 195 | Potomac, Md./Bullis School

Prep
• Bullis School, Potomac, Md. (2020)
• Rated as a four-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Interstate Atlantic Conference Champion (2018-19)
• GEICO National Champions 2019
• Captained lacrosse and football teams in senior season
• High Honor roll student

Club
• Next Level

Personal
• Isaac Reuben Aronson
• Son of Ami and Lou Aronson
• Father is a 1987 graduate of U-M
• Has a trio of sisters: Caroline, Melissa and Goldie
• Enrolled in the School of Literature, Science, & the Arts

Michael Boehm | 5-10 | 170 | Rocky River, Ohio/St. Ignatius

Prep
• St. Ignatius, Cleveland, Ohio (2020)
• Ranked No. 21 player in the Inside Lacrosse Power 100, a five-star recruit, an "87" and the No. 10 attackman
• Scored 181 goals, dished out 119 assists and totaled 300 points in high school lacrosse career
• Two-time USILA All-American (2018-19)
• Two-time All-Ohio (2018-19)
• All-Midwest Player of the Year (2019)
• Adam S. Hamilton Award winner
• Finalist for Male High School of the Year in Cleveland area
• Also an ice hockey standout, earning three All-Ohio honors as well as three state championships
• Scored 41 goals and had 35 assists in ice hockey career
• First honors

Club/International
• West Coast Starz

Personal
• Michael Thomas Boehm
• Son of Patti and Joe Boehm
• Has a brother, Joe, and sister, Britt
• Brother-in-law is Trevor Yealy, a former Michigan lacrosse player who captained Team One at U-M
• Favorite U-M athlete is Jake Ryan
• Enrolled in the School of Kinesiology; Sports Marketing and Management major

Justin Brown | 6-0 | 185 | Huntington Station, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills

Prep
• Half Hollow Hills High School, Huntington Station, N.Y. (2020)
• Rated as the No. 58 player, and a four-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Also a football standout, rated the No. 16 player in the state of New York, the 125th running back in the nation, and an "82" by 247 Sports
• Held football scholarship offers from Baylor, Connecticut and Stony Brook

Club
• Team 91

Personal
• Justin Alexander Brown
• Son of Lisa Brown and Jerry Brown, Sr.

Shane Carr | 5-11 | 190 | Severna Park, Md./Severna Park

Prep
• Severna Park High School, Severna Park, Md. (2020)
• Four-time Maryland Public School 3/4A state champion (2016-19) and county champion
• Two-time All County
• Two-time team captain
• Team went 47-0 in high school career
• National Honor Society

Personal
• Shane Michael Carr
• Son of Marly Palmer & Chris Carr
• Has a sister, Camryn, and brother, Ethan, who plays lacrosse at Army West Point
• Favorite Michigan athlete is Desmond Howard
• Enrolled in School of Engineering

Caden Hawkinson | 6-1 | 195 | Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor

Prep
• Cold Spring Harbor High School, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. (2020)
• Three-star recruit per Inside Lacrosse
• All County
• Country Championship Defensive MVP
• Team captain
• Character Recognition Award winner
• Honor Roll student

Club
• Team 91 Crush

Personal
• Caden Joseph Daniel Hawkinson
• Son of Nicola Hawkinson
• Has a sister, Mikaela, and a brother, Max
• Sister plays field hockey at Limestone

Ben Hull | 5-10 | 180 | Marietta, Ga./Kennesaw Mountain

Prep
• Kennesaw Mountain High School, Marietta, Ga. (2020)
• Rated as the No. 61 player in the country, and a four-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Scored 284 goals and 166 assists (450 points) in 64 games played
• Holds state record for goals in a season (101 in 2019)
• US Lacrosse All-American
• Four-time team captain
• Marietta Daily Journal Player of the Year (2019)

Club
• Sweetlax

Personal
• Ben Michael Hull
• Son of Leigh Ann and Mike Hull
• Both parents played lacrosse at Springfield; mother was a two-time All-American
• Has a sister, Jordan

Trevor Kessel | 6-1 | 195 | Shoreham-Wading River, N.Y./Shoreham Wading River

Prep
• Shoreham Wading River High School, Wading River, N.Y. (2020)
• Four-star recruit per Inside Lacrosse
• All County
• National Honor Society

Club
• Team 91 Crush

Personal
• Trevor Joseph Kessel
• Son of Gwen and Joe Hawkinson
• Has a sister, Lydia, who plays soccer at Vermont
• Sister plays field hockey at Limestone
• Engineering major

Doane Kiechel | 6-1 | 190 | Friendship Heights, D.C./Gonzaga College (D.C.)

Prep
• Gonzaga College Prep, Washington, D.C. (2020)
• Rated as a three-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Three-time Washington Catholic Athletic Conference Champion
• Honor Roll student

Club
• Next Level

Personal
• Doane Frederick Kiechel IV
• Ross School of Business pre-admit

Brendan McCabe | 6-0 | 205 | Rockville Centre, N.Y./Chaminade

Prep
• Chaminade High School, Mineola, N.Y. (2020)
• Ranked as the No. 84 player in the country, a four-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• CHSAA All-League team member (2019)
• CHSAA football champion (2019)
• CHSAA runner-up for lacrosse
• Honor Roll student

Club
• Long Island Express

Personal
• Brendan James McCabe
• Son of Ellen and Harry McCabe
• Has a trio of sisters, Emmie, Maddie and Grace, and a brother, Connor

Grant McCurry | 5-11 | 180 | Solon, Ohio/Solon

Prep
• Solon High School, Solon, Ohio (2020)
• Rated as a four-star recruit and an "83" by Inside Lacrosse
• All-Conference (2019)
• Team MVP (2018)
• Owns school record for goals in a game (eight)
• Standout football player as well, earning second team All-Ohio (2019)
• Honor Roll student

Club
• Burning River

Personal
• Grant Andrew McCurry
• Son of Lisa and Ken McCurry
• Has two brothers, Jake and Ryan, and a sister, Caitlin
• Brother, Jake, is on the football team at U-M, while Ryan played football for U-M as well
• Economics major

Tyler Papa | Graduate Student | 6-2 | 210 | Manlius, N.Y./Fayetteville-Manlius (Limestone)

Prior to Michigan
• Played four seasons at Division II Limestone College
• All-Conference Carolinas (2020)
• USILA/Warrior Preseason All-American First Team
• Inside Lacrosse Division II Player of the Year Watch List
• All-Conference Carolinas (2018-19)
• USILA/Nike All-American Third Team (2018)

Personal
• Son of Lisa and Mike Papa
• Has three siblings: Nick, Michaela and Joey
• Father played lacrosse at Washington College and played in three NCAA Division III national championship games
• Brother, Nick, plays lacrosse at Syracuse
• Pursuing Masters in Social Work

Hank Serr | 6-3 | 210 | Kirkland, Wash./Lake Washington

Prep
• Lake Washington High School, Kirkland, Wash. (2020)
• Rated as a three-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Second Team All-District (2018)
• Four-year varsity starter
• Three-year captain
• National Honor Society
• DECA Co-President
• DECA National Participant

Club
• Primetime

Personal
• Henry Robert Serr
• Son of Juliette Plager and Bob Serr
• Has a sister, Helen
• All three family members have attended Michigan

Kyle Stephenson | 5-11 | 180 | Tewksbury, N.J./Seton Hall Prep

Prep
• Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J. (2020)
• Ranked as a four-star recruit, an "86," the No. 28 player in the country and No. 5 midfielder in the land by Inside Lacrosse
• Totaled 97 goals, 39 assists and 58 ground balls in high school career
• First team All-NJILCA Non-Public (2019)
• Second team All-Fitch Pitt Division (2019)
• Second team NJ Super Essex All-Conference (2019)
• County Champion (2018-19)
• Fitch-Pitt League Team Champion (2019)
• Team ranked No. 15 nationally junior year with school record 21-2 record
• Under Armour New Jersey All-American underclass team (2017-19)
• NJILCA All-Non-Public Group honorable mention (2018)
• Second team All-Super Essex County (2018)

• Vorhees High School Freshman of the Year (2017)
• Second team all-league (2017)
• First team Skylands All-Valley Division (2017)

Club
• Leading Edge

Personal
• Kyle R. Stephenson
• Son of Karen Zukowsky and Rob Stephenson
• Has a sister, Isabelle

Ryan Sullivan | 5-10 | 175 | Novi, Mich./Catholic Central

Prep
• Catholic Central High School, Wixon, Mich. (2020)
• US Lacrosse All-American (2019)
• All-State, all-league (2019)
• Team was state runner-up in 2019
• Second team All-State, all-league (2018)
• Had 132 goals, 80 assists and 212 points in high school career
• National Honors Society
• Gabriel Richard Club
• Honor Roll

Club
• Laxachusetts

Personal
• Ryan Michael Sullivan
• Son of Michael Sullivan
• Father played lacrosse at Notre Dame (1989-92)

Jack Whitney | 6-2 | 200 | Fairfield, Conn./Berkshire School (Mass.)

Prep
• Berkshire School, Sheffield, Mass. (2020)
• Rated as a four-star recruit by Inside Lacrosse
• Team captain (2020)
• Ice hockey team MVP (2019)
• High honor roll, Academic Performance List

Club
• Eclipse 2020

Personal
• Jackson Scott Whitney
• Son of Christyn Scott Whitney
• Has a sister, Madyson, and a brother, Mason

Justin Wietfeldt | 6-0 | 180 | Greenwich, Conn./New Canaan

Prep
• New Canaan High School, New Canaan, Conn. (2020)
• Ranked as a four star recruit, the No. 92 player in the nation and No. 10 FOGO in the country by Inside Lacrosse
• Three-time All-FCIAC Conference Team
• Two-time All-FCIAC Exemplary Scholar-Athlete
• Two-time team captain
• Team USA U19 Tryout Invitee
• Won 82 percent of faceoffs in high school
• Totaled 500 faceoff wins, 345 ground balls, five goals and 11 assists during high school career

Club
• Eclipse

Personal
• Justin Dat-Fung Wietfeldt
• Son of Jocelyn and Peter Wietfeldt
• Ross School of Business Pre-Admit
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”