Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hey they've got a BEST TEAM EVER football team bracket set up on Yahoo sports.
Maybe, to relieve the boredom, we could set up a BEST HOPKINS TEAM EVER bracket.
Teams would be welcome from all eras. Only National Championship teams could make the bracket, so there would be nine from the Tournament era, but a lot from before 1971. Not sure how how the different technologies would compare from different eras, so maybe it might be better to just confine it to the tournament era. On the other hand, I would hate to exclude some great teams from the past. We could maybe ask someone to do a simulation, or just take a vote on which team advances. Any thoughts?
swf

Post by swf »

+1
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Final Four would likely be '79, '84, '87, and '05.

Latest Homewood vault replay is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XXEskKOQi8

They said they're doing another one next Thursday—didn't say which game, though since this one was fairly recent my guess is they go back a ways for the next one.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’d like them to dissect the MSM win. Far more relevant.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

School did a great job after 911 honoring the mens basketball player who died in the towers. I hope they're taking notes on the Hopkins alumni working in those hospitals.
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:46 am School did a great job after 911 honoring the mens basketball player who died in the towers. I hope they're taking notes on the Hopkins alumni working in those hospitals.
as one of those alumni, I doubt it...
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:46 am School did a great job after 911 honoring the mens basketball player who died in the towers. I hope they're taking notes on the Hopkins alumni working in those hospitals.
Same. nm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hopkins at Rutgers sim coming up at 10:45 AM today.

Pregame win probability is about 25% for Hopkins.

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20200404/

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but the detail in the simulation is amazing in its granularity. It even plays out in real time and should be done by 1 PM.

And, I found the perfect T shi rt for this season. Only $6 too.

Hopkins2020DumpsterFire
Hopkins2020DumpsterFire
4E404A7C-238C-407E-8C83-3F01A03CD559.jpeg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 3117 times

Might be able to make a face mask out of it.

I’ll post a link if anyone wants to buy one.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sim Hopkins wins!

JHU 2 4 8 0 - 14
RUT 4 2 2 4 - 12

Finally something to cheer about.

Sim Hopkins now 1-1 in the B1G, 3-7 overall (2-4, 1-3).

Next up, Penn State.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Coming back to school as a senior could be a prohibitively expensive proposition if the 2021 season is also put on ice. Washington Post article raises the question about fall sports.
Just saying...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ke-answer/
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 am Coming back to school as a senior could be a prohibitively expensive proposition if the 2021 season is also put on ice. Washington Post article raises the question about fall sports.
Just saying...

It’s a real shame when a player wants to come back but isn’t allowed to.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 am Coming back to school as a senior could be a prohibitively expensive proposition if the 2021 season is also put on ice. Washington Post article raises the question about fall sports.
Just saying...

It’s a real shame when a player wants to come back but isn’t allowed to.
+1
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

Xanders put out
More names that entered the NCAA's transfer portal since Friday:
-Matt Hubler, Sr., @jhumenslacrosse. Jays' top SSDM had 33GB, 6pts in '19.
-Drew Morris, Jr., @TerpsMLax. IL's former No. 24 recruit, No. 2 goalie.

Wonder if Petro is looking to pick up a goalie after this year , and now may need to pick up a SSDM.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Doesn't necessarily mean he will transfer for a 5th year but assuming that is indeed what happens, the SSDM situation moving forward—with or without him—is once again a giant question mark.

1) Glassmeyer - showed signs of potential through 6 games in 2020 but not probably who you want to rely on as your #1 guy here
2) Lilly - converted from offense, needed more time to get used to the new position and the shortened season doesn't help
3) DiPietro - career end-of-rotation type of guy who was either injured or got benched entirely in last few games of '20
4) Handsor - no experience

Maybe Chambers will return next year—I have no information on that. He was a highly touted SSDM in high school.

Looking forward, a few incoming freshmen who could in theory be in the mix for SSDM:

Brett Martin - athletic two-way middie from Long Island who started on prob the best club team in the country
Cody Ince - late-bloomer on McDonogh
Ryan Evans - Joe Cowan's grandkid. More of an offensive middie for BL but saw him play some defense/transition last year
Marcelo Arteaga - from Florida, don't know a whole lot about him
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Chuckman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 am Xanders put out
More names that entered the NCAA's transfer portal since Friday:
-Matt Hubler, Sr., @jhumenslacrosse. Jays' top SSDM had 33GB, 6pts in '19.
-Drew Morris, Jr., @TerpsMLax. IL's former No. 24 recruit, No. 2 goalie.

Wonder if Petro is looking to pick up a goalie after this year , and now may need to pick up a SSDM.
I think we've seen over the last decade that if you're a veteran or one of his guys you are going to play unless you get hurt, epsteined or rapined until you graduate no matter what the absolute awful level of performance.

if petro is back I 100percent expect the desos, zinns, and on down the line to start next year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:22 pm epsteined or rapined until you graduate no matter what the absolute awful level of performance.
What in the actual f*** does this mean? Most of what you say is garbled, unparsable stream-of-consciousness nonsense but this is another level. Somebody shouldn't have skipped all of his writing-intensive classes at Hopkins. There's a reason the school requires those.

Petro is coming back. Time to talk about something else!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:22 pm epsteined or rapined until you graduate no matter what the absolute awful level of performance.
What in the actual f*** does this mean? Most of what you say is garbled, unparsable stream-of-consciousness nonsense but this is another level. Somebody shouldn't have skipped all of his writing-intensive classes at Hopkins. There's a reason the school requires those.

Petro is coming back. Time to talk about something else!
Here, let’s put up the complete relevant section, instead of two-thirds of it, and then I’ll decode it for you:

“you are going to play unless you get hurt, epsteined or rapined”

“unless you get hurt” means get hurt to the point you aren’t physically capable of returning to the field.

“epsteined” you play injured far sooner than you should have.

“rapined” means you don’t play because you’re verbally abused to the point you leave the team.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Is it just me or has Petro recently become more openly caring?

RT @CoachPetro43: Happy National Student Athlete Day. Missing you fellas.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

These posts are LOL
I will pull a Sgt. Schultz because I indeed "know nothinggggg" BUT it's just funny to me that several others have a much different definition of "Rapined"
Petro is clearly trying to create/sustain a narrative - he's in charge and he's a good guy
My question would be (if someone has familiarity with the players) is there anyone in the portal that Hopkins should really look at from the standpoint of - fills a need - could seriously look at Hopkisn etc.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:19 pm These posts are LOL
I will pull a Sgt. Schultz because I indeed "know nothinggggg" BUT it's just funny to me that several others have a much different definition of "Rapined"
Petro is clearly trying to create/sustain a narrative - he's in charge and he's a good guy
My question would be (if someone has familiarity with the players) is there anyone in the portal that Hopkins should really look at from the standpoint of - fills a need - could seriously look at Hopkisn etc.
Have heard a whisper here and there that we are in the mix for St. Joe's goalie Mike Adler. That said we were also in the mix for Gray and Scanlan before they ultimately decided to go elsewhere. Apparently Gray's decision was between UNC and Hopkins. Man, what could have been. But obviously getting a goalie of Adler's caliber even just as a one-year rental would be a help IMO. I don't buy the "stunts the development of the guys behind him" argument. It should raise everyone's game. They each have plenty of eligibility left. You go out and get the kid if he's interested. Ninth in the country in save % this season. You simply can't keep getting 45% in goal year after year and expect to win consistently.

OSU goalie Josh Kirson—60% this year, 6th in the nation—is also in the portal. As is Hobart's Sam Lucchesi (56%).

Looking elsewhere at those Xanders has reported being in the portal—a player like Griffin Brown would be nice. He had 21 goals through six games for Colgate in 2020, including 4 against Syracuse (he was absolutely dusting Nick Mellen all game). From the DC area and played at Landon with Joey Epstein. Can play midfield or attack. In theory the type of player who might consider Hopkins and whom we might have a realistic chance of acquiring. I haven't heard anything though.

I'm fully expecting some of these kids with business aspirations to go get their MBAs at Duke and Virginia. Carey is solid and getting better every year but hasn't been around remotely long enough to build a reputation like the biz programs at those other schools. But hey if you want to study epidemiology there's no better place than JHU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”