Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
ThreeSeconds

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 am What stops UNC from grabbing both? UNC grabbing most all of the potential available talent and doing in lacrosse what they did (a while ago) in soccer?
Nothing at all. Mueller was a senior, so I assume she is going to graduate. That (UNC getting them) would be the end for all other teams in 2021. [edit: Both are 2020 Seniors]

Mueller is (IMO) the better of the two, although Miller seems to get more press. 48 G in 2019 versus 22. She is a force.

Both are New Yorkers....'Cuse???
Stony Brook?
rumor I heard is that one may be looking at Northwestern
Florida or Stony Brook
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 am What stops UNC from grabbing both? UNC grabbing most all of the potential available talent and doing in lacrosse what they did (a while ago) in soccer?
Nothing at all. Mueller was a senior, so I assume she is going to graduate. That (UNC getting them) would be the end for all other teams in 2021. [edit: Both are 2020 Seniors]

Mueller is (IMO) the better of the two, although Miller seems to get more press. 48 G in 2019 versus 22. She is a force.

Stony Brook?
Florida or Stony Brook
Unless you are from either state why would you transfer to either College As a 5th year senior?
ThreeSeconds

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 pm
ThreeSeconds wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 pm

Stony Brook?
Florida or Stony Brook
Unless you are from either state why would you transfer to either College As a 5th year senior?
Lack of Graduate program in your major.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Kerrigan Miller and Sammy Mueller are both well-rounded players in most respects and also have the added value of experience. They are both among team leaders in goals, GB's, FPG's, CTO's and DC's and would be real assets wherever they end up, and could certainly put a team over the top the way Erica Evans did for Maryland in 2019.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:40 am Kerrigan Miller and Sammy Mueller are both well-rounded players in most respects and also have the added value of experience. They are both among team leaders in goals, GB's, FPG's, CTO's and DC's and would be real assets wherever they end up, and could certainly put a team over the top the way Erica Evans did for Maryland in 2019.
Maybe Miller -- a communications and broadcast major -- is looking at a graduate program in journalism at Northwestern. She'd be a nice addition to that midfield.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... fer-portal

Article says Katie Bourque of Dartmouth also looking at opportunities elsewhere.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

yea, i'm guessing in the case of these kids, this is not a transfer because UVA and USC don't offer their particular graduate degree. I guess there will be some tough discussions with kids at wherever they end up about why the school needs to take away scholarship money as I imagine AA do not come cheap.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Do we have a statement of Ivy policy for this particular circumstance? I am assuming Ivy kids move on into career life, or find a graduate program outside the Ivy League.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 am Do we have a statement of Ivy policy for this particular circumstance? I am assuming Ivy kids move on into career life, or find a graduate program outside the Ivy League.
Ivy League has yet to make/announce a formal decision based on the NCAA ruling this week (that all classes granted extra eligibility) - seniors are however able to withdraw from this Spring semester - on the men’s side, US lacrosse posted that Michael Sowers (one of frontrunners for tewaaraton) has withdrawn and will be re-joining Princeton next year (rather than go to different grad school and play a year there)

I would imagine many of them will choose not to take the extra year and just head into their careers, but who knows at this point!
Laxfan500

Re: Ivy League - No Extra Year for 5th Year Athletes

Post by Laxfan500 »

So... can Sowers still withdraw and go back to Princeton.
Ivy players...can they transfer to another university as long as school can absorb scholarship limit?
Sorry if I sound dense lol. So say Erin Barry wants to play 5th year she still can, not at Penn but another school?
Bart

Post by Bart »

In the lacrosse world, the athletes that truly benefit from this gets smaller and smaller.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Ivy players...can they transfer to another university as long as school can absorb scholarship limit?
Sorry if I sound dense lol. So say Erin Barry wants to play 5th year she still can, not at Penn but another school?
You have it right. Withdraw and play at IVY or transfer and play somewhere else and be absorbed into their 12 scholarship limit. Most Ivys not transferring from what I’m hearing. The point another poster made has been mine all along on the women’s side, limited transfers and a couple returners that play a lot staying at same schools. Will it limit some future recruiting class sizes? Yes. Really hard to say how much though.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I may be dense, but can someone explain to me how it works at Ivy league where you can "withdraw" from school and then be readmitted and play a 5th year, but you can't be a 5th year player?
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meter, it means parents pay.

Seriously, as I understand it, an Ivy can be eligible for a 5th year as long as she doesn't graduate this spring. So some seniors could drop courses this spring so they won't have enough credits to graduate. I don't think they technically withdraw from school. Or if they do, it is with the understanding, presumably per usual school withdrawal/readmission rules, that they'll be allowed back in. Then they complete their undergraduate degrees next year. Parents pay for extra year. Ugh.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:45 pm
You have it right. Withdraw and play at IVY or transfer and play somewhere else and be absorbed into their 12 scholarship limit. Most Ivys not transferring from what I’m hearing. The point another poster made has been mine all along on the women’s side, limited transfers and a couple returners that play a lot staying at same schools. Will it limit some future recruiting class sizes? Yes. Really hard to say how much though.
So any senior who transfers say from penn state to let’s say Syracuse for a 5th year can transfer and the coach can pay her based on the 12 scholarship rule or not give her anything? Prob not fair to the juniors sophs and freshmen ??
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:22 pm
So any senior who transfers say from penn state to let’s say Syracuse for a 5th year can transfer and the coach can pay her based on the 12 scholarship rule or not give her anything? Prob not fair to the juniors sophs and freshmen ??
[/quot

Correct. Transfer athlete money comes from kids with money quitting, retiring due to injury or taking money from existing kids.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:22 pm
That is how I understand it was well. The only kids who truly get a "do over" are the Seniors who decide to stay and play at their current school. Their scholarship money does not count toward the cap. Everyone else, gets the equivalent of a red shirt.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Turns out the US Lacrosse Magazine reporting was slightly inaccurate.

Vicky Chun, Yale’s AD has tweeted and addressed:

The information from @danaoneilwriter regarding @ivyleague 5th year student-athletes is inaccurate. We are still exploring options for undergraduate eligibility.

The waiting game continues...
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

I would think if they are seeking post grad degrees their major may play a role in the school selected. If they are both New Yorkers SUNY tuition is very affordable.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Stony Brook?
Northwestern seems an obvious choice for Miller considering her degree and the very close history between Coach Munday & KAH...similar styles of play, she would fit in nicely there

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”