The Future of College Athletics

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

The Future of College Athletics

Post by xxxxxxx »

This is pretty scary for college athletics.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... SLK2ZZUA44
stupefied

Re: The Future of College Athletics

Post by stupefied »

Reality Bites. Dont be surprised if NCAA reverses on additional eligibility. They should
old salt

Post by old salt »

Notre Dame & Navy are sched to open their FB seasons on Aug 29 in Dublin.

Luck of the Irish ?
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Any way to access that article?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

It should give you free access unless you visit the site often.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm This is pretty scary for college athletics.

Does the Coronavirus relief assist colleges? I feel like it will, but not sure all the angles of it.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm This is pretty scary for college athletics.

If I could choose between an index fund tied to college sports or the S&P, I would take college sports.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Difficult times. I was thinking of posting a question on how the NCAA does distribute $, how it's determined who gets what and why, but previous threads didn't seem the proper locales. The article isn't really clear, but implies (to my understanding) that there is what seems like a negotiation process between conferences, divisions, and the NCAA (and tv networks?). Pretty complex, and pretty clear the NCAA holds the cards except maybe against the B1Gs and SECs of the world.

I also know there has been very limited talk of decoupling athletics from the college education system, to go to more of a European-style club feeder system to higher athletic levels. This may move the needle in that direction a scoosh.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

laxrules wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:18 am
Does the Coronavirus relief assist colleges? I feel like it will, but not sure all the angles of it.
https://edsource.org/2020/31-billion-in ... ies/627145
There might have been some tweaks before final passage, but here's a read from March 26th. Anyone know anything about about tribal colleges?
...The breakdown in education money in the Senate bill is:
$14.3 billion for higher education, with $12.4 billion split between emergency grants to students and money to colleges “for expenses directly related to coronavirus and the disruption of campus operations.” A billion would be targeted to historically black colleges and universities and tribal colleges. The U.S. Education Department would receive $300 million to give to colleges most affected by the coronavirus, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education;
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Tribal colleges in U.S

Alaska
Iḷisaġvik College, Barrow, Alaska
Arizona
Diné College, Tsaile, Arizona
Tohono O'odham Community College, Sells, Arizona

California
D–Q University, Yolo County, California, defunct
Kansas
Haskell Indian Nations University, Lawrence, Kansas

Michigan
Bay Mills Community College, Brimley, Michigan
Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College, Baraga, Michigan
Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College, Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Minnesota
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, Cloquet, Minnesota
Leech Lake Tribal College, Cass Lake, Minnesota
Red Lake Nation College, Red Lake, Minnesota
White Earth Tribal and Community College, Mahnomen, Minnesota

Montana
Aaniiih Nakoda College, Harlem, Montana
Blackfeet Community College, Browning, Montana
Chief Dull Knife College, Lame Deer, Montana
Fort Peck Community College, Poplar, Montana
Little Big Horn College, Crow Agency, Montana
Salish Kootenai College, Pablo, Montana
Stone Child College, Box Elder, Montana

Nebraska
Little Priest Tribal College, Winnebago, Nebraska
Nebraska Indian Community College, Macy, Nebraska

New Mexico
Institute of American Indian Arts, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Navajo Technical University, Crownpoint, New Mexico
Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico

North Dakota
Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Fort Totten, North Dakota
Fort Berthold Community College, New Town, North Dakota
Sitting Bull College, Fort Yates, North Dakota
Turtle Mountain Community College, Belcourt, North Dakota
United Tribes Technical College, Bismarck, North Dakota

North Carolina
University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Pembroke, North Carolina

Oklahoma
Bacone College, Muskogee, Oklahoma, established 1880
Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribal College, Weatherford, OK. (defunct)
College of the Muscogee Nation, Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Comanche Nation College, Lawton, Oklahoma (defunct)
Pawnee Nation College, Pawnee, Oklahoma

South Dakota
Oglala Lakota College, Kyle, South Dakota
Sinte Gleska University, Mission, South Dakota
Sisseton Wahpeton College, Sisseton, South Dakota

Washington
Northwest Indian College, Bellingham, Washington

Wisconsin
College of Menominee Nation, Keshena, Wisconsin
Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College, Hayward, Wisconsin
Wyoming
Wind River Tribal College, Ethete, Wyoming
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Thanks, Stupefied. Had no idea. Hit my learning target for the day.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 am Difficult times. I was thinking of posting a question on how the NCAA does distribute $, how it's determined who gets what and why, but previous threads didn't seem the proper locales. The article isn't really clear, but implies (to my understanding) that there is what seems like a negotiation process between conferences, divisions, and the NCAA (and tv networks?). Pretty complex, and pretty clear the NCAA holds the cards except maybe against the B1Gs and SECs of the world.

I also know there has been very limited talk of decoupling athletics from the college education system, to go to more of a European-style club feeder system to higher athletic levels. This may move the needle in that direction a scoosh.
Which money, the b-ball tournament? There's a predefined formula for distributing it based on the number of years of a school's participation. Since they're undoubtedly not getting that money this year, I imagine no one will get anything.

The NCAA lost any control over money for broadcasting regular season and conference tournament games for all sports in all divisions in two Supreme Court cases in the 80s, Regents of Oklahoma v. NCAA and University of Georgia Athletic Association v. NCAA. I would imagine that the broadcasters will pay the contracting conferences/schools a pro-rated fee for the games that were broadcast before the lockdown that the conferences will distribute per their own rules.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

I just read an interesting take on having this cancelled season play out on all levels in the fall. The thought was having the seniors that wanted to return, do it sooner than waiting a year and this would have no domino effect for years to come. The incoming freshman would get much needed experience in practice and would not play.. anyone else see or hear anything about this.. Thoughts?
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Lots of stress on facilities, admin personnel, perhaps officials.

For basketball, do we pickup where we left off with regards to conference tournaments? Then October Madness? That would certainly take away from the fan bases who would be attending Fall sports, particularly football. Baseball goes well into the Summer, no? How does that work? Also, every Spring senior will not be able to come back for a myriad of reasons. Great job opportunity. Cost. They are fulfilling their academic requirements for graduation right now. What kind of classes would they take? Different commitments. Now you are playing with teams that are not the same teams. The genie is out of the bottle at this point; don't think it can be put back in.

Would like to hear more on this.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”