Salisbury 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: Salisbury 2020

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings Ned,
Glad you're ready for the 2020 season. We have a new playoff format with 5 Regions; not 2 like years past. Denison is Region 4; Salisbury Region 3. To be seen are brackets to the Final. Nice to play Big Red in an NC Final.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm Greetings Ned,
Glad you're ready for the 2020 season. We have a new playoff format with 5 Regions; not 2 like years past. Denison is Region 4; Salisbury Region 3. To be seen are brackets to the Final. Nice to play Big Red in an NC Final.
Apparently it's not just players that need to knock the offseason rust off! I had forgotten about the new region setup! Thanks MrLax, I'm gonna brush up on the new format so I can plot the Big Reds path in my minds eye!

Here's hoping a healthy and successful season for both teams!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:12 pm Final Score: 27-3

Curious to see the stat line in this one.
Final Score: 27-3

Stats from the game
https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/ ... 2_5uzz.xml

I will say, I would not be surprised if some of these stats change. This was a neutral site game at Cardinal Gibbons, HS and some times stats change after reviewing the tape when the usual crew isn't there. For instance, a few players I expected to see stats from did not appear in the game. Whether that is because they did not record a stat or did not play, I'm not 100%

Goalie: Ellis got the start in cage, giving up 1 goal on 1 shot. Warren shortly followed facing 4 shots and making 3 saves. Local (NC) freshman Riley Myer 1GA and 1SV

Midfield: Bromwell records a hat-trick, Wongus added a goal, freshmen Van Parker (2,1) and Luke Nestor (2,0), as well as sophomore Gibbs (2,0), all make their presence felt. Parker & Nestor's goals coming early in the 2nd quarter tells me they are seeing significant reps as a freshman :D Assuming Dembeck got reps at midfield, he notched a pair (2,0).

FO: 26 for 32 as a team. Malamphy leads the way going 14-19 and Sweeney and Thompson both 100% and Logue going 5-6. Sounds like quite an arsenal at the X. Tyler Thompson also scored a goal.

SSDM: Tough to say how they did without actually seeing it. However, when you hold your opponent to 3 goals, I think you did the group had a decent day. With all that being said, Saulino did not record a single state and appears may have not played. Just something to look at for the future. What once could have been the deepest group with Greik, Ford, and Saulino, looks a little different at the moment. Jackson Woodward scored a goal, so that transition from LSM appears to be going well. Cannot confirm if Hunter Mason played LSM or SSDM, but he got some reps and spent a little bit of time in the sin bin for unnecessary roughness. Also hats off to the D, SSDM, and LSMs for going 13-13 on clears.

Attack: Ferrara picks up where he left off going (4,2), Moroney's comeback tour starts off with a solid game (2,2), Melton at QB (1,4), and Armstrong (2,1) round out the group. Plenty of firepower. Man up went 1-3

LSM: Murphy notched a goal and O'Callaghan did not appear to play (or at least did not register a stat or was recorded).

Defense: Bork, Kness, Apgar get the start down low. As a team, they only gave up 11 shots and 3 goals. Man down defense was 100% on 3 opportunities, and no close defender made a penalty.

Assuming there were no injuries, this would be one of the best outcomes of this trip. Showoff your power to attract a few local recruits in the area, get plenty of reps for everyone and head back to the shore 1-0. Looking forward to tuning in next Saturday vs. Lynchburg.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

That score is more reflective of what Berry is than Salisbury. Let’s get a look at the Lynchburg game which will say a lot about both teams. Salisbury will be a big winner at the dot and with that should cruise over Lynchburg. If you want a shot at the Gulls you have to hold them below 55% on face offs and hope you have a huge day in the nets. Gulls dominated the game at the end of the year against Lynchburg.. I don’t think they will get picked off early in the season like they have in the past. Gulls will score over 15
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I didn't notice Saulino or O'Callaghan on the game Roster. Maybe somebody can give us some insight.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm I didn't notice Saulino or O'Callaghan on the game Roster. Maybe somebody can give us some insight.
Hello MrLax- I think the stats crew missed them- One of the players stated they both played.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

COGULL wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm I didn't notice Saulino or O'Callaghan on the game Roster. Maybe somebody can give us some insight.
Hello MrLax- I think the stats crew missed them- One of the players stated they both played.
Yeah as I mentioned I think there will be some recalculating and additions to the stat line once they get their hand on film. Didnt surprise me given it's a neutral site with a crew that maybe unfamiliar with the rosters.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/ ... 0202nyilf9

A cleaned up recap of today’s game; corrected stats.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Happy opening weekend Shore!

Not sure if you attended the game, but I'd like to hear opinions about how folks think the offense played "as a unit" in today's game.

The Gulls are rolling some sturdy boys out on those first two lines which should present problems to other teams (Brom 6'-4" 200 lb's, Wongus 6'-1" 195 lb's. Thrasher great name 6'-1" 212 lb's, Nestor 6'-2" 190 lb's, Gibbs 6'-1" 190 lb's, Dembeck 6' 190 lb's, Posner 5'-11 180 lb's & Harbottle 5'10" 178 lb's)- As a group, it looks like we have ourselves some promising shooters who can stretch opposing defenses with their outside shooting and finish feeds inside well. As this group's confidence grows and the chemistry between the mids and attack progresses, it's not hard to imagine opposing defenses consistently being forced to slide and leaving other offensive Gulls with time and room to finish or make that extra pass for high-percentage shots. This is the key IMHO. If you look at last year's team, I believe it was unselfish play and the trust between players which contributed most to the improved offensive play between the '18 & '19 seasons - It's obviously going to be important for them to focus on possessing the ball to rest our defense while wearing down the opposition's. With the talent at both X and defensive end of the field, the Gulls should have the upper hand when it comes to dictating pace of games. As always, it'll come down to the little things, (i.e., avoiding ill advised shots-especially early in the shot clock, making sure there's a man back when shots are taken, staying out of the penalty box & limiting unforced turnovers,etc.). As we've heard from both coaches and captains during past seasons, it's all about each player doing their job... "No heros, just Gulls"

Far stiffer challenges loom on the horizon for this team. If the Gulls can make steady improvements to offensive chemistry, be patient with the ball & minimize unforced errors, they have the horses to be a special group. Next week will tell us a lot more about where this team is currently at and what they'll need to work on. Until then...

GO GULLS !!!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Hey Co,
Unfortunately, I was not able to get down to Raleigh. I can only go off what I saw in the stats, which I expect to be updated as well. Obviously, I think the biggest takeaways for me is the fact they learned from last year's game and that some younger guys played some significant time and were successful. Regardless of who you are playing, confidence and chemistry go a long way, especially to those younger guys. At the end of the day, I am not going to beat up on the Gulls because of who was scheduled. I personally love the idea that they traveled down to Raleigh and showed off to an area that typically doesn't see them in action. I would guess that they had a handful of recruits from that area show up to the game as well.

Next week is clearly a different type of test than this year's Berry team, but I'm sure this game (despite the lopsidedness) will show some flaws that the Gulls will look to sort out this week. The Gulls never take these early ODAC games lightly. Whether it be Lynchburg or Roanoke, it was always good to get after those guys. Heck a few of us joked around that as much as we liked to play at Sea Gull Stadium, playing down at Lynchburg was a lot of fun. I'm up in the air to whether I'll be able to make Saturday's game, but regardless I'll be streaming and hope to provide a more in-depth review of what I saw, rather than just box scores. I'm really interested to see how the potential Kevin Murphy (LSM) vs. Kevin Rogers (M) match up. A nice pre-season all-American match up. I'll do a little write up of my things to watch later this week.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:10 pm Heck a few of us joked around that as much as we liked to play at Sea Gull Stadium, playing down at Lynchburg was a lot of fun. I'm up in the air to whether I'll be able to make Saturday's game, but regardless I'll be streaming and hope to provide a more in-depth review of what I saw, rather than just box scores. I'm really interested to see how the potential Kevin Murphy (LSM) vs. Kevin Rogers (M) match up. A nice pre-season all-American match up. I'll do a little write up of my things to watch later this week.
Agreed, should be a great match up between Murphy & Rodgers. I've heard the same thing about playing at Lynchburg... great environment to play in- wet-campus, rowdy fans & field surrounded by the dorms with students watching form windows, etc. I'd love to be at "every game", but it's just not in the cards, but I'll will be attending my first WOTS this season - If the game is as close as either of the past past two years (lord I hope not), it'll be a good one ! Enjoy this weekend !

GO GULLS !!
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Salisbury looked scary good for February. Chemistry looks to be very good among both the offense and defense. The goalie spot looks to be filled by TJ Ellis who had an awesome game! Have two weeks off to fix up on the clears and other small things. Gulls are legit.
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Not much going on here....

Any insight on today’s game? Was it the “didn’t get off the bus” in the first half or did stevens play a better first half?
On the other hand the first attack looked awesome in the second half, the comeback is a good sign of a championship team.
swf

Post by swf »

I'd appreciate some insight also.

Watching the Stevens game I just didn't see an NC Gull team out there. FOs were neutral at about 50%. Goal tending is trending better which is a big plus. D kicked it up a notch in 2nd half but first 30 minutes was sub par for a Gull team with this quality players. I don't see a take out defender who would have lead to a NC 2019 by shutting down Krug in the 2019 Cabrini playoff game.

So when the opponents are on a roll - use a zone 3 -3 or maybe 2 - 3 with a shadow on a dominant opponent. Every ranked D 1 team has it in their quiver. Gull numbers are decent on Man Down which is basically what I'm suggesting. {Apgar is a free ranging zone defender, not a take out guy} Think about how to use the Twin Towers in the future. If Dave Pietramala had the Gull defenders, he'd get his contract renewed.

Offense, great players but still no AA QB. Melton, Ferrara, Armstrong terrific goal scorers. Bromwell basically an attack sniper, A+.

Wongus jitterbugs then unloads; unstoppable when he's on target but don't bet your lunch on him hitting the net. Gull O middie play; Set pick then roll off to weak side 12 yards out doesn't fool anybody so get a new one like Super Sam Bradman and Marvelous Matt Cannone used to delight the fans in 2012.

Clearing is still a problem. You gotta be joking? No. I could excuse it for a fast break offense which the 2020 Gulls do not have.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

swf wrote:48 time=1583538576 user_id=1489]
I'd appreciate some insight also.

Watching the Stevens game I just didn't see an NC Gull team out there. FOs were neutral at about 50%. Goal tending is trending better which is a big plus. D kicked it up a notch in 2nd half but first 30 minutes was sub par for a Gull team with this quality players. I don't see a take out defender who would have lead to a NC 2019 by shutting down Krug in the 2019 Cabrini playoff game.

So when the opponents are on a roll - use a zone 3 -3 or maybe 2 - 3 with a shadow on a dominant opponent. Every ranked D 1 team has it in their quiver. Gull numbers are decent on Man Down which is basically what I'm suggesting. {Apgar is a free ranging zone defender, not a take out guy} Think about how to use the Twin Towers in the future. If Dave Pietramala had the Gull defenders, he'd get his contract renewed.

Offense, great players but still no AA QB. Melton, Ferrara, Armstrong terrific goal scorers. Bromwell basically an attack sniper, A+.

Wongus jitterbugs then unloads; unstoppable when he's on target but don't bet your lunch on him hitting the net. Gull O middie play; Set pick then roll off to weak side 12 yards out doesn't fool anybody so get a new one like Super Sam Bradman and Marvelous Matt Cannone used to delight the fans in 2012.

Clearing is still a problem. You gotta be joking? No. I could excuse it for a fast break offense which the 2020 Gulls do not have.
I've gotta disagree with you on a few things.

First - There will be spans of time during games when the SU won't be perfect... The first half of the game was littered with Gull penalties & I believe they were down two at one point. It doesn't take many penalties to affect momentum and a team's aggressiveness on the field. Penalties can be fixed and I have no doubt Berkman will continue to clean up that issue as the season goes on. There may have been some sluggishness in the first half based on traveling and playing a rare midweek game- We all like to believe it shouldn't matter, but it can and does at every level of athletics. As frustrating as it may be to to Gull-Nation, I like to look at it as a learning opportunity which will serve them well later in the season.

Second - I'll take Malamphy - You can have anyone else you like....

Defense- Much of what I said above applies here as well, but to ignore the that Stevens only scored "1" goal in the 2nd half is missing the more important point about how a team responds to adversity. Even the single Duck goal scored in the 2nd half should probably been called in the crease. Haven't seen much written about it, but Noah Kness has been out which pulls Murphy back to close-D. Don't get me wrong- Murphy's great at close and got a lot of experience last year, but I think the defensive unit as a whole wreaks more havoc on opposing offenses when Murphy's running as the 1st team LSM. I'm hearing Kness will likely be back soon... I don't think zone philosophy will ever weigh heavy while Berkman's behind the wheel- With Berkman's ability to make mid-game adjustments and only giving up 6.8 G's per game, I'll take our chances playing more man while rolling out the likes of Murphy, Apgar, Bork, Kness, Greik, Saulino, Woodward....

Offense- "Great players" - I agree (much like at D/rope & FO units)- Personally, I think this group of attack have playing styles that compliment each other very well... and all three without question are AA material
If we're talking Bradman and Cannone, why not just pick up the Gates brothers, Rabil, Pat Spencer... you get my point.

I think you forgot Moroney who's got 17 goals, shooting 40 % and averaging 4 points per game & only one turnover (not too shabby in my book...) Plays tough, finishes inside and shoot from distance. Watch his inside play and the subtle picks he's setting to free up or give room to his teammates - It's easy to get wrapped up in just the goal totals, but this kid is a quite a player byond just shooting the ball. Moroney has experience in big games including starts including the '18 CAC & NC games. Expecting big things from this kid in 2020.

Let's just agree to redact the ridiculous "QB" comment- I've been watching this kid Melton since he got to Salisbury, and beyond maybe Blondino, I don't think there's been another player who's made the teammates around him better than Mr. Melton. Three more Assists will move Melton past Dave Cottle into 6th place "all time" in Salisbury history. He's currently sitting 9th on Salisbury's "all time" list for Points and will very likely break into the top 10 list for goals during this season. He's been a 2 year Captain and four year starter while never shooting below 40%. Melton started in two NC games while scoring 4 goals and an assist- Take a look back at Melton's assist to Moroney during the 3rd quarter of the Stevens game when the team needed a boost - That's what a "QB" looks like and the rest of his resume speaks for itself- He'll be missed when he's gone-

Cross Ferrara - This kid is a freak athlete and has "All American" written all over him. He's big, strong, quick & fast. Ferrara possesses a connon for a shot and creates havoc when dodging toward the net. What should scare opposing teams is that Ferrara is beginning to see-and-assist his teammates after forcing the opposing slide - If this continues to trend in the right direction, Ferrara could become almost unstoppable with targets like Melton, Moroney & Armstrong finding additional space to operate in. Anyone who watches this kid knows he's special.

Brom is dodging hard and we've been able to see the power behind the shot. I can also envision Bromwell roaming the crease area. He has the ability to finish close and his big frame can be used to screen goalies. I see Bromwell making big strides as the season progresses and he begins to identify where he can best contribute- His ability to shoot from range will stretch defenses giving an already lethal attack additional room to operate.

Armstrong brings experience, chemistry and great vision to midfield the position. He appears to have embraced the move the midi which more importantly tells me what kind of teammate he is.

Wongus - If Wongus can begin consistently hitting the opposite low corner on alley dodges, Gull fans can start celebrating #13

Logan Posner, who's got a blend of vision & ability to shoot has been a nice addition to the midfield- I'm expecting to see more contributions as he becomes more familiar with the offense. [/list]

When you mix in the the emerging play an potential of the other midfielders (Dembeck & Thrasher) the future looks bright from where I'm standing.

The goal is the same every year - It's to Win the National Championship & the Gulls would have it no other way-

Bring it home Boys !!!
swf

Post by swf »

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed post.

I agree with you on Malamphy; I'd pick him also. ~50% isn't all that bad.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

There is a thing about Bret the Bull Malamphy that is special for fans.

Win, lose or draw,he just loves being out on the pitch and it shows. Denver had a fogo couple years ago who I think started out @ F&M; same ethos. He snags one, fights his way south and moves the net, everybody lets out a yell.

I know Berkman looking to #13 (wants to keep you healthy) but if you see daylight, rip in a goal. Great morale boost for your teammates and your fans love it.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

This thread has been in "radio silence" since Salisbury's last game and the abrupt end of the season.
I'm sure the Gulls feel they were robbed of another Natty ring - or likely at least another Memorial Day weekend appearance. I would agree - looked like Berkman really had assembled a formidable team this year.

Any early word on which seniors may take advantage of the chance to come back for another run (assuming the NCAA allows it)? Interested in how things might shake out for the Gulls.
Last edited by Dr. Pretorious on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Apparently, Tufts already won the March Championship. There can't be two winners...
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Evening Pretorious-

Yeah, tough pill to swallow especially considering how well they were playing. I'm hearing there could be a good number of seniors who could and would like to be back for 2021 (really hard to tell at this point who's serious vs. a player's emotions doing the talking). I know at least some of the starting seniors have a semester remaining. I'm wondering who that will work if a player completes their degree in 4 1/2 years - Would they be able to play without taking a class in Spring ? Do they skip Fall Ball and complete classes in the Spring ? If the Gulls could bring back the core of Seniors, you gotta like their chances.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”