Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:10 pm If its a new regime - I could see a new coach being tantalized by Williams and that's about it. Of course, bringing Williams back if both parties want - means you are putting Grimes on middie for a year - hard to argue with H16 or anybody that thinks Grimes should never leave the field.
My first interview question for a prospective new coach would be:

Would you stick with a proven 45% goalie or would you give someone else a chance between the pipes?

If he answers that he'd give someone else a chance, he'd go on my short list of potential hires.

If there are any college goalies out there who can save ~50% and looking for a new opportunity, please consider the Blue Jays. They have a desperate need for your services.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:55 pm
Which exact offensive personnel return next year should be the very least of your concerns. With or without Cole, we'll be in good shape at that end of the field with a healthy Epstein, Murphy, Angelus, Degnon, Zinn, Baskin, and this freshmen class coming in.
I disagree. There are issues across the entire team - offensively and defensively. Most of the issues is not enough talent or just a mishmash of talent where too many guys have the same role and not enough diversity. For example, there is no guy that can just absolutely rip it from outside. Maybe Degnon but he isn't at the level of guys from the past. Zinn has a decent cannon but can't hit the lake while standing on a boat.

The team is still being directed by an inferior OC and restrained by DP's philosophy of choking the air out of the ball. There is no pushing pace of play that is required in the shot clock era. Sitting back and letting a defense get set-up and working the ball around to get the shortie match-up or hang a defender up in front of the cage is pre-shot clock era offense. You need to be constantly attacking.

Further, as I have repeatedly said numerous times. Why would a top attackman go to Hopkins under the current offensive set-up? I know people will point to recruiting but ND typically ends up with top 5-10 recruiting classes in football but never seems to be able to get to the championship game - i.e. if you don't know by know that Hopkins recruiting classes are overranked, I'm not sure what else I can tell you that would convince you otherwise.

The same can be said of defensiveman given DP's very passive defensive tendencies.

Obviously a health Epstein helps but those guys weren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard this year. They will get better but enough to compensate for the fact most teams will be coming back with pretty much the same teams as last year. Probably not.

There is a reason the team two weeks ago went unranked for the first time in 40+ years. It is certainly coaching but talent is a problem too.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

There appears to be an influx of talent coming in with the freshmen class, but I agree that the offense and defense are both from another era.
There's also a huge problem with ground balls and clearing. The Jays were ranked in the bottom third of teams in just about every statistical category except perhaps for faceoffs in 2020. That doesn't play so well for the staff's job security after a decade of mediocrity.
I guess we'll hear something one way or the other by June 1.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:38 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:55 pm
Which exact offensive personnel return next year should be the very least of your concerns. With or without Cole, we'll be in good shape at that end of the field with a healthy Epstein, Murphy, Angelus, Degnon, Zinn, Baskin, and this freshmen class coming in.
I disagree. There are issues across the entire team - offensively and defensively. Most of the issues is not enough talent or just a mishmash of talent where too many guys have the same role and not enough diversity. For example, there is no guy that can just absolutely rip it from outside. Maybe Degnon but he isn't at the level of guys from the past. Zinn has a decent cannon but can't hit the lake while standing on a boat.

The team is still being directed by an inferior OC and restrained by DP's philosophy of choking the air out of the ball. There is no pushing pace of play that is required in the shot clock era. Sitting back and letting a defense get set-up and working the ball around to get the shortie match-up or hang a defender up in front of the cage is pre-shot clock era offense. You need to be constantly attacking.

Further, as I have repeatedly said numerous times. Why would a top attackman go to Hopkins under the current offensive set-up? I know people will point to recruiting but ND typically ends up with top 5-10 recruiting classes in football but never seems to be able to get to the championship game - i.e. if you don't know by know that Hopkins recruiting classes are overranked, I'm not sure what else I can tell you that would convince you otherwise.

The same can be said of defensiveman given DP's very passive defensive tendencies.

Obviously a health Epstein helps but those guys weren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard this year. They will get better but enough to compensate for the fact most teams will be coming back with pretty much the same teams as last year. Probably not.

There is a reason the team two weeks ago went unranked for the first time in 40+ years. It is certainly coaching but talent is a problem too.
- Degnon isn't at the level of guys from the past? Who exactly are you talking about? Fraser? The most goals he ever scored was 16 his senior year. Degnon had 11 through six games on a 38% shooting percentage. He very much qualifies as a guy who can "absolutely rip it from the outside" and he was doing it at a better clip than anyone we've had in quite some time.

- "Those guys aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard this year"—again, who are you talking about? Once Murphy was inserted as a starter, he responded with 11 points in three games. Imagine what he might do next year with a healthy Epstein there to take the attention off him. Angelus had eight points on *extremely* limited playing time. I already mentioned Degnon. Zinn's shooting continues to be a struggle, no doubt about that, but he did match his entire 2019 output through the first four games this year, and that was while, as you put it, not being able to hit the lake from a boat.

- I don't know if you know anything about Grimes or McDermott but it's not just empty recruiting talk. Those two can absolutely play and will make an impact immediately.

Here is why a recruit might want to play in a Hopkins offense:

2018: #3 adjusted offensive efficiency
2017: #9
2016: #3
2015: #2
2014: #10

(Don't know what it was in 2019—Analytics Lacrosse didn't compile stats last year)

Let me guess, you're going to attack the stats now too and say they're outdated? Adjusted offensive efficiency is the best stat that exists for measuring how good an offense actually is.

There will be plenty of talent to work with on offense next year no matter who is coaching them. The defense is a far, far bigger concern and yet all anyone wants to talk about is the offense. The stats don't back that up, sorry.
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Since we have time- let’s list possible replacements. Let’s take the list one step forward and build out staffs for the new HC
Sooo potential:

HC
OC
DC

And go.....
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WHOWHATWHERE wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 am Since we have time- let’s list possible replacements. Let’s take the list one step forward and build out staffs for the new HC
Sooo potential:

HC
OC
DC

And go.....
HC - Greg Roman
OC - Shack Stanwick
DC - Jameison Koesterer who would work with the FO and midfields as well as overall D coordination

VA - Larry Quinn - he just needs some talent to work with. He got Eric Schneider up to speed and we made the FF with him in goal.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am
WHOWHATWHERE wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 am Since we have time- let’s list possible replacements. Let’s take the list one step forward and build out staffs for the new HC
Sooo potential:

HC
OC
DC

And go.....
HC - Greg Roman
OC - Shack Stanwick
DC - Jameison Koesterer who would work with the FO and midfields as well as overall D coordination

VA - Larry Quinn - he just needs some talent to work with. He got Eric Schneider up to speed and we made the FF with him in goal.
Classic. Thread is off to a great start already.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am
Sooo potential:

HC
OC
DC

And go.....
HC - Greg Roman
OC - Shack Stanwick

Pretty sure Hop is not going to have the resources to compete with the Ravens for Greg Roman's services. Plus, Lamar Jackson is not walking through JHU's door anytime soon!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hey, you never know!
Think would Roman could do for our offense! LoL
I meant Greg Raymond. My bad.
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

And I was hoping Bill Belichick would take the OC job.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I think if one more person suggests Steele as a coach I might go chug some bleach. Maybe a coach with some men’s college lacrosse experience is what’s called for if there is no renewal.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 am Hey, you never know!
Raymond isn’t coming. I’d suggest you guys dig up John Haus’ number and see what he’s up to these days.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Raymond isn’t coming. I’d suggest you guys dig up John Haus’ number and see what he’s up to these days.
Do you say that as a Hobart fan who hopes he doesn't leave or do you actually know something? Because the idea that he wouldn't at least seriously consider the job if offered is preposterous based on publicly available information.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

John Haus is just in his 3rd year as an assistant at PSU. PSU's offense has been doing pretty well.
I think Hopkins might be looking for someone with a little more experience.
Live Free or Die!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm
John Haus is just in his 3rd year as an assistant at PSU. PSU's offense has been doing pretty well.
I think Hopkins might be looking for someone with a little more experience.
I suspect he meant Haus the Elder in his trolling attempt
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm this is correct. I don't want any of these srs back except in the stands. The results the last 2 years speak for themselves. I wonder how fast the university will move on Petro, the sooner a new staff can get started the better.
I'm sorry - this is one of your more idiotic statements. By that logic every Princeton fan should be over the moon if Sowers can't come back because Princeton has never even made the tournament after 3 years of watching that bum. Now am I comparing Williams to Sowers? 100% absolutely not. Sowers is a generational player - the best of the best. Am I saying Williams should come back? Fairly indifferent actually and no I don't care about the hyperbole attached to the MSM game. He does bring the following arguments to the table:
- Past 2 full years he has averaged 47 points - not what Hopkins fans hoped for when he was at Loyola High but its not complete chopped liver
- He would be - duh - a 5th year player - Assuming Smith does not return - the Hopkins attack - sans Williams would be comprised of Epstein (essentially one year of experience), Murphy (6 games), Angelus (6 games) and a bunch of incoming freshmen - yes you can throw Degnon and Baskin in the mix but I am going to pick Grimes to take that left attack spot over those two and I think Baskin is a kid who can be effective in the two man game isolated on a shorty but has a difficult time with constant close D pressure
- You can make an argument that a group of better dodgers and outside shooting would help him immeasurably
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Grimes under 19 team is a middie
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 pm Grimes under 19 team is a middie
That's because that team also has Brennan O'Neill who occupies the same part of the field as Grimes and is maybe the best high school lacrosse prospect ever. It's great that Grimes is versatile enough to play midfield when needed—I watched some of the U19 games last summer and he definitely looked comfortable there—but for us, he's going to play attack.

I remember before Epstein got to campus some people were prognosticating that he'd start at midfield because the attack already had Williams, Smith, and Marr and there was a belief, true or not, that Petro was hesitant to start freshmen on attack. Nope. Attack from day one. Grimes will be like that. You put that kid into the starting lineup and don't look back.
molo

Post by molo »

I don't get to many hs games anymore. Isn't he the second best tall lefty attackman on his hs team?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

[/quote]
I'm sorry - this is one of your more idiotic statements.
[/quote]

williams had 4 goals on 31 shots and who knows how many of those goals were after it didn't matter against the non towson/msm part of the schedule. He was supposed to be an offensive leader this year and they couldn't put it together. He got a few to save an msm game but that "win" felt more like a loss. Results are what they are. I'd rather give a kid who's going to play the next 2-3 years that time next spring rather than someone who has been here and mostly didn't show up in the 4 biggest games of the season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”