Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

General Chatter
youthathletics

Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone doing anything interesting, plans, projects, things to clear your mind?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
holmes435

Re: Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

Post by holmes435 »

Luckily my business is still up and running even with minimal employee input and we will only see a major impact if our suppliers have issues or a .gov crackdown on movement. So that's #1 - keep money, if not bread, on the table.

We bought a house about 4 months ago, my 4th home owned over the years (not all at the same time). It's hopefully the last purchase or rental for a long time as we have moved a lot all over the country over the past couple of decades. The To-Do list keeps me busy without the kids.

1. We have a 2-story deck, so I'm currently in the process of screening in part of it and putting a drainage system under the top deck.
2. Refurbishing some bikes that were left outside for a year due to hurricane damage.
3. A front yard arbor fell down before we bought the place and wasn't easily fixed due to a gas line. That's on the to-do list to fix and upgrade.
4. Put down some gravel in the front yard where the postman gets to our mailbox and guests park. It's just dirt now and gets big ruts.
5. Fix our rotted outdoor shower.
6. Put up some trim around the upstairs windows and various ceilings

But I'm gonna need to put in time with the kids:

1. Tossing the ball around as much as possible (the oldest at 5 years old likes playing goalie because the big stick makes it easier to catch the ball :lol: )
2. Fishing on the Chesapeake (surf fishing)
3. Trying to limit TV time, this is going to be hard without going crazy, so picking out good movies
4. Lots of Lego building and board games.
5. Teaching the oldest to bike without training wheels
6. Lots of walks around the neighborhood
7. T-Ball practice at home since the league is postponed.
8. Various lessons and such recommended by daycare.

I know that's not going to be enough, so I'm eager to hear what people are up to.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I'm a homebody naturally so this is no great adjustment. Watching movies on laptop. Doing puzzles. A fun little pastime that the internet has made a lot less space needy. https://www.jigsawplanet.com/

Watching the news occasionally. Not much.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:15 am Luckily my business is still up and running even with minimal employee input and we will only see a major impact if our suppliers have issues or a .gov crackdown on movement. So that's #1 - keep money, if not bread, on the table.

We bought a house about 4 months ago, my 4th home owned over the years (not all at the same time). It's hopefully the last purchase or rental for a long time as we have moved a lot all over the country over the past couple of decades. The To-Do list keeps me busy without the kids.

1. We have a 2-story deck, so I'm currently in the process of screening in part of it and putting a drainage system under the top deck.
2. Refurbishing some bikes that were left outside for a year due to hurricane damage.
3. A front yard arbor fell down before we bought the place and wasn't easily fixed due to a gas line. That's on the to-do list to fix and upgrade.
4. Put down some gravel in the front yard where the postman gets to our mailbox and guests park. It's just dirt now and gets big ruts.
5. Fix our rotted outdoor shower.
6. Put up some trim around the upstairs windows and various ceilings

But I'm gonna need to put in time with the kids:

1. Tossing the ball around as much as possible (the oldest at 5 years old likes playing goalie because the big stick makes it easier to catch the ball :lol: )
2. Fishing on the Chesapeake (surf fishing)
3. Trying to limit TV time, this is going to be hard without going crazy, so picking out good movies
4. Lots of Lego building and board games.
5. Teaching the oldest to bike without training wheels
6. Lots of walks around the neighborhood
7. T-Ball practice at home since the league is postponed.
8. Various lessons and such recommended by daycare.

I know that's not going to be enough, so I'm eager to hear what people are up to.
WFH. at the inlaws!

inlaws did the same with the deck- drainage under, then screening in. framing started last year but then- winter.

ill probably start some aeration soon- i'll do it manually- then seeding, fertilizer. damn if i can't give them the best lawn on the block, what with them letting me stay here!

otherwise i've done a bit of volunteering where i've had time. but even that's reduced, given lockdowns. so now im playing with the felines and reading FL.

oh, and working!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Westfield Montgomery Mall here in Bethesda is very empty. Some stores are closed.

Yesterday, I was out in Rock Creek park and it was rather full.

Still, a lot of empty shelves in the grocery stores in the evening. The hoarding goes on!
Got Toilet Paper? :D
Live Free or Die!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm
Got Toilet Paper? :D

The local Target ran out of but now has toilet paper. Buyers are restricted to only a set of bog rolls. No big st!nk (I was about to use a naughty term but thought better of it) as far as I'm concerned. But the real problem is that they ran out of Spam! Argh! I sent an email to Hormel and they tell me they will be loading up the trucks and shipping out some stock soon.

Well, let's hope they will.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Still working everyday. It’s nice out there. No DMV traffic, hardly anyone at their places of work, phones aren’t ringing, EMAILS are going bonkers with everyone trying to justify doing “work” all of a sudden. No change here....yet.

At home....all family is under one roof for an extended time, quite nice....for the time being. Funny thing is the wife is like “ when can they go back to school” they are leaving their crap everywhere. She dropped the hammer this evening, and told em this ain’t no college dorm, clean up or else. She said it in only the way a mom can say it, with a smile but she meant business.

Otherwise, my backyard has been inundated with neighborhood kids playing lax....upwards of 8-10 when I get home, just shooting around and tearing up the lawn (less grass to cut).

Making the most of it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Working through schoolwork with my 5 yo. Making a game out of it, and taking the lessons 'with' her. So she gets to play teacher.

And working----running stills with only one of our three production employees in one section of our building at a time. And we have plenty of sanitizer on hand "vodka", so we're working with nitrile gloves, and sanitizing everything. They're eating in their cars so their food doesn't enter the building.

Trying to keep everyone from getting this thing.

Nice to hear all my fellow posters are doing well through this thing....
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Likewise, I am also heartened by the fact that so many people are motivated by a desire to prevent the spread of this illness such as through taking sanitary measures and by avoiding large crowds. What is sad is the excessive hoarding that has proven to be an inconvenience to many others such as through shortages of household essentials, long lines at stores, and tensions as people have fought over purchasing certain limited items on store shelves. Hopefully, local political leaders and clergy will convince people to share or to refrain from hoarding as that idjit-in-chief obviously does not have the character to take the proper initiative in this regard.

Stay safe ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:47 am
a fan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Likewise, I am also heartened by the fact that so many people are motivated by a desire to prevent the spread of this illness such as through taking sanitary measures and by avoiding large crowds. What is sad is the excessive hoarding that has proven to be an inconvenience to many others such as through shortages of household essentials, long lines at stores, and tensions as people have fought over purchasing certain limited items on store shelves. Hopefully, local political leaders and clergy will convince people to share or to refrain from hoarding as that idjit-in-chief obviously does not have the character to take the proper initiative in this regard.

Stay safe ...
I have the luxury of working from home - as a college professor rapidly converting all my courses this semester to online (decision made last Friday and complete conversion to be done by tomorrow). First it was 3 weeks, and now the entire rest of the semester.

I also am widowed and live in a big house with a single 15 year old dog. Since returning home from a trip on Sunday, I have ventured out just once for a meeting Monday night (and a trip to Target to get soap dispensers and gas/food at Costco). Last gathering of that sort for a while.

Target even in a fairly deep red part of South Carolina was eerily empty Monday night. Costco had made a serpentine aisle outside out of stacked pallets to force anyone entering the store into a single file line, as well as limiting the number of people inside at once. There was a person holding up shoppers to allow them to a checkout lane only when the currently checking out customer was fully loaded on the belt and was partway through the process of checking out. Idea was to keep 6 feet between each person.

The Presbyterian church I attend was planning on normal activities up until Tuesday - but quickly cancelled Wed. night activities, and will have a minister-only streamed service on Sunday. Interesting because it is a new interim person in his first time in our pulpit - and most of the congregation has not met him.

My daughter, who lives in Wisconsin and is a doctor (late in her second year of residency) has been able to call me more frequently this week. Likes to talk either on the way into work (about a half hour) or back. Currently working 6 pm to 6 am in the hospital. She is responsible for scheduling the residents as associate chief, and already has to consider how to deal with the inevitable issue of doctors in outlying offices who themselves become ill and therefore cannot host a resident for rotation. A couple of nights ago she said there were no cases in her hospital (70000 population city) but nearby Milwaukee has a few (where she actually lives).

The residency is for family practice - and their clinic has to modify their procedures for dealing with incoming patients (mostly Medicaid/Medicare) who might be infected. The idea is to have a fully gowned/masked person designated for screening all patients, and anyone who might have the symptoms consistent with COVID-19 to be directed to some very specific exam rooms. But as a note to all of you - if you think you or someone you are with have symptoms - call first. Best to let a professional help to determine where/how you should deal with your symptoms, whether to stay home or to go to an emergency clinic or an actual ER. Don't just walk into an office waiting room.

Even here in SC the governor has ordered all restaurants to have takeout/delivery only. So a very quiet town for the moment.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.mlb.com/news/watch-2018-201 ... -on-mlb-tv

for those stuck indoors, this might provide some good entertainment

DMac

Post by DMac »

As for yesterday's Whatcha Doing?, I turned to the Medicine Game. Buddy stopped by with a cooler of beer. That turned to moving the picnic table out (with a bottle of wine and candle on it just for effect) as well as a gutted gas grill which makes for a damn nice make shift fire pit. Plenty of fire wood around, got that baby blazing pretty nice which absolutely took the wind chill factor out of the day (was in the low 30s with a breeze but plenty of sun...very nice day). Got the sticks and ball out and played some catch...ALWAYS is a pleasure. It's a corner lot, got a lot of horn toots and thumbs up from passers by. Was a pretty fun day all in all. This is for certain, the more alcohol the the poorer the stick handling. Started out pretty good, not so much by day's end. :D Fun day.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

What else am I doing?

Well, mopping the floor every day just in case I bring in germ filled dirt from outdoors, checking out faves on You Tube and some 1970s made-for-tv movies, reviewing some old recipes, and decided to re-read some classical books. Have about another 100 pages to go in Melville's Moby Dick and plan on re-reading Joyce's Ulysses and Santayana's The Last Puritan. I may have mentioned in the LP forum that I've read Puritan four times but feel compelled to read this gem once again.

Years ago I thought I might read Anna Karenina and War and Peace but just never got around to it. But I have read other books of Tolstoi, all of which were great.

Come to think of it, perhaps I'll again go for The Education of Henry Adams but dunno for sure. Luckily the volume I own has large print and my eyes are getting punier with age - should have no problem with reading it again. But at least my memory remains sharp though I wonder if it, too, is in decline.

Say, I just heard something on the radio - there are reports of people engaging in "stress eating". That is, they are getting so antsy and food at home is so readily available, that they are snacking away like crazy. Anybody else having this problem?

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Still working every day.....considered essential. Traffic is bliss, people are a bit tight but very courteous and more pleasant, eye contact, smiles, head nods, etc.

My electric bill has doubled with everyone home, and it’s quite nice having the kids here for longer duration....where as otherwise it’s a text occasionally. Learning more about each of them....some things I wish is hadn’t heard but the open adult conversations at dinner are something I lol forward to each day.

And online college. Good lord what a difference between a state public college and service academy, between the two. The SA is no joke and very prepared, didn’t miss much of a beat....grinding until late each evening.

Making the most of it.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

You may recall from the old LP forum that I mentioned having worked as a translator since I am very fluent in Spanish. Perhaps my favorite phrase from that beautiful language is recordar es vivir which translates as "to remember is to live" or "to remember is to live again". It is a very positive expression which means that one should always cherish one's memories because to do so is life enhancing. With all this time on my hands and since we are in state wide lock down (more or less) I decided to look back on a few great memories of Yankee baseball. A great way to start is the exciting 1996 World Series and this video shows some great highlights of those games.

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 pm
Say, I just heard something on the radio - there are reports of people engaging in "stress eating". That is, they are getting so antsy and food at home is so readily available, that they are snacking away like crazy. Anybody else having this problem?
YES!!!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Nursing my pit bull Petey through surgery post op. Had surgery a wk ago Thurs, came home Mon. Had 12" incision in front of throat for surgery to repair Laryngl Paralysis -- partial paralysis of the larynx, would have eventually resulted in suffocation, if not treated. The procedure tie's back 1/2 of the larynx muscles which serve as a flap covering the wind pipe when swallowing. 10% get aspirational pneumonia immediately post op -- he did, requiring 2 days extra hospitilization on IV's.

Petey's home with me now, doing well, but getting 17 pills a day down his gullet is an ordeal for both of us. He's extorting me for food. Turns his nose up at every possible dog food combo, but eagerly accepts roasted chicken & bread dipped in the juices. If I won't eat it, he refuses.
His dog park posse is eagerly awaiting his return in a couple weeks (dogs don't have to socially distance).

Caring for Petey is a welcome distraction & gives me something to do while hunkered down at home.
Our dogs & cats are enjoying all the quality time. No time to worry or feel sorry for ourselves.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

old salt wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm Nursing my pit bull Petey through surgery post op. Had surgery a wk ago Thurs, came home Mon. Had 12" incision in front of throat for surgery to repair Laryngl Paralysis -- partial paralysis of the larynx, would have eventually resulted in suffocation, if not treated. The procedure tie's back 1/2 of the larynx muscles which serve as a flap covering the wind pipe when swallowing. 10% get aspirational pneumonia immediately post op -- he did, requiring 2 days extra hospitilization on IV's.

Petey's home with me now, doing well, but getting 17 pills a day down his gullet is an ordeal for both of us. He's extorting me for food. Turns his nose up at every possible dog food combo, but eagerly accepts roasted chicken & bread dipped in the juices. If I won't eat it, he refuses.
His dog park posse is eagerly awaiting his return in a couple weeks (dogs don't have to socially distance).

Caring for Petey is a welcome distraction & gives me something to do while hunkered down at home.
Our dogs & cats are enjoying all the quality time. No time to worry or feel sorry for ourselves.

I hope Pooch will be well soon.

But a caution if you please - when you feed him meats, please be very sure there are no spices in it: https://bit.ly/33OkzGj

njbill

Post by njbill »

Best to Petey. Speedy recovery.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The wlax daughter was really bummed about losing half her season and half her semester so I freshened up her bedroom with a new paint job. She wanted to move away from the 'middle school' color to a more mature color!

Also played HVAC guy and replaced the gas valve on the hot water heater, plus a tank flush. T'row maybe rotate the tires on the car. Feeling very handyman-ish.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”