FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Dr. Tact »

So the Maverick /IL poll has VT still at 18? Did they not see the result of the Cuse game? This seems like a record ranking (7-2)....
ThreeSeconds

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Apparently the RED card in Cuse / VT game was a culmination of fouls. From what I heard, the VT girl was jamming her stick at Hawryschuk’s neck throughout the first half. A hard foul in 2nd half by same girl on Hawryschuk brought out the RED.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:31 pm Apparently the RED card in Cuse / VT game was a culmination of fouls. From what I heard, the VT girl was jamming her stick at Hawryschuk’s neck throughout the first half. A hard foul in 2nd half by same girl on Hawryschuk brought out the RED.
Yeah, makes sense.. Letting VT know that persistent cross checking towards the shoulders /neck/head is dangerous play... Sounds like the red card got the desired effect of the hokies being a little more clean...
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am Here's where I am ahead of the tilt tonight in Evanston (BTN+):

1. UNC -- because UNC. Until and unless they lose, they're gonna stay here.
2. Notre Dame -- why No. 2 over Cuse? Because the Cuse had an 8 minute brain fart in the Dome, and have to pay for it.
3. Syracuse -- why No. 3 over Loyola? Because I went to graduate school there, MoFo; that's why.
4. Loyola -- this team should finish the regular season with a single loss.
5. NU -- still haven't factored in a Scane-less NU; if I have to, my guess is they slip to 7 or 8.

Now the hard(er) part:

6. Penn -- or Dartmouth? The Ivy is going to be a real war among the trio on the top.
7. Dartmouth -- they led UNH 12-0 at the half. UNH was once a pretty good program; they looked like a high school team in the first ten minutes in Hanover on Saturday.
8. SBU -- beat Towson and Princeton this week, neither game ever in doubt. Good team, not great. And Kennedy may be the fiercest midfielder in the women's game today.
9. USC -- I just cannot get this team into the rarefied air of the top five until they beat someone. Stretch their legs against ASU 3/13, and then feel the pain of playing SBU Sunday.
10. Florida -- I'm not sure how long they stay here. I can feel JMU, Richmond and, yes, Maryland breathing down their necks. Which is kinda gross.
11. Princeton -- look, three of my uncles and my niece went there, so...and F. Scott Fitzgerald. They gave SBU a creditable game; they are well coached and likely will not lose games they should not lose. Princeton's ranking will be sorted out by games against Florida, PSU, Dartmouth and Maryland. My guess is they drop. Sorry Uncle Jack (who is, happily, dead anyway).
12. JMU -- just getting better each week.
13. Richmond -- 7-0 and they've beaten...exactly one team whose star is falling, by a goal in OT. So....
14. Maryland -- two nice games, although Navy forgot how to play in the first half. I think Hofstra is a good team. CNR keeps playing the youngsters, and they keep getting better. She has four freshmen on the field at any given time. And it is only March.
15. Duke -- weird, right? Lose Olivia Jenner and Charlotte North, and they seem like a better team. Game against Quaker State on March 14 at home.
16. Michigan -- fine, whatevs....
17. UVA -- plummeting. As I look back up the list here, I'm just not sure who they can beat.
18. Denver -- I think the Vandy loss was a speed bump that Denver hit like they were driving a rental car.
19. UMass -- Straight on 'til Richmond.
20. PSU -- c'mon now; I really have no idea. BC? V-Tech? Colorado? Navy?
LOL Seacoaster your comments never fail to amuse!!
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Top 20 for this week:

1 North Carolina: Well, duh.
2. Notre Dame: Another no brainer. This week, I'll make sure I click on the Irish instead of Old Dominion for this spot. :oops:
3. Syracuse: Are they starting to click? Big game against UVA on Thursday night.
4. Loyola: They're moving right along.
5 Stony Brook: Have had solid wins and they did beat Syracuse
6. Northwestern: Potential is there.
7. Dartmouth: Nice win over Florida.
8. Penn: Good team, always seems to hang around the top 10
9. USC: This will make a few people mad.
10. Florida: Good team, but inconsistent. But good.
11. Maryland: Terps starting to get it together.
12. Denver: Yep.
13. James Madison: Solid team.
14. Duke: Gotta admit, better than I thought they would given the loss of O. Jenner and North.
15. Richmond: Well, they beat Virginia
16. Virginia: This is based more on potential than anything else. I just wish they'd be more consistent.
17. Michigan: Sure, why not?
18. UMass: They beat BC...(?)
19. Colorado: I still have faith they'll turn things around
20. Virginia Tech: Go ahead, crucify me...
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:19 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm Why? Because Dartmouth beat them? I agree, D'mouth should be ahead of them. But you could argue that FL has better wins and, more realistically, that Florida has a better lacrosse brand. The Lacrosse Brand Fallacy.
OK, I guess I will just say I don't much buy a better Florida lacrosse brand. SEC school, great facilities, can't win big games.
Yep, that's the brand! Go Gators! Florida is really mucking up the polls this year with their rollercoaster season. Should they be ranked by how they play on their best day, or their worst day, or somewhere in the middle? Come NCAAs, they'll only go as far as their worst performance. BUT it's FLORIDA and they beat MARYLAND and STONY BROOK and they're so ATHLETIC.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:23 pm Yep, that's the brand! Go Gators! Florida is really mucking up the polls this year with their rollercoaster season. Should they be ranked by how they play on their best day, or their worst day, or somewhere in the middle? Come NCAAs, they'll only go as far as their worst performance. BUT it's FLORIDA and they beat MARYLAND and STONY BROOK and they're so ATHLETIC.
Another need for sarcastica font?
laxagainsthumanity

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:27 pm what has everyone's #2 Notre Dame done:
Beat unranked Marquette by 15
Beat #7 Northwestern by 2
Beat unranked central Michigan by 20
Beat unranked Ohio State by 11
Beat #23 Duke by 4
Since this post, they also beat Boston College 11-7, a game in which they rode a dominant first 25 minutes of the second half to victory but otherwise were not pretty. So this post has a good point. After they beat NU everyone just stuck them at 2 and forgot about them. Does anyone deserve to be ahead of them? Syracuse, Loyola, Stony Brook are making cases. UNC tilt coming up.
laxagainsthumanity

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:24 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:23 pm Yep, that's the brand! Go Gators! Florida is really mucking up the polls this year with their rollercoaster season. Should they be ranked by how they play on their best day, or their worst day, or somewhere in the middle? Come NCAAs, they'll only go as far as their worst performance. BUT it's FLORIDA and they beat MARYLAND and STONY BROOK and they're so ATHLETIC.
It would probably be the most used font in this topic thread.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:29 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:24 pm
It would probably be the most used font in this topic thread.
:D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D1 Women Forum Poll

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Last Poll for the year anyone?

Post by wlaxnut »

I don’t know if FanLax will facilitate us voting one last time but I will tune up a final top 25 poll and submit it here later. Now that we don’t have to wait to see how certain teams do against other certain teams, I think it would be interesting to see our final 25. (Or 20, 15, 10 whatever.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

you submit, I'll post.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I know this will bring a lot of negative reactions but with the season being cancelled Maryland will begin next year as the reigning champions. My prediction if he season played out would be a final of UNC vs Loyola with Loyola winning. Maryland would probably have made the playoffs and bowed out in the quarter finals but we'll never know. Hopefully many of the great senior players from all teams find. Amy to return and the Ivy League allows 5th year players. Very disappointed to see the season end this way but agree with the decision as far as safety.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm I know this will bring a lot of negative reactions but with the season being cancelled Maryland will begin next year as the reigning champions. My prediction if he season played out would be a final of UNC vs Loyola with Loyola winning. Maryland would probably have made the playoffs and bowed out in the quarter finals but we'll never know. Hopefully many of the great senior players from all teams find. Amy to return and the Ivy League allows 5th year players. Very disappointed to see the season end this way but agree with the decision as far as safety.
You’re absolutely right. I wouldn’t understand why anybody would have a negative reaction. They are still the reigning champions as no one has dethroned them.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm I know this will bring a lot of negative reactions but with the season being cancelled Maryland will begin next year as the reigning champions. My prediction if he season played out would be a final of UNC vs Loyola with Loyola winning. Maryland would probably have made the playoffs and bowed out in the quarter finals but we'll never know. Hopefully many of the great senior players from all teams find. Amy to return and the Ivy League allows 5th year players. Very disappointed to see the season end this way but agree with the decision as far as safety.
I promise, to all the posters, I did not pay MD75 any $$$, but I love the prediction. :lol:
wlaxnut

Season Ending Poll for 2020

Post by wlaxnut »

There are some positions that will go against the final national polls here but I looked at the season as it was, not what it could have been. I looked at the strength of the big wins against good teams more so than the good losses although they were factored in to a degree. I also used the eyeball test. How did they look when I saw them play.

1 - UNC (7-0)
2 - Syracuse (7-1)
3 - Loyola (5-0)
4 - Notre Dame (7-0)
5 - Northwestern (4-3)
6 - Dartmouth (5-0)
7 - Florida (6-2)
8 - Stony Brook (4-1)
9 - USC (6-0)
10 - JMU (5-1)
11 - Duke (6-3)
12 - Penn (4-1)
13 - Princeton (3-2)
14 - Richmond (7-0)
15 - Maryland (3-3)
16 - Denver (7-1)
17 - Virginia (5-3)
18 - VT (7-3)
19 - Michigan (5-1)
20 - JHU (4-3)
21 - BC (4-3)
22 - Hofstra (4-3)
23 - Penn St (5-2)
24 - UMass (4-1)
25 - Navy (2-4)

Out:

High Point (1-4)
Rutgers (5-4)
Georgetown (4-3)
Louisville (5-4)
Vanderbilt (4-5)
laxmom22

Post by laxmom22 »

But when it is all said and done, Maryland is still the reigning National Champions. For the Terrapin faithful, the silver lining to this very big cloud 😊.
Turtles Lax

Not sure of the silver lining...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...but very happy about TL’s Laxchix having won in 2019, winning 3 out of the last 5 Natty ‘Ships, and ‘Team of the Decade’ recognition.

That said, Coach Cathy and the Terps don’t look back; they look forward, always. There has never been a number retired nor are any individual player names posted in the stadium. They play with what they have...not with what they had.

Of course they are proud of having won in 2019 but doubt that pride will be featured in the 2021 season.

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Think the national polls will release finals today?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”