laxrules

2020 NCAA Lacrosse is done

Post by laxrules »

Ncaa just cancelled winter and spring championships. It is a done deal
ergit

Re: 2020 NCAA Lacrosse is done

Post by ergit »

I feel like I’m in mourning...
So sad for all of the players. Seniors especially.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Ned, ShoreThing, GOGULL, Dr, P.,SWF et al; it's been a great but all to short season blogging with you guys.

Hopefully the NCAA will give everybody an extra year and everybody can afford to take it.

Be safe, guys.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:10 pm Ned, ShoreThing, GOGULL, Dr, P.,SWF et al; it's been a great but all to short season blogging with you guys.

Hopefully the NCAA will give everybody an extra year and everybody can afford to take it.

Be safe, guys.
Adios MrLax ...... until we chat again. Sad day indeed ... instead of engaging in chatter about Mustang Classic and other big OOC matchups and results, we are packing up our helmets and sticks way too early!

Let's hope the NCAA has a heart and brain and grants any senior an additional year of eligibility that requests it. Seems only right. I'm not sure how many will actually return for another year but if money isn't an issue and they are willing to return .... I say let them.

All the best to the D3 lacrosse fans that care enough to put their opinions out there... stay healthy and let's hope we can get back to discussing only the game we all love so much sooner rather than later!
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

All players should be granted a year. The NCAA should wipe this year out. Get these young athletes a chance to play again or another year if they can.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

laxrules wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 pm All players should be granted a year. The NCAA should wipe this year out. Get these young athletes a chance to play again or another year if they can.

Agree 100%. NCAA should give all players an extra year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The illusion that anywhere near a majority of the key graduating seniors will return for one last run of lacrosse, and these teams will look the same next year, is just that- an illusion.

They will of course be availed the extra year eligibility, and most will without a doubt proceed with graduation, having this as one of life’s many disappointments in their memory bank.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Given that this is an unprecedented situation and will probably not happen again in our life time....

The NCAA should seriously consider allowing seniors who were on rosters of 2020 spring teams to play in 2021 (even if they have graduated) without having to be enrolled as full time students. At least at the D3 level people aren't going to pay for another school year (a few might enroll in grad school) or semester just to play lax. Allow them to pay for 1 class or something in order to be eligible.... this would/should only apply to 2020 seniors who were on 2020 spring rosters and were on schedule to graduate and ONLY because of this unprecedented situation.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

The NCAA should seriously consider allowing seniors who were on rosters of 2020 spring teams to play in 2021 (even if they have graduated) without having to be enrolled as full time students. At least at the D3 level people aren't going to pay for another school year (a few might enroll in grad school) or semester just to play lax. Allow them to pay for 1 class or something in order to be eligible.... this would/should only apply to 2020 seniors who were on 2020 spring rosters and were on schedule to graduate and ONLY because of this unprecedented situation.
As I posted on D1 board, why only the seniors get another year? Aren't the under classmen being penalized as well?
droliver

Post by droliver »

Lurker wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am The NCAA should seriously consider allowing seniors who were on rosters of 2020 spring teams to play in 2021 (even if they have graduated) without having to be enrolled as full time students.
Why? NCAA lacrosse is essentially an amateur sport tied to being a full time student. If these people want to continue playing and aren't students they can play men's league or try the pros.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

palaxoff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am
As I posted on D1 board, why only the seniors get another year? Aren't the under classmen being penalized as well?
I don't have a problem granting all players an extra year of eligibility. My thoughts were specifically directed at seniors (may of whom are less than 2 months from graduating) who don't have any options. If granted another year of eligibility an underclassman would have time to plan accordingly. Graduating seniors don't have that luxury.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

droliver wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 am
Lurker wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am The NCAA should seriously consider allowing seniors who were on rosters of 2020 spring teams to play in 2021 (even if they have graduated) without having to be enrolled as full time students.
Why? NCAA lacrosse is essentially an amateur sport tied to being a full time student.

Agree, but this is an unprecedented situation and one not likely to happen again in our lifetime. I personally know of a student who was only 5-6 credit hours away from being able to graduate this spring, but had to enroll for a full class load to be eligible to play lax. For this special circumstance I would have no problem telling any player in any class (freshmen - senior) that in order for them to exercise the extra season of eligibility granted as a result of this situation, they do not have to be enrolled as a full-time student...part-time would suffice.
droliver wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 amIf these people want to continue playing and aren't students they can play men's league or try the pros.
Oh yes... because pro lacrosse is an option for all. :roll: And there are men's leagues everywhere. It's just that easy.

What would be the harm in thinking outside the box for this one very unique situation??????
Last edited by Lurker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

In the end the eligibility will be tied to being a grad student etc or the player
can go to another school and have 1 more year if they decide to get a masters
etc or whatever academics.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:10 pm Ned, ShoreThing, GOGULL, Dr, P.,SWF et al; it's been a great but all to short season blogging with you guys.

Be safe, guys.
Agree MrLax ... sadly this has all ended too abruptly for everyone involved.
Hope to see everyone back here next season - and hopefully many of the seniors back as well.
Be well, healthy and safe all.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Lurker wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 am
palaxoff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am
I don't have a problem granting all players an extra year of eligibility. My thoughts were specifically directed at seniors (may of whom are less than 2 months from graduating) who don't have any options. If granted another year of eligibility an underclassman would have time to plan accordingly. Graduating seniors don't have that luxury.
It's disappointing, no question. As a parent of a senior lacrosse player it stings even more. But it is what it is. Life is full of disappointments, and it's certainly not going to be the last for every one of these senior college athletes. Here's what I do know, they'll all get over it. So much more ahead of them that soon this will be a distant memory (unless they can't get past their college lacrosse careers in which case there's more going on in their heads than can be addressed on this forum). For those eligible for a fifth year, go for it. For everyone else, the season is over. It sucks. Now time to move on.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Sounds like every spring athlete going to be granted an extra year. The grad transfer thing is really going to be a major boon for some and put a major hurting on others - like potentially Hampden-Sydney, which has no graduate programs.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Adding an extra year of eligibility does sound like a good idea but I wonder how they will be financed. Schools will be losing much money because post season play has been cancelled. The economy is declining and this likely means reduced alumni donations to many schools. Will some of these schools with lower endowments have the means to finance scholarships?

I also wonder about scholastic athletes. Many high schools have shut down their athletic programs. This means seniors will not get the chance to prove their worth as future D1 and D2 players. How will they be able to secure scholarships?

Gonna miss the rest of the lax season. And yes, will miss the season long chat as well.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm Adding an extra year of eligibility does sound like a good idea but I wonder how they will be financed. Schools will be losing much money because post season play has been cancelled. The economy is declining and this likely means reduced alumni donations to many schools. Will some of these schools with lower endowments have the means to finance scholarships?

I also wonder about scholastic athletes. Many high schools have shut down their athletic programs. This means seniors will not get the chance to prove their worth as future D1 and D2 players. How will they be able to secure scholarships?

Gonna miss the rest of the lax season. And yes, will miss the season long chat as well.
If players haven't proven they are D1 or D2 talents by their senior seasons then they prob aren't scholarship talent..... Maybe a few d2's will still be doing some evaluating into mid senior season. What I am saying is the coaches know who they need to recruit. Club season takes care of that before the kids get to freshman season anyways.... Tough pill to swallow none the less. Use it as a learning lesson no doubt!!
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MarloStanfield09 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 pm

If players haven't proven they are D1 or D2 talents by their senior seasons then they prob aren't scholarship talent..... Maybe a few d2's will still be doing some evaluating into mid senior season. What I am saying is the coaches know who they need to recruit. Club season takes care of that before the kids get to freshman season anyways.... Tough pill to swallow none the less. Use it as a learning lesson no doubt!!

I largely agree with you on this point. But every once in a while there is what is called a "late bloomer" whose talent emerges in that final year of high school. Then, there are the types who are multi sport and had yet to decide which one sport would be their concentration in college or even if they should go to college at all to play sports. I am mindful of local boy Joe Mauer who was rated far more highly as a footballer than as a baseball player. It was only in his final year of high school at Cretin Derham H.S. when he decided to forego college and to accept the MLB baseball draft. Good thing he did. Now I wonder if some senior today will or won't have his career jeopardized because of these unhappy events today. Oh well - what can one do??
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”