Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:34 pm I find that agreeable. Done deal, co-champs.
ND can have a little recognition too.
OK, you get the trophies, I'll print the shirts. Drinks all around.

Oh I forgot. Wlaxnut gets the sundaes... Jimmies optional
seacoaster

Re: Sad End to 2020

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm So that's it. What an abrupt end. No way to have seen this coming. There were a lot of great things about the season and a pity we are not able to see it through to the crowning of the champion. Great to see so much more parity in the game. Great to see extremely talented and passionate new talent arriving on the scene. Very sad for the players above all. I have to think that for some this is a bitter disappointment.
Well, since I now have as much say in the matter of crowning the champion as anyone else, the crown goes to the Orange girls of Syracuse. Sorry, Dr., Loyola can be second though.
Dmac, you are killing me... The wound is still open.... How about this, 'cuse and Loyola named Co-champions and Unc gets a prize for competing.... ND, well they have football, right?
I'm with DMac. Those Loyola kids seem nice, but you know..... And Cuse held NU to fewer goals than UNC. So that's that.

What a pity. It promised to be a spectacular year of lacrosse, and was while it lasted. Might as well add that all of you folks increased my enjoyment of the sport measurably, and I appreciate it. Doc and Ms. Tact, hang in there. So happy you are a Junior.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm So that's it. What an abrupt end. No way to have seen this coming. There were a lot of great things about the season and a pity we are not able to see it through to the crowning of the champion. Great to see so much more parity in the game. Great to see extremely talented and passionate new talent arriving on the scene. Very sad for the players above all. I have to think that for some this is a bitter disappointment.
Well, since I now have as much say in the matter of crowning the champion as anyone else, the crown goes to the Orange girls of Syracuse. Sorry, Dr., Loyola can be second though.
Lol sorry, crown going to UNC who finished undefeated and Ranked #1 In all polls!
Nice try tho! 😊
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 pm
Lol sorry, crown going to UNC who finished undefeated and Ranked #1 In all polls!
Nice try tho! 😊
Come on now 247. UNC has zillions of NCAA championships. Throw the dog (hound) a bone. Loyola gets first women's lacrosse NCAA Championship in 2020 🐕🥍🐶👍😎
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm
Lax247 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 pm
Nice try tho! 😊
Come on now 247. UNC has zillions of NCAA championships. Throw the dog (hound) a bone. Loyola gets first women's lacrosse NCAA Championship in 2020 🐕🥍🐶👍😎
Hmmm I would love to but I just can’t. You can be a finalist though!
Sorry we only played you in fall and not reg season would have been a great game !!
wlaxnut

As long as we're all fantasizing...

Post by wlaxnut »

It would have been Northwestern. They would have swooped in at the end and stormed their opponent for 26 goals, probably the team who upset UNC in the quarters and Loyola in the semi's, maybe someone like Dartmouth or Duke. Izzy Scane would have been unstoppable, scoring 9 goals while 8 other teammates divvied up the rest. Stalwart presence in goal would have been Madison Doucette making a solid 11 saves and holding the opponent to just 7 goals. Kelly Amonte Hiller gets carried off the field and revels in her 8th title as coach of the Wildcats. And a great time was had by the entire Purple Gang and their hordes of fans as the blazing sky softened into embers of the pink and violet sunset.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

And yes--as someone mentioned earlier, as if the interminable offseason wasn't long enough, now it's 11 months till first draw in 2021. I'll need the rules explained to me again by that time.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

maybe Fanlax Computer can run a simulation of all the top 26 teams and see who wins.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxDad23 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 pm maybe Fanlax Computer can run a simulation of all the top 26 teams and see who wins.
Ha! That is actually a great idea! St. Joe's winning their first ever title would be spectacular!
Dr. Tact

Re: As long as we're all fantasizing...

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 pm It would have been Northwestern. They would have swooped in at the end and stormed their opponent for 26 goals, probably the team who upset UNC in the quarters and Loyola in the semi's, maybe someone like Dartmouth or Duke. Izzy Scane would have been unstoppable, scoring 9 goals while 8 other teammates divvied up the rest. Stalwart presence in goal would have been Madison Doucette making a solid 11 saves and holding the opponent to just 7 goals. Kelly Amonte Hiller gets carried off the field and revels in her 8th title as coach of the Wildcats. And a great time was had by the entire Purple Gang and their hordes of fans as the blazing sky softened into embers of the pink and violet sunset.
Fault with the above is that Loyola would have moved up to #2 after ND/UNC regular season game (UNC wins) and acc tournament (UNC wins) . So Loyola would have been on the opposite side of the draw. 😜 So, northwestern as the #3 team would have absolutely beaten UNC in the semis, but would face Loyola in the final.... Unlike UNC, Loyola would face guard Scane. While she would get 5 goals, the rest of NU couldn't keep up with the 5 headed monster of the hounds. Rosenzweig, Fielder, Kluegel, Wilson, and Wills get 4 each and win the first NCAA women's championship for Loyola 22-18
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:58 pm I'll need the rules explained to me again by that time.
Haha. You crack me up. I thought I was the only one who had to reread the rules each year since I forget a lot of them over the off-season. Maybe you will forget how overtimes are counted. :P

One thing you have going for you is that the rules will be the same next year since we are in the 2020-2021 rules cycle.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 pm It would have been Northwestern. They would have swooped in at the end and stormed their opponent for 26 goals, probably the team who upset UNC in the quarters and Loyola in the semi's, maybe someone like Dartmouth or Duke. Izzy Scane would have been unstoppable, scoring 9 goals while 8 other teammates divvied up the rest. Stalwart presence in goal would have been Madison Doucette making a solid 11 saves and holding the opponent to just 7 goals. Kelly Amonte Hiller gets carried off the field and revels in her 8th title as coach of the Wildcats. And a great time was had by the entire Purple Gang and their hordes of fans as the blazing sky softened into embers of the pink and violet sunset.
Fault with the above is that Loyola would have moved up to #2 after ND/UNC regular season game (UNC wins) and acc tournament (UNC wins) . So Loyola would have been on the opposite side of the draw. 😜 So, northwestern as the #3 team would have absolutely beaten UNC in the semis, but would face Loyola in the final.... Unlike UNC, Loyola would face guard Scane. While she would get 5 goals, the rest of NU couldn't keep up with the 5 headed monster of the hounds. Rosenzweig, Fielder, Kluegel, Wilson, and Wills get 4 each and win the first NCAA women's championship for Loyola 22-18
Don't muddy up my fantasy with facts. I'm with Blanche DuBois on this--"I don't want realism, I want magic." A magic ending to me would have been Northwestern winning the Big 10 and the National Title.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

You guys want the world!

I'd a been happy with a home game in Hamilton where the temperature was over 50 degrees!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

If only there were a way to play the season out...can't we just input info into Fan Lax Computer and run a simulation?
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Regarding eligibility, obviously your heart breaks for the seniors, but there's not really any reason why they're more entitled to an additional year of eligibility than anyone else on the roster. Agree with Doc, it should be all or nothing. Obviously that creates issues with carrying bigger rosters, there's the question of how to handle the scholarships, and some schools/programs are much more able to handle the costs associated with additional athletes. It's important to note that it's not just scholarships, it's also gear, travel expenses, insuring athletes' medical tests and surgeries, potentially even hiring additional athletic trainers and other support staff... Each individual athlete costs money, even if they pay 100% of their own tuition. Looking at those issues, it's also important to take into account that this affects all spring athletes, not just lacrosse, and I imagine the NCAA will want to make one decision for all affected sports. So assuming half of each graduating class (roughly 12.5% of the total athlete pool) opts to take their redshirt year (which I think is probably somewhere in the right neighborhood but I haven't actually thought too much about it), you could be looking at upwards of 40+ additional athletes between men's and women's lacrosse, tennis, golf, baseball, softball, rowing, and track—am I missing any? A power conference school can probably manage that. Many many schools will have a harder time.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Nigel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 pm You guys want the world!

I'd a been happy with a home game in Hamilton where the temperature was over 50 degrees!
What I want now is the Patriot League to allow grad students to play....not asking much :mrgreen: :D :oops:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 pm
Don't muddy up my fantasy with facts. I'm with Blanche DuBois on this--"I don't want realism, I want magic." A magic ending to me would have been Loyola winning the Patriot League and the National Title.

There I fixed it for you wlaxnut :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:26 pm
Nigel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 pm You guys want the world!

What I want now is the Patriot League to allow grad students to play....not asking much :mrgreen: :D :oops:
Your team is already loaded. How about we get the incoming undergrad acceptance rate closer to league average? :idea: Might level the field a bit.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Cletus

Nice women's lacrosse photograph

Post by Cletus »

Beautiful picture. So much of what is great about lacrosse is exhibited in this photo.

DMac

Post by DMac »

It is indeed a great and beautiful game and I was reminded of just how much I miss lacrosse (I really needed no reminding) last night as the ACC Network broadcasted replays of the Richmond-Duke, Cuse-Hobart (need I say Cuse wins?) men's games followed by the Hofstra-BC women's game. Both mlax and wlax are great games but wlax is definitely the prettier of the two (it's the sticks...well, the skirts and pony tails too).
The point of the post though, is that I learned something in the BC-Hofstra game I never knew. BC had a fast break going on, the ball carrier was blazing downfield as fast as she could go but that wasn't fast enough to stay ahead of Hofstra's #7, Alyssa Parella (geezuz h, can that girl ever fly!). Allysa caught up to the gal and circled in front of her causing the ball carrier to cradle the ball in front of her face within the "halo". The ref blew the whistle and the ball went the other way (Alyssa's effort paid off big) as the O player is not allowed to cradle within the halo. I never knew that and hadn't ever seen that call. Makes sense inasmuch as the D can't defend within that halo without being called for a penalty. I learned one more thing about wlax yesterday (so many people who watch this game don't really know what's going on out on the field). I can't remember if it was on that play or a little later, Allysa got the ball in the open field and took it to the cage and put it in for Hofstra's first goal. Aint nobody catching that girl when she's at top speed heading to the cage...wow. (Wasn't a competitive game, BC was blowing Hofstra out.)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”