Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by DMac »

Question for you wlaxperts. I was looking at the box score of a game the other day, if I could remember where I saw it (it was the box score on someone's schedule) I'd post it but I can't (I am certain that I did see it), and where the FPSs were listed it showed "assisted by". Has the wlax world been reading my posts and recognized that wlaxers should be credited for an assist on the FPS when it was their pass that set up the play? Are these now counting as assists? This is good news (to me anyway) if they are.
More good news, if they're reading my posts we won't being seeing shorts on a wlax field anymore. :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 am Question for you wlaxperts. I was looking at the box score of a game the other day, if I could remember where I saw it (it was the box score on someone's schedule) I'd post it but I can't (I am certain that I did see it), and where the FPSs were listed it showed "assisted by". Has the wlax world been reading my posts and recognized that wlaxers should be credited for an assist on the FPS when it was their pass that set up the play? Are these now counting as assists? This is good news (to me anyway) if they are.
More good news, if they're reading my posts we won't being seeing shorts on a wlax field anymore. :D
Yes. I saw it on live stats in the VT/Cuse game. when the score was 12-4, there was an assist given to a FPS goal. Dont know if the assist is now given or if it was just a mistake.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 am Question for you wlaxperts. I was looking at the box score of a game the other day, if I could remember where I saw it (it was the box score on someone's schedule) I'd post it but I can't (I am certain that I did see it), and where the FPSs were listed it showed "assisted by". Has the wlax world been reading my posts and recognized that wlaxers should be credited for an assist on the FPS when it was their pass that set up the play? Are these now counting as assists? This is good news (to me anyway) if they are.
Yeah, but technically, a free position is a direct shot on goal between the initial player with the ball and the goalie. The player can rush in to take a shot or fire it away from the 8. Once she passes it, it's similar to what you'd have if the foul put her on the 12, where you have to pass it initially.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Free positions technically can be awarded all over the field. For example, if there is an illegal stick identified in a stick check, the free position is awarded at the center line. Free position doesn't mean a free shot attempt at the 8. It is only a subset of free positions that are awarded at the 8 meter line. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 am
Yeah, but technically, a free position is a direct shot on goal between the initial player with the ball and the goalie. The player can rush in to take a shot or fire it away from the 8. Once she passes it, it's similar to what you'd have if the foul put her on the 12, where you have to pass it initially.
So your answer is yes, they are giving assists to the passer on the FPS? This was never the case in past years, right? I get that all FPSs are not created equal and all aren't the result of a sweet feed but the shooter couldn't shoot because of shooting space, but there are a lot that are the result of that (those are the ones that bother me...and assists hadn't been given to the passer).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:45 am Free positions technically can be awarded all over the field. For example, if there is an illegal stick identified in a stick check, the free position is awarded at the center line. Free position doesn't mean a free shot attempt at the 8. It is only a subset of free positions that are awarded at the 8 meter line. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
I get that. My question is, girl comes from behind (or anywhere for that matter), draws the double, dishes to the open gal in front of the cage. That girl can't get the shot on cage because of shooting space. She then buries it on the FPS. This is the play that I feel the passer should get the assist on and I don't think assists have been awarded on that play in the past.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Yeah, I totally get your point and I agree that in an ideal world she would get an assist.
wlaxnut

Sad End to 2020

Post by wlaxnut »

So that's it. What an abrupt end. No way to have seen this coming. There were a lot of great things about the season and a pity we are not able to see it through to the crowning of the champion. Great to see so much more parity in the game. Great to see extremely talented and passionate new talent arriving on the scene. Very sad for the players above all. I have to think that for some this is a bitter disappointment.
Dr. Tact

Re: Sad End to 2020

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm So that's it. What an abrupt end. No way to have seen this coming. There were a lot of great things about the season and a pity we are not able to see it through to the crowning of the champion. Great to see so much more parity in the game. Great to see extremely talented and passionate new talent arriving on the scene. Very sad for the players above all. I have to think that for some this is a bitter disappointment.
Cant speak for other parents or their Ds, but mine was crying when she called today. Not a great day for her or her team (or me :oops: ). But, we have to grab hold of something positive....(when I think of it, I will edit this :twisted: :D ).....

I guess we can all hope that all of the LAX community remains healthy through this event and that we all get to see more years of GLAX, BLAX, WLAX, MLAX, Pro Lax, etc.

Ill get you your jimmies some day walxnut.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm So that's it. What an abrupt end. No way to have seen this coming. There were a lot of great things about the season and a pity we are not able to see it through to the crowning of the champion. Great to see so much more parity in the game. Great to see extremely talented and passionate new talent arriving on the scene. Very sad for the players above all. I have to think that for some this is a bitter disappointment.
Cant speak for other parents or their Ds, but mine was crying when she called today. Not a great day for her or her team (or me :oops: ). But, we have to grab hold of something positive....(when I think of it, I will edit this :twisted: :D ).....

I guess we can all hope that all of the LAX community remains healthy through this event and that we all get to see more years of GLAX, BLAX, WLAX, MLAX, Pro Lax, etc.

Yeah--that's awfully sad for her I imagine. When something is unexpectedly taken from you, it can be among many other things very painful.

I'm with you on the well wishes (and the jimmies) Doc. Best wishes to you and yours in the off season.
Turtles Lax

Awful end to the season.

Post by Turtles Lax »

To all the players and coaches and officials who just saw their season end I am truly sorry. In particular, you seniors have my sympathy. You worked hard to play one last year.

I wish you great success in future endeavors and trust you will someday forget all those who failed you. They do not deserve a place in your mind.

Play on!

❤️,
TL
laxorangebookworm

Re: Awful end to the season.

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:03 pm To all the players and coaches and officials who just saw their season end I am truly sorry. In particular, you seniors have my sympathy. You worked hard to play one last year.

I wish you great success in future endeavors and trust you will someday forget all those who failed you. They do not deserve a place in your mind.

Play on!

❤️,
TL
Yeah, you can thank the media for blasting this out and creating panic. You can also thank the educational institutions for following along with that panic and possibly starting a hysteria domino effect that could have absolutely awful consequences for our society. Sports seems like small potatoes compared to the whirlwind that's probably been sown.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:03 pm To all the players and coaches and officials who just saw their season end I am truly sorry. In particular, you seniors have my sympathy. You worked hard to play one last year.

Play on!

❤️,
TL
The more I think about this, the NCAA needs to step up and address the eligibility issue quickly so that it eases the pain of losing 1/2 to 3/4 of a season. One way or another, the players need to know what their future holds. I think the logical step is to allow players to petition for a Red Shirt. That could affect the balance of things for 4 years (4 classes), but in my mind, it is the right thing to do. May be too little to late for some seniors, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of graduates use the extra year to get a start on a grad degree and finish their career. It will absolutely affect scholarship budgeting, but at least it is non-revenue sports, so it doesnt carry a football like weight of 80+ scholarships for one sport. My guess is that NCAA will have to consider adjusting the allotted scholarships and perhaps adding a 25% for four years to the Spring sports. Then it will be up to the institution, the coach and the athletes to see if it will all work out. Another aspect is enlarged team numbers, the above scenario would also carry extra players, which equates to extra costs....Many things to think about.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Same to all above daughter was crying on way to last practice. Talking to her before she actually seems resigned and accepting. More upset for seniors...that’s her family down there and it’s a hard pill to swallow.
I’m prob more upset than she is lol. Wondering what could have been. No ACC championship tourney, no NCAA championship tourney and no Tewaarton to be given out. And this was a great year for ALL of that!
Just canceled the rest of my hotels and flights...walked by my big chalkboard with “words of wisdom” for this weekend’s game.
Just really sad.
Friend on team has two daughters playing D1 and a high school senior all 3 seasons over like “ that”
Sorry.... just needed to vent. 😕

And Oh My GOD WE HAVE TO WAIT 11 months for more lacrosse!!!
Last edited by Laxfan500 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Play on!

❤️,
TL
The more I think about this, the NCAA needs to step up and address the eligibility issue quickly so that it eases the pain of losing 1/2 to 3/4 of a season. One way or another, the players need to know what their future holds. I think the logical step is to allow players to petition for a Red Shirt. That could affect the balance of things for 4 years (4 classes), but in my mind, it is the right thing to do. May be too little to late for some seniors, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of graduates use the extra year to get a start on a grad degree and finish their career. It will absolutely affect scholarship budgeting, but at least it is non-revenue sports, so it doesnt carry a football like weight of 80+ scholarships for one sport. My guess is that NCAA will have to consider adjusting the allotted scholarships and perhaps adding a 25% for four years to the Spring sports. Then it will be up to the institution, the coach and the athletes to see if it will all work out. Another aspect is enlarged team numbers, the above scenario would also carry extra players, which equates to extra costs....Many things to think about.
Agree, this should be interesting. I’m feeling they won’t want to offer the redshirt if it’s for everyone. Maybe only seniors? I mean that’s not fair but I guess the NCAA can do what it wants .
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Play on!

❤️,
TL
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/3/12 ... -cancelled
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, since I now have as much say in the matter of crowning the champion as anyone else, the crown goes to the Orange girls of Syracuse. Sorry, Dr., Loyola can be second though.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm
Well, since I now have as much say in the matter of crowning the champion as anyone else, the crown goes to the Orange girls of Syracuse. Sorry, Dr., Loyola can be second though.
Dmac, you are killing me... The wound is still open.... How about this, 'cuse and Loyola named Co-champions and Unc gets a prize for competing.... ND, well they have football, right?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I find that agreeable. Done deal, co-champs.
ND can have a little recognition too.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Play on!

❤️,
TL
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/3/12 ... -cancelled
Well that article is exactly what I was talking about... I hope that the ncaa realizes that gifting a year to seniors is short sighted. It's all or nothing (all players) , like the Duke example. It is only fair, but I do understand that life aint fair..... We will see.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”