COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Ipayforlax

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Ipayforlax »

My daughter plays in the A10 and she just texted that the Patriot League just cancelled. No details or confirmation beyond that. Her school has gone to online classes after Spring Break. She says the only kids on campus are spring athletes and International students that didn't go anywhere for the Break. Very surreal she says.

EDIT: I just confirmed this on the PL website.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Ipayforlax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 am My daughter plays in the A10 and she just texted that the Patriot League just cancelled. No details or confirmation beyond that. Her school has gone to online classes after Spring Break. She says the only kids on campus are spring athletes and International students that didn't go anywhere for the Break. Very surreal she says.

EDIT: I just confirmed this on the PL website.
SH*T
njbill

Post by njbill »

The announcement says the PL cancellation is effective March 16. Sounds like games will be played until then?

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/1 ... ition.aspx
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am The announcement says the PL cancellation is effective March 16. Sounds like games will be played until then?

Just talked to D and this weekend may/may not happen. It is up to the traveling (and I guess host) teams to decide. I have one very upset kid....so disappointed in that she only got 5 games, while many teams are at 8 or 9.

I would expect other Leagues to change to a cancellation as well.

It is unfortunate, but understandable.

Sad :cry: :cry: :roll:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I got a rumor from a source that ACC is cancelling at 1 PM today. Anyone else hear that?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
njbill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am The announcement says the PL cancellation is effective March 16. Sounds like games will be played until then?

Just talked to D and this weekend may/may not happen. It is up to the traveling (and I guess host) teams to decide. I have one very upset kid....so disappointed in that she only got 5 games, while many teams are at 8 or 9.

Same from Colgate and I would expect this weekend's game w BU to be cancelled (but not 100% confirmed).
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Doc, I saw something consistent with that on the D3 men’s board last night. The post said Big Ten is talking today.

Pretty clear where everything is headed.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am Doc, I saw something consistent with that on the D3 men’s board last night. The post said Big Ten is talking today.

correct. Now it's up to the NCAA to take leadership on this so that everyone is on equal footing (why have BIG 10 continue if Patriot & Ivies are cancelled) and then can grant a blanket ruling on redshirts for those who want it (current rule is can't play in more than 4 games, whether 1 minute or full 60). Also grant additional scholarships for 1 year - say 5 total - to absorb those seniors that return for 1 more year and the incoming freshman.

Solution is there, NCAA has to take leadership.

Obviously there will be kids who can't or don't want a redshirt year, I just hope and pray that they can have a normal graduation ceremony at the school.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:18 am
njbill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am Doc, I saw something consistent with that on the D3 men’s board last night. The post said Big Ten is talking today.

correct. Now it's up to the NCAA to take leadership on this so that everyone is on equal footing (why have BIG 10 continue if Patriot & Ivies are cancelled) and then can grant a blanket ruling on redshirts for those who want it (current rule is can't play in more than 4 games, whether 1 minute or full 60). Also grant additional scholarships for 1 year - say 5 total - to absorb those seniors that return for 1 more year and the incoming freshman.

Obviously there will be kids who can't or don't want a redshirt year, I just hope and pray that they can have a normal graduation ceremony at the school.

Whether or not to grant a 5th year of eligibility to members of non-revenue sports teams, doesn't make the top-200 in terms of things the NCAA is worried about right now.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am

So sorry to hear, Doc. If appropriate, please pass along my sincere regrets.
kingman442

Post by kingman442 »

Doesn't the 4-game redshirt rule only apply to football?
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Are u thinking only seniors would be given ok to redshirt? WhT about for redshirt seniors already there ? Idk what to think. This effects seniors, juniors etc. doesn’t seem fair only for seniors ? But I get what ur saying
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Are u thinking only seniors would be given ok to redshirt? WhT about for redshirt seniors already there ? Idk what to think. This effects seniors, juniors etc. doesn’t seem fair only for seniors ? But I get what ur saying
I would think it would apply to all current players.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

I think we have lost our collective minds. I feel so bad for all the student athletes that have lost this season, especially the seniors. The swine flu was contracted by millions in 2010 and many died yet no one blinked an eye. Personal hygiene and vigilance be damned. Wow, the crazies have taken over. Once Harvard and Princeton made the decision, we were screwed since they know best. Yeah, right.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Lax247 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 pm

I would think it would apply to all current players.
yes, meant that applies to all players
Ipayforlax

Post by Ipayforlax »

The A10 just cancelled their MBB Tourney. My daughter was told by WLAX coach to expect a team meeting this afternoon.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

CAA just cancelled spring sports as well.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

ACCT Men's basketball tournament is cancelled.

Apparently, SU-Virginia women's lacrosse is still on tonight.

And the insanity continues...
Looks like we're super stoked to slit our own throats over this overhype... :roll:
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Pac 12 has cancelled the season 'until further notice.'

They have also stopped the in progress Pac 12 conference basketball tourney.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDad23 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:14 pm Pac 12 has cancelled the season 'until further notice.'
I like that language. I wish all the leagues did that....

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”