NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
The12lov3

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by The12lov3 »

This is terrible news. This was probably one of the best Tufts teams of all time. Would have fun to watch them try to break the college lacrosse scoring record this year.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

This is awful news across the lacrosse world. Hoping other teams holdout on suspending their teams. These kids work too hard to just see it disappear like that.
overandback

Post by overandback »

I'm not taking this well. The strongest reason I have heard is that these schools have many international students who would return to the community and possibly spread the virus.
Ok, so quarantine them. That's better than closing the store and telling students you are reopening in the fall. These kids need to be at school. If cases break out, close the school then.

Here is what Eastern University in Radnor, PA posted re Coronavirus TODAY:

Eastern University is monitoring the spread of the coronavirus, 2019-nCoV or COVID-19, a new virus whose first cases appeared in mainland China, with additional cases being identified in a growing number of countries internationally, including in the United States and Canada. Eastern University is following the guidance offered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local or state health departments.

We are planning for all possibilities of what the coming weeks and months may present us. We have a team of staff and administrators that has been following this situation closely and preparing for a variety of possible outcomes.

No coronavirus cases have been reported at any of Eastern’s campuses and classes are continuing as scheduled. There is no evidence at present that our campus is unsafe.

At this time, there is no basis for changing business as usual regarding housing, campus events, and other circumstances under which large groups of people will be gathering. There is no indication for the use of masks by the general public at this time, although EU has ordered a limited quantity of masks and equipment should the need arise.

The CDC is conducting ongoing investigations to learn more about the coronavirus. It’s not clear yet how easily 2019-nCoV spreads from person-to-person. It is important to know this in order to better understand the risk associated with this virus. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Currently, there are no additional precautions recommended for the general public to take. However, as a reminder, the CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including the tips below. For more in-depth information, visit the CDC website.

I can only conclude that NESCACs and Ivies and their leadership are overreacting for political reasons. Shame on them! They have abandoned their duty to the students and the community - who they say they are protecting - by overreacting!
If this wasn't an election year they would all have statement similar to Eastern's.

In the face of a scary epidemic, we need to question what is going on and demand answers. Not an easy task.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 pm This is terrible news. This was probably one of the best Tufts teams of all time. Would have fun to watch them try to break the college lacrosse scoring record this year.
Not sure one of the best of all time... but holy guacamole, went tonight and they are damn good
smoova

Post by smoova »

Why not just cancel spring break? I'm just an old war horse, but it seems like the simplest answer is to "spring break in place."
lax7537

Post by lax7537 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:51 pm I commented earlier on another tread, about the Schools CYA tought

There is serious liability fears that if these schools would face if they allowed their teams to participate in locations designated as current “States of Emergency”, and it was deemed that the College would be considered negligent if the worst was to occur.(one of their student-athletes compete at an away competition and somehow comes become infected then passes that along to others and a tragedy occurs)
I am assuming that many small schools do not have the budget or desire to waiver through the courts or put themselves in a position of a potential lawsuits that could be forthcoming in such an event. These schools would be heavily criticized that they knowingly but others in harm’s way and risk. And, it not like they can just quarantine (Isolate) the team, since the team still would be a representation of the College.
I guess the cost of shutting down the program is less expensive than paying potentially millions if something horribly happened in their minds.
So if the team travels and a player gets the regular Flu they can be held liable?
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

My youngest son is a Senior this year and I just got off the phone with him. The emotion and the gravity of this being the end of a journey is setting in. I’m sure there are a lot of us out there having these conversations tonight.

As a father, I looked so forward to this moment for so long and to have it end in this way is very humbling. ……. I listened to his heartbreak, while hiding my own grief.

I tried to reassure him that while this door closed that a new one would soon open. That while something that defined him was being torn away was Yes real; this moment was just a spring board for the next chapter.

Tonight, I just want to take a moment and thank all the parents (Dad’s, Mom’s), Coaches, players and competitors that have been a part of my son’s journey…,
N.JPG
N.JPG (81.15 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

We await guidance from the NCAA about eligibility for spring post-season play.

Is that a glimmer of hope?

IF we get to post season play how will the NCAA address teams that were forced into a shortened season? Could the NESCAC just declare Conference Champion? Obviously we're in unchartered waters but the NCAA will have to make some rulings.
I don't see a minimum number of contests in the Selection Criteria.

Let's just hope this thing is contained by the time post season selection begins we can discuss the issue.

I can honestly say when thinking about what could stop the Tufts Jumbos this year, COVID-19 was not on the list.
laxpop0505

Post by laxpop0505 »

Why would these schools ever reopen? They cannot stop viruses. What is the right time to reopen? Ant student/athlete considering going to a NESCAC school needs to seriously reconsider. Weak Presidents and Boards of Trustees more concerned about their jobs than ramifications for students futures. I didn't expect a risk free/germ free environment when we chose our school. I am not sure who they are accommodating other than their bottom line. I know the lawyers are probably happy...with their fees.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Many, many of these posts are not going to age well.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Nothing But Net wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 pm My youngest son is a Senior this year and I just got off the phone with him. The emotion and the gravity of this being the end of a journey is setting in. I’m sure there are a lot of us out there having these conversations tonight.

As a father, I looked so forward to this moment for so long and to have it end in this way is very humbling. ……. I listened to his heartbreak, while hiding my own grief.

I tried to reassure him that while this door closed that a new one would soon open. That while something that defined him was being torn away was Yes real; this moment was just a spring board for the next chapter.

Tonight, I just want to take a moment and thank all the parents (Dad’s, Mom’s), Coaches, players and competitors that have been a part of my son’s journey…,
N.JPG
This was a tough read for me. Thanks for sharing NBN, it puts a face to the heartbreak that I think we're all feeling right now.

Lacrosse dads get maligned relentlessly - sometimes with good reason, admittedly - but your words tell the story of why we are so collectively passionate. We are accused of all manner of selfish motives for that passion, but in the end it's really about love, pure and simple. Love of our kids, love of the game that has given all of us so much. So much fun, so much time together, so many memories.

So. Cheers to the seniors. And their dads.
laxpop0505

Post by laxpop0505 »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 am Many, many of these posts are not going to age well.
Possibly this one.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

laxpop0505 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:22 am
SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 am Many, many of these posts are not going to age well.
Possibly this one.
Hopefully! That would be the best possible outcome.
overandback

Post by overandback »

If my son was on a NESCAC team I would fight this decision and encourage him and his teammates and coaches and parents to fight it too.
Its outrageous that their idea of protecting their students is to send them home and shut down sports!

Iona College is about 2 miles from the synagogue in New Rochelle, NY that is now zoned off by the National Guard.

While NESCAC schools have cancelled all but online classes and the entire slate of intercollegiate athletics for the remainder of the spring, Iona College has cancelled a few days of classes and thusfar NONE OF ITS ATHLETICS - Winter or Spring.
Doesn't mean they won't - if the virus reaches their campus they most certainly will shut down.
Until then I hope they continue to be vigilant, communicative and informative. Unlike the NESCAC/Ivy league leaders, Iona's reveal a desire to stand up to the enemy, protect their students, and protect the learning and teaching that goes on at the college - not send the kids home and ask them to log on.

Here is what Iona posted today -

3/10/20: Iona College Monitoring State’s Containment Area in New Rochelle
New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo today announced that a 1-mile radius "containment area" around Young Israel of New Rochelle has been enacted, and that the National Guard has been deployed to assist with food delivery and cleaning efforts associated with local Coronavirus prevention efforts.

Iona College’s Task Force Response Team is meeting to assess the implications and is communicating with city and state officials to learn more details of the situation. We are committed to keeping the community informed. We will have more information to share soon and will continue to post it to our website at www.iona.edu/healthupdates.

At this time, please be aware that:

Within the containment area, people are NOT contained, just facilities. Traffic can flow, streets are NOT closed, businesses are open.
The National Guard has been sent to help distribute food and also to help clean facilities. They are NOT there to stop people from traveling in and out of the area.
A satellite testing facility is being set up to increase testing in New Rochelle.
Several schools and houses of worship in the containment area will be closed for two weeks.
Iona College still has NO known or suspected cases of Coronavirus at this time.
Iona College proactively canceled classes as of Monday night, March 9, and started spring break four days early out of an abundance of caution. Classes are not scheduled to be back in session until Monday, March 23. The only exception is Graduate business classes – those are continuing online uninterrupted.
Iona College is using the extra time to help prepare for when students return after spring break, ensuring our students have a successful spring semester, even if moving classes online becomes necessary.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

I think the NESCAC is just the beginning. I am sure there will be a lot more cancellations over the next few weeks.
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

Every D3 season will be on hold by the end of the week. Going a step further, I feel that all spring sports (except maybe March Madness) will be suspended indefinitely. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish or just ignorant to the current state of everyones mindset about what is going on. Whether they are right or wrong, the school simply cannot be liable for bringing students to states that have declared states of emergency. Its a shame but it is the obvious truth. There will be no way to get around it.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:15 am
Nothing But Net wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 pm My youngest son is a Senior this year and I just got off the phone with him. The emotion and the gravity of this being the end of a journey is setting in. I’m sure there are a lot of us out there having these conversations tonight.

N.JPG
This was a tough read for me. Thanks for sharing NBN, it puts a face to the heartbreak that I think we're all feeling right now.

Lacrosse dads get maligned relentlessly - sometimes with good reason, admittedly - but your words tell the story of why we are so collectively passionate. We are accused of all manner of selfish motives for that passion, but in the end it's really about love, pure and simple. Love of our kids, love of the game that has given all of us so much. So much fun, so much time together, so many memories.

So. Cheers to the seniors. And their dads.
Absolute shame that this insanity is going on. Yesterday I drove 2 and a half hours to watch my son's team underperform and get beat by a team they should have competed with better. I then spent the night in that town, got up at 3 AM today to catch a plane for a business trip today. Once there, I will then drive 2 hours to my ultimate destination ... all this when I could have stayed home, watched the game online and caught a direct flight out today. Yet I wouldn't have missed his game for the world and I would do it all again as I know so many of you would. Luckily, my son's a junior and his school hasn't gotten crazy yet but I just can't imagine how many of the seniors and their families feel about all of this ...

Heartbreaking and extremely frustrating to say the least!
NYVA631

Post by NYVA631 »

What an ill-informed rash decision. The universities once again trying to be the smartest in the room when in actuality they’re so scared of being wrong and think it’s better to overreact. Feel very bad for the young men and women affected by this.

I’ve been going to work every day in NYC and no one seems concerned or bothered. Sure it’s good to be proactive but this has gone too far. Tell the NESCAC university presidents to shut off the TV. Pathetic.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I agree with just about every post over the last couple of days. Feel it is very irrational and premature for schools to cancel sporting events ahead of the NCAA taking such action. What information, received from whom, do these schools have that leads to decisions and conclusions the NCAA has not come to? I understand NCAA in the business of making money and their resultant hesitancy to cancel anything especially around time of March Madness. But have to believe if there was a risk to athletes and the community, they would act. Measures can be taken by schools to reduce attendance, which is all any health organization has recommended, vice cancelling. Further, the health of the athletes nor their risk of exposure not at all jeopardized by remaining on campuses over spring breaks and throughout rest of year. In fact, probably better for them as opposed to traveling back to wherever home is.
While I feel for all the NESCAC teams that are pulling out, I’m sure especially hard on Tufts players. Seems like to-date they have proven to be best team in the country and an odds-on favorite for NCAA title. Williams and Amherst probably also feeling like a potential opportunity list.
Will be an interesting discussion if there is an NCAA tournament this year, and who gets invited. How are AQ and at-large bids determined? Only consider teams that have played the whole season? Invite schools that have pulled out based on pre pull-out ranking? Use a strict coaches poll?
Regarding eligibility, my understanding is that as long as a player has not played more than 1/4 of scheduled games, he is eligible for another year. Scheduled games, I believe, also adds one to the regular season total (probably to account for conference tournament). Means most schools have 16 or 17 scheduled games. Can play in 4 and still maintain year of eligibility. Play in 5 and you’ve used up the year.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

+1

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”