York 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2020

Post by DeepPocket »

dingdongdman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 am Congrats to York. I thought W&L was going to be able to sneak that one out when they went up 9-8 but unfortunately York was able to make one final push and flurry of goals to seal the win. Hope to see you guys again in May or it might have to wait till next year.
Many thanks.
W&L showed tenacity late 2nd through the 3rd after being down. If they can harness 4 quarters of that, that’s a team I wouldn’t want to meet in a “loser goes home” scenario.
They have lots of talent on that roster.
Best of luck.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Fandadof3laxers

Post by Fandadof3laxers »

Not impressed yet. Most goals were the result of having time and room, which also indicates a less than average defensive effort by WL.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Fandadof3laxers wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm Not impressed yet. Most goals were the result of having time and room, which also indicates a less than average defensive effort by WL.
The W&L D and especially the 2 younger ssdm’s were soft. The D was slow to slide and the ssdm’s seemed tentative. They have 2 Soph’s starting on D, an lsm and played a Soph ssdm. These guys haven’t seen much time..Koch is a good coach so while their initial outing was a bit ragged ( gave up 3 EMO goals ) they will tighten things up. I think W&L made York look better than they are. York’s first line mids may be quite good, need to see them again. The attack I think is just ok
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 pm York highlights vs W&L

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KlIb9-LCugU
I watched those highlights - not the full game - and while I hate to single any kid out, I feel like the W&L goalie had a rough day. A lot of those goals were from distance, many without much or any obstruction of view. Perhaps as the season wears on he stops more of those shots.
Dehuntshigwa’es

The goalie is actually very good, guys had great looks at the cage from 10-12 yds out, time and room from the middle of the field. No issues in the nets, the D needs to get on people’s hands and push them down the alley.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm I watched those highlights - not the full game - and while I hate to single any kid out, I feel like the W&L goalie had a rough day. A lot of those goals were from distance, many without much or any obstruction of view. Perhaps as the season wears on he stops more of those shots.
Doesn't help that it was a York highlight reel--he also had 12 saves on the day to end just shy of 50%. Maybe one or two soft goals (the one from GLE as the shotclock expires comes to mind), but overall the cage is one of the last places I'd look for answers if I were a W&L fan.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

It is indeed a York highlight reel, from game 1.

It is a strange logic, and most of us seem to have it. A ranked team that you have confidence in, you will have confidence in even when you haven’t seen them play yet. And a similarly ranked team that you have questions on, you will discount the success’ you actually see, as the product of an opponent’s short comings.

Time and space can be created, by pressure, by individual speed, and by smooth transitions on clears, of which I saw a few in the tape. Personally, I like that I saw when there is time and space, York will bury it. People had questions on their offense given the % lost. I’m starting to see where the offense will come from.

What I didn’t like was that it seemed like when York had the lead and the momentum, they again took their foot off the opponent’s throat and let them in. They did that against Cabrini last year in the tournament and it cost them.

More games played will tell the tale. I’m certain Coach has double that in tape of things he would change. And he will change those things, because that’s what great coaches do.
Dehuntshigwa’es

DP I’m certainly a w&L fan but even when W&L went ahead I thought York was in control of the game... York had 3 pipes alone in the first half and for 12 minutes W&L maybe outplayed York you just sensed they lacked the consistency on offense ( TO’s) and that the D could not match up especially 2 of their new ssdm’s.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 am It is indeed a York highlight reel, from game 1.

It is a strange logic, and most of us seem to have it. A ranked team that you have confidence in, you will have confidence in even when you haven’t seen them play yet. And a similarly ranked team that you have questions on, you will discount the success’ you actually see, as the product of an opponent’s short comings.

Time and space can be created, by pressure, by individual speed, and by smooth transitions on clears, of which I saw a few in the tape. Personally, I like that I saw when there is time and space, York will bury it. People had questions on their offense given the % lost. I’m starting to see where the offense will come from.

What I didn’t like was that it seemed like when York had the lead and the momentum, they again took their foot off the opponent’s throat and let them in. They did that against Cabrini last year in the tournament and it cost them.

More games played will tell the tale. I’m certain Coach has double that in tape of things he would change. And he will change those things, because that’s what great coaches do.
DP. Well said top to bottom. Found out York also had a few players out to injury and some that did not play much that had made serious impact in years past. Hope to get these guys back soon as well.

Good things ahead for YCP Lacrosse!

-GO SPARTANS
ChillPaxton

Post by ChillPaxton »

Fandadof3laxers wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm Not impressed yet. Most goals were the result of having time and room, which also indicates a less than average defensive effort by WL.
Makes sense.This is the usual result when D plays straight up zone. Good to know York has enough heat to beat zone. Gens probably could have pressed out a bit more...
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Spartans win 11-3 vs future conference team Eastern. Was impressed with York in the first quarter then maybe took the foot off the gas a bit. Towards end of 4th we started seeing some subs. Falling off after a fast start may be expected a bIt in a cold February matchup. Need to make sure they bring it next week vs rival Stevenson stangs.

Chandler Schmidt continues to impress and looked even more comfortable in person. Jack Michael also looked great today. Child’s will continue to work on the ride and clears, will set them apart in weeks to come.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

LaxFan11 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:31 pm Spartans win 11-3 vs future conference team Eastern. Was impressed with York in the first quarter then maybe took the foot off the gas a bit. Towards end of 4th we started seeing some subs. Falling off after a fast start may be expected a bIt in a cold February matchup. Need to make sure they bring it next week vs rival Stevenson stangs.

Chandler Schmidt continues to impress and looked even more comfortable in person. Jack Michael also looked great today. Child’s will continue to work on the ride and clears, will set them apart in weeks to come.
Agreed. It was apparent early that York had them out classed. Then they seemed to idle a bit. Michael came up with a few big saves, and a few picks of feeds over the goal line. Schmidt looked excellent, as advertised, again. FOGO was less inspiring than last outing, but I didn’t grab the # to see if the freshman took a few draws. Also glad to see Gunnar Reynolds on the field. He took a late hit (penalized unsportsmanlike) last week in the waning minutes, and he looked shaken up. He didn’t miss a beat, and they’re better for it given his skill.

On to next week. Stevenson will be hungry after the loss to Ursinus today.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... experience

Great article posted today providing some insight from Coach Childs as far as personnel questions.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Tough 12-11 loss for York today. They went up 3-0 in the first 5 minutes and then it was down hill from there.

They pushed themselves back into it from down 7-4 to being 10-10 with 5 minutes left in the game. But Stevenson hung tough.

It was a very physical game. Lots of chippy play and the Stevenson crowd came out loud as it was a close drive for a familiar foe.

York did an excellent job when they rode hard on clears. Lots of forced turnovers and transitional opportunities, which made for their strong comeback.

York did not do an excellent job sliding on defense. When Stevenson was able to move the ball well, they found opportunities.

Stevenson is a good team, their goalie played a strong game, and all credit to them for a hard fought victory. They kept their composure after an early 3-0 deficit. That’s some solid coaching and on field leadership right there. If this game is any indicator of the years to come where these two are conference foes, it will be exciting to say the least.

Lots for Coach Childs to work on this week. Lynchburg and Gettysburg looming With RIT and Cabrini not far behind. It won’t get easier for a while. Time to fix some stuff.

One bright spot for me (other than taking in the game with my sons) was seeing York’s young goalie take the ball all the way down himself and pot a goal, that was fantastic.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Impressive showing by the Spartans today vs Lynchburg winning 14-7. Glaring success at the X winning that battle 20-4. Michael came up big time after time and registered 14 saves.

Most of 2nd half was played in York’s defensive zone. Defense counties to improve and looked to slide early and often which really helped hold Lynch in check.

Attack also looks to be getting their mojo. Child’s made some changes after the eastern game and they look to be responding appropriately.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Great outing by York in this contest. Very surprised that the game wasn’t closer. York’s playing very well, pretty well balanced team
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Wow. That’s great! Was at the Villanova / Providence basketball game (Go Friars! - my old man is an alum). And then did philly stuff with family, so I haven’t been up to speed on DIII lacrosse today.

I will have to look for the highlights as they roll out.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Re-run of game can be found on ESPN3 app.- search Lynchburg Hornets and you will find game.
York dominated the 1st half. Coach Childs has a good game plan and team executed very well. Offense attacked from behind or GLE pulling shorties down.Foals came from turning the corner or drew slide and dishes for step downs. A few beats top side. After 2 nice saves early by LYN goalie they all went in. Coach K changed to his freshman goalie who played well. LYN adjusted defensively in 2nd half and it was a battle. York did a real nice job burning clock in 4th. Congrats.and good luck !
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Finished watching the replay. Great to see a DIII game on espn. I know this isn’t the first, but it was a first for me watching. I enjoyed the camera angles. And having the replays of the goals was very nice. Impressed by the commentary and overall feel of the product. Thanks to espn and anyone else responsible for putting that together.

From my couch, it looked like Lynchburg did a fantastic job adjusting coming into the 2nd half. This game could’ve gotten ugly had they not.

York came out firing and never “let up”. This is what they need each and every game. No letting opponents back into it...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”