Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Award

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Award

Post by 51percentcorn »

Interesting that Mike Federico's Hopkins record book achievements and his National HOF Bio reflect he was a 3 time winner but the Kelly award in 1980 listed above was Bob Clements? Were there joint winners that year?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Clem and Piggy split 1st Team AA in 1980, our senior year.
Bobby had a truly amazing year; Michael was the best tender of our college years and was also outstanding that season, but, as I recall, Bobby did have the superior season, with a defense that we wouldn't suggest was the equal of Hopkins. It was very unusual to split 1st Team honors, but understandable.

I have no idea who won the Kelly, but wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Bobby given the season he had, his best.

We were HS class of '76 goalie rivals, Clem at St. Paul's, Piggy at BL, and me at Gilman. We had a lot of fun on and off the field over the years.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:01 am
Bobby had a truly amazing year; Michael was the best tender of our college years and was also outstanding that season, but, as I recall, Bobby did have the superior season, with a defense that we wouldn't suggest was the equal of Hopkins. It was very unusual to split 1st Team honors, but understandable.

I have no idea who won the Kelly, but wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Bobby given the season he had, his best.

We were HS class of '76 goalie rivals, Clem at St. Paul's, Piggy at BL, and me at Gilman. We had a lot of fun on and off the field over the years.
Clem won the Ensign C. Markland Kelly award in 1980. He was a great Generals goalie and all around good guy to boot.

valaxfan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1980 ◘ Bob Clements ◘ Washington & Lee
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

admin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 am 1980 ◘ Bob Clements ◘ Washington & Lee
I like ADMIN.

valaxfan
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

valaxfan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 am

Clem won the Ensign C. Markland Kelly award in 1980. He was a great Generals goalie and all around good guy to boot.

valaxfan
Agreed; and I'd add Michael's a very good guy too!
Great rivals.

It's indeed pretty surprising that the Hall of Fame and Hopkins would get the Kelly aspect wrong, if indeed not split. I recall this being a bit of quandary for the AA selection committee led by Bob Merrick, given that both these guys were so outstanding. But Bobby did have the superior season in 1980, while Michael's team won the National Championship with Michael's play vs the UVA tender's arguably being the difference in double OT. My former Gilman teammate for our championship season, Jeff Harris, scored the winning goal fed by Jim Bidne.

It would have made sense to give the Kelly to Clem, taking nothing away from Federico's great career.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

admin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm Bob Clements
Thanks, valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

I would not be a great Generals fan if I did not mention my good buddy, Sterling "Skeet" Chadwick, the other Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Award winner that I knew, not to mention Mr. Clements back in 1950, the original Clem. But, I was lucky enough to follow Skeet and his teammates in the glory years of 1973 and 1974, when lacrosse was magic in Lexington. I will never forget the UVA game in 74 at Scott Stadium, over 10,000 fans came to see the game, many of them from Lexington, probably the whole town, and to see Skeet outduel Rodney Rullman on the great sunny day. In my office, I have the picture of Jack "Duds" Dudley, scoring against Rullman, and my favorite attackmen, Dave Warfield in the background. Loved those days. Even when W&L should have been the Number 2 seed in 74 and had to go to Homewood against Jack and Hops, and lost by 1, that game should have been in Lexington, still feel robbed by the selection committee. There would have been 12,000 folks to see that game in Lexington atleast. Coach McHenry had already made plans to have bleachers installed to handle the crowds. Wilson Field seated 7,500 at the time, my dad would have been involved in the installation. We were all excited only to find out we were seeded number 3.

Anyway, back to great Generals goalies, Clem and Skeet, and he didn't win the award but Charlie Brown another great goalie when we were D1.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:58 am I would not be a great Generals fan if I did not mention my good buddy, Sterling "Skeet" Chadwick, the other Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Award winner that I knew, not to mention Mr. Clements back in 1950, the original Clem. But, I was lucky enough to follow Skeet and his teammates in the glory years of 1973 and 1974, when lacrosse was magic in Lexington. I will never forget the UVA game in 74 at Scott Stadium, over 10,000 fans came to see the game, many of them from Lexington, probably the whole town, and to see Skeet outduel Rodney Rullman on the great sunny day. In my office, I have the picture of Jack "Duds" Dudley, scoring against Rullman, and my favorite attackmen, Dave Warfield in the background. Loved those days. Even when W&L should have been the Number 2 seed in 74 and had to go to Homewood against Jack and Hops, and lost by 1, that game should have been in Lexington, still feel robbed by the selection committee. There would have been 12,000 folks to see that game in Lexington atleast. Coach McHenry had already made plans to have bleachers installed to handle the crowds. Wilson Field seated 7,500 at the time, my dad would have been involved in the installation. We were all excited only to find out we were seeded number 3.

Anyway, back to great Generals goalies, Clem and Skeet, and he didn't win the award but Charlie Brown another great goalie when we were D1.

valaxfan
There were also plans to cut the grass and brush on the steps that led up the hill on the western endzone area of Wilson Field, to allow for folks to sit on the grass and watch the game. W&L would have done everything possible to make that game happen in Lexington back then.

valaxfan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm
valaxfan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 am

valaxfan
Agreed; and I'd add Michael's a very good guy too!
Great rivals.

It's indeed pretty surprising that the Hall of Fame and Hopkins would get the Kelly aspect wrong, if indeed not split. I recall this being a bit of quandary for the AA selection committee led by Bob Merrick, given that both these guys were so outstanding. But Bobby did have the superior season in 1980, while Michael's team won the National Championship with Michael's play vs the UVA tender's arguably being the difference in double OT. My former Gilman teammate for our championship season, Jeff Harris, scored the winning goal fed by Jim Bidne.

It would have made sense to give the Kelly to Clem, taking nothing away from Federico's great career.
If Clem's team was close to contending for the NT that year, I'm sure he would gladly given it up. I know Skeet Chadwick and the great Gennies 74 team would have. Michael was a great goalie too and has the NC to show for it. 3 great goalies and people to boot and all MD products.

valaxfan

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”